PDA

View Full Version : Excuses before the match

spiderman123
05-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Don't you just hate it when someone has an excuse ready at the introduction before a match and then go on to beat you?

"Oh I am just filling in for someone."
"I have this pain in my achilles".

Yeah yeah... I know my tennis life experiences are not as interesting as Cindy's but had to get that off my chest.

sureshs
05-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Yesterday my 4.0 singles opponent quit in the second set with a bad shoulder. We were keeping it close but I won the last 2 games before he quit.

Jim A
05-04-2009, 03:48 PM
you are talking about the basic tenet on the decline of civilization, lack of accountability

no one is responsible for anything any more..

I just tell people "Well I died yesterday" :)

Bjorn Borg
05-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Well,

they are going to lose whether they have an excuse or not, so I just smile smugly and wave to throng of women that mob me on center court...

Cindysphinx
05-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Don't you just hate it when someone has an excuse ready at the introduction before a match and then go on to beat you?

Yeah yeah... I know my tennis life experiences are not as interesting as Cindy's but had to get that off my chest.

Heh, heh.

Come on. Ya gotta tell us the rest of the story. What did the guy actually say, how badly did he whip you, and what exact strategies did he use?

Then we can all give you a proper "Oh, man. That sucks!" :)

jmverdugo
05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a friend ( that currently is my doubles partner) that when he is loosing starts to say stuff like:

Oh man that BBQ i just ate is still on my throat... or
Oh man, I have not sleep nothing, the baby wouldnt stop criying last night .. or
he just simply starts to yawn ...

spiderman123
05-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Heh, heh.

Come on. Ya gotta tell us the rest of the story. What did the guy actually say, how badly did he whip you, and what exact strategies did he use?

Then we can all give you a proper "Oh, man. That sucks!" :)

I lost 6-3 6-3, the guy was running like a rabbit and although he did not have any put-away shot was very consistent and would rally until I made a mistake or was hopelessly out of position and then would hit an easy winner.

yes, that sucked :)

LuckyR
05-05-2009, 01:06 PM

Tennis, especially at a first encounter with each other, is notable for having the most frequent excuses in my experience. Probably because if you are talking with folks at work and they hear yuou play, they will ask to play you, then later worry that you are way, way better than they are. We have all experienced ralleying with players well below our level. It really isn't a big deal but people still worry about wasting your time. Funny, really.

JavierLW
05-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I lost 6-3 6-3, the guy was running like a rabbit and although he did not have any put-away shot was very consistent and would rally until I made a mistake or was hopelessly out of position and then would hit an easy winner.

yes, that sucked :)

Ha, I was wondering if that's what happened after all.

Otherwise I know what you are saying, but it's not always that they think they are going to lose, sometimes it's just a ruse where if they are losing they have an excuse to pull out, but if they are winning they will play on.

Or they are just trying to trick you.

I think making excuses after the match when you've lost is far worse.

Or the funny people who never play because of the following very non-logical reasons:

"I wont sign up for this tournament because Im afraid that nobody will sign up"

"Im afraid that if I play I wont do very good because I dont play very often. I need to play more before I can play"

JRstriker12
05-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Can you say "SET UP?"

IMHO - that's just poor gamesmanship. Last year in my USTA league match, I played against this one guy who made all sorts of disparaging comments about his game, and how he's out of shape and short and no good.

I wasn't having it. I told him, "Your captain sent you out to play #2 singles for a reason - I doubt it's because you're not any good." I knew better than to listen to him and expected a tough match.

Sure enough, he put up a hell of a match. Beat me 6-7 in a tie braker in the first set. I was getting rolling in the second set, but we timed out and he won.

beernutz
05-05-2009, 02:17 PM
When I'm losing due to my own ineptitude I just say, "don't I play well for a ******?"

My apologies to any ******s reading this who may be offended.

Sakkijarvi
05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I found the OP pretty funny. I often fill in for people and have been nursing a sore right achilles for some time, along with an injured wrist. Usually don't see any need to mention the latter, but filling in for someone, didn't see that one coming as gamesmanship.

Like, I show up and the guy says, "You're not in the league, are you?"

To which I reply, "No, I'm filling in for someone."

Sometimes I might add, "it was raining pretty hard on the way up here", in the event it was.

From where I sit, while I understand the fact that there are guys performing gamesmanship for one another, like some performance art in tennis -- injuries are sometimes the exact reason you lose. I don't like to do anything to minimize the other guy's feel-good groove when he wins, but I still have a grasp on what the facts are.

Caloi
05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
When I'm losing due to my own ineptitude I just say, "don't I play well for a ******?"

My apologies to any ******s reading this who may be offended.

I shouldn't laugh at that but...okay, I chuckled.

Recently I was playing at some public courts when I framed a ball over the fence. I got pretty frustrated and yelled out, "Come on ******!". I swear I was talking to myself and NOT the little girl with Downs Syndrome walking right by the court with her mom. :oops: I felt like such an ***.

OrangePower
05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Actually it doesn't bother me either way. Anything my opponent says to me before a match usually just goes in one ear and straight out the other.

But what does bother me is when in doubles my partner volunteers additional information that is best kept to ourselves, e.g., "if we split sets we'll play a match tiebreak instead of a full third because I'm a bit tired from playing yesterday." There's no need to mention that you're tired and it might just give your opponents an advantage knowing that.

smoothtennis
05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
In a match this year in a tournament - my opponent started doing the limping Wounded Bear syndrome as I was taking the second set 6-1. About 4-1 or something, he actually started telling me he was probably going to default the match - that he just couldn't play injured with his bad leg. He was almost crawling around.

LOL - If I hadn't seen this many times before, I might have fallen for it. He stormed back 4-1 on me in the third - but I was cool, as I knew he was fine before we even went to the third. I was able to pull it out 6-4 for the win. The point is...had I listened to him at all, I could have easily lost the match.

And yep, I see this a lot - not always as dramatic as the above, but I have seen it so many times that it's almost funny now.

Grover Sparkman
05-06-2009, 09:21 AM
I never can understand why someone can't just own up and say "I don't have my best stuff today." I understand and relate to that a lot better than the boiler plate "my leg hurts" or "I played yesterday" excuses.

Maybe because I'm a newbie to tennis and understand there are days when you just suck, but it doesn't bother me when someone's playing poorly.

eagle
05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I just tell people "Well I died yesterday" :)

That's a good one! Maybe I'll add that to my box of chocs. :)

r,
eagle

beernutz
05-08-2009, 06:52 AM

Recently I was playing at some public courts when I framed a ball over the fence. I got pretty frustrated and yelled out, "Come on ******!". I swear I was talking to myself and NOT the little girl with Downs Syndrome walking right by the court with her mom. :oops: I felt like such an ***.

http://www.emotihost.com/ver1//foot_in_mouth/1.gif

2ndserve642
05-10-2009, 10:13 AM
I hate when kids do that I remember playing a kid in the finals in a tournament and his excuse to me was that he had stayed up late last night so he was 2 tired to run. What was funny about that was that i had my bar mitzvah the day before and I didn't get to bed until 1 am. Thankfully I beat him

Dark_Angel85
05-11-2009, 04:48 AM
People who are normally good seasoned players I know are more casual and say things like "Good game... tried my best. You were hitting some forehands today, huh?"

Only those lousy ones come up with a million cover-ups
... Typical ones are:

"What's wrong with the strings???!!"

"Sorry man... I didn't get enough sleep."

"I didn't play for a good 3 days man.. this sucks..."

"I knew I should have changed my grip.. keeps slipping when I hit..."

... etc etc etc

all I hear is blah blah blah blah

Ronaldo
05-11-2009, 05:27 AM
I found the OP pretty funny. I often fill in for people and have been nursing a sore right achilles for some time, along with an injured wrist. Usually don't see any need to mention the latter, but filling in for someone, didn't see that one coming as gamesmanship.

Like, I show up and the guy says, "You're not in the league, are you?"

To which I reply, "No, I'm filling in for someone."

Sometimes I might add, "it was raining pretty hard on the way up here", in the event it was.

From where I sit, while I understand the fact that there are guys performing gamesmanship for one another, like some performance art in tennis -- injuries are sometimes the exact reason you lose. I don't like to do anything to minimize the other guy's feel-good groove when he wins, but I still have a grasp on what the facts are.

My best one in league tennis was I just came to watch and they put me in the mix.

stoo
05-12-2009, 05:42 AM

Priceless.

I chuckled at the first thread.

I laughed out loud at yours! :mrgreen:

gocard02
05-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I have a friend ( that currently is my doubles partner) that when he is loosing starts to say stuff like:

Oh man that BBQ i just ate is still on my throat... or
Oh man, I have not sleep nothing, the baby wouldnt stop criying last night .. or
he just simply starts to yawn ...

Does he wear contacts? I yawn a lot when I play tennis to keep my contact lenses from drying out.

I probably should be using that as my excuse.

innoVAShaun
05-12-2009, 12:13 PM
"Just getting used to my new racquet."