PDA

View Full Version : College Video

ajaxman
04-29-2009, 09:07 AM
This is a friend of my playing:

Comments are welcome

captain kirk
04-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Your friend is a pretty good tennis player I must say. With his height and power he will definitely be a killer at the net.

He doesn't seem very consistent though, 2-3 shots at most, maybe he should work on being more consistent than smacking the ball hard. Also, a common mistake when shooting tennis recruitment DVDs, he should set the camera so that the whole court is visible, not just him and his strokes because when the coach is going to watch the video, he doesn't know where the ball is going. Just my two cents.

All in all, nothing much he should worry about, only minor things to fix. After a year of playing at college, his game should drastically improve!

I don't know whether or not he is good for DI or DII but he should end up somewhere in there :)

ci2ca
04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Good looking strokes but coaches need matchplay. I'd say not even DIII.

ajaxman
04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
He was top 100 ranked U16 a few years ago in my country, won a lot of tournaments. Maybe this is not the best video, but you can see his game. He is very consistent, his hitting partner don't.

captain kirk
04-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Good looking strokes but coaches need matchplay. I'd say not even DIII.
That's a little too harsh. It all depends on how realistic the player is.
Very many kids today think that they are good enough to get a full scholarship, but that's a common misconception.
Coaches rarely give out full-rides these days, only to the super talented or other specific cases.
Let's be real, it's a business, coaches want to get as much as possible for their money. It's called economic efficiency. I'm not trying to ba a smartass, but your friend has potential and the genetic predispositions (height, strength) which will only help him to further excel in college tennis.
If he also has academic strenghts and not just "racquet-ability" then he is looking at a very nice package as far as a scholarship goes :)

ajaxman
05-03-2009, 10:02 AM
any other comments?

ci2ca
05-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I think I was harsh with my predicament because I'm from CA and CA is a tennis hot spot and the level of tennis here is pretty high. I think geographical variances affect opinions alot. Say a college tennis team in like Missouri compared to UCLA. Your friend definitely has the strokes and has much more room for improvement.

plasma
05-03-2009, 08:38 PM
PTR coach and former NCAA player here, this guy is a solid d2 with a d1 serve, looks like great coachable potential....needs to get much more coaching and tough comp...needs to work on volleying footwork, not just being a spaz, he is definetely good enough to learn pro level ball and footwork in 2 years, not currently there though, not enough pivot, not enough legs,
looks like a good kid though, good luck!!!