PDA

View Full Version : Old Pure Drive vs New Pure drive

Wildcat tennis 11
05-10-2009, 06:30 AM
I had a friend hit with the new pure drive and he said it felt the same. im about to buy a pure drive next week and dont know what the difference is between them does anybody know?

Yoon
05-10-2009, 08:05 AM
There is no difference, just a new paintjob and added GT technology

Cenc
05-10-2009, 08:06 AM
i tested both rackets for a week lets say and i have to say (even though i play with wilson pro staff) that new one is more stable however i prefered the old one, i had more precision
however im not an expert for babolats

featherlight
05-10-2009, 05:36 PM
does the GT make a difference

master_stringer_mitchy
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I must say that the new ones plays alot better. More solid and more predictable, for me, as a player who doe not like these kind of rackets im very impressed

delphi17
05-11-2009, 06:02 AM
There is no difference, just a new paintjob and added GT technology

dont make a comment if you dont know what you are talking about..
its rude to my eyes..

bluegrasser
05-11-2009, 06:06 AM
I must say that the new ones plays alot better. More solid and more predictable, for me, as a player who doe not like these kind of rackets im very impressed

That's how I saw it & have been playing with it for three + weeks. To say it's just a PJ, is to say you haven't hit with the stick.

thundaga
05-11-2009, 06:14 AM
One of the guys I play with has a 1st gen Pure Drive and one with the Cortex. He thinks the cortex is a lot less stable and doesn't really like it at all.

tvp900
05-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Supposedly, the GT technology is designed to help get rid of that hollow feeling you kinda get with current and older models of the Pure Drive. But I really don't know.

Lefty5
05-11-2009, 07:28 AM
paint... .any differences are probably string and tension.

Jyp
05-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Why are the old ones' price the same?? Shouldn't the old ones' prices drop?

kashgotmoney
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
The price might drop once the come out. Right now, it's for pre order.

Also, for those of you that dont know... The Gt stands for graphite tungsten.

Also, the newer one is one point more headlight according to TW. or it just might be that tested a batch that was barely off.

The Young'n
05-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Do you think that the PDC is
going to be discontinued or will they keep it around for a while

usmeagle91
05-13-2009, 07:58 AM
The price might drop once the come out. Right now, it's for pre order.

Also, for those of you that dont know... The Gt stands for graphite tungsten.

Also, the newer one is one point more headlight according to TW. or it just might be that tested a batch that was barely off.

I demoed it yesterday, and it definitely feels lighter than the Pure Drive Cortex

MFRACE
05-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Just got my new Pure Drive GT in today. Gonna string it up tonight and test it tomorrow AM. I'll be stringing with Pro Hurricane Tour 16 and VS, both at 64lbs. I'll follow up with comments tomorrow.

http://tinypic.com/r/671mpx/5

bounty
05-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Old PD (G+Kevlar), New PD (G+Tungsten). What is the difference between K & T?

pricey_aus
05-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Just got my new Pure Drive GT in today. Gonna string it up tonight and test it tomorrow AM. I'll be stringing with Pro Hurricane Tour 16 and VS, both at 64lbs. I'll follow up with comments tomorrow.

http://tinypic.com/r/671mpx/5

Sounds good mate. Do you reckon you could through a review in here to help all of us out?

MFRACE
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
So I strung it up yesterday afternoon and actually hit with it last night. Here's a quick write up on my experiences with the new stick. Just to be clear I got the new Babolat Pure Drive GT - 4 3/8" Handle.

I am a borderline 3.5~4.0 player and play in Medford, Oregon. I am an all court player that hits with a good deal of topspin. I have a one handed backhand.

Overall feel. The weight of the stick feels very similar for the old Pure Drive and based off of the stats it should. The swing weight however felt slightly lower, which meant added maneuverability for many strokes.

Serves - Nearly Identical to the old PD. Perhaps a little less power helped keep my normally very deep serves in the box a tad more consistently. One thing I did notice was an improved feel and therefore placement with this stick. I feel like I need to hit a lot more serves before I finalize my judgment in this category though.

Returns - This stick feels significantly more solid on returns. I was playing against a lefty last night that has tons of pace and spin on his serves. I was returning with more pace and accuracy than usual. Feel was better and so was stability. Very impressed in this area.

Ground strokes - Forehands were solid and very similar to the old PD. Backhands felt a lot better, the improved mobility really helped my one handed backhand. When hitting on the run and when rushed this stick was much easier to control the ball with and felt much crisper.

Volleys - Did a bit of serve and volley last night too. With the old PD I had a tendency to over hit my volleys wide or long at times. This stick seemed much more controllable and had better touch. I've already mentioned the maneuverability improvements and those certainly helped volleys as well.

Overheads - Didn't hit many of these outside my warm-up, so I'll reserve judgment on them. But based on my other play it seems they will be very similar to the old PD.

Overall I'm really happy with what I've seen so far with stick. For my game there is really no downside and it brings better feel and control to the table on most shots.

the need
05-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Overall it seems like there are similarities between all these initial reviews. Thanks for your inclusion.

Wildcat tennis 11
05-14-2009, 02:39 PM
i decided to go with the old pure drive plus.

BigServer1
05-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I shared my take on these a couple of weeks ago...Overall I think it's an upgrade over the old ones, more detail is in the post below.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3325352&postcount=108

bounty
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I have been using PD since 2003 and I have tried PDC & APDC, don't like the feel at all (probably due to the cortex). My 2003 PD cracked in 2006 and I managed to get the last piece in 2007 and has been using it till now. I recently started to play some tours and has been looking for a spare rac. Since PD2002 no longer available, I tried Head Speed Pro, Aero Storm, O3 Black and K95 (although I am using PH 17, most of them strung with crossfire which I am familar; no leads), none of them met the feel, spin and control of my PD2002 (PH17 full 55lbs ATW). I am waiting for the PDGT and very keen to try it without demo (Most pro shop in Singapore doesn't provide demo) :(

Yesterday, I noticed (through some pics on the internet) that the cortex system of the PDGT looks more like cosmetic (less obvious, less seperate from the frame) whereas the PDC cortex looks more like a attached (add-on) piece.

I know a lot of pros don't like the cortex (I am not a pro and I don't like it too). Since Babolat invented it, they don't want to screw themselves up by removing them on the new releases (PDGT). So ... cosmetised it!

I play a lot of doubles with spin & touch, better 1hBH then my FH. What I don't like abt the PD2002 is I volley badly with it whereas I can do it better with the O3 Black. I hope the PDGT feel, spin and improve my volley like the PD2002.

delphi17
05-15-2009, 12:51 AM
i decided to go with the old pure drive plus.

a pure drive plus is a good choice,
but I hope you are 2HBH, because that racquet just feels strange for me on my 1HBH..

Wildcat tennis 11
05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
what does 2HBH mean?

MarrratSafin
05-15-2009, 06:34 PM
what does 2HBH mean?

2-handed backhand lol.

delphi17
05-15-2009, 11:55 PM
what does 2HBH mean?

the reason why it is not so good with 1HBH, is because the pure drive plus is longer and has a longer reach, with 1hbh on lower shots, it would sometimes be difficult to hit low and up adding that topspin u need on the shorts..
(1HBH has more reach than 2HBH)
But with 2HBH, the extra reach from the pd plus would actually be great, and thats why roddick(also a 2HBH'er) actually is using the extended too...

Wildcat tennis 11
05-16-2009, 05:12 AM
lol okay, yeah i do.

bluegrasser
05-17-2009, 04:21 AM
So I strung it up yesterday afternoon and actually hit with it last night. Here's a quick write up on my experiences with the new stick. Just to be clear I got the new Babolat Pure Drive GT - 4 3/8" Handle.

I am a borderline 3.5~4.0 player and play in Medford, Oregon. I am an all court player that hits with a good deal of topspin. I have a one handed backhand.

Overall feel. The weight of the stick feels very similar for the old Pure Drive and based off of the stats it should. The swing weight however felt slightly lower, which meant added maneuverability for many strokes.

Serves - Nearly Identical to the old PD. Perhaps a little less power helped keep my normally very deep serves in the box a tad more consistently. One thing I did notice was an improved feel and therefore placement with this stick. I feel like I need to hit a lot more serves before I finalize my judgment in this category though.

Returns - This stick feels significantly more solid on returns. I was playing against a lefty last night that has tons of pace and spin on his serves. I was returning with more pace and accuracy than usual. Feel was better and so was stability. Very impressed in this area.

Ground strokes - Forehands were solid and very similar to the old PD. Backhands felt a lot better, the improved mobility really helped my one handed backhand. When hitting on the run and when rushed this stick was much easier to control the ball with and felt much crisper.

Volleys - Did a bit of serve and volley last night too. With the old PD I had a tendency to over hit my volleys wide or long at times. This stick seemed much more controllable and had better touch. I've already mentioned the maneuverability improvements and those certainly helped volleys as well.

Overheads - Didn't hit many of these outside my warm-up, so I'll reserve judgment on them. But based on my other play it seems they will be very similar to the old PD.

Overall I'm really happy with what I've seen so far with stick. For my game there is really no downside and it brings better feel and control to the table on most shots.

Your review was very close to what I said. Spot on..

srvnvly
05-17-2009, 04:50 AM
how was the stiffness of the racquet?

andreev_forehand
05-18-2009, 02:31 AM
95% of these racket gimmicks are so lame. First prince puts holes in their rackets, then babolat put sponges or whatever in theirs. How could a racket possibly have any feel when there's a chunk of plastic between the two halves of the frame?

delphi17
05-19-2009, 12:16 AM
95% of these racket gimmicks are so lame. First prince puts holes in their rackets, then babolat put sponges or whatever in theirs. How could a racket possibly have any feel when there's a chunk of plastic between the two halves of the frame?

maybe it would be great, if you could actually demo the racquet before you make comments like that..
remember , it wasnt that long ago people have told columbus, " How could the earth be round? when we all know the earth is flat"

bluegrasser
05-19-2009, 05:09 AM

That's what the market calls for , probably the American market more than anything - most of us are stick wh$res. There are gimmicks, but the Prince holes was an engineering feat, even written up in 'Popular Mech Mag" The holes *do* create a larger sweetspot - no question.

Bubba
05-19-2009, 06:05 AM
You guys need to get real. So, here's my POV -
Received my new GT PDR this week and strung it up after injecting silicone into the handle like I did with my others and replacing the grip with Babolat Leather.

The GT is the same composition of the previous frames - except that tungsten threads have been added to the graphite weave to help improve stability (try to think rebar in concrete) - you can actually see the threads in the upper portion of the hoop. I've noticed that while it ups the RA a point or two, it has improved feel, feedback, and stability of the frame. You get the same power as before, but it's a bit more controlled now. Also, static and SW are slightly higher.

Cortex - yes, it's still there. But folks, please... all cortex is is a small piece of rubberized material that WRAPS around the throat to help absorb vibration. Yes, the design is crap and it actually does little... Hince why I inject silicone into the handle through the trap door. This results in a great feeling frame that gives NO arm pain - even using full poly at 63#'s like I now do.

The new frame is an incremental update to old reliable... I for one really like the Tungsten tweek and think that as this frame gets out there others will as well. you don't take a mainline frame and radically change it (that's what the other frames are for.... take the hoop of the PD and add the throad and handle of the PS, etc)... you make slight modifications to update it.

Additionally - while not affecting playability at all... the new PJ is really sweet, Babolat has done a great job with this frame.

andreev_forehand
05-19-2009, 08:17 AM
maybe it would be great, if you could actually demo the racquet before you make comments like that..
remember , it wasnt that long ago people have told columbus, " How could the earth be round? when we all know the earth is flat"

Maybe it would be great if you actually had any way of knowing whether I had demoed/owned the racquet before I made my comment. I bought the O3 white when it came out and it was total crap. Half the strings migrated to the other half of the racquet face everytime I hit the ball and stayed there, so I had to spend several seconds between each point rearranging strings if I wanted to have any predictability during the next point (something I obviously couldn't do between strokes). This problem may be fixed with polys or with the newer versions they have that hold the strings in place better, but the racquet never felt that stable anyways and I'm not going to waste $200 every time prince comes out with a new "innovation."

andreev_forehand
05-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Cortex - yes, it's still there. But folks, please... all cortex is is a small piece of rubberized material that WRAPS around the throat to help absorb vibration. Yes, the design is crap and it actually does little... Hince why I inject silicone into the handle through the trap door. This results in a great feeling frame that gives NO arm pain - even using full poly at 63#'s like I now do.

Well if it really just wraps around then that's good, but on the Babolat website it says that "the two parts of the racquet are actively linked by the Cortex Dampening System," which is kind of misleading. Having never owned and taken apart one of these racquets I wouldn't know. I should be receiving a demo tomorrow though. I also agree that the GT pj is nice, the old ones were kind of ugly. Maybe a good gimmick comes along every 5 or 10 years, but for the most part they're just trying to rip you off with crap that's useless or worse.

delphi17
05-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Maybe it would be great if you actually had any way of knowing whether I had demoed/owned the racquet before I made my comment. I bought the O3 white when it came out and it was total crap. Half the strings migrated to the other half of the racquet face everytime I hit the ball and stayed there, so I had to spend several seconds between each point rearranging strings if I wanted to have any predictability during the next point (something I obviously couldn't do between strokes). This problem may be fixed with polys or with the newer versions they have that hold the strings in place better, but the racquet never felt that stable anyways and I'm not going to waste $200 every time prince comes out with a new "innovation."

maybe it would be great for you to actually know that I was commenting on you bagging the cortex and the pure drive,
just because O3 White is crap to you, doesnt mean other technology are crap.
You were commenting on the cortex being the same crap while never tried it.
I hope you like your demo, and the pure drive gives you what you want.
Because I really like the new gt, and hope that you will too..

azarel
05-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Have any of you ever had elbow problems with this racquet ?
New or old ? This new one is even stiffer.

shanker
05-19-2009, 06:28 PM
You guys need to get real. So, here's my POV -
Received my new GT PDR this week and strung it up after injecting silicone into the handle like I did with my others and replacing the grip with Babolat Leather.

The GT is the same composition of the previous frames - except that tungsten threads have been added to the graphite weave to help improve stability (try to think rebar in concrete) - you can actually see the threads in the upper portion of the hoop. I've noticed that while it ups the RA a point or two, it has improved feel, feedback, and stability of the frame. You get the same power as before, but it's a bit more controlled now. Also, static and SW are slightly higher.

The new frame is an incremental update to old reliable... I for one really like the Tungsten tweek and think that as this frame gets out there others will as well. you don't take a mainline frame and radically change it (that's what the other frames are for.... take the hoop of the PD and add the throad and handle of the PS, etc)... you make slight modifications to update it.

Additionally - while not affecting playability at all... the new PJ is really sweet, Babolat has done a great job with this frame.

I'm thinking of demoing one soon. If I do buy one, how much silicone did you add to the frame? Just curious.
Greg

andreev_forehand
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
maybe it would be great for you to actually know that I was commenting on you bagging the cortex and the pure drive,
just because O3 White is crap to you, doesnt mean other technology are crap.
You were commenting on the cortex being the same crap while never tried it.
I hope you like your demo, and the pure drive gives you what you want.
Because I really like the new gt, and hope that you will too..

Maybe it would be great if you had given any indication whatsoever as to which part of my post you were responding too, which you didn't so it was open to interpretation. As far as your concerned it was just as likely that I had owned a pure drive and concluded that the cortex was crap.

shanker
05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Hince why I inject silicone into the handle through the trap door. This results in a great feeling frame that gives NO arm pain - even using full poly at 63#'s like I now do.

Please, how much silicone? I'm curious about this technique. I might try it on a couple of old sticks I have just to check it out.

Help would be appreciated.

Greg

delphi17
05-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Maybe it would be great if you had given any indication whatsoever as to which part of my post you were responding too, which you didn't so it was open to interpretation. As far as your concerned it was just as likely that I had owned a pure drive and concluded that the cortex was crap.

As far as I am concerned it was just as likely that some one had owned a pure drive and said it was a sponge or whatever or a chunk of plastic in their racquet, actually owns one. Not!
No, its highly unlikely and as I said, enjoy the demo, and hope you like it.

makinao
05-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Bubba: I'm also interested in your silicone mod. In addition to how much, what kind of silicone did you inject, the white plasticy one, or the black rubbery type? I have the now-previous PD+C, and I put lead tape in the handle under the grip (as mentioned in this (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=245234) thead) and changed from poly to synthetic strings. I suspect the effect was similar, a comfortable but not dead feel.

BTW, the now-previous pure drives prices have been going down since January in my country (Philippines). They now cost under US$130.

andreev_forehand
05-19-2009, 10:47 PM
As far as I am concerned it was just as likely that some one had owned a pure drive and said it was a sponge or whatever or a chunk of plastic in their racquet, actually owns one. Not!
No, its highly unlikely and as I said, enjoy the demo, and hope you like it.

O.K. you stopped making sense a long time ago so I'm done.

delphi17
05-19-2009, 10:54 PM
O.K. you stopped making sense a long time ago so I'm done.

the fact is, there is a difference with cortex, and if you had used one, you would understand.
And instead of continue to be a troll, you at least took the initiative to at least demo the racquet, so koodos to you.
You never made any sense anyways , so I'm done too.