PDA

View Full Version : 'd you choose your fav over your country?

Dutch-Guy
05-09-2009, 04:28 AM
I'm a huge Rafa supporter but if he were to play against a Dutch player in the Davis Cup,i'd support the Dutch player.Country first,fav second to me.
What about you?

tournaking
05-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Being ENGLISH we don't have any players worth supporting, except maybe anne keothavong when she can string a few decent results together.

pound cat
05-09-2009, 04:44 AM
Being ENGLISH we don't have any players worth supporting, except maybe anne keothavong when she can string a few decent results together.

Try being Canadian. Dan Nestor only plays doubles and doubles is never on TV or stream.

rafan
05-09-2009, 04:46 AM
I should support Murray but it has always been Rafa and always will

Dutch-Guy
05-09-2009, 04:49 AM

We too don't have any player worth supporting but still...

tournaking
05-09-2009, 04:53 AM
We too don't have any player worth supporting but still...

Isn't Timo De Bakker dutch? I heard he had a decent run in the Munich open this week.

Dutch-Guy
05-09-2009, 05:12 AM
Isn't Timo De Bakker dutch?
Yes he is.
We used to have some good players like Richard krajicek(Wimby 96 winner),Martin Verkerk(RG 2003 finalis).But now it's just(-- fill in the blank).
I heard he had a decent run in the Munich open this week.
He was stopped in R3.

vive le beau jeu !
05-09-2009, 06:24 AM
favorite first, of course ! :)

by the way... am i misunderstanding the question of the poll, or is there a pb with the (reversed ?) options ?... :confused:

Pirao
05-09-2009, 06:31 AM
My favourite is from my country, so I have no such trouble :).

seffina
05-09-2009, 06:39 AM
In a Davis Cup situation, I'll support the country first or at least try and be neutral. Otherwise, tennis is an international sport and I'm going to support a player because I like them not because they're from my country. Although, I do tend to favor them when they aren't playing my favorites.

Ljubicic for number1
05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
In a Davis Cup situation, I'll support the country first or at least try and be neutral. Otherwise, tennis is an international sport and I'm going to support a player because I like them not because they're from my country. Although, I do tend to favor them when they aren't playing my favorites.

Same here, Novak, Ivan, Haas, Cilic, Mario are my favorites and I am from Australia. Cant stand Hewitt. Only Australian player I like is Jelena Dokic.

Loved Scud and Rafter but its really hard to support a redneck like Hewitt

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-09-2009, 06:58 AM
In international team events like the Olympics, I tend to support Poland since I'm %95. But since our best player is ranked 179, I would support USA. But then again, I hate watching the Davis Cup.

Ruzica
05-09-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm English and my husband is Serb, but it is always Djokovic for me, whoever he is playing. :)

Shaolin
05-09-2009, 07:57 AM

Im American, so no players worth supporting here in my country either...

KwangSunPark
05-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Try being Canadian. Dan Nestor only plays doubles and doubles is never on TV or stream.

Wozniak? Dubois? etc..?

veroniquem
05-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't care about nationalities. I would support players I like vs anybody else. I would wholeheartedly support Rafa vs the entire French contingent including in Davis Cup without any remorse. Ouch, I'm really bad at patriotism!

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Though aware of the nationalities of most players, I always go for my favourites (most of whom LOL don't make the final week or end of a tourney, but I like them anyway :)). Even in Davis Cup, I would generally go for the team (whichever) that has one of my favourites on it to get the win.

In the end, I just like to see a good match played. Nice if my guy or girl wins, but nationality is irrelevant except for geographical reference purposes, or stats on their height and weight, i.e. interesting but not necessary for me to enjoy the match.

Andres
05-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Fav first, country second, unless it's davis cup :)

tacou
05-09-2009, 09:43 AM
In DC I always root for US.

I like Roddick a lot so I usually root for him, but when he's playing Tsonga or Nadal or another of my favorites I just sit back and enjoy.

mandy01
05-09-2009, 09:47 AM
we dont have great players atleast in singles,but I'd always pick my favourite over my country.I dont think it makes me less patriotic and all...

Serendipitous
05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't root for anyone from the U.S. except for Isner.

But yeah, I would choose my favorite players over Isner.

Ernests Gulbis, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Rafa Nadal, Steve Darcis.....

Dutch-Guy
05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
favorite first, of course ! :)
You're unpatriotic:)
by the way... am i misunderstanding the question of the poll, or is there a pb with the (reversed ?) options ?... :confused:
-Yes:if you choose your country over your fav.
-No:if you choose your fav over your country.

Dutch-Guy
05-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't care about nationalities. I would support players I like vs anybody else. I would wholeheartedly support Rafa vs the entire French contingent including in Davis Cup without any remorse. Ouch, I'm really bad at patriotism!

Dans ce cas tu n'es pas une femme patriotique.Mais dis donc!!! j/k
'd you cheer for Nadal in a stadium full of french people?

jazar
05-09-2009, 10:15 AM
i'm english and i never root for english players

Larry Lava
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm from the USA and always root for the US.

skip1969
05-11-2009, 05:31 PM
it used to be that my many of my favorite players just happened to be from the us, but that hasn't been the case in forever. plus, it was just coincidence.

i have always gravitated toward players whose games i wanted to emulate. nationality has never entered into it. hell, i support an english football club and will probably never have one from the states.

OliverSimon
05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Willy Canas and any other Argentine player !! :)

West Coast Ace
05-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I want to see the best players; don't really care what country they were born in. And right now Rodman's and Blake's games aren't very easy on the eyes - to put it mildly.

egn
05-11-2009, 07:27 PM
This is tough for Davis CUp I will always root America as it feels wrong not rooting for America in a way. I root for other athletes but as a sense of my own personal pride I would like to see my own country take home the prize. Outside of that I root for my favorites. I think most of us can agree Davis Cup just promotes a different atmosphere. I think country is different than regional though. Like I could find myself being from new york rooting for a say nba team from chicago..(note I am a bulls fan born and raised in new york though) but i could not find myself being American rooting for say Germany or something. It is interesting when you think about it but countries do strike national pride I guess. However when it comes to tournaments individually outside of country recognition I root for my favs.

veroniquem
05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Dans ce cas tu n'es pas une femme patriotique.Mais dis donc!!! j/k
'd you cheer for Nadal in a stadium full of french people?
Sure, why not?