PDA

View Full Version : Hopman-Bollettieri

bolo
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I read in a book recently that bollettieri and Hopman ran a tennis school/camp a long time ago. Very little info. about their association but seemed interesting enough to follow up.

Does anyone know anything more about this association? or whether their relationship was described in some detail in a book somewhere?

pc1
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I found this.

http://www.nickbollettieri.com/aboutNick/milestoneDetail.cfm?milID=3

mental midget
05-03-2009, 03:13 PM
never knew that.

i spent a few weeks at both back in the day. they were quite different. hopman was more my style--a little less regimented with regards to their approach to the game itself, super-heavy emphasis on conditioning, just seemed . . . friendlier, somehow, than bolletieri. both obviously have proven results.

bolo
05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
I found this.

http://www.nickbollettieri.com/aboutNick/milestoneDetail.cfm?milID=3

thanks for looking that up.

pc1
05-03-2009, 03:38 PM
That's interesting. I would have thought Hopman would be the far more regimented one of the two.

bolo
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM
never knew that.

i spent a few weeks at both back in the day. they were quite different. hopman was more my style--a little less regimented with regards to their approach to the game itself, super-heavy emphasis on conditioning, just seemed . . . friendlier, somehow, than bolletieri. both obviously have proven results.

He seems to have been an early(?) proponent of the type of training where you jog for a little while and then go all out sprinting (interval training?). Funny to think he trained all those australians and then mcenroe as well.

bolo
05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
That's interesting. I would have thought Hopman would be the far more regimented one of the two.

I was reading on the web that he changed a bit after coming to the U.S. There was a quote from some of the older australians saying that they were surprised he let mcenroe get away with some of mcenroe's antics.