PDA

View Full Version : why there is no Nadal version of Aero Drive, but there is Pure Drive Roddick/regular?

hlkimfung
05-07-2009, 06:09 PM
There is a Pure Drive Roddick and regular, why there is not a Nadal version of Aero Drive, with slightly different cosmetic to appeal to more advanced player? Like a regular Audi A4 and a ABT version of A4.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Because Roddick actually plays with a near-standard Pure Drive?

hlkimfung
05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
let me answer my own question.

I guess Roddiack come AFTER the pure drive is launched. More like Moya/Lapentti/Clijster help to launched the Pure Drive campaign in 1997/98, then Roddick come along in 2001 and make his name, so Babolat design a Roddick version to seperate the group

For Nadal, he emrge with the AeroDrive, so people associate him with the racquet, therefore it will actually 'downgrade' a regular AeroDrive by making a AeroDrive Nadal

genomie
05-08-2009, 12:58 AM
its is also possible Roddick is/was a bigger name then nadal. Sure in the tennis community nadal is more then well known. but outside of the tennis world especially in the US roddick is probably the best known tennis player. and name regonition is alot.

nadal maybe better but roddick has the celebrity status.

TMCW140
05-08-2009, 01:02 AM
The APD has always been synonymous with Nadal, so i doubt it would make any differerence

Dan007
05-08-2009, 11:18 AM
its is also possible Roddick is/was a bigger name then nadal. Sure in the tennis community nadal is more then well known. but outside of the tennis world especially in the US roddick is probably the best known tennis player. and name regonition is alot.

nadal maybe better but roddick has the celebrity status.

not anymore.

Richie Rich
05-08-2009, 04:28 PM
The APD has always been synonymous with Nadal, so i doubt it would make any differerence

that is what i was thinking too

Mansewerz
05-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Also, the AeroPro has the appeal that it's not too heavy for some players, and it's pretty good for a lot of juniors. I think it would lose some appeal if it was a bit heavier ala PDR.

drgreenthumb
05-09-2009, 06:27 AM
on a business stand point. The US is the biggest revenue maker for a tennis manufacturer (even compared to the tennis pop. outisde of US).

Developing a signature line from a top US athlete will bring revenues up. Think Jordan, Woods, etc...there are other famous athletes outside of US and have been sponsored but they are not as HYPED as someone from the US. A good example was the famous US skier Bode Miller in which Nike had poured tons of $$$ to his campaign prior to winter olympics with a lot of over-hyped ads. Short story, he was ripped to shreds by euros and his lame excuse was he partied too much.

NickC
05-09-2009, 07:30 AM
It's because Nadal hasn't, isn't, and won't affect Babolat sales and the company's racquet division as a whole in the way Roddick did. End of story.

El Diablo
05-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Story just resumed.....I bought a Pure Drive when they first showed up in this country and the buzz at that time was "hey, what's that racquet Moya's using with good results?" Roddick was still in high school. The racquets were already a hot item. Most of the players I see showing up with new Babs lately have the APD, so I suspect Nadal has just as much influence, ultimately perhaps more.

don_nguyen11490
05-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Because the AeroDrive is already the Nadal version.

AllDownTheLine
05-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Because no one had used the APD before Nadal came along. And no one of any notoriety has had success with it since. (I hope I'm right about no one since). The public already considers it the APD Nadal. His name is simply not needed to be attached to the racket. If people are already buying it like crazy because the world's #1 player uses it then why fix what's not broken.

Roddick was different as the Pure Drive had it's reputation already. Tennis Magazine named it "Racket of the Decade". BABOLAT saw a way to boost sales by attaching Roddick's success to the racquet. By creating a heavier version they also got extra sales by having current Pure Drive owners upgrade to a newer or in their mind a better version. The racket had been around a long time, it needed a kick in the rear end.

Perhaps Babolat will do this with the APD when sales of that racket peaks. Right now they are enjoying the explosion of sales due to Nadal's relatively recent success. In a few years these owners of the APD may be ready for the newer, better, heavier "Nadal" signature series.

Lefty78
05-09-2009, 04:50 PM
A good example was the famous US skier Bode Miller in which Nike had poured tons of $$$ to his campaign prior to winter olympics with a lot of over-hyped ads. Short story, he was ripped to shreds by euros and his lame excuse was he partied too much.

Bode Miller is the defending overall champion of the World Cup of downhill skiing. This is the single biggest title in skiing, and he has won it 2 of the past 4 years. Referring to one bad performance in the Olympics as reason for him being over hyped (that Euro skiiers are better) is total BS, and a terrible example towards your point. Try not to sound COMPLETELY IGNORANT next time you start typing.