PDA

View Full Version : Fred McNair

NotSoSuper
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
what can you guys tell me about Fred McNair?

pc1
05-07-2009, 05:09 AM
what can you guys tell me about Fred McNair?

Fred McNair was a top doubles player in the 1970's. His usual partner was Sherwood Stewart.

NotSoSuper
05-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Any info on where he trained?

atatu
05-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm pretty sure he grew up in the Maryland/D.C. area...

Frankc
02-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Yes, played out of Chevy Chase - suburbs of DC. Was way, way too good at an early age for regional junior tennis. Went national at a very young age. Very quick and played an attacking game even at a young age. Great tennis family - all talented. Very, very nice person and a real balanced family. Was unbeatable as he played for a top area secondary school. Played college #1 in North Carolina...

Limpinhitter
02-25-2012, 04:13 AM
I saw him lose to Nastase in the first round of a local WCT event back in 74'.

Frankc
02-25-2012, 04:24 AM
What was the surface? Nastase was a dream to watch in 1974...

Limpinhitter
02-25-2012, 04:37 AM
What was the surface? Nastase was a dream to watch in 1974...

Indoor carpet. It was a slow'ish carpet and Nastase played high looping, heavy topspin from the baseline. I got to meet Nastase later because I was there with a friend whose coach was in the draw.

kiki
02-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Mc Nair, I remember his great doubles mind and touch as well as his deadly volleying.He was one of my all time doubles favourite.Sherwood Stewart, too, deserves full credit for his great doubles capability; he later teamed up with Riessen and even later, with Edmondson and kept himself in the very top of the doubles game.

Frankc
02-25-2012, 07:16 AM
Limpinhitter, I can see a frustrating day for McNair on slow carpet & Nastase's gifts...

Kiki, agreed... he was so quick and sound on the doubles court (didn't he play the forehand court?). His volleys were equally deadly as a young junior.

kiki
02-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Limpinhitter, I can see a frustrating day for McNair on slow carpet & Nastase's gifts...

Kiki, agreed... he was so quick and sound on the doubles court (didn't he play the forehand court?). His volleys were equally deadly as a young junior.

Right, he played the right and Stewart played the left side.Stewart played the left side always, whomever he teamed up with.But, itīs surprising that such a talented doubles guy like Mc Nair, didnīt have any more sucess on the doubles tour, once he and Sherwood split.I never knew why.

Limpinhitter
02-25-2012, 08:36 AM

It was a good match. As I recall, the score was 7-6, 7-5, and McNair gave Nastase all he could handle. McNair had just come off of a local event title and was in a groove. Nastase was just too much to overcome at that time, on that court.

Frankc
02-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Limpinhitter, Hmmm... a tight match between those two on slower carpet must have been a joy to watch - great variety and shotmaking...

Limpinhitter
02-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Limpinhitter, Hmmm... a tight match between those two on slower carpet must have been a joy to watch - great variety and shotmaking...

As I recall, it seemed that McNair was pressing, trying to be aggressive, and Natase was totally composed and within himself at the baseline even though the score was close. It was as if the outcome, although tight, was inevitable.

kiki
02-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Orantes and Gisbert ( an unconsistant, but talented doubles player ) beatMc Nair and Stewart at the 1975 Masters.

Orantes and Mc Enroe have been the only 2 uyus to win this tournament singles & doubles.And Mc Enroe, the only one to do it in the same year.