PDA

View Full Version : What to say during handshake

raiden031
05-04-2009, 10:17 AM
During the end-of-match handshake, what do you say to your opponent(s)?

Usually when the match is competitive, I will say "good match", and if the opponent did something particularly well, I might compliment them on it.

When the match is a blowout, I feel like anything I say will sound stupid. I don't like saying "Good Match" because it clearly wasn't. If I got blown out, I feel like I should apologize for wasting their time, but don't want to force them to tell me it wasn't a waste of time (even though deep down it was a waste of time for them). If I blow them out, I don't want to say something like "wish we were a better matchup", because that might show that I see myself as superior to them.

What do you say?

morten
05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks......

RoddickAce
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
If you lost: "Good luck in the next match, you played great today"
If you won: "That was a pretty cool match, see you around soon"

nickynu
05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Loser .... :)

JavierLW
05-04-2009, 10:33 AM

Usually when the match is competitive, I will say "good match", and if the opponent did something particularly well, I might compliment them on it.

When the match is a blowout, I feel like anything I say will sound stupid. I don't like saying "Good Match" because it clearly wasn't. If I got blown out, I feel like I should apologize for wasting their time, but don't want to force them to tell me it wasn't a waste of time (even though deep down it was a waste of time for them). If I blow them out, I don't want to say something like "wish we were a better matchup", because that might show that I see myself as superior to them.

What do you say?

If they win (blowout or otherwise): "Nice job, you played great, good luck the rest of the season, etc....".
(I believe it's very rude to make excuses at this point so Im careful not to complain or say anything like that, they won the match so I try to let them enjoy it as much as they can)

If I win and it was close: "Nice match"

If I win and it was a blowout: "Thanks for playing" (otherwise Im not so sure what to say either)

drakulie
05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
If I got blown out, I feel like I should apologize for wasting their time, but don't want to force them to tell me it wasn't a waste of time (even though deep down it was a waste of time for them).

I've actually said this when I have had my butt kicked.

"Sorry I waisted your time." :(

spiderman123
05-04-2009, 10:59 AM

What do you say?

For the blowout (if you lost): You were too good for me (add "today" if you think you were completely off). Hope I have a better scoreline the next time.

Blowout (if you win): <silent> let them say the first word and take it from there. If they say something like above : "Thanks man. So do you play at any other club too?" .. or something tennis related but not about the match play.

and for the record I absolutely hate to say and hear:
"The scores don't say how tough the match was." AAAHHHH....

Cindysphinx
05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I say things like, "Nice Job."

"It was my pleasure."

If I lost, I might compliment them on whatever they did that beat me: "Terrific topspin on that serve." "Those drop shots were amazing."

If I won, I will compliment them if there was something they do especially well: "Man, you're really fast." Everybody does *something* well.

I don't apologize for playing badly or not giving them a good match. Really, how often does it happen that you lose so badly that you have to apologize?

seleswannabe
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I always compliment my opponent on something they did well during the match regardless of the outcome or score. There is nothing worse than that awkward silence at the net. Plus, I usually have to sit across from them at lunch so I figure it's best to leave things on a positive note.

raiden031
05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't apologize for playing badly or not giving them a good match. Really, how often does it happen that you lose so badly that you have to apologize?

I'll tell you once my season is over. :)

spiderman123
05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Really, how often does it happen that you lose so badly that you have to apologize?

You never *have to* apologize. If the question is how often do you lose very badly then it depends on how often you play singles with a player one complete level (0.5 in dynamic rating) above you?

SonRK
05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
This is going to sound weird, but a few years back I used to play the PC game Starcraft a bit competitively.

When you knew you were about to lose, you would say "good game" and quit out of the game. The winner would usually say good game back to you in the lobby, and make a comment or such. It was considered rude for the winner to say "good game" before the loser said it, and unless the loser brought it up, you shouldn't .

So I just carried that over in tennis, if I win and i'm waiting at the net I won't say anything unless he says something first. Likewise, if I lost I say "good match" or "thank you" at the handshake.

JRstriker12
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I think "good match" or "Thanks" is appropriate for most matches.

Even if I get a beat down, I'll probably just say "Good match" and maybe complement them on their good play.

If I give someone else a beat-down, I'll still say "good match." I may have won, but I still appreciate their effort.

Only time I wouldn't say "good match" is if there was a lot of bad gamesmanship and BS during the match - then I just give a handshake and get off the court. Glad to say I haven't been in any matches that were that ugly.

IMHO - I think that saying "good match" is more of a reflection of good will after the match, not always a reflection of the level of play.

mikeler
05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
If I win: "You suck dude"
If I lose: "You got lucky"

sureshs
05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
"I have the swine flu"

Caloi
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Really, how often does it happen that you lose so badly that you have to apologize?

I lost a singles match last year 0&0 at 2:25. I swear we went to duece on almost every serve, many times with 4 duece points. It was very frustrating to see the email go out the next day, "The score was no refection of how close the match really was". :evil:

STN107
05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Definitely the swine flu. LOL!

sureshs
05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Definitely the swine flu. LOL!

I have tried that twice in the last 2 weeks after doubles matches. It caused shocked looks for an instant while the guys were rapidly trying to remember how close they were to me, then they realized I was kidding.

Then there is the head pro at the club who overheard my joke and liked it so much that he has now started fake coughing near people - not a good business strategy I should say.

STN107
05-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I think I will use this one to.

I hate excuses when I bet someone, and they say, "geez, I was hitting great yesterday", or "I am using a demo" or some lame *** way of excusing me beating them.

Blask
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
" I slept with your wife"

JK

I generally say good luck next week or good match, depending on how close it was.

10sfreak
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
If I win: "Nice playing with you. Good job."
If I lose: "CHEATER!!!!"
:-)

Bjorn Borg
05-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I play good today, you played good too. Maybe I played the big points a leeetle better.

heninfan99
05-05-2009, 06:29 AM
If you win: Tell your opponent how they can improve their strokes and point out all their mental mistakes & weaknesses. Even offer them private lessons at a fair rate.

If you lose in doubles: Blame your partner, say that when you don't play with a sucky player you usually win

If you lose in singles: Say "Yeah, I basically beat myself and you were very lucky today"

split-step
05-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Shake hand, smile and move on. Nothing needs to be said.

Jim A
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
I think I will use this one to.

I hate excuses when I bet someone, and they say, "geez, I was hitting great yesterday", or "I am using a demo" or some lame *** way of excusing me beating them.

I watched a guy win a 4.0 tournament this weekend, broke strings in both racquets in a mixed match between semi/final, promptly looked at his older racquet, picked out a Head/Wilson and rolled...sort of put it in perspective

Fedace
05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
I always tell them..."I am sorry i beat you".

icestorm
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
you say..."sucka"

usmeagle91
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
"It's ok, I stayed at a holiday Inn last night" :)

PimpMyGame
05-05-2009, 09:18 AM
I usually make a quick compliment about their game, whether I win or lose.

TBobLP
05-05-2009, 10:59 AM
i'll usually just compliment them on their hand, whether i win or lose

GS
05-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Gerulaitis used to joke that after he lost to a legendary player like Borg or Connors, he'd say, "Thanks for the lesson."

Sublime
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
It's really a non-issue for me.

After I've done my celebration dance, shaken up and sprayed down the court with the second victory beer, and fired all the game balls out of the court area, they've long since left withdrawn their hand for a handshake.

nhat8121
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
"It's ok, I stayed at a holiday Inn last night" :)
hahahaha lol

jefferson
05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks that was fun.

Nice playing.

Is that a thong that you are wearing?

I hate when the guy tells you why he beat you, "you are a better player, but I am in much better shape." No sh*t I am 40 lbs over weight!

jwr1972
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I tell them to look over on the other court at the pile of money with eyeballs and when they say, "What is that?" That is when I say, "That is the money you could be saving by not giving it to your tennis pro!"

Fedace
05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I really think all the Winner or winning team should say "I am sorry i beat you". I think that is the humane thing to do. We should always be nice to each other.. so losing team doesn't go home all upset... I want everyone to be happy...

maverick66
05-05-2009, 06:34 PM
I really think all the Winner or winning team should say "I am sorry i beat you". I think that is the humane thing to do. We should always be nice to each other.. so losing team doesn't go home all upset... I want everyone to be happy...

i would tell the losing player how much he sucks so he goes home a little more upset. sorry we cant all hold hands and sing camp songs.

pabletion
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
"I'll get you in the parking lot you little piece of.........................."

dincuss
05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I told this one guy when i lost "nice playing" he replied and said "not really"

it made me sad:(

Sakkijarvi
05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
"We play today, we win today." Mariano Duncan

I usually say, "great set" after each set I play, win or lose, and whether it's the first or last set. I just love hitting and competing, that the feelings of losing pass quickly enough and winning, it's not like it's the first time so that passes quickly too.

r2473
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I punch the guy in the gut and say, "Good Luck"!!

tennishack
05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
FU once in a while shakes things up, especially if they suck...or tell them to take knitting to if they are bad.. HA!

What do you say?

morten
05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
"My name is Bond, James Bond"

spiderman123
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Poke them at five random points and tell them that you are a master of "Five point palm exploding heart technique".

Then say Goodbye. Signal and shout "5 steps" as you walk away.

Then go home and watch Kill Bill again.

psYcon
05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I have had a few occasions where I handed my opponent a bagel or a breadstick and they usually respond in the end by shaking hand and saying "Sorry couldn't give you a better match". My response is usually "thanks .. good game". I usually can't come up with anything else.

jefferson
05-11-2009, 08:48 AM

This would not make me leave happy, but really ****ed off. Comes off VERY obnoxious and arrogant. This could be the last thing that someone should say, seriously...

If this thread was named "What not to say during handshake" you would win.

SAFINATORZ
05-11-2009, 09:47 AM
If the opponet wins: "bloody hell, You played great, good luck mate"

If I win: "well done mate, let's grab a beer"

JohnnySpot
05-11-2009, 09:52 AM
"Man....my crotch itched. Glad I took care of that :mrgreen:"

Say that only after you had a long handshake with the guy.

winks
05-12-2009, 05:12 AM
....and for the record I absolutely hate to say and hear:

I lost a singles match last year 0&0 at 2:25. I swear we went to duece on almost every serve, many times with 4 duece points. It was very frustrating to see the email go out the next day, "The score was no refection of how close the match really was". :evil:

I've said this after a match myself. If that is that case, why is it a bad thing to say?

stoo
05-13-2009, 06:44 AM
"Pleasure kicking your *****. Shall we do it again sometime?"

BullDogTennis
05-13-2009, 10:26 AM
good job
good game
well played
its been fun
good luck
you should get a life outside tennis
stupid pusher
nerd
ok maybe not the last few, but theres many things to say!

pure_lunatic
05-18-2009, 07:23 AM
This is going to sound weird, but a few years back I used to play the PC game Starcraft a bit competitively.

When you knew you were about to lose, you would say "good game" and quit out of the game. The winner would usually say good game back to you in the lobby, and make a comment or such. It was considered rude for the winner to say "good game" before the loser said it, and unless the loser brought it up, you shouldn't .

So I just carried that over in tennis, if I win and i'm waiting at the net I won't say anything unless he says something first. Likewise, if I lost I say "good match" or "thank you" at the handshake.

LOL nice ref to SC. At the net it could be a gg or a GG!

CrocodileRock
05-18-2009, 07:32 AM
I say "I don't know if you noticed, but this is the only time all match that I've come to net."

MrCLEAN
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Usually "That was fun", just because most of the matches I play are fun, win or lose. If it was a beat down in my favor, I would say "Tough day" or something, and if it were in his favor, "Good job, you played really well".

Had an interesting one a few weeks ago at a tournament, beat a guy 3 and 1, and at the net, he told me how bad my backhand was in relation to my forehand, even though i had passed/lobbed/dropshoted him w/ it easily all match long. I just smiled and walked...then winked at his wife on the way out.

diredesire
05-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm usually too choked up and teary after a beatdown, so i don't say anything.

Maybe a sorry. :)

Cindysphinx
05-22-2009, 05:14 AM
I'll bet no one has heard this one.

Played a doubles match last night. My partner was a woman I play with often and enjoy very much. Our record over the years is something like 12-1. She blasts her first serve and crushes her groundstrokes, and I mop up at net. Other than the one loss, she has only been broken once in all the times we have played.

Once I got a look at our opponents in the warm-up, I figured on another win. Trouble was, last night my partner was off her game. Way, way off. Couldn't do anything she usually does with ease. We lost.

The handshake was normal. "Good match." "It was my pleasure." That sort of thing.

Then my partner went home (she was having a medical issue, I learned afterward), while I stayed to wait for the other matches to finish because I was captaining.

One opponent comes up to me in the lobby and says, "Seriously, you have got to get a new partner. She wasn't doing anything. We decided we'd just keep the ball away from you and wait for the free points."

OK, that is pretty nervy. I have played many opponents where one opponents isn't doing very well. It has never occurred to me to go up later and suggest a divorce. What's up with that?

Dark_Angel85
05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
If I win: "Beer later?"

If I lose: "Beer later?"

If I win and it's a blowout: "Beer later?"

If I lose and it's a blowout: "Buy me a beer?"

hehehe

plasma
05-23-2009, 08:19 PM
why rehearse it??? be respectful of your opponent. A good winner doesn't boast. A good loser doesn't blame his own performance and indirectly insult the winner whe deserves credit and respect.
I don't play tournaments anymore. I notice guys on the club level have really nasty sticky sweaty palms. I'm not a germaphobe and will always shake a mans hand on the street. But lately I've been doing the fist pound, especially with some whales who are dripping sweat after a match.