PDA

View Full Version : League DQ Question

DaveG
04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
My wife plays on a 2.5 league and a lady got DQ'd, not on her team but on a team they play. They said something about a 3 strike rule? What is that and what do the look for before they bump you up?

JavierLW
04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
My wife plays on a 2.5 league and a lady got DQ'd, not on her team but on a team they play. They said something about a 3 strike rule? What is that and what do the look for before they bump you up?

www.usta.com

It has all sorts of advice on it, go into the Adult League section.

amarone
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Start here (http://www.usta.com/USTA/Global/Active/Custom%20Pages/Leagues/1237_NTRP.aspx), and follow the various links.

But in summary: each player has a skill-level rating under the National Tennis Rating Program (NTRP) that is adjusted after every match according to the result in that match, taking into account the margin of victory/defeat and the strength of ther opponent(s) (and partner, if playing doubles). This rating is called the Dynamic NTRP, for obvious reasons. The rating goes to two decimal places. For example, your wife's rating could be 2.37. Once a year, this rating is used and some magic applied to normalize across the country to produce the year-end rating to be used for the following year's matches. The exact rating is not published - a player is told their rating to the next half point (so a 2.37 is stated to be a 2.5 player). At this point a player has a computer rating and cannot be dynamically disqualified.

If a self-rated player (or one who has appealed down to a lower level) has their dynamic rating rise to a level that puts them at the top of the next level (e.g. a 2.5 player gets a dynamic rating that suggests they are a good 3.0 player), then they get a "strike". If they accumulate three strikes, they are disqualified.

To answer your question "what do they look for", nobody looks at anything. It is all done by computer. The exact algorithm is kept secret.

Jim A
05-01-2009, 03:41 AM
that was good info, should have read the FAQ earlier as I had no idea that tournament play had no effect on self-rated players and "strikes"

DaveG
05-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Thanks! Good info...