PDA

View Full Version : What were the Major Outdoor Hardcourt Tournaments in the 1960's?

timnz
05-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I know that indoor wood, grass & clay were the dominant surfaces then. However, there was some tournaments on hardcourt. So my questions are:

1/ What were the most pretigious hardcourt titles of the 1960's?

(I am thinking of the Pacific Southwest in Los Angeles or Perhaps the South African Open in Johannesburg)

2/ Who had the most dominant record on hardcourts for that decade?

Include all of the various sectors of the tennis world. - amateur, pro, open?

jeffreyneave
05-10-2009, 07:47 AM
your right the psw and south african were the two top itf events of the 1960s on hard courts

The best hard court player was laver . in the open era may 1968 onwards he won '69 and '70 south africa, psw '68 and '70. his only failure was psw '69 just after his open slam and his only child was born. on the pro circuit in '64 and '65 he domiated the hard court circuit in south africa to claim the world number one ranking over rosewall.

jeffrey

urban
05-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree with Jeffrey. On the amateur circuit pre 1968 probably the SW pacific and - since Owen Williams took over in 1966 - the South African Champs were the most prolific hard court champs. The amateurs played on hard courts on the caribbean tour, too, on places, where it wasn't clay (as Miami), and in California and the Middle West of the USA in Ohio, where Tony Trabert grew up. The pros of the 60s had an important tour in South Africa with Johannesburg (and Capetown) as premier events. I think, Oklahoma and Los Angeles were two important venues for pro hard courts tournaments, too, since the 60s resp. the late 50s. In the early open era, SW Pacific at LA, Johannesburg South African Open, Boston US Pro (since 69 hard court), Berkeley and Las Vegas were probably the most important hard court tournaments, since 1974 Palm Springs and later Tucson hosted the ATP tournaments on hard court.

timnz
05-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys.

I have read a number of people in this forum downgrade Laver's 1969 Grand Slam Achievement because 'it was just on two surfaces'. But from my point of view, he could only play what was on offer at the time (It wasn't his fault it was only on 2 surfaces). Given his hard court record I have no doubt that if there had been a major on hardcourt he would have won that. His record at the PSW and South African Open establishes that in my mind.

BTURNER
05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I appreciate the question for the very reason timnz suggests. Court, King and Bueno have the same problem. Soooo same questions for the ladies of the 60''s early 70's. which women proved themselves on hard courts, in which events and how competitive were the draws.

joe sch
05-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Timnz,

Excellent post regarding the hardcourts in the 1960s. One of the greatest single championship wins outside of "slam" championships was the 1966 Championship of Pacific Southwest in Los Angeles, which was won by Allen Fox. I call this the "Fox Slam" which is a play on words based on todays "Serena Slam". Allen Fox won this tournament beating Manuel Santana aka "Manolo" Santana, Fred Stolle, Tony Roche, and Roy Emerson in the finals.

I think this maybe a historic win as the only time that a player won a tournament beating the four "slam" wininers for the same year (Austrailian, Wimbledon, French, USO). Can anybody else confirm or deny this win as being a unique tennis accomplishment ?

Another interesting part of this history is that Fox rode his motorcycle each day from UCLA, where he was a grad student, to the Los Angeles Tennis Club.

Joe