PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 self rated player on 3.0 team?

idalewis
04-30-2009, 05:54 AM
Came across a player who is self rated at 3.5, playing on a 3.0 team while listed on the team roster as 2.5. Is this possible?

burosky
04-30-2009, 09:51 AM
No, it isn't possible. If he is listed on the team roster as 2.5, he's rating is 2.5. This will allow him to play up to 3.0 or 3.5 and he can rate himself a 3.5 but as far as the system goes, he is a 2.5.

spiderman123
04-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Came across a player who is self rated at 3.5, playing on a 3.0 team while listed on the team roster as 2.5. Is this possible?

How did you find out that he is a self-rated 3.5?

Is the team that he is playing on as a 2.5 a USTA league team?

JavierLW
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM

Maybe you caught it before the ratings didnt get updated in case they appealed their rating or something.

The "Find a Rating" system isnt using the same data as the system that shows what a players rating is, and the data that shows up on your team roster.

Or maybe it's just a computer glitch and nobody caught it and they're trying to get away with it. Report it to your league coordinator and maybe they'll catch it in case some shenigans are going on.

idalewis
04-30-2009, 11:12 AM
How did you find out that he is a self-rated 3.5?

Is the team that he is playing on as a 2.5 a USTA league team?

I searched the player under "Find a Rating" and the rating came up as "3.5 S" as of 3/8/09.

The player plays on a 3.0 USTA League Adult team.

idalewis
04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Maybe you caught it before the ratings didnt get updated in case they appealed their rating or something.

The "Find a Rating" system isnt using the same data as the system that shows what a players rating is, and the data that shows up on your team roster.

Or maybe it's just a computer glitch and nobody caught it and they're trying to get away with it. Report it to your league coordinator and maybe they'll catch it in case some shenigans are going on.

I didn't realize the systems used different data. I'll report it to my league coordinator. The same player has already played in 2 matches on the 3.0 team and won both.

spiderman123
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I didn't realize the systems used different data. I'll report it to my league coordinator. The same player has already played in 2 matches on the 3.0 team and won both.

Did the player win both matches very easily?

Maybe the player did a self-appeal got himself bumped to 3.5 and has not played a 3.0 match since.

To complain, the player must have played at 3.0 *after* you saw the rating as 3.5 S.

amarone
04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I didn't realize the systems used different data.
It's more a matter of timing. The Find a Player system reports the last year-end rating, or self-rating, or bump-up. Find-a-Player can be behind the times in Early Start Leagues, where ratings are also run during the year, but any updates are not shown in Find-a-Rating.

The roster shows the rating that a player had when they joined the roster. If the player is subsequently bumped, the rating shown in the roster is not updated.

The only ways I can see the particular circumstance arising are:

- like others have said, he initially self-rated at 2.5, joined a roster, then appealed his own rating to 3.5
- he self-rated at 3.5, then got computer-rated at 2.5 for Early Start purposes (which would not show up in find-a-rating). There does not seem to have been enough time for this to occur, if he only self-rated in March of this year.

I do wonder whether the USTA would even notice if he had self-appealed up to 3.5 and continued to play 3.0. I know that if a 3.0 player gets DQed, TennisLink does not notice if he continues to play on the 3.0 team.

idalewis
05-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Here's the answer I received from my section's Director Of Adult Competition:

This is what I think happened. Iíll check with the player.

(Player) self-rated and got a 2.5. (Player) did not choose the correct rating during the self-rate process. (Playerís) captain told (player) that their rating was 2.5 on the roster. A self-rated player can appeal their rating ďup.Ē (Player) probably appealed their rating up and didnít realize they got it up to 3.5.

Since I received this response, the player is now listed as a 3.0 player on their team roster but still rated 3.5 on the player's Individual Record page and still self rated as 3.5 in Find a Rating.

spiderman123
05-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Here's the answer I received from my section's Director Of Adult Competition:

This is what I think happened. Iíll check with the player.

(Player) self-rated and got a 2.5. (Player) did not choose the correct rating during the self-rate process. (Playerís) captain told (player) that their rating was 2.5 on the roster. A self-rated player can appeal their rating ďup.Ē (Player) probably appealed their rating up and didnít realize they got it up to 3.5.

Since I received this response, the player is now listed as a 3.0 player on their team roster but still rated 3.5 on the player's Individual Record page and still self rated as 3.5 in Find a Rating.

Again, when was the last time he played a match on the 3.0 team?

idalewis
05-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Again, when was the last time he played a match on the 3.0 team?

Played this past Friday on 3.0 team.