PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a most disheartening loss ever?

@wright
04-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Up until yesterday, I would say probably not, but I was playing doubles in the finals of a tournament and we had 5 match points in the second set and lost. At first I just wanted to smash something but i managed to keep my cool and now I am laughing about it and I know that i'll be better mentally because of that loss. I also don't have to dwell on the missed match points, because my partner missed all of the volleys on match point. The other thing that helps is that for 2nd place we got 2 "rocks" glasses each, and the winners got 3 each, so we got almost the same prize, as dumb as it sounds. So, what was your hardest to take loss and what did it teach you?

jmckinney
04-05-2004, 09:48 AM
My hardest loss came in a junior challenger, if you won the tournament you got an invite into the national challenger, in the semis I was playing and split sets with a top ten valley player. In the final set we played a tie-break and I was down 6-5 and serving, and hit a huge forehand which I followed to the net with an easy volley which I hit into the open court for a winner. I was walking back to serve again at 6-6 and he was at the net. I asked him what he was doing and he said that my ball was out. I had to shake his hand but I really wanted to punch his lights out, he went on and won the final. I did not learn a whole lot but that some people will literally do anything for a win. If I saw him today on the street I think I would definately punch his lights out.

Camilio Pascual
04-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Yes. I have succeeded in forgetting almost all the details about it and don't try to remember. There was hooking and my reaction to it now falls under my signature line (see below).

andfor
04-05-2004, 12:20 PM
I had a similar loss to jmmckinnney. I was in the semi's of a tournament during college. The guy I was playing had won the 1st set it was close. Late in the second set he accused me of hooking him, not exactly sure at what point it was, it was a close and I was serving at 5-6 or 4-5. We go on to play a few more points, when he finnally gets to match point he calls my second serve out which lands in the middle of the box for a double fault. He walks to the net and sticks out his hand. I did not shake his hand. In retrospect since he did this on a court that was not monitored I wish I would have disputed the score with him and let the tournament director diecide. We most likely would have had to go back to the court with a lines judge and start at an agreeable game score.

Anyway I am over it. Learn from the ones that hurt the most and move on.......

kevhen
04-06-2004, 05:55 AM
2 years ago, my only 3.5 doubles loss in tournaments was in a final on match point with me serving. I decided to just get my first serve in and not go too big with it. My opponent hit a return up the line past my partner for a winner. They went on to win the third set easily. Now I always go pretty big on my first serve on match points and did win a mixed doubles tourney after that when I told my partner to go big when she had a match point.

The other bad loss was last summer in a 4.0 tourney playing the eventual champ in the 3rd round. I was up 6-0, 3-1 15-all when it started raining and we went indoors where it was cooler and he had more indoor experience. He won 6-4, 6-3 in the last two sets.

Lately I have been losing a number of 3 setters to strong 4.0 players but they don't bother me too much since it's the winter season when I don't play much. But I hate losing 3 setters since I like to finish strong.

cantaloupe
04-06-2004, 09:30 AM
back in the junior days there were 2 times when i felt like not playing ever again.

1) was playing a kid in the last match before playoffs, and this was one of the matches that would decide whicl team goes into playoffs. It was a very close match, and one point in the second set things were very tight, my oponent comes in off a slice backhand croscourt, and I run over and unload a backhand dtl that lands ON the line. Funny my opponent didnt see it that way and called it out, and the way he looked at me i knew he was sure it was in. I was so discouraged after that i basicall tanked the match away, and I didn't play after for 2 weeks.

2) second time was when i started playing the junior majors for the first time, whereas i had been playing the junior A league which was the level below. What can i say; i got killed 8-0 and it wasnt even that close, all my shots were either too soft or didnt even land inside the court. Later I found out that my opponent was ranked #5 or something in the province. But still it was very discouraging.

@wright
04-06-2004, 11:32 AM
How did ya'll let your opponent get away with cheating without raising hell? My doubles partner and I lost our match fair and square, which makes it worse than if the other team had just cheated us, but I can promise I raise HELL when someone tries to cheat me!

cantaloupe
04-06-2004, 12:20 PM
no u dont. u just flash them ur glock and that instantly settles everything right? :lol:

nyu
04-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Toughest loss for me was the district semi-final my senior year(last year) in which I was playing my nemesis, who I had beaten for the first time a week earlier 6-4,6-0,and was also trying to qualify for the state championship in singles for the first time(I had won district in doubles the year before and made it to the quarters at state with our #6)

I started the match well, going up 3-1 my advantage, and I missed 3 overhead in the next 5-6 points to lose the game. I never get truly angry on the court, but I started losing it, and at 5-6, 30-30 his serve, I lost the point on a forehand sitter and chucked my racquet for the first time all year in disgust. Sure enough I was spotted by a coach and penalized the next point. AKA I lost the set on a racquet chuck. I'll never make that mistake again. I ended up getting creamed in the next set, as my opponent was a really good player and saw blood, and I wasn't in the right mindset to fight.

I did make up for it in a way though, as we won district as a team, and I went 3-0 at the state championships in the team competition, basically taking out all of my frustrations on those opponents.

Mikael
04-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Mine came at a local tournament in August of last year.
Rain had delayed my 1st round match for a number of days and I had big expectations: hadn't played a tournament in a long time, was thirsty for some victories, etc. Confidence in my game was pretty much sky high.
The first bad news came when I broke my beloved Pro Tour 280 the day before (it was my last remaining PT): it slipped out of my hand when I went for a smash. So right before the match I borrowed someone's Head IPrestige Mid. I didn't exactly like the feel, but it was more or less OK.

I started the match very poorly and very quickly I was down 6-3 5-2, despite my friends' encouragements. The guy wasn't a great player but my serve had deserted me and in the end frustration had gotten to me.
So, down 2-5, I adopted a lackadaisical attitude, playing carelessly. In the next 3 games I saved a total of 8 match points. The guy was getting nervous. Slowly but surely, the tide was turning and I became serious about the match again.

I bot back to 5-5, led 6-5, and eventually won the set in a tense tiebreak. As I sat down at the changeover, I couldn't quite believe I was back in the match, given the other guy had dominated all the time and I had all but given up at 3-6 2-5.

It was all the more confusing as the third set was a super tiebreak. Things were unfolding too fast for my liking now.
In the supertiebreak I did everything I could to gain momentum, and to keep the initiative. But my opponent would never let me off the hook, and there were no minibreaks until 9-8 to him with me serving...
I could feel the pressure big time, that's for sure. I ended up hitting a good forehand approach, bravely followed it up to the net (something I don't do often, I was maybe just trying to prove myself I wasn't intimidated by the situation...), got an average smash... Put too much sidespin on it, and it sailed wide.

I can still remember my opponent yelling "YEAAHHHH!!!!" on the other side of the net.
That defeat was a huge blow to my ego, since I was the favourite to win the match and had been waiting for this tournament for a long time.

kevhen
04-06-2004, 12:54 PM
oh yeah, this past weekend in USTA league play I blew a 6-3, 5-3 lead and lost the last 10 games in a row! Now that is some sad tennis.

jun
04-06-2004, 09:30 PM
ready for this?
I played one single in my senior year. I was around 3.0~3.5....Went ENTIRE season without a victory.....All matches were 6-0 6-0...except one...which I lost 6-1 6-0....

Then comes a banquet..My coach from Israel (with Israeli accent)...talks about season, #3 doubles, #2 doubles...--- #3 singles, #2 singles (who did very well and was MVP)...and came my turn.....I was worried what he was going to say, was wondering if he was going to reveal my losing streak or what...
He goes "One coach said losing builds character." he pauses for a moment, and goes "Jun Bum has a looot of character".
Entire student body went off laughing ther guts out...

My face turned red, and just sort of smiled....It was nice way to put it, i guess...
I still can't believe I am still playing after that...

jmckinney
04-07-2004, 05:44 AM
I always raise hell after being cheated but for some reason, maybe the seriousness of the tournament I did not, plus my partner and I were in the semis in the doubles and did not want my antics to offend any of the tournament directors, umpires for that.

tennislover
04-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Eh, maybe this wasn't my worse ever, but it was pretty bad. I was playing #2 singles (about 3 hours ago) for my high school team. The match was very fair. I mean, 22 out of the 25 games went into deuce! I lost the first tiebreaker and then up 5-3 in second set let him come back to 5-6! Then we went into deuce and we got into advantage him. The point was played out ...etc etc etc....then to finish it off he did a volley/smash and it landed like almost at my feet and I had NO IDEA if it was in or not. I look (me being the last match to finish) up and everyone was looking directly at me. I had NO clue what to do..(first match of the season!).

So.... I asked him what he thought. He thought it was in (now I see it is obvious he thought it was in). That sealed the match.

Then I got some encouragement and some guys saying Why the hell did you ask him?!

I dunno what I should have done, is it possible to call let. I honestly had no clue what to do. The other coach did, after the match, tell me I had good sportsmanship.

What call would you have made? :oops:

bcaz
04-07-2004, 10:47 PM
I think you have to call it in. If there is any doubt in your mind, you have to give the opponent the point. It is gentlemanly good kharma.

jmckinney
04-08-2004, 06:07 AM
when in doubt, call it out. Especially on match point, that will get your opponents juices flowing.

edge
04-08-2004, 06:20 AM
One of the toughest things to deal with in junior tournamnet tennis is the hooking. My son had a problem with this early on. PLayers would walk all over him when they needed a game point. Finally, he has matured to deal with the hooking in two ways. First, he has learned to play inside the lines rather than going for the lines. His coach tells him that opponents typically won't give him the call on balls landing ON the lines. Secondly, on the first bad call, he asks the opponent if he was sure. On the 2nd bad call, he calls a linesman. This settles the majority of issues. Now if only I can get him to stop playing out balls!

kevhen
04-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Yes, hooking is bad at the college and high school competitive levels. I need to stop playing out balls myself, but I love a good rally and being able to half volley balls from the baseline. Sounds like your son is a good sport and has the right attitude about how to play tennis.