PDA

View Full Version : Federer: secret training session at my old club...

gzhpcu
05-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Federer trained secretly at my old club, TC Seeblick in Zurich last weekend.

http://is.blick.ch/img/gen/Y/S/HBYSX1r7_Pxgen_r_900x699.jpg

Here is the link to the article. Sorry it is in German, but you can click on photo gallery to see Roger...

http://www.blick.ch/sport/tennis/federer-geheimtraining-in-zuerich-118517

I missed it, because I am now living in Lugano and changed clubs....

Bud
05-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Federer is using Tretorn Micro X tennis balls to practice with! :)

BTW, who's the scrub sitting beside him? :grin:

gzhpcu
05-11-2009, 12:06 AM
That is Roman Valent. Roman won the Wimbledon Juniors title about 7 years ago. He was a promising player, then came down with mononucleosis, and never really found his form again.

Underhand
05-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Quite good picture from a secret spy camera.

Leublu tennis
05-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Interesting. Thank you.

theduh
05-11-2009, 03:39 AM
Great spy pictures! Thanks for sharing.

seffina
05-11-2009, 04:45 AM
What's the elevation there?

fedtastic
05-11-2009, 05:54 AM
I am not trying to start a flame war but doesn't Federer's racket look like k95. His racket head looks bigger than the other guy's. Its an honest question. What you guys think? Please no silly replies like, he uses the big Bubba and what not.

Great pics BTW, Thanks for sharing.

larry10s
05-11-2009, 06:07 AM
g great post . im surprised you did not get to hit with him or ask him about the high elbow and the serve, etc. lol

sureshs
05-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Let us see if it pays off at the Madrid masters or he still loses to Djokovic, Murray or Nadal.

BounceHitBounceHit
05-11-2009, 06:37 AM
I am not trying to start a flame war but doesn't Federer's racket look like k95. His racket head looks bigger than the other guy's. Its an honest question. What you guys think? Please no silly replies like, he uses the big Bubba and what not.

I think the thing folks need to remember here is that the K90 and the K95 are almost IDENTICAL in head size. If you don't believe me, go down to your local tennis store, pick a sample of each, and hold them up to one another. ;)

Skilled players (like Federer......yes, I know he's not won 3/4 Slams the last couple of years but he IS still pretty good) select a frame based on its 'feel'. not for 5si of head size.

CC

fedtastic
05-11-2009, 06:51 AM
I think the thing folks need to remember here is that the K90 and the K95 are almost IDENTICAL in head size. If you don't believe me, go down to your local tennis store, pick a sample of each, and hold them up to one another. ;)

Skilled players (like Federer......yes, I know he's not won 3/4 Slams the last couple of years but he IS still pretty good) select a frame based on its 'feel'. not for 5si of head size.

CC

No i believe you. I have 100 inch and 95 inch rackets myself and the difference is almost un noticeable.
Ofcourse Fed is pretty good, he is my icon. :)

BounceHitBounceHit
05-11-2009, 07:11 AM
No i believe you. I have 100 inch and 95 inch rackets myself and the difference is almost un noticeable.
Ofcourse Fed is pretty good, he is my icon. :)

;) I didn't mean what I wrote in an unfriendly way. Truth is, Fed is THE Tennis Icon, so far as I can tell. :) CC

jjl
05-11-2009, 07:11 AM
nice spy pics. Personally, i'm a fan of Fed's, and hope to see him break Sampras' slams record, and do it against Nadal in both finals. He comes across as a nice guy, friendly to those fans (the young girls in the pic, presumably fans). Nice GL mercedes.

RalphNYC
05-11-2009, 07:13 AM
That's a cool photo. I'll be rooting for the old man at RG this year.

JediMindTrick
05-11-2009, 07:38 AM
That is Roman Valent. Roman won the Wimbledon Juniors title about 7 years ago. He was a promising player, then came down with mononucleosis, and never really found his form again.

What's up with the ATP and mononucleosis?

defrule
05-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Somone has been spiking ATP players drinks.

RCizzle65
05-11-2009, 08:37 AM
What's up with the ATP and mononucleosis?

They have been kissing girls Stepanek has already gotten with

THESEXPISTOL
05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
lol
stepanek only dates hot girls..
that guy must have some kind of secret in natural charm...

Martina Hingis :oops:

Phil
05-11-2009, 08:56 AM

Federer will in fact be using a Big Bubba in his match against Nadal, if he makes it to the finals again this year. Of course it will be painted to look like a k-whatever the hell he's supposed to use.

Other than actually shooting Nadal on the court ala something like "The Last Boy Scout", Big Bubba is the only hope he has to keep it close.

Forward to 3:20 of this vid to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVrsGHs2MCk

gzhpcu
05-11-2009, 09:03 AM
g great post . im surprised you did not get to hit with him or ask him about the high elbow and the serve, etc. lol
It was kept secret and I was in Lugano. Just saw it in a local paper this morning...:(

By the way, in the article it says that he lost in Rome to Djokovic due to having a problem with his serve and he wanted to work on it here in Zurich... (guess he should read our serve threads, huh, larry?:))

gzhpcu
05-11-2009, 09:11 AM
If you look at this serve:

http://is.blick.ch/img/gen/h/5/HBh5GUYj_Pxgen_r_236x332.jpg

It seems to me that he is only going up and not forward...

larry10s
05-11-2009, 09:22 AM
It was kept secret and I was in Lugano. Just saw it in a local paper this morning...:(

By the way, in the article it says that he lost in Rome to Djokovic due to having a problem with his serve and he wanted to work on it here in Zurich... (guess he should read our serve threads, huh, larry?:))

i am sure he would learn something if he read them.!!

larry10s
05-11-2009, 09:23 AM

It seems to me that he is only going up and not forward...you should apply to be his next coach. he can learn alot from you!!!

gzhpcu
05-11-2009, 09:35 AM
you should apply to be his next coach. he can learn alot from you!!!
There you go, pulling my leg again...:)

gzhpcu
05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
What's the elevation there?
about 500 meters...

maximo
05-11-2009, 10:27 AM

I was in Como Italy last year, and travelled up to Lugano for a day. Went to this shopping centre called Fox Town, you might know it. And I must say, it wasn't the prettiest of places i've been to. :(

gzhpcu
05-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I was in Como Italy last year, and travelled up to Lugano for a day. Went to this shopping centre called Fox Town, you might know it. And I must say, it wasn't the prettiest of places i've been to. :(
Aaah... but Fox Town is in Mendrisio, not Lugano...:)

maximo
05-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Aaah... but Fox Town is in Mendrisio, not Lugano...:)

Really?

I can't exactly remember, but it was a deserted place. :)

Do you know Como btw?

Oh, and i did find some big brand clothes in Fox Town for pretty cheap. ;)

sureshs
05-11-2009, 10:39 AM

CC

On the contrary, Federer is on record saying he moved from his 85 head size to a 90 because he was shanking way too much.

dextor
05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Those are some really good photos. I enjoyed clicking through them. Always nice seeing pros during practice and downtime other than playing matches.

gzhpcu
05-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Really?

I can't exactly remember, but it was a deserted place. :)

Do you know Como btw?

Oh, and i did find some big brand clothes in Fox Town for pretty cheap. ;)
Sure I know Como. Great food. Go there now and then. They have an ATP challenger tournament there in September...

RalphNYC
05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Fed's a good player.

BreakPoint
05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Sounds familiar. No wonder Federer took pity on him and asked him to practice with him. Federer can relate to exactly what he went through. :(

It amazes me how some people still wonder why Federer's level of play dropped off so precipitously last year and this year. He's never fully recovered from mono! It's so obvious to see. The timing is exact. Also take a look at how Ancic was playing before mono and after mono.

sureshs
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Sounds familiar. No wonder Federer took pity on him and asked him to practice with him. Federer can relate to exactly what he went through. :(

Are you saying Federer will win his next title after 7 years?

BreakPoint
05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Are you saying Federer will win his next title after 7 years?
Has his practice partner won any titles 7 years after mono? He's not even on the pro tour due to his bout with mono. It's quite an amazing feat that Federer is even still on the pro tour. And ranked #2 in the world at that!

slicefox
05-11-2009, 05:51 PM
that's just because Federer is pro as ***

Greatest player in all time (including relativistic time).

Morrissey
05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Federer trained secretly at my old club, TC Seeblick in Zurich last weekend.

http://is.blick.ch/img/gen/Y/S/HBYSX1r7_Pxgen_r_900x699.jpg

Here is the link to the article. Sorry it is in German, but you can click on photo gallery to see Roger...

http://www.blick.ch/sport/tennis/federer-geheimtraining-in-zuerich-118517

I missed it, because I am now living in Lugano and changed clubs....

The look on Fed's face seeing the photographer take a picture was funny. "Oh well there goes my secret practice session."

That's some secret session, someone was there with a camera ready. LOL!

West Coast Ace
05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
It was kept secret and I was in Lugano...Glad you straightened that out. I was going to suggest you go to Afghanistan and find Bin Laden.

jms007
05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Has his practice partner won any titles 7 years after mono? He's not even on the pro tour due to his bout with mono. It's quite an amazing feat that Federer is even still on the pro tour. And ranked #2 in the world at that!
Well that's awfully presumptious with the mono. For all you know, he may not have been that good in the first place. Maybe he decided he has other priorities. Maybe he ran out of funds, or decided to just go with league play. Stop whining about mono, not even Fed talks about it anymore. I guess mono causes him to blow leads and shank. Umm yeah.

BreakPoint
05-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Well that's awfully presumptious with the mono. For all you know, he may not have been that good in the first place. Maybe he decided he has other priorities. Maybe he ran out of funds, or decided to just go with league play. Stop whining about mono, not even Fed talks about it anymore. I guess mono causes him to blow leads and shank. Umm yeah.
Um...what part of the OP's post did you NOT understand? :confused:

"Not that good"? He only won the Wimbledon juniors. You know, just like guys like Federer, Edberg, Monfils, Borg, Lendl, etc. Ever heard of them? I guess they're "not that good", either? :oops:

J011yroger
05-11-2009, 08:16 PM
you should apply to be his next coach. he can learn alot from you!!!

I wanted him to be my coach, but apparently the 2 cans of Miller Lite, half used 30 pack of Wilson Pro Overgrips, and a coupon for $1 off a Subway Sandwich that I was able to muster up was not enough to get him to sign a contract with me.

So I hope fed is willing to offer more than I could, or else he will have to work out his serve dilemma alone.

J

jms007
05-11-2009, 08:44 PM

All he said that was he did find his form again. Whether that was due to mono or not you don't know! For all you know he wouldn't have made anywhere in the first place. See below.

"Not that good"? He only won the Wimbledon juniors. You know, just like guys like Federer, Edberg, Monfils, Borg, Lendl, etc. Ever heard of them? I guess they're "not that good", either? :oops:

Yeah Donald Young won a junior slam too. What's your point?
Excuses, excuses as always.

gzhpcu
05-11-2009, 09:04 PM
In an interview with the Swiss newspaper "Tagesanzeiger", Federer said he is very close to a turnaround...

What he said was roughly that he is now ready to win a sand court tournament. In Monte Carlo, he said, he just wanted to see how his game was. In Rome, he was looking a bit more ahead. Now, he says, he feels he has the game to win and his goal is to win the title in Madrid. Said that since Madrid higher up is, the balls will be faster and bounce higher,so that will help his serve and he can play aggressively.

He has been training his serve a lot, he said, along with his footwork and working on his defensive game. Said, he feels it is all coming together and he feels better each day. Says he had a tough start of the season but feels that he is now very close to turning things around.

source: http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/tennis/Ich-bin-nahe-dran-die-Wende-zu-schaffen/story/13152108

BreakPoint
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
All he said that was he did find his form again. Whether that was due to mono or not you don't know! For all you know he wouldn't have made anywhere in the first place. See below.
Um...if it wasn't the mono that caused him to never find his form again, then why did the OP bother to mention the mono at all? :-?

FYI, in writing composition, you state the cause and then you state the effect.

Isn't Donald Young on the pro tour? Do players who are "not that good" ever come anywhere even close to being in the Top 100 in the world? :oops:

alchn
05-12-2009, 12:21 AM
He was a promising player, then came down with mononucleosis, and never really found his form again.

Hmmm...........

Deuce
05-12-2009, 12:50 AM

Of course, the truth is that BreakPoint has absolutely no idea why Roman Valent's career didn't pan out.
But BP is never interested in the truth if it shows that he is wrong.
(It's comical that he offers as 'proof' that he is right nothing more than the OP's words that Valent's career was "never found his form" after the mono - and extends those words to suit his argument. This is exactly the type of blatant manipulation that BP is known for.)

If you go back through the past 20 years, I'm sure you can find numerous players who won a Junior Major, and who never did anything in the pros.
They must all have had mono.

There is no point to arguing with BreakPoint - he will never, ever admit that he's wrong - even when it's painfully obvious to others how wrong he is.
As you read more and more of his posts, you'll see that he is absolutely not to be taken even remotely seriously.

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 01:16 AM
^^^^^ Argue with the OP then because I'm going by exactly what the OP said. Not that it matters to you because the only reason you're even in this thread is to attack me. What else is new? :-?

BTW, did Ancic ever find his form again after mono? :oops:

Deuce
05-12-2009, 01:21 AM
What did I tell you about BP, huh?...
He'll twist words and manipulate contexts and tie everything up in knots to make it somehow appear that he can't possibly be wrong.
Many people on this board recognize his unrelenting capacity to do this.

^^^^^ Argue with the OP then because I'm going by exactly what the OP said. Not that it matters to you because the only reason you're even in this thread is to attack me. What else is new? :-?
^ Oh... the poor little boy is whining...
The same poor little boy who posted a few totally unsolicited cheap shots at me in the ridiculous 'heycal vs. Deuce' thread - among many other threads.
You're an absolute manipulative hypocrite, BP.

BTW, did Ancic ever find his form again after mono? :oops:
^Yeah - that pretty much sums up the 'substance' of your position.
To say it is weak is to be overly generous.

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 01:32 AM
^ Oh... the poor little boy is whining...
The same poor little boy who posted a few totally unsolicited cheap shots at me in the ridiculous 'heycal vs. Deuce' thread - among many other threads.
You're an absolute manipulative hypocrite, BP.

Why don't you tell us about it, Deuce? Too embarrassed? Come on, don't be shy. :oops:

Why was it YOU and not I in a "Deuce vs. heycal" thread in the first place? :oops:

Deuce
05-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Why don't you tell us about it, Deuce? Too embarrassed? Come on, don't be shy. :oops:
^ How utterly mature...
sigh...

Why would I be embarrassed at an idiotic thread that someone else began for the sole purpose of sucking childish fools like you into taking unsolicited cheap shots at me?
I was simply laughing at the pathetic nature of that thread until it got zapped.
(And no - I certainly didn't ask for it to be deleted, as I felt it was good that it revealed you fools for who you are.)

Why was it YOU and not I in a "Deuce vs. heycal" thread in the first place? :oops:
Gee... might be because 'heycal' is just as manipulative and insecure as you, huh...

You are an absolute joke, BP...

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 01:46 AM
You are an absolute joke, BP...
That's because I have a sense of humor. Something you severely lack. :cry:

BorisBeckerFan
05-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Wow, a battle between a Tennis Guru and a Hall of Famer! This should be good!

Deuce
05-12-2009, 01:57 AM
That's because I have a sense of humor. Something you severely lack. :cry:
Not quite.
In fact (I know you've no interest in facts - but try to bear with me here...) in fact, those who know me regularly tell me that I have one of the best senses of humour of anyone they know.

I think it's safe to say that my sense of humour is several intellectual levels above yours - which explains your inability to recognize its existence.

Another of the many, many differences between you and I is that I don't overuse 'smileys' like you do.
In fact, I don't use them at all.
But I'm sure that some posters find your use of them to be 'cute' and 'funny'.
Tee- hee...

sigh...

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 02:05 AM
Not quite.
In fact (I know you've no interest in facts - but try to bear with me here...) in fact, those who know me regularly tell me that I have one of the best senses of humour of anyone they know.

I think it's safe to say that my sense of humour is several intellectual levels above yours - which explains your inability to recognize its existence.

And I think it's safe to say that my intellect is several intellectual levels above yours - which explains your inability to recognize its existence.

Sigh....

Deuce
05-12-2009, 02:08 AM
And I think it's safe to say that my intellect is several intellectual levels above yours - which explains your inability to recognize its existence.

Sigh....
Yup... You're so 'intelligent' that you basically copy and paste my post...

How original.

Hey!! You forgot your smiley!!

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Yup... You're so 'intelligent' that you basically copy and paste my post...

How original.

Hey!! You forgot your smiley!!
Pretty smart of me, wasn't it? :)

l_gonzalez
05-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Fed is rocking the white Merc GL Wagon! what is with tennis players and white cars?! I heard Verdasco has a white Porsche...

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 03:17 AM
Fed is rocking the white Merc GL Wagon! what is with tennis players and white cars?! I heard Verdasco has a white Porsche...
Same reason that tennis players wear white shorts. :)

jms007
05-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Um...if it wasn't the mono that caused him to never find his form again, then why did the OP bother to mention the mono at all? :-?

FYI, in writing composition, you state the cause and then you state the effect.

Just because you state them doesn't make them true. Fact is, this guy never made any waves on the ATP tour throughout his career and was ranked in the 300's at best. Fact is, you don't know that he ever would have, mono or no mono. You just jumped on it because it would reinforce your belief that Fed isn't what he used due to mono. Funny how his mono usually only kicks in against the top 4. Oh and it was awfully nice of mr. Mono to take a vacation during the U.S. open last year.

Isn't Donald Young on the pro tour? Do players who are "not that good" ever come anywhere even close to being in the Top 100 in the world? :oops:

Oh, suddenly you're not familiar with the concept of relativity?
Whatever, everyone here including you refer to top 100 players as "mediocre" from time to time. I shouldn't have brought Donald Young up, this guy isn't even at his level.

ace-nelis
05-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Great pictures,,
I really love those training pictures

vtmike
05-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Arrogant Federer at it again!! How can he even dare to think that practice will help him beat king Nadal! He should just shut up and let his racquet do all the talking! ~ Veroniqem

veroniquem
05-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Arrogant Federer at it again!! How can he even dare to think that practice will help him beat king Nadal! He should just shut up and let his racquet do all the talking! ~ Veroniqem
He should certainly practise a lot, you're right about shutting up though.

vtmike
05-12-2009, 06:14 AM
^^ He obviously paid some reporters to take pictures of him practising to intimidate king Nadal...How is that not arrogant?

TheNatural
05-12-2009, 06:35 AM
He's arrogant to think its adequate preparation to practice with some nobody and expect to compete with Nadal at Roland Garros.

^^ He obviously paid some reporters to take pictures of him practising to intimidate king Nadal...How is that not arrogant?

vtmike
05-12-2009, 06:36 AM
He's arrogant to think its adequate preparation to practice with some nobody and expect to compete with Nadal at Roland Garros.

Yes he should practice with Nadal instead :roll:

You know more than Federer or his coach about selecting a hitting partner...why don't you become a coach?

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Just because you state them doesn't make them true. Fact is, this guy never made any waves on the ATP tour throughout his career and was ranked in the 300's at best. Fact is, you don't know that he ever would have, mono or no mono. You just jumped on it because it would reinforce your belief that Fed isn't what he used due to mono. Funny how his mono usually only kicks in against the top 4. Oh and it was awfully nice of mr. Mono to take a vacation during the U.S. open last year.
Um...ever consider that maybe he never made any waves on the ATP Tour because he had mono? :-?

Federer hasn't found his form again after mono. It's obvious for anyone to see. But he's so good that he doesn't even need to be in form to beat everyone except the Top 4. Just like the pro at your club is so good that he can beat you without even trying, but put him up against another pro and he'll have to be at his best to win.

Oh, suddenly you're not familiar with the concept of relativity?
Whatever, everyone here including you refer to top 100 players as "mediocre" from time to time. I shouldn't have brought Donald Young up, this guy isn't even at his level.
Um...anyone in the Top 100 is not "mediocre", and I don't think I've ever stated as such. If someone in the Top 100 is "mediocre", what does that make YOU? :oops:

veroniquem
05-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Arrogant or not, it won't work :lol:
After crying on Nadal's shoulder at AO, I don't think anything Fed could do will intimidate Nadal very much...

veroniquem
05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes he should practice with Nadal instead :roll:

You know what, that's an excellent idea and if he had made 1 or 2 finals on clay, he could have. Too bad he didn't.

jms007
05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Um...ever consider that maybe he never made any waves on the ATP Tour because he had mono? :-?

Maybe, maybe not. Ever considered he wouldn't make it anyway?

Federer hasn't found his form again after mono. It's obvious for anyone to see. But he's so good that he doesn't even need to be in form to beat everyone except the Top 4. Just like the pro at your club is so good that he can beat you without even trying, but put him up against another pro and he'll have to be at his best to win.

Such bull. He made all of the finals after AO 2008, won a GS, just barely losing Wimbly and AO. I guess mono also made him give up two leads against Djokovic recently. Whatever his problem is, it ain't mono. Anybody (include Fed himself) but you can see that.

Um...anyone in the Top 100 is not "mediocre", and I don't think I've ever stated as such. If someone in the Top 100 is "mediocre", what does that make YOU? :oops:

Oh sure you have. Everyone has. At the very least in your attempts to downgrade Nadal's wins, I'm sure. And this has nothing to with me. "Relatively", remember? Look it up.

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Ever considered he wouldn't make it anyway?
He did win Junior Wimbledon, didn't he? So he was better than anyone of his age, right? Then he got mono. The OP clearly implied that he had great form BEFORE mono but his form fell apart AFTER mono. If that's not a cause and effect, I don't know what is.

Such bull. He made all of the finals after AO 2008, won a GS, just barely losing Wimbly and AO. I guess mono also made him give up two leads against Djokovic recently. Whatever his problem is, it ain't mono. Anybody (include Fed himself) but you can see that.
How many Grand Slams, Master's Series, and Master's Cups did Federer win BEFORE mono and how many has he won AFTER mono?

Black, meet white.

Everyone can clearly see that he's slower, his footwork has gotten worse, and that his timing is off, which leads to more mishits. In effect, his form is not what it was before he got mono. The timeline of his results prove that.

You just can't seem to face the fact that Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic have only gotten the best of Federer because of an illness. Get over it and deal with it!

Oh sure you have. Everyone has. At the very least in your attempts to downgrade Nadal's wins, I'm sure. And this has nothing to with me. "Relatively", remember? Look it up.
Show me where I have ever called Nadal "mediocre".

jms007
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
He did win Junior Wimbledon, didn't he? So he was better than anyone of his age, right? Then he got mono. The OP clearly implied that he had great form BEFORE mono but his form fell apart AFTER mono. If that's not a cause and effect, I don't know what is.

At that moment, maybe he was. But that was no guarantee he was gonna make it as pro.

How many Grand Slams, Master's Series, and Master's Cups did Federer win BEFORE mono and how many has he won AFTER mono?

Black, meet white.

Oh you were expecting him to win everything at the same pace, year after year? Is that how things work in Fantasy land? Even though the top 3 started maturing and figuring out his game? Then no wonder you cling on to the mono excuse so much. Oh and you conveniently my remark about the 4 latest GS finals. Another perk of living in Fantasy land.

Everyone can clearly see that he's slower, his footwork has gotten worse, and that his timing is off, which leads to more mishits. In effect, his form is not what it was before he got mono. The timeline of his results prove that.

See last 2 sentences above.

You just can't seem to face the fact that Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic have only gotten the best of Federer because of an illness. Get over it and deal with it!

More like you got a problem with dealing with reality that some players caught up him and are about to pass him as he goes downhill.

Show me where I have ever called Nadal "mediocre".

His opposition, not him.

Alright, I should spend my time more wisely than arguing with a senile old man. Cheers.

RalphNYC
05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Fed is a good player.

wangs78
05-12-2009, 01:05 PM

Totally agree with everything being said here. It's a testament to Fed's sportsmanship that he hasn't blamed mono more for his "poor" results since AO '08. The guy's play has basically dropped off a cliff (relative to his previous level of play) since AO '08. Age takes its toll slowly, not overnight. Hence, his illness must be a big factor. Look at Mario Ancic - he was up and coming until he got hit by the mono bug and not sure where he is now. Does make me wonder how so many tennis players seem to get mono since I've only ever met one person who got it but that's a different question altogether.

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 02:51 PM
At that moment, maybe he was. But that was no guarantee he was gonna make it as pro.
And who's claiming that he would have made it as a pro? Go back and reread my posts. All I said was that it looks like he never found his form again after mono (just like Federer), which was totally based upon the exact statement made by the OP. I don't know Roman Valent from a hole in the wall.

Oh you were expecting him to win everything at the same pace, year after year? Is that how things work in Fantasy land? Even though the top 3 started maturing and figuring out his game? Then no wonder you cling on to the mono excuse so much. Oh and you conveniently my remark about the 4 latest GS finals. Another perk of living in Fantasy land.

Um...is that what you said in 2005? And again in 2006? And again in 2007? :oops:

If you can't see that Federer today is not the same player he was before, then you really ought to watch more tennis. Or take your head out of the sand and open your eyes.

More like you got a problem with dealing with reality that some players caught up him and are about to pass him as he goes downhill.

Yes, the downhill slide caused by mono.

Nanshiki
05-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Anyone else notice Federer has a really, really thick wallet?

I guess it stands to reason.

william
05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I know it is really off topic, but does anyone know what the T-shirt fed is wearing is??

Deuce
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
^ And the OP is the ultimate fact source here because....?

^ To my knowledge, Federer has never won even one Grand Slam.

Your lack of proper tennis terminology aside, how many Majors did John McEnroe win before 1985, and how many did he win after 1985?
Did he have mono, too?

The same could be said of absolutely every player who has won, say, more than 3 Majors, and been #1 in the world for a significant period.
The FACT is that the play of every tennis player declines at some point - some sooner, and some later. And for many, many different reasons - some physical, some psychological...

^ If this is a "fact", as you relentlessly claim, it is surely easy to prove that it is a fact.
Thus far, you've not come anywhere close to doing so.

Indeed, Federer has not played as well for the past 18 months or so as he had played in the several years prior to that. Neither you nor I nor I suspect any other poster on this message board know Federer nearly well enough to know all of the things that have gone on in his life in the past 18 months. We know only a very few things - the mono, his marriage, Mirka's pregnancy... But, my god, there are so many other possible reasons - both physical and psychological - for the decline in his play that it is nothing short of absolute and irresponsible folly to claim - as you do - that the mono is the sole - or even the main - cause of his tennis decline.

Your totally circumstantial evidence (and it's not even that, really) would have you laughed out of any courtroom real fast were you to attempt to present it in a situation of law.

The only FACT here is that none of us - including you - know why Federer's play has declined in the past 18 months or so.

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 10:35 PM
^^^^^

Pssst......I can tell you why but you have to promise to keep it a secret and not tell anyone, OK?

It was THE MONO!!!!!!!!

He goes from destroying Nadal at the '07 Master's Cup and winning the title easily to not being able to win anything in a span of a few weeks? What happened in between that time? Oh, yeah, he got MONO!!!!!!

And he's never been the same since. Every commentator repeats over and over during every one of Federer's matches since his mono that his footwork is sloppier, he's slower, his timing is off, he's mishitting more forehands and backhands, he's forgotten how to volley, his serving percentage has dropped and his serves are not as effective as before, his forehand is no longer the weapon it once was but is now an error factory, etc., etc. How did he drop off so precipitously and how did this happen so suddenly in a few weeks time? Oh, yeah, he got MONO!!!!!!!

BTW, heard much from Ancic lately? He was #7 in the world right before he got mono. :oops:

Deuce
05-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Pssst......I can tell you why but you have to promise to keep it a secret and not tell anyone, OK?

It was THE MONO!!!!!!!!

He goes from destroying Nadal at the '07 Master's Cup and winning the title easily to not being able to win anything in a span of a few weeks? What happened in between that time? Oh, yeah, he got MONO!!!!!!

And he's never been the same since. Every commentator repeats over and over during every one of Federer's matches since his mono that his footwork is sloppier, he's slower, his timing is off, he's mishitting more forehands and backhands, he's forgotten how to volley, his serving percentage has dropped and his serves are not as effective as before, his forehand is no longer the weapon it once was but is now an error factory, etc., etc. How did he drop off so precipitously and how did this happen so suddenly in a few weeks time? Oh, yeah, he got MONO!!!!!!!

BTW, heard much from Ancic lately? He was #7 in the world right before he got mono. :oops:
Actually, come to think of it, Federer's tennis decline began right after I scraped my knee while reaching far to my right for a ball my opponent hit.
I think it's a rather obvious fact that this was the catalyst for Federer's decline.

It's official, BP...
You are not only delusional, but absolutely, positively irrational, as well.

BreakPoint
05-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Actually, come to think of it, Federer's tennis decline began right after I scraped my knee while reaching far to my right for a ball my opponent hit.
I think it's a rather obvious fact that this was the catalyst for Federer's decline.

It's official, BP...
You are not only delusional, but absolutely, positively irrational, as well.
Wait, you claim that Federer's decline is due to YOU scrapping YOUR knee and you call ME "irrational"? :-?

Oh, the irony is killing me......

Nanshiki
05-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I think your Sarcasm Detector is broken.

jms007
05-13-2009, 08:34 AM
And who's claiming that he would have made

Um...is that what you said in 2005? And again in 2006? And again in 2007? :oops:

Haha, yeah that was before Djokovic, Murray really bloomed. Even Nadal had room for improvement back then, and still does. Surely if Federer won pretty much everything 3 years in a row, it has to happen a forth year. I mean it's just common sense. :rolleyes:

EtePras
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM

It seems to me that he is only going up and not forward...

Not surprising when you consider how bad his serve is. The other greats of the game (Roddick, Sampras, Ivanisevic) all have much better serves because they don't make elementary mistakes like this.

BreakPoint
05-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Haha, yeah that was before Djokovic, Murray really bloomed. Even Nadal had room for improvement back then, and still does. Surely if Federer won pretty much everything 3 years in a row, it has to happen a forth year. I mean it's just common sense. :rolleyes:
People have difficulty finding their form again after mono. I mean it's just common sense. :-?

Just ask Ancic and Roman Valent. :oops:

Swissv2
05-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Way to turn this thread into a "flame Roger and other posters" event.

Lets get back on topic.