PDA

View Full Version : USTA DQ question

ballistic
05-06-2009, 05:14 AM
I currently have a 4.0 mixed exclusive year end rating. I am playing on a mens 4.0 and a 4.5 team. I won my first 4.0 match 6-2, 6-3. I won my first 4.5 match 6-2, 6-0. Basically, my question is how does the DQ system work? Am I at risk of being DQ'd because of winning a 4.5 match that badly and because I am mixed exclusive and not computer rated? I have several teams counting on me playing so I am hoping that score does not have that big of an impact on me getting DQ'd. If someone could shed some light on this issue for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Cindysphinx
05-06-2009, 07:00 AM
My understanding is that if you were computer-rated, you could not be DQ'd.

Because you are mixed exclusive rated, you can be DQ'd, and playing up successfully is a big fat red flag.

Beyond that, all anyone can do to predict whether you will be DQ'd and how many strikes you currently have is just guess.

If you were on my 4.0 team, and if you played singles in both of these matches, and if the first opponent was 4.0 and the second was 4.0 or higher, I wouldn't play you again on the 4.0 team unless I didn't care about forfeiting your next match and your first match as well.

Kostas
05-06-2009, 07:12 AM
If you played singles in your 4.5 match consider yourself having 1 strike. If you continue to play singles at 4.5 and continue to win you will be DQ'd after you receive 3-strikes.

Since you are a mixed-exclusive (basically a self-rated as far as DQ's go) if you get DQ'd for 3 strikes then all your 4.0 matches will be forfeited.

I'm was in this same boat this year with 3.0 and 3.5. I had to stop playing 3.5 due to risking getting my state-hopeful 3.0 team DQ'd.

Unfortunately this is the risk you run by playing up.

If you are a legit computer rated 4.0 then a DQ wouldn't forfeit your 4.0 matches, you just wouldn't be able to play at the 4.0 level anymore.

Good luck.

JavierLW
05-06-2009, 07:14 AM
I currently have a 4.0 mixed exclusive year end rating. I am playing on a mens 4.0 and a 4.5 team. I won my first 4.0 match 6-2, 6-3. I won my first 4.5 match 6-2, 6-0. Basically, my question is how does the DQ system work? Am I at risk of being DQ'd because of winning a 4.5 match that badly and because I am mixed exclusive and not computer rated? I have several teams counting on me playing so I am hoping that score does not have that big of an impact on me getting DQ'd. If someone could shed some light on this issue for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Who did you play at 4.5? An actual 4.5 computer rated player, or some self rated player or another 4.0 player who is playing up?

(it doesnt really matter what level you are playing at, just where your opponent happens to be)

Nellie
05-06-2009, 07:15 AM
From what I understand, if you are computer rated and you get DQ'ed, your last match (causing the third strike) is lost.

If you are self-rated and you are DQ'ed, all of the your matches are forfeited.

Anyone know enough to correct me?

JavierLW
05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
From what I understand, if you are computer rated and you get DQ'ed, your last match (causing the third strike) is lost.

If you are self-rated and you are DQ'ed, all of the your matches are forfeited.

Anyone know enough to correct me?

They are not DQ'ing Computer rated (or benchmark) players this year.

Whether your last match results in a loss or all matches is a sectional / local decision so it may vary from place to place.

(ours used to be just the last match but now it's all matches)

ballistic
05-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Who did you play at 4.5? An actual 4.5 computer rated player, or some self rated player or another 4.0 player who is playing up?

(it doesnt really matter what level you are playing at, just where your opponent happens to be)

It was a computer rated 4.5 but it was a windy day and I handled the wind better that day. Other wise it would have been really close. I know I will be bumped up after this year to 4.5 because that's where I should be. I just don't want the 4.0, mixed, and combo teams to take a hit because of me. Thanks for the info everybody.

Kostas
05-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah the computer doesn't really care about the wind, etc. Just that you won.

If you don't want your 4.0 teams to suffer you're going to probably have to not play 4.5.

nhat8121
05-06-2009, 01:32 PM
computer rated means they fit the description generated by USTA?

Cindysphinx
05-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Nellie, I think that the DQ for 4.0 play would forfeit all 4.0 matches, not just the last one. In our section, anyway.

amarone
05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
computer rated means they fit the description generated by USTA?No - it means that they have played sufficient matches for the computer to have calculated a rating for them either at the end of 2008 or possibly more recently if playing in an Early Start League.

Fedace
05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
What does it mean ? You have 2 strikes on you on singles. and they say if you get 1 more strike, you will be DQed. and why can this person play doubles and that is ok and it is only in singles this is the case. ??

amarone
05-06-2009, 05:29 PM
What does it mean ? You have 2 strikes on you on singles. and they say if you get 1 more strike, you will be DQed. We do not know that he has two strikes and I believe there is no way to find out. He may well have received a strike for the win over the 4.5 player, but there is no reason to believe that the 2&3 win over a 4.0 player will have generated a strike. What sort of results does this 4.0 player have? A strike is only likely if the other 4.0 player is a very good 4.0. Remember that a strike means that the computer calculates the player as being in the upper region of the next level. A good 4.5 would beat an average 4.0 by more than 2&3, and hence it may not have generated a strike.

On the other hand, the good win against a 4.5 may have sent his dynamic rating so high that he will generate two more strikes just with mediocre results in his next two matches.

and why can this person play doubles and that is ok and it is only in singles this is the case. ?? It is not necessarily ok to play doubles - but there are now ratings for four players in the equation, which tends to average things out and leave you less exposed to a big differential.

JavierLW
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
What does it mean ? You have 2 strikes on you on singles. and they say if you get 1 more strike, you will be DQed. and why can this person play doubles and that is ok and it is only in singles this is the case. ??

You can get strikes in doubles or singles.

They just take the average of your two opponents and work off that, and then they throw your partners rating in there somewhere. (I would assume the better your partner, the lower your result will be, the worse your partner is, the better your match result will be)

The hope for some teams though is that if they put a player at doubles, they may avoid putting them heads up against a stronger player (because you have to clobber someone who's pretty successfull themselves to get a strike at your own level), and also their partner may help make the match closer.

amarone
05-07-2009, 03:34 AM
(I would assume the better your partner, the lower your result will be, the worse your partner is, the better your match result will be) Correct. The exact same adjustment is made to both players. For example, if the result is to add 0.08 to the dynamic rating, then 0.08 is added to both the winning players.

The hope for some teams though is that if they put a player at doubles, they may avoid putting them heads up against a stronger player (because you have to clobber someone who's pretty successfull themselves to get a strike at your own level), and also their partner may help make the match closer.Another danger of playing singles is that you might play someone who is really a doubles player. Some teams don't have much in the way of singles players and the players take it in turns to take one for the team by playing singles. This player coud have a high rating based on being a good doubles player, but not be a very good singles player. Then when you beat them comnfortably, bang - you get a big jump in your rating.