PDA

View Full Version : n00b question...

NHplayer
04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
There is a common thing I've noticed with many of the top pros - Del Potro, Federer, and Safin - they don't use a shock absorber. Why not? The ball sounds so much more solid coming off the strings. But then again, who am I to say this lol...

Please don't flame me, I'm just a n00b.

bladepdb
04-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Adding a shock absorber/dampener takes off the vibrations from stringbed. These vibrations are both the vibrations you hear as sound and the vibrations that are sent to your arm.

Many pros like to feel their shot exactly how it is, without damping/losing any of the vibrations. This is why you'll see many players play without a shock absorber.

It also depends on the player. Some like the damp feel, others like to feel the vibrations. Some just like to feel exactly what the stringbed is feeling.

One thing though, on Federer's case (don't know about Safin & del Potro), Federer uses string savers in the center of his stringbed (and slightly upper portion as well). These string savers actually also have a slight damping effect, so adding a shock absorber to that would probably make the racquet feel very muted and let Federer feel probably no vibrations from teh stringbed whatsoever.

Lastly, sound is a physical phenomenon, so when the strings vibrate more, the more sound is produced. This is why racquets with shock absorbers sound more "quiet" (muted) than racquets without, and also why pros shots often sound like a loud pop.

ilikephobo
04-30-2009, 08:53 PM
my strings feel alot looser when i hit with a dampner.
But i like that soft feel.. Rubber band dampners for the win :D

djokster
04-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Doesn't Federer use power pads on the throat also?

bladepdb
04-30-2009, 09:02 PM

Haven't seen those on Fed's. No reason to have em :\

mjv384
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
And Del Potro also uses the clover/ shamrock wilson dampener. Dampeners are pretty much just a preference to any player; Whatever feeling that they prefer.

NHplayer
04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Okay, I Googled some images and Nadal and Roddick both use a damper of some sort. So bladepdb is right, and thanks for the well laid-out answer, that it's all about personal preference.

vsbabolat
04-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Yes Federer uses power pads.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Federer_2009_Rome_Masters.jpg

pricey_aus
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Adding a shock absorber/dampener takes off the vibrations from stringbed. These vibrations are both the vibrations you hear as sound and the vibrations that are sent to your arm.

Many pros like to feel their shot exactly how it is, without damping/losing any of the vibrations. This is why you'll see many players play without a shock absorber.

It also depends on the player. Some like the damp feel, others like to feel the vibrations. Some just like to feel exactly what the stringbed is feeling.

One thing though, on Federer's case (don't know about Safin & del Potro), Federer uses string savers in the center of his stringbed (and slightly upper portion as well). These string savers actually also have a slight damping effect, so adding a shock absorber to that would probably make the racquet feel very muted and let Federer feel probably no vibrations from teh stringbed whatsoever.

Lastly, sound is a physical phenomenon, so when the strings vibrate more, the more sound is produced. This is why racquets with shock absorbers sound more "quiet" (muted) than racquets without, and also why pros shots often sound like a loud pop.

Vibration Dampners do absolutely nothing to dampen the vibrations, they just change the sound of the ball coming off the racquet. You still get the vibrations, you just get rid of the 'ping' sound

strungup
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Just to add, Fed only uses stringsavers on X4 & 6 strings, not in the centre of stringbed. Also powerpads, if you compare Feds to standard [K]Six-one Tour throat area it has 3 protruding lumps where a standard is almost flush. The name powerpad is completely misleading as it purpose is to round out the radius of the string not to add power..

chief wiggum
05-01-2009, 03:15 PM
It is all about preference.

David_Is_Right
05-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Vibration Dampners do absolutely nothing to dampen the vibrations, they just change the sound of the ball coming off the racquet. You still get the vibrations, you just get rid of the 'ping' sound

Sound is vibration. The sound generated is produced by the vibration of the strings. How can the sound change, without the vibrations changing?

A dampened sound means dampened vibrations.