PDA

View Full Version : Stringing at the NCAA's

vsgut
04-29-2009, 04:22 AM
Who is the on site stringer for the NCAA'?
Is it Phil? and who else?

Fedace
04-29-2009, 05:59 AM
I think it is whoever that strings for Texas A&M University tennis team. I don't know of any big time stringers at College Station, Tx.

ClarkC
04-29-2009, 06:06 AM
I think it is whoever that strings for Texas A&M University tennis team. I don't know of any big time stringers at College Station, Tx.

Big-time stringers? How do you get rated as a big time stringer? Do you have to be on the cover of Big-Time Stringers magazine?

Fedace
04-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Big-time stringers? How do you get rated as a big time stringer? Do you have to be on the cover of Big-Time Stringers magazine?

Yes, big time would be someone from RPNY, P1 and so on.

raven5288
04-29-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm a student manager for Texas and I'll be stringing during the first two rounds. I suppose it's the same for most schools. I'm definitely gonna make some mad money during the tournament lol.

Fedace
04-29-2009, 09:20 PM
^^^What i thought the service was for Free. the Honor of stringing at the NCAA tournament of the year isn't enough ?

raven5288
04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
lol you thought wrong. We charge 15 a racket and teams usually supply their own string. Why would it be free? I'm a student spending time and effort and I definitely need the money, and it's not some honorable job like you make it out to be. It's stringing tennis rackets.

Fedace
04-29-2009, 10:15 PM
^^you know a bad string job can cause the guy to miss a crucial shot on break point or match point and send the entire team packing. right ? and their Lifelong dream going up in the sky ....

atatu
04-30-2009, 06:03 AM
lol you thought wrong. We charge 15 a racket and teams usually supply their own string. Why would it be free? I'm a student spending time and effort and I definitely need the money, and it's not some honorable job like you make it out to be. It's stringing tennis rackets.

I noticed al the UT guys use the same string ? Some red string, what is it ?

Seacoast Stringer
04-30-2009, 06:05 AM
^^you know a bad string job can cause the guy to miss a crucial shot on break point or match point and send the entire team packing. right ? and their Lifelong dream going up in the sky ....

That's why he gets paid...:)

Joeyg
04-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Hey Dr Fedace, if it is such an "honor", why don't you leave your busy, lucrative medical practice and volunteer for a few days?

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
04-30-2009, 08:43 AM
^^^ The "red string" I think would be Technifibre; I know they are pretty generous with college teams- I know the The U of Arizona team uses it a lot for that very reason, (plus it's a pretty good string).

The 'honor" of stringing at the NCAA tournament? What a riot.... Hows about you come over to the playing site for the "honor" of doing some laundry or running out to Taco Bell ?

Lindsay
04-30-2009, 08:46 AM
^^^ The "red string" I think would be Technifibre; I know they are pretty generous with college teams- The U of Arizona players use it a lot for that very reason, (plus it's a pretty good string).

The 'honor" of stringing at an NCAA tournament? What a riot.... Hows about you come over to the playing site for the "honor" of doing some laundry or something useful??

And even more prestigious would be a professional event. Who wants to volunteer to stand on your feet for 20 straight hours, tear your fingers to shreds, while watching someone make millions playing with racquets you strung for the fun of it???

raven5288
05-01-2009, 08:09 PM
yeah, we're using Technifibre Pro Red Code. The guys go through this string like it's nothing lol. One of our players was using BB ALU for a while but he was going through that faster than the red code, so he switched back.

babolat15
05-01-2009, 08:25 PM
the vandy team uses red code

staTennis
05-01-2009, 11:42 PM

are you serious??? how old are you?? are you really a standford doctor like these people say?? the more i read your posts the more it stands out that you are a weird fellow.

Fedace
05-02-2009, 12:44 AM
the vandy team uses red code

Several guys on Stanford uses the Red code as well. I am not sure how many guys will switch to Black code. We will have to see.

Seacoast Stringer
05-02-2009, 05:17 AM
Tecnifibre has made some good inroads with the college market. Several colleges in my region have a major "red code" presence.

Bash and Crash
05-02-2009, 10:29 AM
are you serious??? how old are you?? are you really a standford doctor like these people say?? the more i read your posts the more it stands out that you are a weird fellow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: took the words right outta my mouth

rasajadad
05-06-2009, 05:05 AM
I've just been named the "Official Stringer" for the D-III's this weekend.

Lindsay
05-06-2009, 05:11 AM
I've just been named the "Official Stringer" for the D-III's this weekend.

Excellent, Congratulations! Where is the D3s being held?

rasajadad
05-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Excellent, Congratulations! Where is the D3s being held?

Thanks!

This region is being held at Amherst College this weekend.

Wondertoy
05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Fedace, is that Clayton on your avatar?

T10s747
05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
It's weird how hack tennis players glamorize stringing on this board. I see stringing as a mundane menial hard labor at $15 a racquet whether you string at your local club at junior nationals. So you stand over a machine to make $30 per hour if you're fast. What's glamorous about that?

NickC
05-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Fedace, is that Clayton on your avatar?

It's Clayton when he was a junior in High School, if I'm not mistaken. Might have been his senior photo, but I think it's from when he was a junior. Fedace has been stalking Clayton for years now.

It's weird how hack tennis players glamorize stringing on this board. I see stringing as a mundane menial hard labor at $15 a racquet whether you string at your local club at junior nationals. So you stand over a machine to make $30 per hour if you're fast. What's glamorous about that?

30 bucks an hour ain't glamourous, but it's decent cash if you're volunteering and have nothing better to do.

rasajadad
05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
It's Clayton when he was a junior in High School, if I'm not mistaken. Might have been his senior photo, but I think it's from when he was a junior. Fedace has been stalking Clayton for years now.

30 bucks an hour ain't glamourous, but it's decent cash if you're volunteering and have nothing better to do.

Don't forget all the free t-shirts!

FYI, I only strung 18 this weekend for men's and womens' D-III's.

Lindsay
05-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Your #s are a little off. If you're fast, you can be stringing 3-4 per hour, depending on the racquet and string. And I've seen labor run up to $20 at Pro events, much higher at GrandSlams(but stringers don't make 100%). So if you could average 3 an hour, at $20 per frame, you'd be doing ok considering the crazy long hours the first few days. $60 an hour is more than 3 times what the average American makes.

There are plenty of other perks as well. When you're not stringing(therefore making money) you're watching tennis, usually for free. Not a bad life for a tennis nut.

eeytennis
05-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Does anyone have an actually career of stringing? i can't imagine that being someone's only job...even if you DO make $60 an hour, you aren't doing it every week, plus, when you factor in travel costs, etc., it probably comes out to much less.

Does anyone know of someone who strings full-time?

davidahenry
05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
There are plenty of other perks as well. When you're not stringing(therefore making money) you're watching tennis, usually for free. Not a bad life for a tennis nut.

Nicely said Lindsay.

DH

davidahenry
05-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Does anyone have an actually career of stringing? i can't imagine that being someone's only job...even if you DO make $60 an hour, you aren't doing it every week, plus, when you factor in travel costs, etc., it probably comes out to much less.

I think John at Guts and Glory Tennis in Atlanta strings for a full-time income. (He also retails strings and other tennis trinkets.) Atlanta is quite a tennis hotbed though - huge population, great weather for most of the year, etc. Other cities (especially further north) may not have the market potential to support full-time stringing.

I'm sure there are others who earn a living from stringing but probably not many.

Of course, there are plenty of people who own tennis specialty shops and earn a living from that - which includes stringing. But they don't earn a living from stringing alone - there are racquet sales, shoe sales, clothing sales, etc.

Take care.

DH

vsgut
05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I string racquets and customize/match racquets. That is my full time job. I personally do around 5000 a year. I do it for GT and a chain of big box stores that I manage.

Chuck

Lindsay
05-13-2009, 05:04 AM

I do. Last year I did 6,000 frames on a 4 day a week schedule. And this year I will be traveling to 22 tournaments(30 total weeks) and working in my shop in my off weeks. And I'm not alone.

eeytennis
05-13-2009, 06:29 AM
I string racquets and customize/match racquets. That is my full time job. I personally do around 5000 a year. I do it for GT and a chain of big box stores that I manage.

Chuck

Hmm interesting, thanks for the the response!

eeytennis
05-13-2009, 06:33 AM
I do. Last year I did 6,000 frames on a 4 day a week schedule. And this year I will be traveling to 22 tournaments(30 total weeks) and working in my shop in my off weeks. And I'm not alone.

As in the year 2008? Hmm, i didn't know that upstate NY had such a market for racket stringing.

randomname
05-13-2009, 07:02 AM

How does one break into the stringing industry? Also, how much does it pay?

Lindsay
05-13-2009, 07:57 AM
As in the year 2008? Hmm, i didn't know that upstate NY had such a market for racket stringing.

Believe me, it doesn't... No I didn't live here for all of 2008, and won't be anymore after tomorrow. A year ago this month was when all that whirl-wind stringing ended. So May-May. Back to sunny weather... can't wait.

eeytennis
05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Believe me, it doesn't... No I didn't live here for all of 2008, and won't be anymore after tomorrow. A year ago this month was when all that whirl-wind stringing ended. So May-May. Back to sunny weather... can't wait.

Ahh I get it, well have a nice move back down south, don't blame you for wanting to go back where it's warm and sunny year round.

Joeyg
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Lindsay,

That averages out to almost 29 rackets a day for a 4 day work week over the course of a year. Not to say you aren't telling the truth, but that sounds a little unbelievable.

Lindsay
05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Lindsay,

That averages out to almost 29 rackets a day for a 4 day work week over the course of a year. Not to say you aren't telling the truth, but that sounds a little unbelievable.

Google my name. There are more than a few articles about the numbers I did and the #s my store did. I don't think any shop in the us strings more than wedid. We took in more than 100 frames a day and they employed 3 full time stringers that worked 12 hour plus days. I would post the store name but it would get starred. You can probably figureit out.

davidahenry
05-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Lindsay,

OT but... Nice signature JoeyG. lol.

DH

ichibanosaru
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Lindsay,

Hey Joeyg,

Yup, she's the real deal and is a friend of a friend of mine. She cranks them out with the best in the business.

Take care-

arunstennis
06-20-2009, 04:36 PM
do they have to pay for it