PDA

View Full Version : IDEA: Coordinators should play on a different team every year

heninfan99
05-05-2009, 06:20 AM
I think this would ensure fair play and save the coordinator a lot of grief. If the coordinator is on the same dominant team every year it doesn't look good. Perhaps it's random chance or perhaps it's a recruiting advantage.
What do you all think?

Cindysphinx
05-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Around here, coodinators do not coordinate the level at which they play. Also, the coordinators for the women are men, and vice versa.

heninfan99
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
They do that here but they still have their hands in everything.
Around here, coodinators do not coordinate the level at which they play. Also, the coordinators for the women are men, and vice versa.

catfish
05-07-2009, 08:11 AM
They do that here but they still have their hands in everything.

I think that your perception is that coordinators have a lot more power and authority than they actually have. There is a system of checks and balances in place with the District and Section to make sure coordinators are doing their job and following procedures. How do you know that they "have their hands in everything". IMO, many usta players and captains judge league coordinators very unfairly because they do not understand the coordinator's job. If they would take the time to understand what the job entails
they probably wouldn't be so critical.

catfish
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I think this would ensure fair play and save the coordinator a lot of grief. If the coordinator is on the same dominant team every year it doesn't look good. Perhaps it's random chance or perhaps it's a recruiting advantage.
What do you all think?

Also, captains choose their own teams. A coordinator does not have the authority to choose which team they play on. They are just like any other player, they tend to play with their friends and others that they play with on a regular basis. I have a hard time picturing a coordinator walking up to some captain and saying "Hey, I'm playing on your team this season." That wouldn't go over too well.

heninfan99
05-12-2009, 07:26 AM
The new players that want to join a USTA league are told to contact the coordinator. So the coordinator ends up knowing most of the players and can easily flow players to teams. New captains are often left with the leftovers of other teams --which is fine but its not like they get to choose from the entire list of players. Coordinators are so involved that they become fantastic at recruiting top prospects. Also, they've mastered the appeals system and all the tricks.

And if what you say is true, that a coordinator has no advantage, then you shouldn't mind if they play on a different team every year.

Also, captains choose their own teams. A coordinator does not have the authority to choose which team they play on. They are just like any other player, they tend to play with their friends and others that they play with on a regular basis. I have a hard time picturing a coordinator walking up to some captain and saying "Hey, I'm playing on your team this season." That wouldn't go over too well.

Spokewench
05-12-2009, 12:29 PM
You all are talking only about tennis in large metropolitan areas. We have one coordinator in a rural area. We are lucky we can get 2 teams to play in 3.0; 3.5, etc.; very lucky to get 3 teams to play so, coordinators could not play for different teams in our area cause there just aren't enough teams. SO if you make a rule, it would have to have caveats, like in areas larger than ___ with more than ___ coordinators.

I, however, don't see the conflict; but then I have never played in a large metropolitan area either.

spoke

heninfan99
05-12-2009, 12:38 PM
That makes sense.
You all are talking only about tennis in large metropolitan areas. We have one coordinator in a rural area. We are lucky we can get 2 teams to play in 3.0; 3.5, etc.; very lucky to get 3 teams to play so, coordinators could not play for different teams in our area cause there just aren't enough teams. SO if you make a rule, it would have to have caveats, like in areas larger than ___ with more than ___ coordinators.

I, however, don't see the conflict; but then I have never played in a large metropolitan area either.

spoke

catfish
05-12-2009, 03:34 PM
The new players that want to join a USTA league are told to contact the coordinator. So the coordinator ends up knowing most of the players and can easily flow players to teams. New captains are often left with the leftovers of other teams --which is fine but its not like they get to choose from the entire list of players. Coordinators are so involved that they become fantastic at recruiting top prospects. Also, they've mastered the appeals system and all the tricks.

And if what you say is true, that a coordinator has no advantage, then you shouldn't mind if they play on a different team every year.

In my area, all new players that go through the coordinator are added to a list of players looking for teams, and that list is posted on a website. The coordinator doesn't know anything about the new player other than the very basics. All captains have the opportunity to recruit the new players.

And I would guess that in our 2000 player Adult league, only about 20 players per year are added to teams this way. Same for our other leagues. Most of the new players get into league tennis by knowing a captain, knowing a tennis club pro, or by being a member of a club that has USTA teams. The coordinators in our area handle such large leagues that they are way too busy to "recruit top prospects". Maybe your area is different. But you shouldn't make a generalization that all league coordinators are unscrupulous and have their hands in everything. Being a coordinator is like any other job......some people are honest and very good at it and some are not.

I don't see how coordinators could play on a different team every year since captains pick their own teams. Also, in our area a coordinator would not be allowed to add themselves to a team without the captain's permission.