PDA

View Full Version : My forearm hurts real bad - Help!

gplracer
04-05-2004, 09:17 AM
My forearm hurts real bad. With my palm up it is the inside of the forearm near the elbow. Before my tendons on my arm hurt on top but now that is gone and this has appeared. Ity feels better after I warm up but still hurts. What could cause this and what is the best way to get rid of it? I play 4.5 tennis and have played with no issue for the last 20 years. Thanks!!!

butchrey
04-05-2004, 08:01 PM
It is a case of golfer's elbow. Try the following:

1. Rest from tennis as long as the pain is present!

2. If the pain is less than 3 days, apply ice compress 15mins 3x daily. If the pain is more than 3 days, apply hot compress 15mins 3x daily.

3. Wear an armband and put the compression near the affected tendon.

4. Take analgesics, if needed.

5. Consult a physical and rehab physician for a therapeutic program.

6. When you are alright, use soft, multifilament strings strung at the low recommended tension range. Use a relatively heavy, head light and flexible racquet. The stiffness RDC should be less than 65.

7. Consult a tennis pro to evaluate your strokes especially the forehand and serve. Take videos of your shotmaking.

Get well soon,

Butch

gplracer
04-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Thanks Butch I really appreciate the information. I think I changed some of my strokes because of my previous injury.

YEMntFtb
04-13-2004, 05:01 PM
changing your strokes may only hurt your game - i suggest advil, rest and ice before and after you play, for me this keeps my forearm pain to a minimun and allows me to keep using hte same strokes

dozu
04-22-2004, 12:12 PM
a softer racket is the key..... and an RDC rating of 60 or lower is preferred....

I have had golfer's elbow last year and had a long quest for the right racket, finally found it in Dunlop Revelation Select Pro, 21mm beam 62 RDC with ISIS handle.... nowadays I can play 5 times a week no problem.

gplracer
04-25-2004, 06:33 AM
I really hate to switch rackets. I have played with this racket for two years. Before that I played with the hold 6.1 prostaff for 10 years.

srweiner
05-09-2004, 12:26 PM
make sure you are playing with a grip that is larger than smaller for your hand. If your grip is too small and you have a head heavy racquet that is a combination for tendinitis or tennis elbow. I recently was almost missed a tourn because i got tenidinitis in my wrist and hand pretty darn bad considering i never have had problems. its because of my racket and im getting new ones with bigger grips. good luck.