PDA

View Full Version : Roddick or Ivanisevic? Who was the better player and who had the greater career?

GameSampras
05-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Who do guys feel was the better player of the two? Who had the greater career? Both won a slam. I shouldnt talk like Roddick's career is over. But it appears his chances of winning a slam are probably over. Bearing an act of god

thalivest
05-10-2009, 06:00 PM
IMO Roddick is much better, or atleast much more consistent, on hard courts. Ivanisevic is better on every other surface. However since 2 of the 4 slams are played on hard courts that makes Roddick a real contender at 3 of the 4, and Ivanisevic only 1 of the 4 (other than the odd fluke run like the 96 U.S Open). So I am not really sure. Ivanisevic is by far the more talented player, but he is also a big underachiever. Roddick is a moderate talent who maximizes his limited potential.

veroniquem
05-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Roddick had a much better career. He won more tournaments, more masters and was #1. He is also more consistent as a top 8 player.

dincuss
05-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Like thalivest said, Ivanisevic was more talented, but roddick works very hard. Thats why hes hes better. Even though Ivanisevic has more slam finals, Roddick outdoes him in almost everything else.

Max G.
05-10-2009, 07:24 PM
It's close, but I think Roddick. They both have the same number of Slams (1). Roddick's career isn't over, but he already has more tournaments won, slightly, and more masters series events; however, that is less important than the fact that he's been to #1 and Ivanisevic never got there.

EtePras
05-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Both have better serves than the guy in your username, but Roddick>Ivanisevic overall. What did Ivanisevic have at Roddick's age?

GameSampras
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Both have better serves than the guy in your username, but Roddick>Ivanisevic overall. What did Ivanisevic have at Roddick's age?

LOL.... Laughable. Roddick? A better serve than Pete? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Truely laughable

mental midget
05-10-2009, 07:59 PM
somebody can dig up tournament wins, weeks in top 10, etc. Guessing by those metrics roddick is probably the more accomplished player.

having said that, goran is without doubt the more talented player. could play on any surface. also, he won the big w, and was i think in more slam finals. came very close to the number one ranking, in 1996 i think; roddick got there, so, another point for andy.

goran had the shoulder injury, but even more unfortunately, the permanent brain injury that followed him his entire career--he was the original marat safin.

roddick's serve is huge; goran's was . . . evil. definitely the all-time ace machine. i remember him having aces where the opponent was so far from making contact with the ball, it looked like he was serving in the deuce court, and they were returning in the ad, and vice-versa. he was fun to watch, erratic but talented off the ground, and at the net.

i guess you've got my answer.

thalivest
05-10-2009, 08:38 PM
LOL.... Laughable. Roddick? A better serve than Pete? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Truely laughable

Roddick's serve is extremely fast. However compared to Sampras, Ivanisevic, even Karlovic or Krajicek it isnt nearly as heavy, he cant place it on a dime the way those other 3 can, and it is much easier to read. An extremely heavy, perfectly placed, and unreadable serve is much harder to return than a fast serve into your opponents hitting zone time and time again as Roddick produces.

RCizzle65
05-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Ivanisevic can be argued....but Roddick? No way, it may be faster, but it isn't as heavy or extremely well placed.

Toxicmilk
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Ivanisevic can be argued....but Roddick? No way, it may be faster, but it isn't as heavy or extremely well placed.

OBJECTION! (sorry couldnt resist..your ava)

actually, i have none.
anyways, imo sampras>ivanisevic=Roddick. On serves..

Beacon Hill
05-10-2009, 10:43 PM
If Sampras had Ivo's serve, he may not have lost a set in his career.

380pistol
05-11-2009, 01:11 AM
I don't know. I'd say Goran. His Wimbledon career outshines Roddick's. Throw out Andy's 2 finals as who has he beaten at SW19?? Goran can claim an older Lendl, Edberg, Sampras 92, Becker, Krajicek, Rafter Henman, Safin and even young Roddick. Plus Goran has 3 finals and 2 more SF.

Roddcik gets the nod at the US Open for his title and final, and his 3 SF give him the nod in Melbourne. But Goran definitely wins the French, wher Roddick is attrocious (and on clay in general), yet Ivanisevic has 3 QF in Paris and has been in the finals of Rome (Courier) and Hamburg (Medvedev).

Carpet (and/or indoors), I like Goran. He won masters in bothe Stockholm and Paris, as well as 2 othe finals in Stockholm(Becker and Stich). He has also beaten Sampras, Edberg, Becker, Krajicek, Agassi, Chang and Courier.

Andy may be the more consistent, but Goran is the more talented and bigger threat. Overall achievements may favour Roddick slightly at this point, but I don't know how much wieght that holds seeing what Goran did his against.

Cenc
05-11-2009, 01:24 AM
ivanišević for sure
he did things roddick could just dream of
from defeating pistol pete at wimby, to winning TRUE wimby
to 3 more wimby finals
to few more slam semis
to world number 2 when it was much more difficult than now
and ivanišević had every single shot better than roddick (forehand was about the same ok)
dont even try to compare their serves, ivanišević had the best serve in the history of tennis (remember the guy who hit around 1200 aces every year)

Leublu tennis
05-11-2009, 01:42 AM
somebody can dig up tournament wins, weeks in top 10, etc. Guessing by those metrics roddick is probably the more accomplished player.

having said that, goran is without doubt the more talented player. could play on any surface. also, he won the big w, and was i think in more slam finals. came very close to the number one ranking, in 1996 i think; roddick got there, so, another point for andy.

goran had the shoulder injury, but even more unfortunately, the permanent brain injury that followed him his entire career--he was the original marat safin.

roddick's serve is huge; goran's was . . . evil. definitely the all-time ace machine. i remember him having aces where the opponent was so far from making contact with the ball, it looked like he was serving in the deuce court, and they were returning in the ad, and vice-versa. he was fun to watch, erratic but talented off the ground, and at the net.

i guess you've got my answer.Thanks for your comments. I might add that Ivanisevic faced players who would make a fool of Roddick. He has hung around for a long time and that seems to imply some form of accomplishment. But I don't think he will be here much longer.

DarkSephiroth
05-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Ivanisevic was the better player. (When he wanted to be)

Roddick has the greater career.

Zaragoza
05-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Roddick, it's not even a question to me. Ivanisevic is overrated.

stormholloway
05-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Like thalivest said, Ivanisevic was more talented, but roddick works very hard. Thats why hes hes better. Even though Ivanisevic has more slam finals, Roddick outdoes him in almost everything else.

Actually, they each had 4 slam singles finals, and Roddick's career is far from over.

clayman2000
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Roddick no question.
Dont get me wrong, i love Gorans perseverance, but Roddick is just too solid.

Firstly, Roddick has made the slam semis of 3 majors at least 3 times. Goran only made 1 USO semi.

Secondly Roddick ended a year no 1. Goran didnt.

3rdly Roddick 4 Masters to Gorans 2

4thly, Although both have a Davis Cup, Goran never played in his

Also remember that Goran won his slam at age 30. Now I know we are not comparing what Roddick will likely end up with, but more like what he has now, i would say if there is a player on todays game who could pull a Goran, Roddick would definitely be at the top of that list

TheRed
05-11-2009, 09:26 AM
ivanišević for sure
to 3 more wimby finals
to few more slam semis
and ivanišević had every single shot better than roddick (forehand was about the same ok)
dont even try to compare their serves, ivanišević had the best serve in the history of tennis (remember the guy who hit around 1200 aces every year)

I agree with everything except the forehand. Goran's fh was good but nothing special. you forget to mention that goran had a much better backhand. better volleys and imo, better movement. Also, imo, it's not even close when talking about serve. Roddick has an amazing serve, to be compared with the best but Goran had the most untouchable serve I'd ever seen. Roddick's serve is scary but Goran's just made you give up. Roddick has done lot's with his limited talent so career wise, it's hard to compare. But regarding talent, I'd have to go with Goran.

stormholloway
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Not even close regarding serve? I think it's pretty close. Roddick doesn't get enough credit for his serve, somehow.

Thor
05-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Not even close regarding serve? I think it's pretty close. Roddick doesn't get enough credit for his serve, somehow.

Ditto.
One of the best serves of the gane EVER.

Regarding Karlovic - Its more about his height than his serv motion.
I have a feeling that his serve in a 6"2 body would not be anywhere near as good.

helloworld
05-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Roddick's serve is good, but it ain't no Ivanisevic's serve, and it sure as hell ain't Sampras's serve!

helloworld
05-11-2009, 10:18 AM
What made Pete's serve the best by FAR is his SECOND serve, not his first serve.

clayman2000
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I agree with everything except the forehand. Goran's fh was good but nothing special. you forget to mention that goran had a much better backhand. better volleys and imo, better movement. Also, imo, it's not even close when talking about serve. Roddick has an amazing serve, to be compared with the best but Goran had the most untouchable serve I'd ever seen. Roddick's serve is scary but Goran's just made you give up. Roddick has done lot's with his limited talent so career wise, it's hard to compare. But regarding talent, I'd have to go with Goran.

Limited talent?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbSRRDQF7YQ&feature=related

I can show you more if you like?
Limited talent players dont get to number 1 in the world

helloworld
05-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Limited talent?

WOW! Old man Andre beating up prime Roddick!!! Thanks for sharing!! :lol:

Cenc
05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
WOW! Old man Andre beating up prime Roddick!!! Thanks for sharing!! :lol:

i hate u
i wanted to write the same thing but u were faster :P

haha exactly
the match where amazing roddick lost to 34 y-o aga
amazing... really unbelievable

Joseph L. Barrow
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Perhaps Ivanisevic had more potential, but surely Roddick is the better player overall. He has been #1, maintained a top 10 ranking far longer and more consistently, won more total titles and more big titles, has a better record in terms of having success across multiple Slams. Ivanisevic was basically only ever a threat at Wimbledon, never getting past the quarters at the Australian or the French and never even getting to the quarters at the US Open outside his one semifinal finish, while Roddick has won and made the final at the US Open, been a two-time finalist and one-time semifinalist, all thwarted by Federer, at Wimbledon, and been a four-time semifinalist at the Australian- in short, Roddick has been a legitimate perennial contender at three of the four Slams. Moreover, Roddick is still active and successful on a high level, will probably win at least a few more titles, and still has an outside shot at each of those three aforementioned Slams.

Fidelio
05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Ivanisevic : http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?query=Singles&year=0&player=I034&selTournament=GS&prevtrnnum=0

Roddick : http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?query=Singles&year=0&player=R485&selTournament=GS&prevtrnnum=0

Cenc
05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Ivanisevic : http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?query=Singles&year=0&player=I034&selTournament=GS&prevtrnnum=0

Roddick : http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?query=Singles&year=0&player=R485&selTournament=GS&prevtrnnum=0

it doesnt reflect their games
ivanišević was a much better player
roddick did more because he was world n1 in 2003
(quite bad season with schuettler and coria in top 10 though, right?)

GameSampras
05-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Roddick was Number 1 when? 2003? That year was a crapfest. Roger had yet to prime, Pete was retired, Andre was on his last legs etc. Did we forget Goran whooping on Roddick at Wimbeldon in 01. He couldnt even see Goran's serves

clayman2000
05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Roddick was Number 1 when? 2003? That year was a crapfest. Roger had yet to prime, Pete was retired, Andre was on his last legs etc. Did we forget Goran whooping on Roddick at Wimbeldon in 01. He couldnt even see Goran's serves

Roddick would have been 18 at that time when they played in 01, and had less than a year of pro experience

And in 2003 Federer was still amazing. Agassi had a great year, Pete had been gone from the top since 2000, Ferrero had an amazing year. That would be like saying that 01 and 02 were bad years becuase Sampras was old and wasnt consistent, and the new era had yet to form. In that case, 09 is a bad year becuase Federer suks, a quiter is in the top 4, as is a pusher.

Stop making excuses, finished a year number 1 is an amazing feat.

GameSampras
05-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Roddick would have been 18 at that time when they played in 01, and had less than a year of pro experience

And in 2003 Federer was still amazing. Agassi had a great year, Pete had been gone from the top since 2000, Ferrero had an amazing year. That would be like saying that 01 and 02 were bad years becuase Sampras was old and wasnt consistent, and the new era had yet to form. In that case, 09 is a bad year becuase Federer suks, a quiter is in the top 4, as is a pusher.

Stop making excuses, finished a year number 1 is an amazing feat.

Andre a great year in 03? He won the Australian Open beating some bum in the finals. What other slams did he grab or come close to grabbing? None. He got injured and was forced to withdraw from a crapload of tournaments in 03. Not to mention he was 33 freakin years old. He snatched the #1 ranking for like 4 months.

Andre's 2003 season wasnt all that great. Certainly not 1999 great. He spent most of the year injured. When youre injured for most of the year, I wouldnt call that a "great year."

tangerine
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Goran was a far more one-dimensional player than Roddick ever was.

dincuss
05-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Actually, they each had 4 slam singles finals, and Roddick's career is far from over.

Ohlol My bad :(

egn
05-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Andre a great year in 03? He won the Australian Open beating some bum in the finals. What other slams did he grab or come close to grabbing? None. He got injured and was forced to withdraw from a crapload of tournaments in 03. Not to mention he was 33 freakin years old. He snatched the #1 ranking for like 4 months.

Andre's 2003 season wasnt all that great. Certainly not 1999 great. He spent most of the year injured. When youre injured for most of the year, I wouldnt call that a "great year."

2003 was a good year for Andre but not great by any means. He definitely had moments of brilliance though. The 2003 AO he performed amazingly..although he did get a bit lucky. Andy did not make it there as Younes El Aynaoui played the best ever tennis of his life forcing Andy to go 21-19 in the last set..So Andy was well a tad bit eshausted but you must give Rainer credit he took down Nalby and Roddick in a row..but then Safin was suffering injuries that gave Rainer the chance probably to get the far. So it was a very confusing tournament as a whole as in the conditions Andre won but he beat the guy down 6-2, 6-2, 6-1...that was quite a feat for a "washed up" 33 year old. Washed up or not putting a 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 beatdown on someone in a slam final is a sign of a flash of brilliance. Andre was really playing great that season. It was around clay court season his performance started to fade and he could not grab titles or defend his master series, but when he was there he was playing strong. The slams he brought his best and same goes for the year end championships. Andre was no god that year but it was an overall good year for Andre and he was not playing like rubbish. It is an insult when you say he was falling off and off form he actually had some great matches. 2003 also had a few other really good players. Andre did make a US Open semifinal...

Your top 10 had Roddick, Agassi, Federer, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Coria two strong clay courters..Nalbandian who went on fire at the end of the year, Rainer Schuetller who had a really strong year that year as well with a bunch of deep runs in master series and that slam final..sure it was no huge depth but Roddick was not beating a bunch of garbage. I would say Roddick did quite a good job.

Overall I favor Roddick over Ivansievic though I think Ivanisevic had more talent Roddick just performed better overall. Ivanisevic was really a fast court player..thats about it. He had those few decent runs at France but nothing that makes you want to say hey Ivansievic is a really good clay court player. Roddick is worse than him on clay but than saying he is better than Roddick is not saying much as I would pick neither to well. Ivansievic was inconsistent at too many points in his career and that is why i favor Roddick more. Ivansievic had more talent in my opinion and a better game but Roddick did better. Though this is all up in the air..but I must admit this a really hard comparison and I might in a week want to change this answer.

Man great question. =]

jamesblakefan#1
05-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Roddick by a bit. Just a bit more consistency than Ivanisevic.

Kobble
05-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Goran is better on grass and clay

1st serve - Goran
2nd serve - Roddick
Forehand - Roddick
Backhand - Goran
Volley - Goran
Movement - Goran
Return of serve - Goran
Mental strength - Roddick

That is how I see it.

BorisBeckerFan
05-12-2009, 01:26 AM
This maybe sheer nonsense but despite Andy Roddick having the better career I see Goran Ivanišević as the better player. Not by a little but by a lot.

Cenc
05-12-2009, 02:06 AM

1st serve - Goran
2nd serve - Roddick
Forehand - Roddick
Backhand - Goran
Volley - Goran
Movement - Goran
Return of serve - Goran

That is how I see it.

how about carpet? goran won like 15 or so carpet titles, with sampras and becker he was the king of carpet
and roddick?

35ft6
05-12-2009, 02:35 AM
LOL.... Laughable. Roddick? A better serve than Pete? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Truely laughableI think the feeling at the time was when Goran's serve was on, it was the best in tennis. Pretty sure even Pete has said that. But day in and day out, Pete's serve was more consistently great. And his second serve was better than Goran's second.

tank
05-12-2009, 04:21 AM
how about carpet? goran won like 15 or so carpet titles, with sampras and becker he was the king of carpet
and roddick?

roddick played like 1 tournament a year on carpet........................and carpet is now banned from ATP. roddick had a better career - therefore he is the better player.

why is sampras the goat? - because he had a better career than everyone else. if prime goran played prime arod - roddick would win at least 9/10.
when goran won wimbledon in 2001, roddick wasn't that good, and he still managed to make it tight in the 3rd round. in 2003 roddick would just dominate him

and lets not forget - the only reason gorans serve was more effective than roddick's is because the surface at wimbledon back then suited the big servers. if roddick was around in the 90's then he might have dominated, you never know, at 18 he was able to beat sampras comfortably.

and all of this talk about talent too is getting on my nerves - what good is talent if you can't back it up with good results or hell even mental strength.

i give up on this forum

TheRed
05-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Limited talent?

Yes, Roddick has limited talent for someone of his achievements. He's got an above average forehand, average backhand, bad volleys, average movement, and a very good serve. In fact, his forehand's pretty overrated. Fact is, he get's alot out of the talent he has and rarely beats himself. Unlike many on his board, I like him. I appreciate his effort but I don't think he's uber talented.

navratilovafan
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM

1st serve - Goran
2nd serve - Roddick
Forehand - Roddick
Backhand - Goran
Volley - Goran
Movement - Goran
Return of serve - Goran

That is how I see it.

I agree.

1st serve - Goran
2nd serve - Roddick
Forehand - Roddick
Backhand - Goran
Volley - Goran
Movement - Goran
Return of serve - Goran

Looks right. As for surfaces:

Hard courts- Roddick
Clay- Goran
Grass- Goran
Carpet- Goran

So Goran clearly overall. He has many more pluses in the comparision than Roddick.

navratilovafan
05-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes, Roddick has limited talent for someone of his achievements. He's got an above average forehand, average backhand, bad volleys, average movement, and a very good serve. In fact, his forehand's pretty overrated. Fact is, he get's alot out of the talent he has and rarely beats himself. Unlike many on his board, I like him. I appreciate his effort but I don't think he's uber talented.

I agree with that. Roddick is a hard worker and an underrated competitor. His talent and potential were always far overrated in the American press. He is a moderate talent who overachieves through hard work and determination. He never was a great talent with alot of potential for true greatness.

navratilovafan
05-26-2009, 04:44 PM
As for the year end #1 in 2003 I wouldnt say it was a great field.

#2 Federer- wildly inconsistent, 0 Masters titles, no quarterfinals of slams outsides Wimbledon. Some horrible showings for his later standard all year- French 1 rd loss to Horna, 3 or 4 losses in a row to Nalbandian, loss to injured Kuerten on hard courts, big choke vs slumping Hewitt in Davis Cup. Yet despite all this still was only the tiniest margin in points behind Roddick at years end. Given his comprehensive wins over Roddick in Wimbledon final and year end Masters semis most agreed Federer was the best player in the World, not Roddick, at year end, despite the rankings. This despite Federer was at most only 50% what he would be from 2004-2007.

3. Ferrero- great clay court player. Other than a fluke U.S Open final was pretty much nothing on all other surfaces. Despite this was ranked #1 near the end of the year and could have easily been year end #1 over Roddick had he just played decently and won a couple matches at the year end Masters. Might have beaten Roddick in U.S Open final without some biased scheduling anyway.

4. Agassi- as already noted 33 years old. Won a slam title by with a joke draw, an aging Ferreira in the semis and Schuettler in the finals. Like Federer this year not even close to the player he was at his best. Still Roddick played him twice and choked away a set and break lead on the green clay of Houston, and barely beat Agassi on grass in Queens- having to save a match point I believe. Was also ranked #1 a good part of the year at 33.

Not sure who else. Nalbandian was his usual inconsistent self, his best tennis is better than Roddick's of course but he rarely brings it and even when he does he chokes the match away like the U.S Open semis. Safin and Hewitt were MIA this year. Safin was injured and had to miss the whole year, so it wasnt like 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 were he was atleast hanging around. Hewitt dropped out of the top 10 altogether this year, had an awful year, and given his dominance over Roddick even as late as 2004-2005 he probably would have been #1 over Roddick had he been in form this year. Even the 2004-2005 which wasnt that strong was alot stronger than 2003. Hewitt and Safin atleast returned, Federer became Federer, and Nalbandian became a little bit more consistent (still not enough of course), while a young Nadal emerged.

Datacipher
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
This maybe sheer nonsense but despite Andy Roddick having the better career I see Goran Ivanišević as the better player. Not by a little but by a lot.

No question about it. Goran was a much better athlete. Bigger, quicker, better feel and coordination. Andy is stronger, but that doesn't really compensate much.

As for career, Roddick takes it, and he deserved it. He's worked more consistently harder and been mentally tougher. He has been a much more consistent player.

In terms of who was the superior player at their best, it's no contest. Ivanisevic moved better, volleyed MUCH better, his groundies were on/off but at his best, just as powerful as Roddick off the forehand and far, far superior off the backhand. His return was also better. Andy's biggest weapon, his serve, is not in the same league as Goran's in terms of aces or damage done, even though he has slightly better speed. The disguise is where all the difference between them lies (Goran's lefty spin doesn't hurt either).

RoddickAce
05-26-2009, 06:07 PM

Andre won 2 slams in 1999, other than that he only won one slam a year max. Of his many years on tour, 2003 was a year where he was able to get 1 slam, matching his second best amount of slams in a year. So yes, it was a good year for him.

thalivest
05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Andre won 2 slams in 1999, other than that he only won one slam a year max. Of his many years on tour, 2003 was a year where he was able to get 1 slam, matching his second best amount of slams in a year. So yes, it was a good year for him.

and that year only won two since Sampras missed the U.S Open with a last minute injury. Otherwise he would have zero 2 slam years. GameSampras, Agassi was in the semis of the U.S Open, and at the French Open he lost in the quarters to the Worlds 2nd best clay courter at the time. I would say those are coming pretty close.

nfor304
05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Ivanisevic didnt make more slam finals, he played 4 wimbledon finals winning 1, while Roddick made 2 Wimbledon Finals and 2 Usopen Finals winning 1. Roddick has also had at least 3 other semi final appearances I can think of

380pistol
05-26-2009, 11:41 PM

What the hell are you on??? Roddick's serve better than Sampras. Leave Tina alone!!!!!!!

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Roddick, IMO quite easily aswell.

Rhino
05-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Ivanisevic, no contest. Roddick was just VERY lucky in 2003 that Sampras was finished and Federer hadn't quite become super-Fed until '04.

thalivest
05-27-2009, 12:23 AM
What the hell are you on??? Roddick's serve better than Sampras. Leave Tina alone!!!!!!!

It is hard to think of any area of the game Roddick is as good or better than Sampras in. In fact I am pretty sure there isnt one.

Compared to Federer the only area you could even debate is the serve. Everything else is Federer no brainer.

Against Nadal, Roddick takes the serve, Nadal easily takes him everywhere else.

Against Ivanisevic, good Ivanisevic takes everything, maybe a toss up on the forehand. Bad Ivanisevic, well alot of people can compare favorably then, but good Ivanisevic is much better than good Roddick.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-27-2009, 12:27 AM
It is hard to think of any area of the game Roddick is as good or better than Sampras in. In fact I am pretty sure there isnt one.

Compared to Federer the only area you could even debate is the serve. Everything else is Federer no brainer.

Against Nadal, Roddick takes the serve, Nadal easily takes him everywhere else.

Against Ivanisevic, good Ivanisevic takes everything, maybe a toss up on the forehand. Bad Ivanisevic, well alot of people can compare favorably then, but good Ivanisevic is much better than good Roddick. What?!?!?!?!? Have you forgotten his amazing volleys? McEnroe who?

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-27-2009, 01:30 AM
ivanisevic is techincally a better player than roddick, i admit.
roddick had the better career.

so in theory, sampras or federer might not be the best ever, they've just had the best careers

Cenc
05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Roddick, IMO quite easily aswell.

let me ask you: who is a better player sampras or simon? seriously
looking at ur posts it seems that all todays players are better than players from 90s

Bhagi Katbamna
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Goran. He was able to win the ultimate tennis tournament.

jamesblakefan#1
02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
No brainer, it is Roddick.

Career Record
Roddick: 567–183 (75.60%)
Ivanisevic: 599–333 (64.3%)

Career Titles
Roddick: 30
Ivanisevic: 22

Career High
Roddick: #1
Ivanisevic: #2

Slam Results
Roddick
Australian Open SF (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009)
French Open 4R (2009)
Wimbledon F (2004, 2005, 2009)
US Open W (2003)

Ivanisevic
Australian Open QF (1989, 1994, 1997)
French Open QF (1990, 1992, 1994)
Wimbledon W (2001)
US Open SF (1996)

The capper? Roddick's longevity and consistency, 11 straight years w/ at least one title and 9 straight years finished in the top 10.

Xemi666
02-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Roddick, the stats are clear.

Xemi666
02-22-2011, 08:51 AM
ivanišević for sure
to 3 more wimby finals
to few more slam semis

Laughable, yeah it was so easy to be #2 in this era, you only had to be better than those hacks Federer and Nadal :rolleyes:

fed_rulz
02-22-2011, 08:55 AM
the number of banned posters in this thread is amazing :)

i wait for some clowns to hype and glorify the past and make excuses for why Ivanisevic is better than Roddick.

Andres
02-22-2011, 09:00 AM
I personally think Goran was the better player, yet Roddick had the greater career and the stats back it up.

Xemi666
02-22-2011, 09:03 AM
It boggles my mind how Ivanisevic made 3 RG QFs in a so called "strong clay era".

dominikk1985
02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
roddick easily.

Goran was all serve, while roddick at least has a decent FH.

onyxrose81
02-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Career Record

Career Titles

Career High

Slam Results
Roddick
French Open 4R (2009)
US Open W (2003)

Ivanisevic
Wimbledon W (2001)
US Open SF (1996)

The capper? Roddick's longevity and consistency, 11 straight years w/ at least one title and 9 straight years finished in the top 10.

Thank you. Finally some sense. While I think Goran was the better player (and I'm an Andy fan), Andy has had the better career by far. I don't see how anyone could dispute that.

flyinghippos101
02-22-2011, 09:36 AM
the number of banned posters in this thread is amazing :)

i wait for some clowns to hype and glorify the past and make excuses for why Ivanisevic is better than Roddick.

Ancient relics from another era, this was the true era of trolls on TT

NadalAgassi
02-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Better player? Ivanisevic

Better career? Roddick

Ivanisevic is better than Roddick on grass, carpet, or clay. Roddick is only better on hard courts. Ivanisevic also had a superior serve, much superior service return, superior overall ground game, was more athletic, and obviously superior volleys. Roddick is mentally much tougher, more consistent, and more determined for success.

Pioneer
02-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Ivanisevic won the Mecca of tennis.

Roddick didn't.

*warning: political incorrectness coming up*

Saying Roddick is better than Ivanisevic is like saying an average Muslim who has never gone to Mecca is better than an average Muslim who has.

junk
02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Roddick no doubt

aphex
02-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Ivanisevic won the Mecca of tennis.

Roddick didn't.

*warning: political incorrectness coming up*

Saying Roddick is better than Ivanisevic is like saying an average Muslim who has never gone to Mecca is better than an average Muslim who has.

Laughable...Ivanisevic would have an Isner career if he played now.

Andres
02-22-2011, 10:24 AM
roddick easily.

That shows you haven't seen Goran play at all. Or maybe you're confusing him with Wayne Arthurs, I don't know.

The-Champ
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Ridiculous!

Being a muslim has nothing to do with how many times you visit Mecca. What about the dirt poor Indonesian Muslim who can't afford to go Mecca?

TMF
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Roddick > Ivanisevic

President
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Better player? Ivanisevic

Better career? Roddick

Ivanisevic is better than Roddick on grass, carpet, or clay. Roddick is only better on hard courts. Ivanisevic also had a superior serve, much superior service return, superior overall ground game, was more athletic, and obviously superior volleys. Roddick is mentally much tougher, more consistent, and more determined for success.

Superior serve is debatable; Roddick has arguably more mph on average and is more consistent with it, whereas Ivanisevic had the potential to be unstoppable on serve but could also be a lot worse than Roddick. They are probably the 2 best serves of all time (excepting Karlovic of course), so not much room between them here.

Return, I will say Ivanisevic is better but Roddick is not as awful as you make him seem.

Superior ground game? Roddick looks terrible off the ground when he plays against Federer, Soderling, Nadal, ect, but how do you think Ivanisevic would look in his position? He would be absolutely destroyed on the ground today. Roddick's ground game is still good enough to stay in the top 10, even if he does get outplayed by most of the guys in the top 20.

I definitely think Roddick would win more slams than Ivanisevic if they played in the same era.

Pioneer
02-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Ivanisevic > Roddick

Are you guys out of your mind? Sure Roddick will beat Ivanisevic if they played now because every new generation is better than the old one (the more the sport is played the more people realize the efficient way to play it).

But Ivanisevic was a legend. From the racquet smashing to the pony tail. The guy was literally hitting aces at will. He was screwing with the game. 4 double faults in one game, then 4 aces in the next.

junk
02-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Roddick:
5 grand slam finals on two different surfaces
1 slam win

9 masters finals
5 masters wins

30 total ATP titles (and counting)

highest ranking - world no. 1

Roddick maintained year-end top-ten ATP ranking from 2002 through 2010 - 9 years in a row (and counting)

Davis cup winner

Ivanisevic:
4 slam finals (all on one surface)
1 slam win

7 masters finals
2 masters wins

total 22 ATP titles

highest ranking - world no. 2

Roddick wins hands down. The thread is closed

junk
02-22-2011, 02:59 PM
sorry for repeating most of the stats twice - no logic would put Ivanisevic above Roddick

Career Record

Career Titles

Career High

Slam Results
Roddick
French Open 4R (2009)
US Open W (2003)

Ivanisevic
Wimbledon W (2001)
US Open SF (1996)

PSNELKE
02-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Laughable...that you compare those 2 era´s.

Different playing style, strings, etc, etc.

Cenc
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Laughable, yeah it was so easy to be #2 in this era, you only had to be better than those hacks Federer and Nadal :rolleyes:

says the guy with nadals picture on his profile

btw, yes now in order to be n2, player needs to be better than djokovic, murray and 30 year old fed

in order to be n2 guy needed to be better than:
agassi, becker, edberg, muster, bruguera, stich, chang, courier, kafelnikov
and few other not so bad players such as berasategui, martin,...

and seriously, guys like soderling are not on the same level as becker or courier......

the only thing really better now than then is the technology

and btw why do all of u fed/nad fans get sooo upset one someone disagrees with u? i dont think its good to lose nerves so easily on an internet forum...

THUNDERVOLLEY
02-22-2011, 03:29 PM
That shows you haven't seen Goran play at all. Or maybe you're confusing him with Wayne Arthurs, I don't know.

That is what i was thinking. for anyone to say:

roddick easily.

...did not see the man play throughout his career.

Xemi666
02-22-2011, 03:50 PM

btw, yes now in order to be n2, player needs to be better than djokovic, murray and 30 year old fed

and seriously, guys like soderling are not on the same level as becker or courier......

the only thing really better now than then is the technology

and btw why do all of u fed/nad fans get sooo upset one someone disagrees with u? i dont think its good to lose nerves so easily on an internet forum...

Yeah, we all know The career's of Becker, Edberg, Courier and Agassi interwined perfectly :lol: Go sell that **** somewhere else because we ain't buying it.

sorry for repeating most of the stats twice - no logic would put Ivanisevic above Roddick

You're wrong: nostalgiatard logic does put Ivanisevic above Roddick even though all the facts point towards the contrary :)

jamesblakefan#1
02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
That is what i was thinking. for anyone to say:...did not see the man play throughout his career.

Just like you claiming Roddick is 'all serve', right?

kishnabe
02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Serve= Ivansevic....In terms of suprise, pace, variety and placement....Ivansevic outclasses Roddick in most of the areas

Forehand= Roddick....even though Ivansevic had an allright forehand

Backhand= Ivansevic...but not by a big margin

Volleys= Ivansevic....He had to deal with great volleyers and had to develop it in order to do well in the latter part of his career! Had a terrible volley in the beginning! Roddick has improved but is still far behind Ivan!

Movement= Roddick....He has done more fitness to stay a good mover but average in today's game!

Mentality= Roddick....He fights hard even though he is sometimes not mentally strong....too much ruckus against umpires at least Ivansevic was more entertaining.

Career= 100 percent Roddick...even through they both have one slam....Roddick was the most consistent performer reaching 2 US open finals and winning one! Got to 3 Wimbledon finals and reached 4 australian open semis! Goran just has 1 Wimbledon title out of 4 tries plus 2 semis and has a US open semi! Roddick has been in further quarterfinals.

Humour= Even....both entertaining loser speaches, mockery of other players, and press conferences!

staxor
02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Lots of factors to consider:

Roddick has had a more successful career for a few reasons:
He hasn't had a major shoulder injury.
He didn't come from a country in political unrest (Goran in an interview around 2002 said that Croatia's independence weighed heavily on his mind in every game he played).
He didn't have a temper.
He didn't play in an era dominated by a firmly established generation of GOATs (Roddick came in just after Sampras, and before Federer to get #1, Hewitt was his only competition, and Safin too, when he wasn't injured, or doing other random sh*t).
He's stayed longer as top 10, and got the #1 ranking.

Goran was a better player. He did well on all surfaces, had a better serve, better volley game, and better backhand than Roddick; their forehands are on par.
Goran won Wimbledon, had more finals, and more semis than Roddick.
Goran defeated GOATs, and most of them were tight matches, some of them not, usually because of his temper.
Goran is the 1st serve and ace GOAT.

BLACKOUT
02-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Goran had more ability, Roddick has achieved more

aphex
02-23-2011, 12:15 AM

LMAO...you include grandpas becker&edberg? how desperate...

Sid_Vicious
02-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Ivanisevic > Roddick

Are you guys out of your mind? Sure Roddick will beat Ivanisevic if they played now because every new generation is better than the old one (the more the sport is played the more people realize the efficient way to play it).

But Ivanisevic was a legend. From the racquet smashing to the pony tail. The guy was literally hitting aces at will. He was screwing with the game. 4 double faults in one game, then 4 aces in the next.
So? That does not really show us that he was a greater tennis player. Ernests Gulbis hits an impossible-kodak-moment winner one minute and the next minute he hits everything 5 feet out. Is he more of legend than Roddick too?

Also, I would argue that Roddick is a legend of press conferences. :)

aphex
02-23-2011, 12:45 AM
So? That does not really show us that he was a greater tennis player. Ernests Gulbis hits an impossible-kodak-moment winner one minute and the next minute he hits everything 5 feet out. Is he more of legend than Roddick too?

Also, I would argue that Roddick is a legend of press conferences. :)

Don't worry...these guys remember tennis in highlight reels...

Apparently they've forgotten Goran getting spanked by nobodies left, right and center...

Sid_Vicious
02-23-2011, 12:46 AM
I do not find the "more talent"/"more ability/better player" comments to be cogent. It seems like a cop-out answer to rob Roddick of all credit for having a better career than Ivanisevic.

"Yeah Roddick has a better career, but Goran was a better player!".

So? In Roddick's case, we have objective career statistics, but in Goran's case we have nothing but subjective opinions.

Trying to bump Goran to equal or greater heights than Roddick is tantamount to believing that a genius who sits at home and smokes pot should be given a PhD in math just because we knew he was a genius and good at math.

Sid_Vicious
02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Don't worry...these guys remember tennis in highlight reels...

Apparently they've forgotten Goran getting spanked by nobodies left, right and center...
Ironic, right? I believe a few of such posters criticize other people for learning tennis through youtube.

THUNDERVOLLEY
02-23-2011, 03:18 AM
Just like you claiming Roddick is 'all serve', right?

You were the one who singled out his serve as a weapon to defend him, then backpedaled to add his FH, as seen in the other Roddick thread.

Oops.

Xemi666
02-23-2011, 03:41 AM
You were the one who singled out his serve as a weapon to defend him, then backpedaled to add his FH, as seen in the other Roddick thread.

Oops.

Heh, are you stupid or just being obnoxious?

TMF
02-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Heh, are you stupid or just being obnoxious?

The guy is so damn annoying. He does that to everyone.

dominikk1985
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Lots of factors to consider:

Roddick has had a more successful career for a few reasons:
He hasn't had a major shoulder injury.
He didn't come from a country in political unrest (Goran in an interview around 2002 said that Croatia's independence weighed heavily on his mind in every game he played).
He didn't have a temper.
He didn't play in an era dominated by a firmly established generation of GOATs (Roddick came in just after Sampras, and before Federer to get #1, Hewitt was his only competition, and Safin too, when he wasn't injured, or doing other random sh*t).
He's stayed longer as top 10, and got the #1 ranking.

Goran was a better player. He did well on all surfaces, had a better serve, better volley game, and better backhand than Roddick; their forehands are on par.
Goran won Wimbledon, had more finals, and more semis than Roddick.
Goran defeated GOATs, and most of them were tight matches, some of them not, usually because of his temper.
Goran is the 1st serve and ace GOAT.

this is the only thing that goran has going for him.

roddick usually bent over for roger.
goran at least tried and sometimes beat superior players.

Overall still roddick has done a lot more. Goran might have higher heights, but he also lost to bad players when he had an off day.

sampras said tennis is about still winning when you have a bad day. those "it's not my day" days are what is killing you in the rankings.

Roddick always plays the same and doesn't have off days. He fulfilled his potential very good, something goran did not always do. roddick usually wins when he is supposed to win and looses when he is supposed to loose. goran on the other hand sometimes won when he was supposed to loose, but also often lost when he should have won.
He of course had also more injury problems.

For his career I take roddick easily.

okdude1992
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
wow roddick gets no love on these boards. at least he and chang are comparable. but roddick has had a much better career than goran ever did. his accomplishments are clearly superior.

Pioneer
02-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Laughable, Ivanisevic would be raping everybody at Wimbledon because:

1) Best serve ever
2) Nadal "Slice-backhand-return-of-serve-with-ballet-pivot-at-the-end" would just return sitters for Ivanisevic's volleys

2ndServe
02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
if you had to choose Ivanisevic or Roddick at the slam final of aus, french, Wimb, US who would you choose? I'd take Ivanisevic in every one of them.

President
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
For you guys saying that Goran was the "better player", but didn't achieve as much because of mental midgetry, tell me then why this argument is flawed: Marat Safin and David Nalbandian are "better players" at their best than Jim Courier (much better backhand, better serve (Safin), movement, volleys, touch, power( Safin) ect), but just couldn't achieve as much as him because they were mentally weak.

I know that's a weak argument, and for the same reason Ivanisevic is the lesser player and had a weaker career.

jamesblakefan#1
02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
if you had to choose Ivanisevic or Roddick at the slam final of aus, french, Wimb, US who would you choose? I'd take Ivanisevic in every one of them.

LOL. Aussie and USO are clearly Roddick, RG goes to Ivanisevic but neither is a great clay courter so that really doesn't matter. Wimbledon is a toss up, but it's impossible to say how Roddick could have fared on faster courts. I believe Roddick during the 90s would have had his chances at Wimbledon. In any case, it's certainly not Ivanisevic at all 4 of them and at worse split down the middle.

Xemi666
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
The guy is so damn annoying. He does that to everyone.

Good to know, so I can put him on the list of users I don't take seriously :twisted:

Sid_Vicious
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Good to know, so I can put him on the list of users I don't take seriously :twisted:
He is a smart guy. I might not agree with him on some issues, but it is obvious to me that he knows his tennis.

gsquicksilver
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
talent wise, i'd say ivanisevic was more talented, but mentally, roddick is stronger.

roddick sticks it out while ivanisevic would just fold.

IvanisevicServe
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Every match Goran played was on his racket. You really had no say in it unless he gave you an opening. Fortunately for his opponents, he often did.

I think one of the most telling things is Goran was almost never broken in the first set of a match. If you were going to get the first set from him, you'd have to take it to a tiebreak and beat him there. Fresh Goran is going to come out and hold serve like it's breathing to him.

But if you dug in, you would get an opening eventually...and that's when there was high meltdown potential.

With Roddick, the great returners can take him out from the beginning if they're reading his serve well. Just block it back and then expose his horrible net game with passing shots. But there aren't that many returners who are up to that challenge...most of the tour has been overwhelmed by the sheer power of Roddick's serve. They get intimidated and don't make an inroads.

As far as the breakdown:

Serve: Good-Goran

Volley: Goran

Forehand: Goran. Goran's FH was extremely underrated...he had the accuracy, he had the power...he just didn't have the footwork to make it truly an elite shot. Roddick in 04 and prior might get the edge, but certainly not ever since.

Backhand: Roddick. Roddick's two hander is solid...it's not pretty to watch, but it's stable and he can stay in rallies a long time with it. Goran's was the most erratic part of his game. It could be brilliant...but it was also often terrible. He once likened it to his golf game..."I never know where the ball go."

Movement: Goran by a landslide. Roddick's court coverage was always a liability, though he certainly improved it with Stefanki. Goran was a rare athlete for his size...maybe not quite Cilic-like, but he could run.

Return: Goran. Goran had the long reach and could find a way, even against some of the biggest serves ever. Roddick's return game has always been another major weakness of his.

Mental Strength: Roddick. He keeps coming. Goran keeps breaking rackets and tearing his shirt. LOL.

Xemi666
02-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Every match Goran played was on his racket. You really had no say in it unless he gave you an opening. Fortunately for his opponents, he often did.

Right :rolleyes:

AndyArodRoddick
02-24-2011, 03:25 AM

I think one of the most telling things is Goran was almost never broken in the first set of a match. If you were going to get the first set from him, you'd have to take it to a tiebreak and beat him there. Fresh Goran is going to come out and hold serve like it's breathing to him.

But if you dug in, you would get an opening eventually...and that's when there was high meltdown potential.

With Roddick, the great returners can take him out from the beginning if they're reading his serve well. Just block it back and then expose his horrible net game with passing shots. But there aren't that many returners who are up to that challenge...most of the tour has been overwhelmed by the sheer power of Roddick's serve. They get intimidated and don't make an inroads.

As far as the breakdown:

Serve: Good-Goran

Volley: Goran

Forehand: Goran. Goran's FH was extremely underrated...he had the accuracy, he had the power...he just didn't have the footwork to make it truly an elite shot. Roddick in 04 and prior might get the edge, but certainly not ever since.

Backhand: Roddick. Roddick's two hander is solid...it's not pretty to watch, but it's stable and he can stay in rallies a long time with it. Goran's was the most erratic part of his game. It could be brilliant...but it was also often terrible. He once likened it to his golf game..."I never know where the ball go."

Movement: Goran by a landslide. Roddick's court coverage was always a liability, though he certainly improved it with Stefanki. Goran was a rare athlete for his size...maybe not quite Cilic-like, but he could run.

Return: Goran. Goran had the long reach and could find a way, even against some of the biggest serves ever. Roddick's return game has always been another major weakness of his.

Mental Strength: Roddick. He keeps coming. Goran keeps breaking rackets and tearing his shirt. LOL.

Very objective.

aphex
02-24-2011, 03:26 AM
Every match Goran played was on his racket.

He should've got a better racket.

aphex
02-24-2011, 03:28 AM

1) Best serve ever
2) Nadal "Slice-backhand-return-of-serve-with-ballet-pivot-at-the-end" would just return sitters for Ivanisevic's volleys

1. Karlovic has a better serve.
2. Clearly you haven't watched Wimbledon for the past 10 years.

aphex
02-24-2011, 03:30 AM

Hopefully your job has nothing to do with making decisions.

NadalAgassi
02-24-2011, 04:37 AM

So every match he played against Sampras, every match he played on clay, every match he played against Agassi on a hard court, every match he played as an up and comer against Becker and Edberg, all were on his racquet. Laughable.

So Goran gets the forehand, yet Roddick gets the backhand somehow. Somehow possible even though Roddicks forehand is by far his own better side (even not hitting it like he can) and Gorans better side is clearly the backhand. Yeah that makes sense.

And btw Goran did not have the best serve ever. He didnt even have the best serve of his own era- Sampras did. Strangely enough he still might have the 2nd best serve of all time behind Sampras.

PSNELKE
02-24-2011, 06:30 AM
So every match he played against Sampras, every match he played on clay, every match he played against Agassi on a hard court, every match he played as an up and comer against Becker and Edberg, all were on his racquet. Laughable.

So Goran gets the forehand, yet Roddick gets the backhand somehow. Somehow possible even though Roddicks forehand is by far his own better side (even not hitting it like he can) and Gorans better side is clearly the backhand. Yeah that makes sense.

And btw Goran did not have the best serve ever. He didnt even have the best serve of his own era- Sampras did. Strangely enough he still might have the 2nd best serve of all time behind Sampras.

Agree with everything but the last part.
No way, Sampras had a better serve than Goran.
Also disagree with aphex, Goran had even a better serve than Karlovic.
IMO Goran´s serve is the best of all time.

Fiji
02-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Andy Roddick.

aphex
02-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Agree with everything but the last part.
No way, Sampras had a better serve than Goran.
Also disagree with aphex, Goran had even a better serve than Karlovic.
IMO Goran´s serve is the best of all time.

Really?
Consider the fact that Karlovic has the worst ground game in the history of professional tennis.

Also consider the massively slowed down surfaces compared to the 90s.

Finally, consider the quality of returners today compared to the 90s.

And still Karlovic is almost unbreakable. My guess is that despite all these factors, he has a similar or better hold percentage than Goran, which clearly indicates he has the better serve.

PSNELKE
02-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Really?
Consider the fact that Karlovic has the worst ground game in the history of professional tennis.

Also consider the massively slowed down surfaces compared to the 90s.

Finally, consider the quality of returners today compared to the 90s.

And still Karlovic is almost unbreakable. My guess is that despite all these factors, he has a similar or better hold percentage than Goran, which clearly indicates he has the better serve.

definately agree with the first part.

Somehow I still think Goran has the best serve ever.
I meen Karlovic benefits even more of his height than Goran of the faster courts back then.

aphex
02-24-2011, 06:49 AM
definately agree with the first part.

Somehow I still think Goran has the best serve ever.
I meen Karlovic benefits even more of his height than Goran of the faster courts back then.

What do you mean? there is no short-version Karlovic and tall-version Karlovic. Karlovic is Karlovic.

There are however slow and fast courts...

PSNELKE
02-24-2011, 06:52 AM
What do you mean? there is no short-version Karlovic and tall-version Karlovic. Karlovic is Karlovic.

There are however slow and fast courts...

I know mate, I´m just saying Karlovic´s height is a major factor to his great serve.
Ivanisevic was a midget compared to karlovic but still managed to place his serve as great as Dr. Ivo.

aphex
02-24-2011, 06:54 AM
I know mate, I´m just saying Karlovic´s height is a major factor to his great serve.
Ivanisevic was a midget compared to karlovic but still managed to place his serve as great as Dr. Ivo.

Then let's give the award to Rochus because he has a very good serve even though he's 165cm. Let's imagine him being Karlovic's height...

PSNELKE
02-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Then let's give the award to Rochus because he has a very good serve even though he's 165cm. Let's imagine him being Karlovic's height...

Right, he would be between the best servers of all time.

MARTINBALDRIDGE
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
If I had to put my money on it my head would say Roddick but my heart Goran.

That Wimbledon final against Rafter spread over 3 days (I think) was one of the most exciting ever.

From a Europeans perspective thats the match I tend to remember - more interesting than Roddick's win vs .

The thing is though Roddick's still playing and he's a great credit to the US.

But Goran who is obviously totally mad was more interesting than Andy.

Roddick though, had the best career

Pioneer
02-24-2011, 10:13 AM
We don't care about your opinion really so you can drop the personal attacks

Hopefully your job has nothing to do with making decisions.

aphex
02-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Who's "we"? You have a turd in your pocket?

fed_rulz
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM

actually, no one really cares about another's opinion, so you can quit advising him.

fed_rulz
02-24-2011, 11:02 AM

1) Best serve ever

I agree with you. Here's are some of Ivanisevic's "raping" incidents on ultra-slick grass:

2000 Wimb: R128 : Vs. Arnaud Clement : L 3-6, 6-3, 3-6, 4-6
1999 Wimb: R16 : Vs. Todd Martin : L 6-7(3), 3-6, 4-6
1997 Wimb: R64 : Vs. Magnus Norman : L 3-6, 6-2, 6-7(4), 6-4, 12-14
1996 Wimb: QF : Vs. Jason Stoltenberg : L 3-6, 6-7(3), 7-6(3), 6-7(3)
1993 Wimb: R32 : Vs. Todd Martin : L 6-2, 6-7(3), 7-6(4), 5-7, 0-6 (ouch, that's some violent molestation by the best server ever ..)
1991 Wimb: R64 : Vs. Nick Nobody Brown: L 6-4, 3-6, 6-7(3), 3-6

PSNELKE
02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree with you. Here's are some of Ivanisevic's "raping" incidents on ultra-slick grass:

1993 Wimb: R32 : Vs. Todd Martin : L 6-2, 6-7(3), 7-6(4), 5-7, 0-6 (ouch, that's some violent molestation by the best server ever ..)

It´s not like we all don´t know that he just gave up when he was about to loose.
The only thing I hated about Goran.

fed_rulz
02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
It´s not like we all don´t know that he just gave up when he was about to loose.
The only thing I hated about Goran.

Does that count as r-a-ping too? because Pioneer thinks that Ivanisevic would do that today. Obviously, if he can do it today on slower, higher bouncing grass, he must've done it in the 90s too...

PSNELKE
02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Does that count as r-a-ping too? because Pioneer thinks that Ivanisevic would do that today. Obviously, if he can do it today on slower, higher bouncing grass, he must've done it in the 90s too...

Seriously dude, what the hell do you want to proove.
did i disagree with you?

aphex
02-24-2011, 11:19 AM

LoLoL...who the f is Nick Brown lol?

PSNELKE
02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
LoLoL...who the f is Nick Brown lol?

Some british mug, i guess.

aphex
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Some british mug, i guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Brown_%28tennis%29

He was ranked 591 when he beat Ivanisevic on fast grass.

But, as people said, Goran would destroy everyone at W today. LMAO.

fed_rulz
02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Seriously dude, what the hell do you want to proove.
did i disagree with you?

sorry, i don't know what you're talking about. your previous post was on a tangent, so I added some context to it, with respect to Pioneer's post that I was responding to.

fed_rulz
02-24-2011, 11:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Brown_%28tennis%29

He was ranked 591 when he beat Ivanisevic on fast grass.

But, as people said, Goran would destroy everyone at W today. LMAO.

gotta love the nostalgia-*****....

Mustard
02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
gotta love the nostalgia-*****....

LOL. What? Are you serious? :lol:

Nick Brown beating Goran Ivanisevic at 1991 Wimbledon is one of the biggest upsets of all time, with the world number 591 beating the world number 10 and previous year's Wimbledon semi finalist. It's well known that Goran was the type of player who could lose to anyone on some days, and 1991 wasn't exactly the dryest Wimbledon. Goran also sometimes tanked a set if he lost a crucial point or set.

LOL at those bringing up these things as examples, especially when Roddick has also had some losses in slams that he should never have had, himself.

Mustard
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM

I think Goran Ivanisevic had the best first serve of all time, when on, while his second serve was very volatile. Pete Sampras had the best second serve of all time, and also had one of the best first serves of all time.

fed_rulz
02-24-2011, 12:43 PM
LOL. What? Are you serious? :lol:

Nick Brown beating Goran Ivanisevic at 1991 Wimbledon is one of the biggest upsets of all time, with the world number 591 beating the world number 10 and previous year's Wimbledon semi finalist. It's well known that Goran was the type of player who could lose to anyone on some days, and 1991 wasn't exactly the dryest Wimbledon. Goran also sometimes tanked a set if he lost a crucial point or set.

LOL at those bringing up these things as examples, especially when Roddick has also had some losses in slams that he should never have had, himself.

way to take things out of context. i'm not citing the nick brown match, per se. i was referring to the goran would "****" everyone at wimbledon today comment. anyways, you're only making more excuses for Goran.

And as for your last comment, no one claimed Roddick would be doing upspeakable acts to everyone if he played in the 90s.

Mustard
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM
way to take things out of context. i'm not citing the nick brown match, per se. i was referring to the goran would "****" everyone at wimbledon today comment. anyways, you're only making more excuses for Goran.

Goran Ivanisevic could beat anyone and lose to anyone. That's the kind of player he was, very unpredictable, which made him so entertaining to watch. A bit like Marat Safin personality wise, though their gamestyles differed somewhat.

And as for your last comment, no one claimed Roddick would be doing upspeakable acts to everyone if he played in the 90s.

Roddick tries hard most of the time, unless he's getting wound up with himself over some petty linecall or incident, in which case he self-destructs while muttering to himself. Goran did the latter on a regular basis if things went wrong in a match. On the other hand, when focused, Goran's game was better than Roddick's by some way IMO. Goran has reached multiple masters finals on clay-courts. I can't see Roddick doing this, somehow.

IvanisevicServe
02-24-2011, 06:16 PM

Sampras couldn't return Goran's serve. Goran could return his, though. That's ultimately what it comes down to in tennis...especially on fast surfaces. If Goran is getting first serves in, you can forget about it. Agassi couldn't return Goran's serve if it was going in.

You have a point about clay.

Anyone who thinks Roddick's better side is his forehand NOW is a complete idiot. It's absolutely laughable. This "Roddick has a weak BH" crap hasn't gone away despite the fact that it hasn't even been remotely true for about 5 years now.

And no, Goran's backhand was most certainly NOT his better wing. Goran himself would laugh hysterically at that analysis.

Only in that Sampras didn't double fault as much. That was the only advantage. A Goran first serve that goes in is the greatest serve in history.

BrooklynNY
02-24-2011, 08:44 PM
People and players have long said that Pete Sampras' serve was not only the fastest but it was the heaviest, and he was able to hit any serve and any spot from the same toss ---He disguises his serve better than anyone, Federer is also good at this.

Not to take anything away from Goran, I really like him a lot, I just think he had more of an Isner/Karlovic type of advantage to his serve with the height, but it is obviously among the best.

President
02-24-2011, 08:49 PM
People and players have long said that Pete Sampras' serve was not only the fastest

Sampras' serve was definitely not the fastest. Even taking into account the differing radar tech, I'd bet good servers like Berdych, Soderling (to take examples from today) serve faster than him. Guys like Ivanisevic and Roddick definitely did for sure also.

What made Sampras' serve so good was his placement, spin, and disguise as you said.

BrooklynNY
02-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, good call actually, sorry, I guess I'm going to edit out fastest.

But yeah, the other stuff stands ;)

Whatever, I'll leave that, and just edit this, haha.

jamesblakefan#1
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Roddick tries hard most of the time, unless he's getting wound up with himself over some petty linecall or incident, in which case he self-destructs while muttering to himself. Goran did the latter on a regular basis if things went wrong in a match. On the other hand, when focused, Goran's game was better than Roddick's by some way IMO. Goran has reached multiple masters finals on clay-courts. I can't see Roddick doing this, somehow.

And Roddick has made multiple finals at the USO (won 1), the Toronto-Cincy double, consecutive Wimbledon finals, etc. All of which Goran didn't.

You need to pick a side. If you want to say Goran was the better player talentwise, that's fine, but to bring in an arbitrary thing like masters finals on clay is stretching it when it has already been shown that Roddick is resultswise clearly better than Goran was overall.

Also it's funny you note clay, when percentage-wise at least Roddick has a better record on it than Goran did. Not saying Roddick is better than Goran on the surface, but to make it seem as if Goran is some clay great just b/c he made a couple of masters finals is stretching to say the least.

Ivanisevic: 141-87 .618 5 titles
Roddick: 73-37 .664 5 titles

There's plenty of things which each player has done which the other hasn't, singling out a factor on each players' worse surface is just fudging the facts to fit your opinion. At least be honest here.

aphex
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Only in that Sampras didn't double fault as much. That was the only advantage. A Goran first serve that goes in is the greatest serve in history.

As I explained previously, Karlovic has a clearly better serve.

PSNELKE
02-25-2011, 04:04 AM
People and players have long said that Pete Sampras' serve was not only the fastest but it was the heaviest, and he was able to hit any serve and any spot from the same toss ---He disguises his serve better than anyone, Federer is also good at this.

Not to take anything away from Goran, I really like him a lot, I just think he had more of an Isner/Karlovic type of advantage to his serve with the height, but it is obviously among the best.

You serious bro, Goran was 1.93m, 7cm taller than Sampras and 5 shorter than Cilic, JMDP and even short than Soderling and Berdman.

Ivanisevic is a midget compared to Isner and Karlovic, there´s actually no big advantage he had to Pete because of his height.

kOaMaster
02-25-2011, 12:47 PM
career? of course roddick. both had one player they couldn't really get through although I think federer was worse for roddick than sampras for ivanisevic.

but I somehow think roddick's game is less...dangerous? a little more one-dimensional. ivanisevic could've been so much better where as I think roddick almost made the best out of it, except winning wimbledon.