PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 years between stringing

PushyPushster
05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
So ... I'm playing doubles with my partner last week and toward the end of a hard fought match my racquet starts making a weird noise. I'm wondering what I broke, but everything looks normal and I finish out the match. The last time I had the racquet strung I used something called Signum Pro Poly (got good reviews on Amazon) which I later found out was totally unsuited for my game. But they were a biitch'in orange color, so that was good.

I go back to the tennis shop and ask what's wrong. He inquires as to the last time I got the thing strung. Tough question. Maybe a year ago? After he looks in the computer it turns out they put the Signum on in Feb. 2007. Well over 2 years ago. Trying to make light of the situation I say, "Well, I like to change strings every two and a half years whether I need to or not. Put a new set on that baby! Heh, heh." Silence.

Anyhow, my question. How horribly does my game suck that I can go 2 years on dead strings and not even realize it? Feel free to use a sliding scale between 1-10.

Satch
05-06-2009, 12:32 PM
they were dead for a few months maybe.

i have one racquet with 25 years old strings and it plays good haha

ag200boy
05-06-2009, 12:36 PM
nahh, with poly for 2 and a half years, they were probably dead for 2 years and 5 and a half months...

Satch
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
nahh, with poly for 2 and a half years, they were probably dead for 2 years and 5 and a half months...

oh believe me some players have so light strokes, that some strings may last forever to them.

vandre
05-06-2009, 12:40 PM
can't throw stones at you bro, i have to steal my wife's racquets and restring them in the basement while she's asleep. then i blame it on the "racquet fairy".

in your defense, maybe you found poly that held tension for 2 1/2 yrs.????

OrangePower
05-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Then again, PushyPushter strings at a very manly 85lbs, so even after 2.5 years the tension was still 55 :-)

VGP
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Some people use strings until they break, no matter what.

Racer41c
05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
One of the regular playing partners was *****in the other day that he broke a string and wasn't sure what to do. He has 2 of the same racquet with the original string.

I didn't recognize the model of Wilson he had so I asked him... "When? I don't think they make em anymore, I got them about 5 years ago".

serve and Justin
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I've played with a racket that had strings in it for over 15 years and it felt like crap but I was playing my cousin who doesn't hit with much power so it didn't matter...

However, I usually get about 5-10 matches (so about 3-4 weeks) out of strings until I pop em...I never break the cross strings *Wilson NXT tour 16* I usually break my mains *Ashaway Kevlar 16*

PushyPushster
05-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Then again, PushyPushter strings at a very manly 85lbs, so even after 2.5 years the tension was still 55

Yes! That must be it.

I should have suspected something was wrong when my normal 100mph+ groundstrokes started to slow down into the 90mph range ...

Grover Sparkman
05-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I have a racquet that I got when I was 21 (I'm 26) that still has the original strings on them. I haven't used it, though.

120mphBodyServe
05-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Maybe you should come here and do your string research instead of going on Amazon. What did you get your racquet restrung with?
The guy at the shop should've slapped you for letting poly sit in your racquet for over 2yrs... *sigh*

lodeen
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I have 4 racquets with strings from 2001, the year I stopped playing with them, I played with 1 of them for a couple of minutes a few weeks ago, the strings are a little loose with lots of power but not much control, I string my racquets tight.

I have another racquet with strings from the late 90's, I tried it also a few weeks ago, still playable but a little loose.

All the above strings are synthetic gut and were only played with 2 or 3 times. I didn't use those racquets anymore after I switched to my current racquet. I string tight and break strings between 2 - 16 hrs, even poly which I'm using now. The only string I can't seem to break is kevlar or aramid.

PushyPushster
05-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Maybe you should come here and do your string research instead of going on Amazon.

Probably a good idea. What string would you recommend for someone who relies on touch over power? I've never broken a string in my life.

The guy at the shop should've slapped you for letting poly sit in your racquet for over 2yrs... *sigh*

If he slapped me I'd take my business elsewhere when I get my racquet restrung again in 2012.

burosky
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
In one of the 7.0 mixed league matches I played at many moons ago, the club had a "retro" day where club members played friendly sets with wood rackets. One of our opponents who was a senior player had a nice Wilson racket. It may have been a Kramer. Apparently, he bought it when it first came out and only hit with it once and never used it since. He was showing it off to me and I have to say it looked like it just came out of the factory. Curious as to how it would feel, I asked if I can hit with it a few times. Sort of like to demo it. He graciously allowed me. My first shot was a forehand. I just did a light swing. To my surprise, the ball literally went through the string! I was quite embarassed and offered to pay for the stringing right away. He told me those were the original strings! I don't know when that racket came out but it must have been at least 35 years since! He had a good chuckle seeing me embarassed. He said he wasn't expecting the strings to hold up to any shot since it had become too brittle. His plan was to set up one of his friends with that racket. I made it easy for him to find a victim since I "volunteered".

P.S. He did have another racket that he had re-strung and used for their event.

StringingIrvine
05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
But they were a biitch'in orange color, so that was good.

Says it all right there!!!

Remember that string breaking and skill have nothing to do with each other, well for the most part they don't...

Cruzer
05-07-2009, 10:17 PM
So ... I'm playing doubles with my partner last week and toward the end of a hard fought match my racquet starts making a weird noise. I'm wondering what I broke, but everything looks normal and I finish out the match. The last time I had the racquet strung I used something called Signum Pro Poly (got good reviews on Amazon) which I later found out was totally unsuited for my game. But they were a biitch'in orange color, so that was good.

I go back to the tennis shop and ask what's wrong. He inquires as to the last time I got the thing strung. Tough question. Maybe a year ago? After he looks in the computer it turns out they put the Signum on in Feb. 2007. Well over 2 years ago. Trying to make light of the situation I say, "Well, I like to change strings every two and a half years whether I need to or not. Put a new set on that baby! Heh, heh." Silence.

Anyhow, my question. How horribly does my game suck that I can go 2 years on dead strings and not even realize it? Feel free to use a sliding scale between 1-10.

You sure aren't the typical gearhead that patrol these boards are you?

120mphBodyServe
05-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Probably a good idea. What string would you recommend for someone who relies on touch over power? I've never broken a string in my life.

If he slapped me I'd take my business elsewhere when I get my racquet restrung again in 2012.

Question 1. Technifibre NRG2. And you really should restring your racquet as many times a year as you play in a week. Example, if you play 3 times a week, restring every 3-4 months. When I was playing this often, the strings would eventually go after this period, but they'll go dead before then so it's better just to cut the strings out...

You deserved the slap in the face. Why do customers always have to think they're right?
Anyway enjoy the NRG2 and DO NOT WAIT ANOTHER 2YRS FOR A RESTRING.. ARGH!!!!

Power Player
05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Wow. I wish my strings would last 3-4 months. I get maybe 15-18 hours of play before they snap. I am going to try the ashaways and see if those are more durable for me.

Blade0324
05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow, I can't believe how some people can do this. I run into them stringing too. IMO it's like buying a car and just running it with the oil that comes in it and never changing it. If you can't tell that it becomes a problem pretty quickly then you deserve whatever happens.

JavierLW
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM

You should seriously try Natural Gut.

You probably will never break it, and it lasts longer then any other string. There are storys of people pulling out wooden racquets with the stuff from 35 years ago and they still work.

And you could afford to spend more and get the best kind (Babolat VS) since you probably will never string your racquets again for awhile.

Maybe buy some Babolat Elastocross stringsavers as well in case a string looks like it's fraying a little, you can add one.