PDA

View Full Version : which side at beginning of match?

canadave
04-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Just curious, not knowing the answer--at the beginning of a singles match, how is it determined which side of the court each player will start on?

Nuke
04-30-2009, 09:43 AM
When you spin the racquet or toss a coin, the winner gets to choose to serve/receive, or pick the side. If he chooses to serve/receiver, then the other player gets to pick the side.

canadave
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
ah, okay, figured....thanks.

woodrow1029
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Just to add to that, in addition to choosing serve/receive or which side, they can also elect to defer the choice to their opponent.

jrod
04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Just to add to that, in addition to choosing serve/receive or which side, they can also elect to defer the choice to their opponent.

Woodrow- In your experience, how often do you see this happen? Also, why would a player do this?

Cindysphinx
04-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Also, is there any strategy to deciding which side to receive on if your opponent wins the toss and elects to serve? Or if they elect a side, is there a strategy in deciding whether to have them serve first?

I mean, if sun and wind are a factor, then both players will eventually get the good side and the bad side. If there is a fast way or rule of thumb that makes sense, I'd love to know what it is.

Personally, I prefer to serve first because I don't enjoy serving under the pressure at 4-5 or 5-6. Beyond that, my choices are pretty random.

woodrow1029
04-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Woodrow- In your experience, how often do you see this happen? Also, why would a player do this?
It happens quite a bit actually. I always defer the choice when I play in a tournament when it's outdoors. It's the only way to make sure that your first service game is on the side of the court that you want.

For example, A wins the toss and wants to make sure the sun is to his back when he serves his first service game. If he defers, then whatever B chooses to do, A can pick what he wants to get it his way when he serves.

jrod
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
It happens quite a bit actually. I always defer the choice when I play in a tournament when it's outdoors. It's the only way to make sure that your first service game is on the side of the court that you want.

For example, A wins the toss and wants to make sure the sun is to his back when he serves his first service game. If he defers, then whatever B chooses to do, A can pick what he wants to get it his way when he serves.

Makes perfect sense to me, thanks!

kevsaenz
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM

I do it all the time. I prefer to receive first and I'm also left handed. If I win the toss I will often times give them to option and they usually serve, this lets me pick the side so that the server will serve into the sun first.

JavierLW
04-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I do it all the time. I prefer to receive first and I'm also left handed. If I win the toss I will often times give them to option and they usually serve, this lets me pick the side so that the server will serve into the sun first.

I do the same thing in doubles when I have a lefty partner and on top of that we want the lefty to serve first before I do. (because that's our best game and we want to see more of it)

Otherwise in singles Id probably not mind doing it as well if the sun is a big issue. I dont want to accidently get stuck staring at the sun for my first service game.

Steady Eddy
04-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Tennis courts always face north/south. The taller players starts out on the North side, shorty covers the south side. This is for the northern hemisphere. If you're playing 'down under' then the taller player starts out on the south side, instead.

Cruzer
05-01-2009, 03:45 PM

When I play mixed with my wife we almost always let the opponents choose. I am left handed, she is right handed and if we are playing a day match when the sun can be an issue for the server letting the opponents choose ensures we get the serving set up the way we want it.
Many times when we give the opponents their choice they look at you oddly and then say "we will serve on this side" and then we have to explain they only get to choose either the serve/receive or the side, not both.

gogeta087
05-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Only time I let the opponent choose is when I pick the side of the court (Back to the sun or Hitting into the wind), and since they usually elect to serve without thinking of the elements, I have an advantage for that early break. If they catch on and let me serve, lobs!