PDA

View Full Version : Gasquet may have tested positive for cocaine

Pages : [1] 2

Cloudy
05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090509_195949_gasquet-positif-a-la-cocaine.html

:( :(

RCizzle65
05-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Oh jeez, this is bad for the sport.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Here's the article in English:

Team Information: Traces of cocaine were found in the urine sample of Richard Gasquet, controlled in Miami when he had to forfeit the tournament. These trace levels of 1.46 microgram (ie above the sensitivity threshold of 0.5 applied to all accredited laboratories) could claim the french tennis player suspended for two years if the second opinion corroborated against the premium analysis .

Indeed, cocaine is one of the major stimulants banned in competition. The french player, who denies any voluntary, did not wish to react to information, but should quickly make hair analysis to show that it is not regular. Finally, Team Lagardère should communicate quickly about this, probably in the middle of Sunday afternoon.

Damien RESSIOT

I knew Gasquet was a party boy, but he's just so talented. This is pretty crappy, but at least the ATP's new drug policy is working.

seffina
05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
No way. I seriously hope not. I don't want Richie gone for two years!

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-09-2009, 11:00 AM

It's bad for any sport when a rising star is found using drugs. Cloudy, thanks for the article. I tipped off Tennis.com.

BorisBeckerFan
05-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Maybe this is why he never lived up to expectations...

veroniquem
05-09-2009, 11:07 AM
That's dreadful news. Gasquet is a party boy? I had no idea.

Leelord337
this is terrible, i don't think he should be suspended, just pay a fine, for all the atp knows he had a poppyseed bagel (which if eaten will make u test + for cocaine)

Dutch-Guy
lol Richie pulled a "Hingis". Seriously i hope it's not true.

edberg505
05-09-2009, 11:17 AM
this is terrible, i don't think he should be suspended, just pay a fine, for all the atp knows he had a poppyseed bagel (which if eaten will make u test + for cocaine)

Poppy seeds do indeed give a false positive on a drug test.

fastdunn
05-09-2009, 11:19 AM
oh my. could be serious blow to gasquet's career. serious loss of talent for us tennis fans.

here are pictures gasquet and tsonga partying

http://www.zimbio.com/Richard+Gasquet/articles/2/Jo+Wilfried+Tsonga+Richard+Gasquet+Tennis

babbette
05-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Oh my god, shut up!! this is so unexpected! so shocking! so surreal...richie rich??:cry: so he's not gay he was just always stoned:cry:

this is sad news. Hopefully it's not true it would just be too sad.

vmosrafa08
05-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Here's another article from Fox Sports:

Report: Gasquet tests positive for cocaine

PARIS (AP) - French sports daily L'Equipe is reporting that tennis player Richard Gasquet has tested positive for cocaine.

The newspaper's Web site reported Saturday that traces of the banned drug were found in the 22-year-old Gasquet's urine sample at the Sony Ericsson Open in Key Biscayne, Florida, after he pulled out of that tournament in March.

The report said Gasquet could face a two-year ban if the "B" sample comes back positive. The report said neither Gasquet nor his management team have responded to the charges. The newspaper did not cite a source, and no further details were given.

The French tennis federation could not immediately be reached for comment.

Gasquet reached the semifinals at Wimbledon in 2007.

Dgpsx7
05-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I like his backhand a lot more than I like him but I don't think he should get suspended for two years. He should get a fine and maybe a small suspension. He has great skills and I enjoy watching him play but his mental strength is that of a 16 year old girl just like the body of Gilles Simon.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-09-2009, 11:35 AM

He is going to offer a hair sample, which will prove once and for all if he's been cutting up lines or he just came in contact with poppyseed.

veroniquem
05-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Don't you think a top pro player would know that though and make sure they eat the right thing?

Dutch-Guy
05-09-2009, 11:36 AM
What a waste Richie!!! Will he get 2 years ban like Hingis.

Crayola Oblongata
05-09-2009, 11:38 AM
What. The. Hell. Richard you funkin fool. :(

P_Agony
05-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Oh god...no. That simply sucks. It's bad enough he never wins, and now this...

iriraz
05-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I wonder if it`s a coincidence that on the same day both Gasquet and Tom Boonen are in the headlines that they tested positive for cocaine.

jms007
05-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Poppy seeds can only give a positive for an opiate (like heroin), not cocaine.

babbette
05-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Oh god...no. That simply sucks. It's bad enough he never wins, and now this...this might've been the reason when he took that first snort.:( Maybe he wants to get banned it would end the misery that cocaine didn't.:(

fps
05-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Oh god...no. That simply sucks. It's bad enough he never wins, and now this...

yeah if this is a pattern i guess the partying and lack of form were more linked than we thought.

jimbo333
05-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Yep, that's what I thought as well!

tonyg11
05-09-2009, 11:46 AM
incorrect. it's a big deal.

why is it a big deal?

fastdunn
05-09-2009, 11:48 AM

That seems to be for opiates(morphine, codeine,..). I am not sure it can induce false cocaine positive...

NotSoSuper
05-09-2009, 11:49 AM
:shock: Oh no! this is terrible

Dutch-Guy
05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I thought French players were the cleanest in the world.Btw this cocaine didn't do any good to his performance.What a shame if it's true.

fps
05-09-2009, 11:57 AM
why is it a big deal?

well, beside your accusations, based (i see no evidence) on seeing one too many films about evil middle-aged corporate men in suits, i can see three reasons.

firstly, cocaine comes at a very high cost in terms of loss of life and human misery. you buy cocaine, there's probably blood on your hands. moralising over.

secondly it, and his party lifestyle, have screwed gasquet's development up, and he is a shell of the player i and others thought he could be, seeing him two or three years ago. in that sense, he's betraying himself, his talent, his coaches, his family, anyone connected with getting him into the position to be a potentially world-beating player. he's also letting down fans who pay to see him.

third, due to my first point, his playing right now will associate squeaky clean sponsors with drug wars. that's not good for them or their image. so on the financial and image side of things i don't see why the big events would want to touch him at the moment. you may not like that, but it's definitely a factor, and another reason why this is a big deal.

icedevil0289
05-09-2009, 12:12 PM
:shock: Gasquet why? I heard that its a 3 month ban for the first offense, but didn't Hingis get a 2 year ban and it was her first offense as well?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-09-2009, 12:16 PM
why is it a big deal?

Because it's crack freaking cocaine. If Gasquet's B test confirms that he did use the stuff, it puts the sport in scandal. That's not good, especially when we are still in the shadow of the gambling accusations. Tennis isn't exactly a every-person sport where you can play it without having to dump a lot of cash on it. This will turn off prospective players and will give the sport's stereotypes backing: that it's a sport for rich country-club people who can use drugs and party it up without having to deal with consequences.

Dutch-Guy
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Because it's crack freaking cocaine.
Pot and cocaine are not performance enhancing drugs, they are recreational.Seriously though with the doping rules being as strict as they are it would have been pretty dumb of him to go using cocaine.
If Gasquet's B test confirms that he did use the stuff, it puts the sport in scandal.
Co-sign.I really hope his B-test is negative.

Leublu tennis
05-09-2009, 12:20 PM
well, beside your accusations, based (i see no evidence) on seeing one too many films about evil middle-aged corporate men in suits, i can see three reasons.

firstly, cocaine comes at a very high cost in terms of loss of life and human misery. you buy cocaine, there's probably blood on your hands. moralising over.

secondly it, and his party lifestyle, have screwed gasquet's development up, and he is a shell of the player i and others thought he could be, seeing him two or three years ago. in that sense, he's betraying himself, his talent, his coaches, his family, anyone connected with getting him into the position to be a potentially world-beating player. he's also letting down fans who pay to see him.

third, due to my first point, his playing right now will associate squeaky clean sponsors with drug wars. that's not good for them or their image. so on the financial and image side of things i don't see why the big events would want to touch him at the moment. you may not like that, but it's definitely a factor, and another reason why this is a big deal.

Thank you for the patience to explain this to the kid.

fastdunn
05-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Whatever the outcome of this will be, Gasquet is still only 22 year old. I hope he overcome this issue and come back strong.

Gugafan
05-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I think some of us need to stop jumping the gun. Nothing is conclusive yet, and for some reason Gasquet has all of a sudden become a 'party animal' because of one picture taken of him dancing on stage.

For all we know, he could have taken some contaminated medicine...I really hope Gasquet can provide some solid evidence that he has not been taking any banned substances.

edberg505
05-09-2009, 12:24 PM
That seems to be for opiates(morphine, codeine,..). I am not sure it can induce false cocaine positive...

Yeah, I remembered that after I typed it.

shadows
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Interesting. I hope it turns out to be a false positive, I wouldn't want to see Richard gone for 2 years. I don't really think it'll be overly damaging for the sport though, nothing massive certainly. If it was Fed or Rafa then sure, but as mentioned, Gasquet isn't the same kind of household name.

thalivest
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
If it is true no big loss. A blip on the radar in the big picture of tennis. The only place he will be remotedly missed is TW World where inexplicably he is one of the most overhyped players out there here. I laugh at some of the comments in this thread "a rising star of tennis", "so talented", LOL! He isnt even a top 20 player these days and most of the time, his stay in the top 10 was a cup of coffee one, even shorter than Blake's, he has one Wimbledon semi and no other quarters of slams, no Masters titles, and he is approaching 23. With Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro, Monfils, Tsonga, and others all his age group or younger he is not even a noteable rising star any longer. How would anyone care or it look bad for tennis. Only the most diehard tennis fans even know his name.

Topaz
05-09-2009, 12:44 PM
He is going to offer a hair sample, which will prove once and for all if he's been cutting up lines or he just came in contact with poppyseed.

Hingis did the same thing, and while her hair sample proved her innocent, she still got the ban.

jms007
05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
which athletes do you have in mind who've been caught without a fuss being made?

Oh there's always some fuss proportional to the name, but Gasquet isn't one of the big ones that can shake up the game. My point was it won't do anything to the sport, it's one guy who possibly got caught, it's not like there's cocaine epidemic going on.

fps
05-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh there's always some fuss proportional to the name, but Gasquet isn't one of the big ones that can shake up the game. My point was it won't do anything to the sport, it's one guy who possibly got caught, it's not like there's cocaine epidemic going on.

definitely. it's just a bad situation.

grafselesfan
05-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Who cares. The guy is insignificant in the big picture of the ATP.

nadal for number1
05-09-2009, 01:02 PM
wow i cant believe gasquet would do something like this ( if its true)

Jchurch
05-09-2009, 01:10 PM

I thought that was actually the way to test positive for heroin.

fps
05-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Who cares. The guy is insignificant in the big picture of the ATP.

i care. he's a fool. he's throwing his career away because of the sanctions and his performances haven't been up to much lately either because of his lack of motivation, partying, and, apparently, drug use.

Cloudy
05-09-2009, 01:16 PM
I thought that was actually the way to test positive for heroin.

there are a few false positives for cocaine. I think certain antibiotics can but it would be easy to prove if he had been taking anything like that.

dugger5688
05-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Poppy seeds CAN make you test positive for opiates, not Cocaine. The tests the ATP uses probably don't give a false positive on poppy seeds, it's only the general screening ones that do.

maximo
05-09-2009, 01:29 PM
His 1HBH will be surely missed...

TBH, he's been going down hill since Wimbledon.

Mansewerz
05-09-2009, 01:40 PM
If it's true, it really, really sucks.

But to say he shouldn't be punished is just double standards. Come on guys.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Let's wait until the second test comes in.

Megi
05-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Oh Richie. :(

Gugafan
05-09-2009, 01:45 PM
He isnt even a top 20 player these days and most of the time, his stay in the top 10 was a cup of coffee one, even shorter than Blake's, he has one Wimbledon semi and no other quarters of slams, no Masters titles, and he is approaching 23. With Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro, Monfils, Tsonga, and others all his age group or younger he is not even a noteable rising star any longer. How would anyone care or it look bad for tennis. Only the most diehard tennis fans even know his name.

The same could have been said of Verdasco, who truely hit his peak last year and has since cemented himself as a top 10 player. Gasquet still has the years to develop into a possible late bloomer.

Serendipitous
05-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh dear :cry:

Telepatic
05-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Sucks, bad boy Gasquet..

TheNatural
05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until it's conclusive with a hair sample.

madmanfool
05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Don't worry. In Belgium it's completely overshadowed with Tom Boonen taken cocaine for the second time. At least he has the decency to do it out of competition :)

tennis-hero
05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/076Bgcb9uq3rl/340x.jpg

rumors that nadal lowered the net to guarantee his shots passed have been strongly denied by Uncle toni

<.<

Richie Rich
05-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Don't you think a top pro player would know that though and make sure they eat the right thing?

no. that would be giving them too much credit. some of these guys really aren't very smart.

look at all the argies that tested positive for something.

jelle v
05-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I;m not saying that I believe he used cocaine, but if he did use cocaine, it would tell us a lot about his mentality and it would be an explanation for his underachieving (imo)..

Zaragoza
05-09-2009, 02:59 PM

I disagree, it's great to keep the sport clean. If the 2nd test confirms the result, I hope he's banned for a long time.

Pirao
05-09-2009, 03:07 PM
http://nothingrelevant.net/images/failing.jpg

What, don't you know the theory about talent not equalling results? Apparently they have a talent-meter that works perfectly and is totally objective. I swear, I've been told so! :lol:

Seriously, only Gasquet fans care about this, Gasquet is not a big name in tennis, if it was someone like Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, it would be a big deal.

nickynu
05-09-2009, 03:13 PM

My god, its no wonder that after my matches opponents always test positive and get banned. Its because I hand out so many bagels and breadsticks to them. (mustve been poppyseed ones) :)

thalivest
05-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I disagree, it's great to keep the sport clean. If the 2nd test confirms the result, I hope he's banned for a long time.

I agree. I dont like cheaters in any sport.

Fedace
05-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Why does this NOT surprise me one bit ? Some of the pros are Heavy into the party and night scenes. so there is lots of drugs there, and i am sure Richard tried some of them. NO big deal...

VivalaVida
05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Wow this is terrible news. Gasquet is possibly the most overrated player ever. Anyone with a beautiful one handed backhand is consider "supremely talented" :rolleyes: Some people even try to say he is more talented than nadal or federer. haha

vive le beau jeu !
05-09-2009, 04:25 PM
If it is true no big loss. A blip on the radar in the big picture of tennis. The only place he will be remotedly missed is TW World where inexplicably he is one of the most overhyped players out there here. I laugh at some of the comments in this thread "a rising star of tennis", "so talented", LOL! He isnt even a top 20 player these days and most of the time, his stay in the top 10 was a cup of coffee one, even shorter than Blake's, he has one Wimbledon semi and no other quarters of slams, no Masters titles, and he is approaching 23. With Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro, Monfils, Tsonga, and others all his age group or younger he is not even a noteable rising star any longer. How would anyone care or it look bad for tennis. Only the most diehard tennis fans even know his name.
this is really a lame comment. http://www.emoticonzone.com/msn-emotions/misc/thumb-down.gif
The same could have been said of Verdasco, who truely hit his peak last year and has since cemented himself as a top 10 player. Gasquet still has the years to develop into a possible late bloomer.
exactly ! i keep the faith... ;)
this point of view sounds a bit radical.
i have no idea if he really took the stuff, and if he did that's not a "good" thing. but do you really think that the players who took cocaine did it intentionnaly for improving their performance ?
i certainly don't...

0range
05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Gasquet, no! I love you :(

oneleggedcardinal
05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Well, I really enjoy watching him play, so I hope this comes to nothing. If he did use cocaine, I'm sure he used it recreationally, and not to enhance his play. Hence, he would be a person who made a (rather stupid) mistake in his personal life that will affect his professional life, and would not be, as some are suggesting, a cheater.

I'm more concerned for his well-being.

sh@de
05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm shocked... I never thought he'd do drugs. Until the second test confirms though, I won't make any conclusions. But if he tests positive even for the B sample, I must say, my impression of him will drop ten fold. At least.

gj011
05-09-2009, 05:28 PM
I agree with this. It is much worse to be a cheater than messing yourself up. What you do to yourself is just what you have to endure. It is harming you and that's it.

Yes I agree with this too. Even if B sample tested positive, he is not a cheater, since cocaine is not performance enhancing drug. Stupid yes, but cheater no, and 2 years suspension would be too harsh IMO. OTOH, Hingis got 2 years for the same offense.

vive le beau jeu !
05-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I agree with this. It is much worse to be a cheater than messing yourself up. What you do to yourself is just what you have to endure. It is harming you and that's it.

Yes I agree with this too. Even if B sample tested positive, he is not a cheater, since cocaine is not performance enhancing drug. Stupid yes, but cheater no, and 2 years suspension would be too harsh IMO. OTOH, Hingis got 2 years for the same offense.

add me to the list... i agree too !

Casey10s
05-09-2009, 05:44 PM

Disagree with this. May not be a performance enhancing drug, but is still dangerous to the sport. If his addiction got bad, owed money to the wrong people, got involved in the wrong crowd, and so on, I would have to wonder about his on-court performance and so would the ATP. If it got bad enough, he could throw matches so his dealers could bet and get their money, he could bring some wrong people into the tennis inner circle (which could cause more problems), or he could OD on the court and really give tennis a black eye. If he is guilty, he deserves his penalty.

bluetrain4
05-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Wouldn't poppy seeds give a false positive for heroin, not cocaine??

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. Many people brought raised this point.

Kaptain Karl
05-09-2009, 05:55 PM
... for all the atp knows he had a poppyseed bagel (which if eaten will make u test + for cocaine)Which would make him twice stupid as everybody knows this.

Wouldn't poppy seeds give a false positive for heroin, not cocaine??Yes! Asked and answered. He already posted that he misstated his first post on the subject.

<Edit> Good. You caught that already. </Edit>

- KK

tacou
05-09-2009, 05:56 PM
very disappointing if true.

I don't see how Richard is "irrelevant to the big picture of the ATP". if you mean big picture as in nada/fed/djoker/murray then yeah, but then everyone outside those 4 are "irrelevant."

he'll be missed.

Sup2Dresq
05-09-2009, 06:00 PM
reeechard!

hope you didn't, but if you did then the penalty is harsh. You'll be missed. Good news is that no one will call you and underachiever for two years!

TennisandMusic
05-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Pretty unfortunate, but if it's true I guess we won't be seeing him around for awhile, or maybe ever again really.

When things like this happen, it really reveals just how *not glamorous* the pro sports world is.

LurkingGod
05-09-2009, 06:24 PM
This news is quite a shock to me. Gasquet of all players?? I hope he wouldn't just screw up his entire carreer.

So fun times equate to drug use? I've never done a single drug in my life, and I don't intend to. I have a LOT of good times...none of it dependent on altering my state of mind or harming the only body I'll ever have. I think your notion of "fabulous orgiastic parties and take all kinds of substances" is misguided at best.

Ditto.. I don't know why would people seek for fake happiness. If I want to get high all I have to do is find a chocolate bar and a good book.

Casey10s
05-09-2009, 06:25 PM
On another note, Jeremy Mayfield, an owner/driver in NASCAR, has failed a drug test and is suspended. Initial reports is that he may have taken too much Claritan D. Suspended until NASCAR decides he can come back.

Drug testing is here and it is not going away in the near future. If you want to play, you have to stay clean.

At my job which is a desk job, I can get tested randomly. Fail a drug test and I am automatically fired. Have an alcohol level of .02, fired. If you go out at lunch and have a beer or two, you might as well take the rest of the day off and go home rather than risk getting tested. I like the money I am paid more than taking any chances. My wife works at the same place and she has been tested 4 times in the last year and a half. I haven't been tested yet. Your name is picked at random. Your boss comes up to you and tells you to go to the nurse's office to give a sample, immediately. Statistically, you should get tested once every 2 years.

norbac
05-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Wow Richie, just...wow.

I've gotta say though, I don't agree with the two year ban. Not because I'm a fan of his but because it just doesn't seem fair. A fine and a short suspension sound more appropriate.

Kobble
05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I had two friends die from cocaine usage, another suspected. Don't **** with that stuff, otherwise you won' have to worry about a suspension ever again.

Nadal_Freak
05-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Disagree with this. May not be a performance enhancing drug, but is still dangerous to the sport. If his addiction got bad, owed money to the wrong people, got involved in the wrong crowd, and so on, I would have to wonder about his on-court performance and so would the ATP. If it got bad enough, he could throw matches so his dealers could bet and get their money, he could bring some wrong people into the tennis inner circle (which could cause more problems), or he could OD on the court and really give tennis a black eye. If he is guilty, he deserves his penalty.
That's a different offense altogether. Assuming the worst just because he got caught with Cocaine is ridiculous imo. Until he is proven of throwing matches, he should not be thrown out of tennis. I believe in what you do to yourself is your problem and not for outsiders to interfere. He's got so much money anyways that he should never have problems running out of money for anything. That in itself is scary though as it's easier to be an addict. He needs help first and foremost if this is true.

norbac
05-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Sounds a bit cruel to just suspend players for two years instead of helping them get back on their feet.

NLBwell
05-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes I agree with this too. Even if B sample tested positive, he is not a cheater, since cocaine is not performance enhancing drug. Stupid yes, but cheater no....

Likely true, but if cocaine were not a banned substance there would be guys who would use it for performance enhancement. (That was it's original use)

NLBwell
05-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Cocaine is illiegal and is supplied by criminals - who don't think twice about gunning people down. if they see an opportunity to take advantage of a rich, famous guy, they will. Tennis certainly does not want its players subject to extortion or becoming addicts who will do anything for drugs. The game can't afford to be linked to criminal enterprises - not much different than the gambling scandal.

bebots
05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Elaine: Poppy seeds! Of course!

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Traveling to all these cosmopolitan cities around the world with some dough in your pocket. Players must want to unwind off court the way that non-athletes do, try the local vices. Gasquet probably wants to have a pro career but live at the same time and not be so single-minded in tennis. 2 year ban I think is harsh.

After all...http://towleroad.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/12/gasquet1.jpg

Ripster
05-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Anyone who says Gasquet won't be missed either has something against him or is a fanboy of one or two players.

Gasquet will be missed if he gets suspended, when he's on he's a great talent. And he also has one of the best 1BH's ever.

anointedone
05-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh well. Atleast it wasnt someone important.

NLBwell
05-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Another thought - Maybe this is his way of getting out of the game. Hard to tell all of the people depending on you and family and friends that you just want to up and quit (though Henin did it). Didn't seem to be enjoying it - maybe he wanted to get caught.

defrule
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
With the new rules and if Gasquet tests positive, what do you think they're going to do to give the clear message they want the sport clean?

Crucify Gasquet...

Sad if they do but hope he's innocent to begin with.

norbac
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Another thought - Maybe this is his way of getting out of the game. Hard to tell all of the people depending on you and family and friends that you just want to up and quit (though Henin did it). Didn't seem to be enjoying it - maybe he wanted to get caught.

Maybe, he really didn't seem to be enjoying it especially in the last few months, maybe since last year. Hopefully he can get his life back together, even if it doesn't mean playing anymore.

veroniquem
05-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Oh well. Atleast it wasnt someone important.
Just someone who was good enough to play the TMC :shock:
It's not nice to have another scandal about someone in the top 10 so little time after Hingis :(

grafrules
05-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Just someone who was good enough to play the TMC :shock:
It's not nice to have another scandal about someone in the top 10 so little time after Hingis :(

He isnt even ranked in the top 20 and hasnt been since late last year. Once the points from his fluke Wimbledon semi came off the computer he very soon returned to where he belongs- outside the top 20.

danb
05-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I really hope this is crap. I like Richard.

grafrules
05-09-2009, 09:17 PM
He was in Wimbledon SF 2 years ago in 2007. Those points are long gone already.

That was my point. Once those points came off after Wimbledon 2008, he was very soon out of the top 20 again where he has remained since. It is his proper place in the current very deep mens field with his rather limited skill set.

gj011
05-09-2009, 09:18 PM
That was my point. Once those points came off after Wimbledon 2008, he was very soon out of the top 20 again where he has remained since. It is his proper place in the current very deep mens field with his rather limited skill set.

I saw that I misunderstood you and deleted post. Sorry.

Tennis360
05-09-2009, 09:49 PM

wow...a very crushing comment to any Gasquet fan. and I am a Gasquet fan...and after this very sad news today, i felt a dying horse who was shot to death twice...

I am dumbfounded and flabbergasted...i wish this is just a bad dream....could this be just due to medications he took for his elbow and shoulder injuries? i hope it is false positive...but if it was indeed true, all i can say is that he is real stupid to do this and should be penalized, but i cannot really judge him and whatever is going on with his life right now....that french tennis magazine cover at the age of 9 and the pressure that comes with it may have taken it's toll on him...i just wish the people surrounding him will take care of his person and not to let him totally ruin his life...it's a shame as he's only 22, well turning 23....but if he will be banned for 2 years, I just don't see him coming back to tennis at all....clearly, he will be missed - not only by his fans, but by those tennis fans who care enough to watch beautiful tennis and experience that glorious backhand (except Thalivest). how ironic that he has a foundation that cares for struggling adolescents - might be that he feels the same way. :cry::cry::cry:

Kaptain Karl
05-09-2009, 09:58 PM
<Mod Mode> Do NOT advocate the use of recreational drugs on TT. Don't do so for yourself or for others. Remember this is a forum frequented by kids. </Mod Mode>

- KK

Cesc Fabregas
05-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Throw him out.

Underhand
05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Gasquet thought he can be a McEnroe. But the Golden Era of tennis is over!!!

Blinkism
05-10-2009, 01:05 AM
2 years might seem harsh, but if Richie's sample B tests positive then he is guilty of intaking a banned substance.

It's not like he just found out about the consequences. He's an adult and he should have known what he did was not only wrong in Tennis, but in life (and the law), in general.

Sad to hear, if it is true. I don't blame Richie for partying, he's a young guy, but he should know the limits as a professional athlete. Maybe a 2 year suspension could be a wake-up call?

6rump
05-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Oh No Gasquet!!!!!!! I really want him to do well on Wimbledon this year.....

Cloudy
05-10-2009, 02:02 AM
I don't think he will play now. Even if he doesn't get a long ban the likelihood is it won't be resolved before wimby.

stupid, stupid man.

Gorecki
05-10-2009, 02:05 AM
Im amazed again by the depth of the ignorance around these boards:

A few samples :

Poppy seed test positive for Cocaine?

Cocaine is a Performance Enhancing Drug?

Gasquet is not important and should be Banned?

oh... the humanity!

ps: does anyone know how many everyday medicines could test positive por Drugs such as Cocaine, Heroin and Marijuana?

Cesc Fabregas
05-10-2009, 03:27 AM
According to the french federation he has failed the drug test good ridance!

Cloudy
05-10-2009, 03:34 AM
Source? Are you talking about the second test?

http://www.fft.fr/filinfos/default.asp?ID=4922

they've said nothing yet. They don't want to comment at this stage.

Fedace
05-10-2009, 03:38 AM
Gasquet thought he can be a McEnroe. But the Golden Era of tennis is over!!!

Yes but for the French, the Golden era of tennis Never over...:)

batz
05-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Wow. Didn't expect to be reading about this when I got up this morning.

Maybe we should all wait for official confirmation of multiple test failures before speculating.

I am pretty sure however that WADA deems cocaine to be a performance enhancing drug on the basis that it increases confidence. WADA rules don't require that someone needs to be competing under the influence of a performance enhancing substance i.e. the fact that a player never actually played under the influence of cocaine doesn't acutally matter - the only material question is whether or not cocaine was in his system (whether he knew about it or not is alse immaterial).

It'll be a shame if further tests are positive.

Bitter Hitter
05-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Im amazed again by the depth of the ignorance around these boards:

A few samples :

Cocaine is a Performance Enhancing Drug?

Careful who you call ignorant:

"Taking cocaine makes users feel on top of the world. Its effect is like the stimulant ‘amphetamines’ (speed) but is stronger and doesn't last as long. People taking it feel wide-awake, confident and on top of their game."

http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=106

There is a reason why cocaine is the drug of choice of musicians, actors, opera singers and yes sports stars. It can give the abuser a temporary sense of well being, confidence and alertness that improves the performance.

If he actually tested positive at a competition then he should receive the full two year ban.

If it was an out of competition fail and the hair follicles prove that he isn't a a habitual user then maybe a shorter ban is more appropriate.

Either way he should be fined heavily for bringing the ATP into disrepute.

Cloudy
05-10-2009, 03:49 AM
http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/2009_Prohibited_List_ENG_Final_20_Sept_08.pdf

it is only prohibited during competition according to this so I wonder when the sample was taken and whether or not it counts as him being in competition.

batz
05-10-2009, 04:00 AM
http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/2009_Prohibited_List_ENG_Final_20_Sept_08.pdf

it is only prohibited during competition according to this so I wonder when the sample was taken and whether or not it counts as him being in competition.

I think he tested positive at Miami.

Cloudy
05-10-2009, 04:09 AM
But he didn't play in miami he withdrew before his first round match. So it would depend on when he was tested at miami, before or after he withdrew and when exactly he withdrew as that would have bearing on whether he was regarded as in competition at the time.

Element54
05-10-2009, 04:31 AM
I think he will get banned for two years :S

rafan
05-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Anyone who has to travel a lot should avoid illegal substances anyway. Some foreign jails can be very nasty

eeytennis
05-10-2009, 05:18 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090509_195949_gasquet-positif-a-la-cocaine.html

:( :(

Jeez, how stupid can some of the players be? Cocaine? He has a great tennis career and has been rather successful and he just throws it away like that. He deserves to get suspended, serves him right.

veroniquem
05-10-2009, 05:28 AM
He isnt even ranked in the top 20 and hasnt been since late last year. Once the points from his fluke Wimbledon semi came off the computer he very soon returned to where he belongs- outside the top 20.
He could have done well at Wimbledon this year too. Why the hate? He's a very talented player, it's certainly big news for France, he's the most famous French player.

Fedexeon
05-10-2009, 06:11 AM
He could have done well at Wimbledon this year too. Why the hate? He's a very talented player, it's certainly big news for France, he's the most famous French player.

But lately he has been replaced by Simon, Monfils and Tsonga. I think Tsonga and Monfils may be the most popular French players due to Monfils' performance in French Open (semifinalist in 2008) and Tsonga's win in Paris Indoor Masters last year. :)

thejoe
05-10-2009, 06:17 AM
But lately he has been replaced by Simon, Monfils and Tsonga. I think Tsonga and Monfils may be the most popular French players due to Monfils' performance in French Open (semifinalist in 2008) and Tsonga's win in Paris Indoor Masters last year. :)

Are you French? Veronique is, so she probably knows better than you do.

Gorecki
05-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Careful who you call ignorant:

"Taking cocaine makes users feel on top of the world. Its effect is like the stimulant ‘amphetamines’ (speed) but is stronger and doesn't last as long. People taking it feel wide-awake, confident and on top of their game."

http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=106

There is a reason why cocaine is the drug of choice of musicians, actors, opera singers and yes sports stars. It can give the abuser a temporary sense of well being, confidence and alertness that improves the performance.

If he actually tested positive at a competition then he should receive the full two year ban.

If it was an out of competition fail and the hair follicles prove that he isn't a a habitual user then maybe a shorter ban is more appropriate.

Either way he should be fined heavily for bringing the ATP into disrepute.

there is scientific evidence that it does not improve your physical endurance... only works in terms of awareness! so it does not qualify into the OMS (WHO) category of performance drug!

as for the bolded part, In dubio Pro Reu

other than that... we agree!

rafan
05-10-2009, 06:42 AM
there is scientific evidence that it does not improve your physical endurance... only works in terms of awareness! so it does not qualify into the OMS (WHO) category of performance drug!

as for the bolded part, In dubio Pro Reu

other than that... we agree!

:oops:

I have also heard that too much cocaine abuse can cause a stroke

rafan
05-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Anyway I hope it's negative. He is a darn good player and tennis needs him

veroniquem
05-10-2009, 06:55 AM
I don't think he's been "replaced". Tsonga has become a big star after his AO final but Gasquet is still a much bigger name than Monfils or Simon and he's been for much longer than Tsonga. You simply don't realize how well liked Gasquet is in France. This is a big blow to French tennis in general.

PERL
05-10-2009, 07:24 AM
I don't think he's been "replaced". Tsonga has become a big star after his AO final but Gasquet is still a much bigger name than Monfils or Simon and he's been for much longer than Tsonga. You simply don't realize how well liked Gasquet is in France. This is a big blow to French tennis in general.

Tennis players are not that popular. Laure Manaudou (swimming), Tony Parker and soccer players are far more. Gasquet is well known but he has won nothing relevant at this point, he’s not that big a star, outside of the tennis fans. Mauresmo is a star. Monfils comes first on the men's side :

http://www.lequipe.fr/Aussi/20081108_002150_henry-sportif-favori-des-francais_Dev.html

That said, it’s hard to dislike Gasquet. He’s a nice guy with a nice game. I wish him well. Time to grow up.

fps
05-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Anyway I hope it's negative. He is a darn good player and tennis needs him

i'm not sure tennis *needs* him- there's always room for one more misfiring genius, especially as gulbis has been exposed as more of an 80-20 split on those two factors, but he's not a vital figure in the game. there are plenty of french players to take his place in that nation's affections, the game there isn't going to take the kind of hit there that it'd take in aus or czech rep if hewitt or berdych did this. it would be great to see him show some desire. he has a surprisingly big serve but no real strategy/ direction with it, and he often looks like he's a bit too cool to really fight for a match.

Morrissey
05-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Gasquet is a well known player and pretty good. So for him to get banned (if he does) would be an unfortunate thing for tennis and especially French tennis. If the B sample comes up positive I think he should get a suspension, but not 2 YEARS! That seems a bit too much for a one time offense of recreational drug.

But rules are rules I guess. I'm no Gasquet fan but this sounds like it's a bit over the top. The ATP are taking their drug policies a bit too far don't you think? 2 years is a long time in tennis years and Gasquet would have 2 of his best years taken away from him for a silly hit of coke in Miami. He'll be 23 thi summer and if the ban is in effect he can come back at 25. I doubt he'll win a slam this year but that's pretty rough on the kid. Anyone agree?

thejoe
05-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I've just seen on Sky Sports news that Gasquet has admitted to testing positive to cocaine.

Cloudy
05-10-2009, 08:29 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090510_182155_gasquet-confirme.html

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Richard Gasquet officially confirmed Sunday he was tested positive for cocaine before the tournament in Miami.. Speaking in a press release, the french player was announced at the same time against the expert had confirmed the first analysis.
"The examination of the sample B of control suffered late March 2009, during the tournament in Miami, which I was not involved, confirmed the positive result of sample A taken the same day," thus recognized the player. "Given the complexity of this issue, I present the evidence gathered in my innocence and fixerai good time to speak," has finally ended Biterrois.

There we go. Gasquet has 2 years to learn his lesson and hopefully become mentally stronger.

Crayola Oblongata
05-10-2009, 08:38 AM
He's confirmed he has tested positive, but is going to try and clear his name. meh

shadows
05-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Gasquet admits failed drugs test

Former Wimbledon semi-finalist Richard Gasquet has admitted testing positive for cocaine, but insists he will clear his name.

The 22-year-old, who could face a two-year ban from the sport, failed the test at the Miami Masters in March.

"The test of the B sample submitted at the end of March 2009, confirmed the positive result of the A sample taken on the same day," said the Frenchman.

"I want to prove my innocence and will explain myself at an appropriate time."

Gasquet, who reached the Wimbledon semis in 2007 and has a career-high ranking of seventh, said he had submitted himself to an independent test and that a hair analysis "showed no trace of cocaine".

In a statement released earlier on Sunday, the French Tennis Federation said it was "very surprised" by the news.

"If confirmed according to official proceedings, it would be very sad for Richard Gasquet, for tennis in general and for French tennis in particular, whose image would be tarnished," read the FFT statement.

The FFT will follow with great attention the developments of this case, avoiding making hasty judgements and is anxious to leave the player to organise his defence for the international tennis bodie

FFT statement

"At this stage, the FFT does not wish to make further comments because it is down to the anti-doping authorities, within the International Tennis Federation (ITF), to assess such a case and it is not for the FFT to intervene.

"The FFT will follow with great attention the developments of this case, avoiding making hasty judgements and is anxious to leave the player to organise his defence for the international tennis bodies.

"If the facts are correct, however, this would be particularly unfortunate in light of all the efforts of the FFT in terms of deterring athletes (from using banned substances)."

Gasquet has been regarded as the brightest young talent in French tennis since turning professional in 2002.

He ended his debut season as the youngest player to finish in the top 200 in the world rankings, and was also the youngest to qualify for an ATP Masters at Monte Carlo.

Gasquet has won five singles titles and more than US$4m (£2.7m) in prize money during his career.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8042543.stm

0range
05-10-2009, 08:56 AM
According to Eurosport UK, Gasquet's "B Sample" (whatever that means) also came back positive. :(

This is the end of his career. If he did indeed get that two year suspension, he's not coming back after that.

veroniquem
05-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Tennis players are not that popular. Laure Manaudou (swimming), Tony Parker and soccer players are far more. Gasquet is well known but he has won nothing relevant at this point, he’s not that big a star, outside of the tennis fans. Mauresmo is a star. Monfils comes first on the men's side :

http://www.lequipe.fr/Aussi/20081108_002150_henry-sportif-favori-des-francais_Dev.html

That said, it’s hard to dislike Gasquet. He’s a nice guy with a nice game. I wish him well. Time to grow up.
Tennis is very popular in France, nothing like soccer of course but I would say RG is the second most popular event.

Leublu tennis
05-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Cocaine is illiegal and is supplied by criminals - who don't think twice about gunning people down. if they see an opportunity to take advantage of a rich, famous guy, they will. Tennis certainly does not want its players subject to extortion or becoming addicts who will do anything for drugs. The game can't afford to be linked to criminal enterprises - not much different than the gambling scandal.Very good point.

Leublu tennis
05-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Gasquet thought he can be a McEnroe. But the Golden Era of tennis is over!!!McEnroe? He took drugs?

veroniquem
05-10-2009, 09:09 AM
According to Eurosport UK, Gasquet's "B Sample" (whatever that means) also came back positive. :(

This is the end of his career. If he did indeed get that two year suspension, he's not coming back after that.
This is really sad, just before RG and Wimby too bad. I will miss him especially at W. I've always loved watching him on grass. We don't have that many good players that we want to lose them this way, very depressing.

Crayola Oblongata
05-10-2009, 09:11 AM
ATP Tour - Gasquet admits failed test

Eurosport - Sun, 10 May 18:00:00 2009

French tennis player Richard Gasquet confirmed that he tested positive for cocaine at the Miami Masters in March.

World number 23 Gasquet, 22, said the B sample also showed traces of the banned substance.

"The B sample test from March 2009, during the Miami tournament, in which I did not take part, confirms the positive results from the A sample," read a statement from the player read out on French radio RTL.

The former world number seven faces a two-year ban if found guilty of taking a banned substance.
Reuters

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10052009/58/atp-tour-gasquet-admits-failed-test.html

veroniquem
05-10-2009, 09:12 AM
McEnroe? He took drugs?
It is rumored that he took cocaine and that a lot of players in his era did as well. I have no idea if there is any truth to it or not. I just know the rules were looser at that time.

Gugafan
05-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Gasquet is a well known player and pretty good. So for him to get banned (if he does) would be an unfortunate thing for tennis and especially French tennis. If the B sample comes up positive I think he should get a suspension, but not 2 YEARS! That seems a bit too much for a one time offense of recreational drug.

But rules are rules I guess. I'm no Gasquet fan but this sounds like it's a bit over the top. The ATP are taking their drug policies a bit too far don't you think? 2 years is a long time in tennis years and Gasquet would have 2 of his best years taken away from him for a silly hit of coke in Miami. He'll be 23 thi summer and if the ban is in effect he can come back at 25. I doubt he'll win a slam this year but that's pretty rough on the kid. Anyone agree?

Agreed, 2 years is abit harsh. The ITF have been known to penalise athletes for the same duration (Canas and Puerta). I am not sure if they will make any exception for Gasquet...Hope I am wrong though.

Cloudy
05-10-2009, 09:25 AM
I think it really will depend on the timing of the test as he didn't play the tournie.

PERL
05-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Tennis is very popular in France, nothing like soccer of course but I would say RG is the second most popular event.

RG is popular, no question. Outside of RG and some of the DC, you won’t see any tournament televised nowadays. You’ll have to pay to watch anything else, including the other majors and Bercy. Tennis is on par with rugby and cycling. Former players like Noah are far more popular than any current french player. It's still more popular than in the U.S.

Tennis360
05-10-2009, 09:41 AM

yeah - I don't think he'll come back either...end of his career...and that backhand will be history. just so sad :cry:. but someone has to learn from his mistakes. however, i'm not really quite sure why he is still saying "he will prove his innocence"?

Benhur
05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
It is rumored that he took cocaine and that a lot of players in his era did as well. I have no idea if there is any truth to it or not. I just know the rules were looser at that time.

Here is a very quick and very short research on the topic.

Yannick Noah, on the subject
http://tinyurl.com/p34rra

Boris Becker, on the subject
http://tinyurl.com/og9jdf

McEnroe
http://tinyurl.com/qhv9gt

McEnroe
http://tinyurl.com/p4xeto

Wilander, Novacek, Borg
http://tinyurl.com/ojtmu4

Borg
http://tinyurl.com/paz6v6

Gerulaitis
http://tinyurl.com/qbju37

Gerulaitis (according to Nastase)
http://tinyurl.com/ql77dm

tacou
05-10-2009, 10:27 AM
he did not play in Miami, so how can he be banned?

maximo
05-10-2009, 10:29 AM
^^ he played in rome.

lainey80
05-10-2009, 11:54 AM
this is VERY hard to believe.. he seems like such a GOOD boy.
if it is true.. he's got some bad influences around him, he needs to get away from IMMEDIATELY..
if NOT, then shame on whoever set him up or however this came about..
I really hope this isn't true!!

mandy01
05-10-2009, 11:59 AM
The whole matter has pretty much left me speechless :sad:

rafan
05-10-2009, 12:08 PM
The sadest part is that he was in such a great position, like so many amateur hopefuls ( and the top 100) would like to be.

tacou
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
^^ he played in rome.

but didn't the test come from Miami? meaning he tested positive in a tournament he didn't participate.

was he then tested in Rome again? or is there some sort of time span on cocaine where it stays in your body and makes you a better tennis player?

Gugafan
05-10-2009, 12:42 PM
was he then tested in Rome again? or is there some sort of time span on cocaine where it stays in your body and makes you a better tennis player?

I dont think cocaine is a performance enhancing drug as such.

mandy01
05-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Well..Since the B sample is positive too he's going to have a huge battle trying to prove himself innocent.The hair test was negative so there's some hope..but very little. :sad:

TheTruth
05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Terrible, terrible news for tennis. Gasquet is a big enough name for it to send ripples through the circuit. Hate to see it happen.

veryfatchocobo
05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I dont think cocaine is a performance enhancing drug as such.
Doesn't really matter. Cocaine is illegal by most country's laws.

veroniquem
05-10-2009, 01:53 PM
RG is popular, no question. Outside of RG and some of the DC, you won’t see any tournament televised nowadays. You’ll have to pay to watch anything else, including the other majors and Bercy. Tennis is on par with rugby and cycling. Former players like Noah are far more popular than any current french player. It's still more popular than in the U.S.
Is Bercy on canal + now?

veroniquem
05-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Here is a very quick and very short research on the topic.

Yannick Noah, on the subject
http://tinyurl.com/p34rra

Boris Becker, on the subject
http://tinyurl.com/og9jdf

McEnroe
http://tinyurl.com/qhv9gt

McEnroe
http://tinyurl.com/p4xeto

Wilander, Novacek, Borg
http://tinyurl.com/ojtmu4

Borg
http://tinyurl.com/paz6v6

Gerulaitis
http://tinyurl.com/qbju37

Gerulaitis (according to Nastase)
http://tinyurl.com/ql77dm
Very interesting. Thank you for the research.

Miami Tiburon
05-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I wonder were he was able to find cocaine in Miami? We are just not that type of city.Must of brought it with him.

thejoe
05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I wonder were he was able to find cocaine in Miami? We are just not that type of city.Must of brought it with him.

Every city is that kind of city...

CCNM
05-10-2009, 02:37 PM
First Manny Ramirez & now this??? Say it ain't so Richard G.:(:(:(

split-step
05-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Every city is that kind of city...

He was being sarcastic. Huge drug prescence in Miami.

split-step
05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
If Hingis got a 2 yr ban, and other players as well, Gasquet should get no different.
His backhand may be God's gift to tennis for all I care. No double standards.

tacou
05-10-2009, 03:25 PM
If Hingis got a 2 yr ban, and other players as well, Gasquet should get no different.

I believe Hingis the only player to receive the 2yr ban, and Richard would only be the third player every to face this specific charge.

so, is he going to keep playing until the ban is official? he's so mentally tough that I don't think it would effect his play at all, especially at RG!

Pirao
05-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I believe Hingis the only player to receive the 2yr ban, and Richard would only be the third player every to face this specific charge.

so, is he going to keep playing until the ban is official? he's so mentally tough that I don't think it would effect his play at all, especially at RG!

I don't think they'll let him play now that he has tested positive...

tacou
05-10-2009, 03:49 PM
^ yeah but from what I've read there has been no punishment or mention of temporary ban.

I'm just comparing to Davy playing all the while he was under investigation. I think it would be really unfair if Richard loses a year of play just trying to prove his innocence.

Tennis360
05-10-2009, 04:34 PM
found this article. not sure if this has been posted here. Santoro and Llodra speak:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hfpPbNsU8E6_DQKs7lFMCaZFwyFw

Santoro (quote):
"I spoke to him on the telephone," Santoro, who trains alongside Gasquet in the Team Lagardere training set-up, told Europe 1 radio station.

"He is sad, really shocked. He doesn't understand. He told me about his dinner, his evening (on the night before the drug test)..."

"I've known Richard since he was nine years old, so I'm very surprised," Santoro, 36, continued.

"I found out about the case yesterday (Saturday) evening. I know Richard and his way of life very well, so it's a huge surprise because it doesn't add up.

"Or maybe I was wrong (about Gasquet) - which would really surprise me, because I know him very well - or maybe there is a problem somewhere else."

Llodra (quote):
"I don't know in which context he could have taken something or if he knew what he was doing. Only he knows.

"When I go out I am very careful. I keep my hand over my glass, because I know that this kind of mistake can happen very quickly."

also from this article "Roger Federer, meanwhile, expressed hope that Gasquet would be exonerated".

coloskier
05-10-2009, 04:48 PM

Yes, but I believe it gives a false positive for heroin, not cocaine.

bakla
05-10-2009, 04:48 PM
First Manny Ramirez & now this??? Say it ain't so Richard G.:(:(:(

Uhhh, no. Manny Ramirez is a cheater. He took a real proven performance enhancing drug to boost testosterone levels and build muscle, something that I'd imagine factored into all the home runs he hits.

Gasquet is a party boy who got caught with his pants down. I think a more apt comparison to him is Michael Phelps.

VictorS.
05-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Obviously if Gasquet is indeed guilty, I think he should definitely be suspended for a period of time. I think a one year suspension is more fair. A tennis player's career is so short. To take two years from him is a bit harsh imo.

J-man
05-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I wonder were he was able to find cocaine in Miami? We are just not that type of city.Must of brought it with him.:lol: good sense of humor man

Mansewerz
05-10-2009, 06:43 PM
So has the second test been taken and was it also positive?

Mastadon_10S
05-10-2009, 06:54 PM
what an idiot... the perfect example of the "it won't happen to me" theory in action

Feña14
05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
So has the second test been taken and was it also positive?

I believe so.

He also did a hair sample which came back negative though, whatever that means? :confused:

Tempest344
05-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Stepanek's hand grows longer I see

NamRanger
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Stepanek's hand grows longer I see

LOL I fell out of my chair while reading that.

GoaLaSSo
05-10-2009, 08:04 PM

You also would have to eat an unreal amount.

6rump
05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
is gasquet will play on Madrid Masters??

Underhand
05-10-2009, 11:20 PM
is gasquet will play on Madrid Masters??

No, he will play in Bogotá.

120mphBodyServe
05-10-2009, 11:30 PM
So when are we going to hear about the B test???
*sigh*...

SonRK
05-11-2009, 12:20 AM
So when are we going to hear about the B test???
*sigh*...

It came out positive... read some of the posts before, and some newer articles state that it has indeed come out positive

navratilovafan
05-11-2009, 12:27 AM

Hingis is a far more important figure to the womens game than Gasquet is to the mens. If there were any double standards it would be Hingis being treated more leaniently by the WTA than Gasquet by the ATP. Gasquet will get 2 years, no doubt.

Crayola Oblongata
05-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Apparently he has been suspended on a temporary basis until 12 july.

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/comment-gasquet-prepare-sa-defense-11-05-2009-508434.php

David_Is_Right
05-11-2009, 04:05 AM
If his addiction got bad, owed money to the wrong people, got involved in the wrong crowd, and so on, I would have to wonder about his on-court performance and so would the ATP. If it got bad enough, he could throw matches so his dealers could bet and get their money, he could bring some wrong people into the tennis inner circle (which could cause more problems), or he could OD on the court and really give tennis a black eye. If he is guilty, he deserves his penalty.

I've never heard a more ridiculous flight of fancy...

David_Is_Right
05-11-2009, 04:06 AM
and don't let him play until he's completely recovered

Recovered from what, exactly?!

seffina
05-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Sorry that it came back positive. I hope he recovers from this and is playing tennis soon. I'll miss him.

jjl
05-11-2009, 04:37 AM
don't do the crime if you can't do the time. look at those party pictures, and positive test on sample A, i think we all know the outcome of the sample b testing. no one else to blame but himself. if he gets suspended for two years, we'll just have to see if and how he is able to come back.

Pirao
05-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Recovered from what, exactly?!

From his addiction, obviously, that's what drugs cause ain't it? Addiction?

Arvid
05-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Its funny that when these things surface no one is ever guilty and they never understand how it happened. This was also the case with Mats Wilander when he was suspended years ago. In fact he even fought a battle for a few years to get exonorated, but low and behold a few months back in a tv show he did admit that he actually was guilty of taking cocaine. As he expressed it himself it was a private matter and nothing that had to do with sports. Well Mats when youre playing tennis youre a public figure and a role model to others, youre supposed to follow the rules of doping put up by the atp and if you fail to do so its is NOT a private matter any less then it was a private matter when Ben Johnsson was caught with stanozolol! I hope they suspend Gasquet for 2 years and that it will be a warning for other players to stay the heck away from that kind of stupid behaviour!

coloskier
05-11-2009, 05:17 AM
don't do the crime if you can't do the time. look at those party pictures, and positive test on sample A, i think we all know the outcome of the sample b testing. no one else to blame but himself. if he gets suspended for two years, we'll just have to see if and how he is able to come back.

They already have the "B" sample tested, and it came back positive, too.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-11-2009, 05:17 AM
If his addiction got bad, owed money to the wrong people, got involved in the wrong crowd, and so on, I would have to wonder about his on-court performance and so would the ATP. If it got bad enough, he could throw matches so his dealers could bet and get their money, he could bring some wrong people into the tennis inner circle (which could cause more problems), or he could OD on the court and really give tennis a black eye.

Taking this to extreme degrees totally unnecessary in any case. As its said the 2nd came up positive also. Why waste your time worrying and going to extreme degrees in this way making empty hypotheses about what this could mean for Gasquet and tennis. It's almost laughable the exaggeration factor. Why would the ATP or anyone let it go that far?

Otherwise...I do find it somewhat ironic as Arvid said that when someone like this happens, most claim they are innocent, no idea how it happened, etc. etc. El Anaoyi (sp I know) when his result came up positive for marijuana use, he was like, um yeah I did smoke some. Took his penalty and that was that. Some people choose to have selective memory. I would say I am not quick to judge to a conclusion and rarely overly harsh in judgement, because one recalls having done some stupid things myself when I was younger. (And no, just because these are top level tennis players and know they have drug testing doesnt it make them p aragons of proper behavior all the time).

If someone has taken an illegal sustance, or a banned substance, and they admit to the use, apologize, won't do it again and get needed helped....why condemn them, we all make mistakes. In general, I have and I would think many people have less tolerance for those who immediately cry innocent and no cognizance of wrongdoing, yet clear results show the opposite.

REVERSO
05-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Gasquet retired from Miami Open due to injury. Then he went to party in a Miami Beach Club with DJ Bob Sinclar. He probably thought he would not be tested because he retired from the Open, and wanted to have a god time. It sure is a mistake. But the ATP should make a difference between this case and, say, a cheater who uses steroid. Gasquet should not be treated like a criminal, and banned for 2 YEARS like a real cheater who uses EPO or steroids… Don't get me wrong, he should sanctionned and get a fine. Maybe six months out of the Tour and a huge fine. But 2 years !!!???? This is ridiculous.

CCNM
05-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Uhhh, no. Manny Ramirez is a cheater. He took a real proven performance enhancing drug to boost testosterone levels and build muscle, something that I'd imagine factored into all the home runs he hits.

Gasquet is a party boy who got caught with his pants down. I think a more apt comparison to him is Michael Phelps.
You have a point there.:)

PERL
05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Is Bercy on canal + now?

Yes, also the TV landscape has developed, therefore more competition between channels and Canal + has big money. In the eighties, you could watch Wimbledon live and all the small tournaments standing in France, plus Monte Carlo on a mainstream channel. The US Open and the Masters at the Madison Square Garden even at some point. Not being nostalgic here, c’est la vie.

Richie Rich
05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
gasquet mentioned he was gathering evidence to prove his innocence. it will be interesting to see what he comes up with

seffina
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I hope it's just a three month suspension since he wasn't active at the tournament when this test occurred. A fine as well. I'm really anti drugs like cocaine not because of what it does to you, but all the crap that goes into getting it from the farm to the consumer. So he should at least show some kind of a remorse (if guilty) or suffer enough repercussions that it discourages others a little more from following suit. I have a feeling it wasn't intentional and probably happened in the midst of some partying/drinking, but it happened.

djones
05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
From his addiction, obviously, that's what drugs cause ain't it? Addiction?

Yeah Right!!!
As if Gasquet is addicted.

markmurray
05-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Slippery slope arguments are always awful. If he _______ then _______ and then __________ and BAM(!!!). Isn't that terrible??!1

Fill in the gaps, see how ridiculous you can sound. You did a good job, but maybe you could do even better.

Pretty sure Richard Gasquet earns enough money that a decent drug habit won't hit him too hard financially. Not that I think he has a drug habit. I think he's a young kid with a lot of pressure on him who perhaps slipped up. For what it's worth, I don't even call it a slip up if he's just your average 22 y/o who doesn't have to worry about a drug test. I don't personally do drugs but I have a fair few friends who do them on occasion. To each his own. Since using cocaine is absolutely not going to help his performance one bit, the only moral argument against using drugs is the suffering that is caused along the chain of production/distribution. But then, in the developed world, we consume all sorts of things that are the result of suffering somewhere along the line. If Gasquet tended his own private coca farm and processed it into cocaine for his own personal use and did 2 lines every night, then I'd say he's doing as much [morally] wrong as if he drank 2 bottles of wine every night. It'd be completely stupid and very destructive, but not wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I really hope I'm not) but drug tests are, in their essence, about catching cheaters... players trying to gain an artificial advantage over the competition. I think it is sad that they are used as an excuse to force morals on people because cocaine does NOT enhance performance. Obviously this is all about keeping the sponsors happy, IMO just another example of money corrupting sport. A neccessary evil, I understand, but an evil nontheless.

While we're at it, the "role-model" argument is a terrible one too. "What sort of example is this setting the kids? BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!". If he wasn't tested for cocaine, nobody would know he did it anyway so all the little kiddies wouldn't be terrorised!

skip1969
05-11-2009, 09:41 AM
damn, it sucks when you fail a drug test . . . er . . . not that i would know.

Sleepstream
05-11-2009, 09:43 AM
"Cocaine's a hell of a drug." - Rick James

Unfortunate to see this happen to him.

Pirao
05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah Right!!!
As if Gasquet is addicted.

You don't know, but if he has get caught doing drugs, it's not an unreasonable assumption.

skip1969
05-11-2009, 09:57 AM
i'm with markmurray on this one. i've never understood why athletes get tested for stuff that doesn't enhance performance. that's really the only thing that a governing body should look for. the rest is irrelevant. i mean, they aren't asking you how much you drink or how much you get laid, or if you have any social diseases.

it's another thing if your sponsor wants you to stay clean, since they're paying you and it's an image thing. but performance enhancers are the only thing that could give someone an edge, so that should be all they test for.

my neighbor just took a drug test for a new job and afterward, they asked him what he thought about it. he said he disagreed with it, cos he should be judged on his performance on the job. and i agree.

i hate the whole "role model" aspect, too. athletes should not be role models. what they do on their own time is their concern. just cos someone hits huge homers or sweet jump-shots or is a wicked goal-scorer doesn't necessarily make him role model material. that same person could lose money on the horses, or at cards, hit his wife, and forget to call his mom on mother's day. and i don't care. no more than i care how much he drinks or what he smokes or who he takes to bed with him. just play the game, and play it fairly.

stormholloway
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
At least some posters here get it. Any drug test that aims solely to invade privacy has no place in the game. Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug. Any argument about morality is completely irrelevant.

He's a 22-year-old French tennis star. I'd be more concerned if he weren't occasionally going wild.

l_gonzalez
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Gasquet retired from Miami Open due to injury. Then he went to party in a Miami Beach Club with DJ Bob Sinclar. He probably thought he would not be tested because he retired from the Open, and wanted to have a god time. It sure is a mistake. But the ATP should make a difference between this case and, say, a cheater who uses steroid. Gasquet should not be treated like a criminal, and banned for 2 YEARS like a real cheater who uses EPO or steroids… Don't get me wrong, he should sanctionned and get a fine. Maybe six months out of the Tour and a huge fine. But 2 years !!!???? This is ridiculous.

totally agree with you there. He's not a cheat, he made a mistake. yes it was a big mistake, but he's human. If anything the ATP can take something out of this, set up a mandatory course for young players on dealing with pressure, bad form, and how to deal with the rollercoaster nature of the Tour.

tacou
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
what if this is the turn around richard needs?? that'd be amazing

Julieta
05-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Sounds a bit cruel to just suspend players for two years instead of helping them get back on their feet.

Get back on his feet? We're talking about a millionaire professional athlete with access to all kinds of resources (private clinic in Switerland or whatever) who should know better in the first place.

Cloudy
05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Do we know he is anything like an addict?

There are plenty of ocassional users of cocaine.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-11-2009, 10:31 AM
"Former top-ranked player Marat Safin believed Gasquet may not be to blame for his positive test.
“Everyone makes mistakes,” the Russian said at the Madrid Open. “I feel sorry for Gasquet. When you’re at a party, at a huge table full of people having fun, it’s absurd to have to watch what glass you’re drinking from.
“Testing for doping is also becoming very intrusive. It gets to the point where you almost feel you should be calling the ATP to tell them where you are after you leave a party.”

Gasquet suspended after positive cocaine test
By STUART CONDIE, AP Sports Writer

I think it's a bit absurd for a number of people to already start assuming its an addiction level case, etc. etc.

After Wilander and Novacek tested positive in French Open 1995 they made some changes regarding, as those players were allowed to still play. Tough for Gasquet, as others have said, its an invasive base of substances they are testing that are not performance enhancing drugs, so in some ways its a bit over the top. A totalitarian set-up.

Beacon Hill
05-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Many of the previous posts make a better case for ending the ridiculous war on drugs than it does for suspending Gasquet. He should never have been tested for this drug in the first place.

Julieta
05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I love how they all claim they have to have the cover over their glass. Oh, sorry, I have no idea how that HgH got there! Someone must have spiked my drink! Sure there are people out to get you but shouldn't your handlers be doing a better job keeping them away from you? Plus if you're really serious about your sport you shouldn't be out there partying anyway. Being allowed to be a professional athlete is a gift and it should be respected. An athlete is dependent upon his/her body to make money - surely a person can keep themselves under control.

Am sure a lot of people on this forum would also deny that players use performance enhancing drugs too. If a person is going to put one drug in their body, what is to stop them from using others, especially the kind that make the difference between winning and losing?

sureshs
05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Plus if you're really serious about your sport you shouldn't be out there partying anyway.

Why? Why doesn't that apply to everyone? If they wish to party, it is up to them. If it affects their play, they will slip in the rankings and you won't hear about them. If it doesn't, they will keep doing well. It is all up to them.

Beacon Hill
05-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I love how they all claim they have to have the cover over their glass. Oh, sorry, I have no idea how that HgH got there! Someone must have spiked my drink! Sure there are people out to get you but shouldn't your handlers be doing a better job keeping them away from you? Plus if you're really serious about your sport you shouldn't be out there partying anyway. Being allowed to be a professional athlete is a gift and it should be respected. An athlete is dependent upon his/her body to make money - surely a person can keep themselves under control.

Am sure a lot of people on this forum would also deny that players use performance enhancing drugs too. If a person is going to put one drug in their body, what is to stop them from using others, especially the kind that make the difference between winning and losing?
Why do you feel that you have the right to dictate what other people should do with their bodies? They are not harming you. Never mind all the double standards about what is illegal and what is legal, what motivates you to step in and be the moral police for others?

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-11-2009, 11:19 AM

All I can do is laugh in a way. I dont know what makes some people think that just because they feel a way (whether its their background, religious beliefs or moralising on other people) then everyone else should live by their rules. Its absurd, and distinctly intolerant. I suppose the people who say this stuff are perfect, immaculate, inhuman, emotionless...I could go on, but won't. Completely absurd.

Ironically enough, if one looked at "public figures" from political venues, to religious heads, doctors and hospital staff, etc. etc. to all levels of society you'll find occasional drug users of some kind, and especially those who overuse prescribed drugs. It affects their health and lives negatively in some way or at some point, but its their own bad choice and some of these by their direct actions affect hundreds of other peoples live in an exact way. A sports figure provides recreational entertainment for the rest of us, not life blowing disappointments if they make a bad decision. Wow, some really need to gain some perspective.

Arvid
05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Gasquet may be really stupid....but even beeing that stupid he surely has to know that if you test positive for cocaine youre running the risk of getting suspended for 2 years. Hello!! Wake up this is the real world were in! So if he gets suspended for 2 years why feel sorry for him? He knew the risk he was taking and more unprofessional behaviour i could not think of. The only thing that could possibly earn him my respect would be if he grew up and took it like a man and admitted to what foolishness hes been up to......before that happens i couldnt possibly feel sorry for him............

Beacon Hill
05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Gasquet may be really stupid....but even beeing that stupid he surely has to know that if you test positive for cocaine youre running the risk of getting suspended for 2 years. Hello!! Wake up this is the real world were in! So if he gets suspended for 2 years why feel sorry for him? He knew the risk he was taking and more unprofessional behaviour i could not think of. The only thing that could possibly earn him my respect would be if he grew up and took it like a man and admitted to what foolishness hes been up to......before that happens i couldnt possibly feel sorry for him............
You honestly can't believe behaviour more unprofessional? And you don't even know that the behaviour was. Wow.

Why do you have the right to demand an apology from him? Should we expect the same from you? So we can forgive you. And always be your moral compass.

fastdunn
05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
well, i see bigger perspective on gasquet's career than the current cocain issue.

it's not easy to deal with everyone's expectations. reminds of rocky career ups and downs of jennifer capriatti and some of andre agassi.

gasquet is still avoiding real life. he avoided french open and davis cup.

I hope he finally face his life, deal with this issue, and come out strong finally.Hopefully this becomes a big wake-up call for him. His talents are too beautiful to be wasted....

vandre
05-11-2009, 11:41 AM
does this mean he's dating hingis???

anyway, if the point is to punish him then they should make him play (based on his recent results)

Pirao
05-11-2009, 11:50 AM

anyway, if the point is to punish him then they should make him play (based on his recent results)

Ouch! 10 chars.

Arvid
05-11-2009, 12:12 PM
You honestly can't believe behaviour more unprofessional? And you don't even know that the behaviour was. Wow.

Why do you have the right to demand an apology from him? Should we expect the same from you? So we can forgive you. And always be your moral compass.

Uhh the behaviour was taking cocaine.......and yeah it is really hard for me to imagine behaviour more unprofessional then that does that surprise you? He certainly doesnt have to appologise to me, but i think im not alone in thinking that anything accept standing up for what he did i not trustworthy and not accepting consequenses for youre actions. These are the rules that the atp has like it or not, if youre stupid enough not to follow those simple rules theres only one to blame right?

Julieta
05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
All I can do is laugh in a way. I dont know what makes some people think that just because they feel a way (whether its their background, religious beliefs or moralising on other people) then everyone else should live by their rules. Its absurd, and distinctly intolerant. I suppose the people who say this stuff are perfect, immaculate, inhuman, emotionless...I could go on, but won't. Completely absurd.

Ironically enough, if one looked at "public figures" from political venues, to religious heads, doctors and hospital staff, etc. etc. to all levels of society you'll find occasional drug users of some kind, and especially those who overuse prescribed drugs. It affects their health and lives negatively in some way or at some point, but its their own bad choice and some of these by their direct actions affect hundreds of other peoples live in an exact way. A sports figure provides recreational entertainment for the rest of us, not life blowing disappointments if they make a bad decision. Wow, some really need to gain some perspective.

Not sure where people get the idea I'm moralizing but whatever. The guy earns his living with his body. If I model skin care and I decide to go on a three month sunbaking binge and get fired, do I have anyone to blame but myself? If I'm a ballerina and I take up marathon running in my spare time and ruin my feet what then? In tennis a player is lucky if they have a ten year career. It's funny how people are reacting so much to what I say.

Julieta
05-11-2009, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Beacon Hill;3407713]Why do you feel that you have the right to dictate what other people should do with their bodies? They are not harming you. Never mind all the double standards about what is illegal and what is legal, what motivates you to step in and be the moral police for others?[/QUOT

Not being moral police here. This is really cracking me up.

Julieta
05-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Why? Why doesn't that apply to everyone? If they wish to party, it is up to them. If it affects their play, they will slip in the rankings and you won't hear about them. If it doesn't, they will keep doing well. It is all up to them.

That is exactly my point. If you earn a living with your body and you are too dumb to realize the maintenance involved then you deserve what you get. I guess my point is that I dont understand why people feel sorry for someone in this situation.

Of course it is sad when people cant cope with success or pressure, but if that is the case they should get professional help. He has the resources for the best in the world.

Larry Lava
05-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I really wish that athletes would take responsibility for what he/she has done and just admit it. It may happen occasionally but not very often. even Gasquet is supposedly "gathering evidence to prove his innocence". I recall being a company commander in the Army and having soldiers test positive for marijuana or cocaine use and with some, I was shocked and thought that the testing might be somehow tainted after their initial denials. However, they all "came clean" eventually and just admitted that they had been caught. Then again, Marat Safin seems to think that somebody might have slipped him something. I've never done cocaine so I can't personally testify but it seems to me that if somebody "spiked" enough of something that I consumed to eventually test positive, then there should have been some kind of reaction at the time that would make me go to the hospital or at least document the incident, in my own defense.

sureshs
05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Marat hinted that it could have happened by drinking spiked drinks at a party and Gasquet may not have done it intentionally. Marat should know :-)

cliff
05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
He has so much racquet talent, but to excel in sport you have to put in the work day in day out. I have really enjoyed watching him over the years here are some video clips if you want to check them out. http://www.procomparetennis.net/search/videos:all/gasquet

He has an awesome backhand have a look and enjoy it because we may not see it for another two years http://www.procomparetennis.net/video/Gasquet-Short-Topspin-Backhand-Front-View

woodrow1029
05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
At least some posters here get it. Any drug test that aims solely to invade privacy has no place in the game. Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug. Any argument about morality is completely irrelevant.

He's a 22-year-old French tennis star. I'd be more concerned if he weren't occasionally going wild.
So, are you saying that they did not have the right to test for cocaine?

Pirao
05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of people condoning this :confused:.

woodrow1029
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of people condoning this :confused:.
Me too, especially since cocaine is on the "banned substance list."

Gugafan
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Definition of condone: to regard or treat (something bad or blameworthy) as acceptable, forgivable, or harmless <a government accused of condoning racism> <condone corruption in politics>

So you are saying that cocaine usage is acceptable, forgivable, or harmless? :confused: You need to adopt me because I need you to be my mother or father! (not!)

lol thanks I missed the 'do not;

Post edited

Gugafan
05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
The players may be tested at any random time during the year. I don't understand what the timing has to do with it?

Gasquet cannot be labelled a 'cheat' as he clearly had withdrawn from the Miami Masters, hence the drug was taken whilst he was not competing in any ATP level tour matches.

Ask yourself why Athletes are banned for taking drugs??...Answer..Because of the possible effects of performance enhancing and unfair advantage over fellow competitors. This does not apply in Gasquets case.

woodrow1029
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Gasquet cannot be labelled a 'cheat' as he clearly had withdrawn from the Miami Masters, hence the drug was taken whilst he was not competing in any ATP level tour matches.

Ask yourself why Athletes are banned for taking drugs??...Answer..Because of the possible effects of performance enhancing and unfair advantage over fellow competitors. This does not apply in Gasquets case.
It still doesn't change the fact that cocaine is on the banned substance list and the players may be tested at anytime whether at a tournament or not.

veroniquem
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM

I know the subject is serious but your post is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!

Fed Kennedy
05-11-2009, 03:13 PM
No wonder belushi never won a slam

Staiger
05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I am going to miss seeing him riping his backhand but apart from that I wont be shredding any tears

Staiger
05-11-2009, 03:33 PM

No, thats just mean they had a wild party in her apartment

marcl65
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM

I think it also has to do with this idea that sports figures are held to a higher standard than your average Joe or Jill…i.e. they are supposedly role models.

Gugafan
05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I agree too.

I'm in the 'dont ban Gasquet' petition.

TheNatural
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
If he's found innocent do they compensate him in some way for his lost earnings?

Suspension (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/injury-forces-serena-to-pull-out-early-again-1683152.html)
(The Independent Tennis: By Paul Newman in Madrid)

Richard Gasquet has been suspended from playing following his positive drugs test for cocaine. The Frenchman is expected to attend an International Tennis Federation hearing within the next two months. Until this year, players who had failed tests could continue to play in tournaments until they had a chance to appeal the findings.

Fed Kennedy
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Can you imagine if they had this rule in the 70s? The whole tour would have been wiped out

Tennis360
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Can you imagine if they had this rule in the 70s? The whole tour would have been wiped out

Lol

Include me in the "don't ban Gasquet" petition too.

skip1969
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
If he's found innocent do they compensate him in some way for his lost earnings?

Suspension (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/injury-forces-serena-to-pull-out-early-again-1683152.html)
(The Independent Tennis: By Paul Newman in Madrid)

Richard Gasquet has been suspended from playing following his positive drugs test for cocaine. The Frenchman is expected to attend an International Tennis Federation hearing within the next two months. Until this year, players who had failed tests could continue to play in tournaments until they had a chance to appeal the findings.
if a player cannot play until the itf decides to meet, they should probably manage it a bit sooner than two months, eh?

6rump
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
There is still hope for gasquet to attend Wimbledon if the test is Negative.... OMG gasquet, this is a shocking news for me.....!

Tennis360
05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Marat in his own words:

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/09/05/11/TENNIS_Gasquet_Nightlead.html

Safin (quote):
"It's a tough position right now for him but he has to face all of you guys (reporters) and he's been around the newspapers for the last two days.

"So I think that it's kind of painful for him and his family and also the way you guys have put it on some newspapers.

"You know, everybody makes mistakes. I don't know how it's going to end up in his case. I don't want to be involved in that, but I just feel sorry for what has happened.

"It's a rubbish situation for him to face, but hopefully he will eventually come back and he'll play his best."

Julieta
05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
It still doesn't change the fact that cocaine is on the banned substance list and the players may be tested at anytime whether at a tournament or not.

Exactly. This is like saying that a player can roid it up all they want between tournaments and that is okay. They should test more often for all of the things people use. Then maybe the sport will be interesting to watch.

West Coast Ace
05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I think it also has to do with this idea that sports figures are held to a higher standard than your average Joe or Jill…i.e. they are supposedly role models.Uh, the average Joe/Jill would have their use (at least here in the States) uncovered by their company or the police. So they would either a) lose their job; b) be forced into some program - but their reputation at their company would be tarnished forever; c) if caught by the cops they would either do jail time or spend a lot of money on legal fees.

The only difference is the media attention.

if a player cannot play until the itf decides to meet, they should probably manage it a bit sooner than two months, eh?In the case of a non-performance enhancing drug I'd say this is bad.

But I'll agree with those who have been saying 'rules are rules' - not like they just threw this in without any warning. The players have know nose candy was on the list - RG made a choice and will have to live with the consequences.

Beacon Hill
05-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Not banning Gasquet for taking cocaine would actually set a good example for children. The message to them is that it is best to have a world where people, as long as they are not hurting others, can do what they choose to do, even if it is something that is harmful to themselves. A police state world, where governments dictate morals and personal life choices is not something we should advocate, and it is not something that children should learn is a good idea.

Serendipitous
05-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Speaking of Gasquet......

Watch in high quality and full-screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXj-vyfvARE&feature=related

I hope he doesn't get banned. :(

Beacon Hill
05-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Not sure where people get the idea I'm moralizing but whatever. The guy earns his living with his body. If I model skin care and I decide to go on a three month sunbaking binge and get fired, do I have anyone to blame but myself? If I'm a ballerina and I take up marathon running in my spare time and ruin my feet what then? In tennis a player is lucky if they have a ten year career. It's funny how people are reacting so much to what I say.
Your analogy makes no sense. If it were logical, sunbathing and marathon running would both be illegal. That's the whole point. Taking cocaine might be a bad idea, but it is none of our business or the ATP's business.

West Coast Ace
05-11-2009, 06:48 PM
PS - I will lose more respect for him if he throws out the 'my drink was spiked' or 'it was a poppyseed' excuse...

oneleggedcardinal
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm a Libertarian and used to think like that. The problem is while RG can afford it, others can't. Thus they would rob to support their habit. They'd also be more likely to drive a car while impaired and kill innocent people, while RG can have the limo take him back to the players' hotel.

So your Fantasyland where everyone does whatever they want is just that - fantasy - and has no place in the real world.

If RG really believes in his right to use illegal drugs he can quit the ATP and start his own tour...

I agree with you in a certain sense. Gasquet most definitely knew (knows) that cocaine is a no-no according to ATP rules. If he wants to play, no cocaine. It can't get any simpler than that. His choice betrays immaturity and, hopefully, he will learn from this and come back to the tour.

Incidentally, nice to 'meet' another Libertarian.

ATXtennisaddict
05-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Gasquet has caved to the pressure of high expectations from himself and his fans.

I always knew this guy didn't have it in him. Mentally, he's not very strong.

NLBwell
05-11-2009, 07:59 PM
The reason that certain drugs are illegal is that they destroy lives and society can not cope with it. Society has had centuries to learn to live with alchohol (and its benefits of not having to drink tainted water). Cocaine and opiates used to be legal until everyone's grandmothers started becoming addicts. By using and buying/causing to be bought cocaine Gasqet would be contributing not only to his ill-being, but also to others in society. To those who would legalize drugs, think about this: what will society become when the full resouces of all the major drug companies are devoted to putting forth the most pleasurable and addicting drugs possible in the effort to grab as much money as possible from the almost 100% of the population who will become addicts.

random guy
05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree with you in a certain sense. Gasquet most definitely knew (knows) that cocaine is a no-no according to ATP rules. If he wants to play, no cocaine. It can't get any simpler than that. His choice betrays immaturity and, hopefully, he will learn from this and come back to the tour.

Incidentally, nice to 'meet' another Libertarian.

I think that the whole point it's not if Gasquet should or shouldn't be penalized. If Gasquet tested positive on a banned substance he will have to be suspended like other before were because the present regulation says so and if not it wouldn't be fair for people like Cañas or Puerta who spent a lot of time away from the tour because of their own bans. BUT, and it's a big but, I think it's time for a healthy discussion over how far jobs can control (aka police) workers on habits or conduct of his own private life whether they're swimmers like Michel Phelphs, tennis players or computer programmers. There's a lot of hypocrisy going on on that topic. The whole "role model" thing that people put over famous athletes is stupid. I don't think that a 20 year old millionaire can actually be held responsible for teaching me or younger people how to behave. It's enough if they provide good entertaiment and shows you how to hit a proper backhand. If I want some guidance or moral advice I rather read Plato (even tough I don't really like Plato, but you can argue with the guy being smart :) )

random guy
05-11-2009, 08:15 PM
The reason that certain drugs are illegal is that they destroy lives and society can not cope with it. Society has had centuries to learn to live with alchohol (and its benefits of not having to drink tainted water). Cocaine and opiates used to be legal until everyone's grandmothers started becoming addicts. By using and buying/causing to be bought cocaine Gasqet would be contributing not only to his ill-being, but also to others in society. To those who would legalize drugs, think about this: what will society become when the full resouces of all the major drug companies are devoted to putting forth the most pleasurable and addicting drugs possible in the effort to grab as much money as possible from the almost 100% of the population who will become addicts.

You can't build personalities by just banning stuff. The same thing (for instance, sex) can be very pleasurable to a person with has his feet on the ground and be the cause of an obsessive compulsion for someone with no will or structure. It's not a simple problem but banning has not resolved anything ever. It actually encourages a very lucrative industry that is on one side, the drug dealers and on the other side the enormous resources spent on drug related police activities. Like everything based on fear and ignorance it only help to keep things as they're (or worse) for the benefit of some lobby.