PDA

View Full Version : Should I go Western?

Golden Retriever
04-05-2004, 11:33 AM
My semi-western forehand is kind of lame. I don't get enough power if I don't swing out but if I swing out I have problem keeping the ball from going out. Would I do better with the western grip? Is the western grip the grip of the pros? Does the western grip put more spin on the ball?

PhatAbbott
04-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Full western allows you to put more spin on the ball... but you will have less penetration. Western grips is more for heavy topspin players on clay.

Moya has a western grip and his forehands pretty good. Ferrero has one too I think.

I think you should stay with a semi though in honesty. Its only a technical flaw that you have not being able to keep the ball in. Your contact point has to be roughly in line with your left knee in open stance. You want to start with the wrist fixed and the racket head cocked down. Make sure your elbow in in front of your body as this helps maintain a good contact and then finish high around the left shoulder.

Once you get a good foundation of the stroke you can try flattening it out or playing around.

If possible could you get a video of yourself hitting your fore? Would be much easyer to tell where your going wrong. Each stroke in tennis is pretty complicated... its why you really need a coach. You could be preparing late.... bad footwork... contact... lots of things.

Thunnus
04-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Changing the grip won't give you any more power. You should be able to generate plenty of power by having a good unit-turn and stepping into the ball to meet the ball early. Lots of practice to get the timing down and working on your footwork will improve your consistenty.

Going western has other benefits (as well as cons) but it won't neccessarily give you more power.

More than anything, I suggest at least a few sessions with a good Pro to get you moving to the right direction.

PhatAbbott
04-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Im not sure you should be practising steping into the ball as much. By stepping in you are closing off your stance and for a Sw grip its less effective.

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2004, 04:23 PM
The western grips are designed for power. If your not getting power it is because your mechanics are not sound. Only switch grips if you want the benefits of one grip more then the other. SO you have to understand your game and how you want to play. Dont switch grips because your not hitting it well. Both semi and full western are considered "power" grips.