PDA

View Full Version : Playing with soft Gamma ball?

QuErorZ
04-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi;

I didn`t have chance to go play tennis on tennis court with other people everyday. I could do this just 2-3 days a week. But i didn`t want to stop training and i decided to play tennis with wall. Only the wall in my house was a garage door and that garage door had glasses on(which wasn`t appropriate to play with real tennis ball). And i saw soft Gamma Revolution balls(http://206.210.94.83/product/image/additional/which_foam_ball3.jpg) on store and i bought them.
I play 1 hour with this ball everyday. I am 19 years old. I have been playing tennis for 2 years. I want to know if this ball has benefits(or harms) for me? If so what are they?:confused:

Help me about that please. Thank you.

Cindysphinx
04-29-2009, 05:44 AM
I have some of these balls. I think they are the best things in the world for volleying. You have to create your own pace with good technique. No way can you just block such a ball when you volley.

QuErorZ
04-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Thank you but i am using these balls to improve my groundstrokes. What do you think about this?

JesseT
04-29-2009, 06:54 AM
benefits:
- saves money on buying pressurized balls
- saves your garage (cause I'd...um..."have a stern discussion" with my son if he hit regular balls against the garage)
- saves your parents' ears (again, if I heard thump-thump-thump....'stern discussion')

In short, you can practice more cause you're not waiting for a good time, worried about damage or getting more balls.

Harms?
Not many. Ummm...lack of true feedback. No real gauge of stroke depth. Won't develop watching the bounce+footwork+proper stroke.
But your wall is better than not practicing. I'd take Cindy's advice and start doing volleys against the wall....groundstroke, follow, volley.

Asking for suggestions?
Start saving money and buy/rent a ball machine. That'll help on your groundstrokes more than soft balls on a garage. Every little bit helps, but the feedback of your standing at the baseline and putting a ball 6" inside the other baseline is still the *best* practice.

QuErorZ
04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks so much Jesset. This helped a lot. And i guess the other benefit of this ball is that it helps to improve your spin a lot. I was a flat hitter but now i have a remarkable amount of topspin on my shots right now. Thanks .

Cindysphinx
04-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I've hit groundstrokes with them also. I don't think they are as valuable for that except the situation you mention (indoors in limited space). On a regular tennis court, all those balls do is make people hit harder. This can be done with great technique or horrible technique.

The thing I like about using them for volleying is that it exposes weak volley technique immediately, while slowing things down enough for you to try to change bad habits if you are so inclined.

QuErorZ
04-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Sir CindySphinx my best regards!
You solved a biiig problem of mine right on the message above!!! My coach was trying to find what makes me hit so hard in last a few weeks. And now i know what made it. Thanks so muchh!!! This is a great discovery for me.