PDA

View Full Version : Usta 3.5

TennisJunkie84
05-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey guys and girls, I am playing in a 3.5 league and everything is going great. We have won every match but I feel like my timing on forehands and return of serves is off. I get nervous returning serves because of the net guy poaching. I use a extreme eastern grip and try to use a closed stance when hitting. I know form and footwork are important and I am working hard on that. Whats a good way of practicing timing? and where should the raquet come into contact with the ball?

Steady Eddy
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't know. I wouldn't even have read this thread if I'd known what it was about. But the title "Usta 3.5" doesn't tell a person much.

beernutz
05-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey guys and girls, I am playing in a 3.5 league and everything is going great. We have won every match but I feel like my timing on forehands and return of serves is off. I get nervous returning serves because of the net guy poaching. I use a extreme eastern grip and try to use a closed stance when hitting. I know form and footwork are important and I am working hard on that. Whats a good way of practicing timing? and where should the raquet come into contact with the ball?

I am in the same boat as you wrt worrying about the net man on service returns but unfortunately I'm only 50% this season in matches so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

I don't have any advice about timing but I have decided that I have my best returns by trying to keep the ball low or by getting it high and keeping it above the comfort level of the net person. Also switching from a midsize to an oversize racquet has helped my doubles quite a bit.

ctdeuce
05-01-2009, 07:13 PM
take the ball in front of you for both forehand and backhand shots. Only time I let the ball even get CLOSE to even is on slice's when I want to hit something tricky.

TennisJunkie84
05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I will give it a shot. I never really had this problem until playing doubles in USTA matches. It seems like it's mostly mental because I never used to have a problem with returns.