PDA

View Full Version : anyone else agree FO crowd is annoying?

Leonidas
05-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Every year I folow the FO on my tv, and its always the same. Every time a player asks to revise a ball mark, the crowd boo him. If you ask for a break to go to the toilet, they´ll boo you. If you talk to the umpire, they´ll boo you. If you´re spanish, they´ll boo you even more. If you have won the tournament 4 times, they should love you, but they dont, they go crazy every time somebody is pushing you hard. Morover, they even try to scare you if you play against a french player. Fair enough, i can understand people should support their players, but you should always keep some manners and sportmanship. I didn´t see such sportmanship when Nadal played Grosjean or Mathieu a few years ago. Nadal looked like a gladiator in the middle of the roman coliseum, with the savage crowd asking for his head. I folow WB, the US open and the Ao and the crowd love great players. they support both Federer and Nadal and they worship them. Unlike at those places, at the FO the crowd is always disrecpectful towards some players, rooting for any no-name who plays against Nadal for example. I guess they dont like the fact that Spanish players usually win the whole things, wheras the french players haven´t done it for more than 20 years. My advise: enjoy the tennis and stop hating, FO crowd!

gj011
05-11-2009, 01:37 AM
No. The USO crowd is worst by far. They shout during service motions, hustle players, yell "out" when ball is in, ...
and due to this rude and classless behavior affected outcomes of several important matches. No other GS tennis crowd does that.

Leonidas
05-11-2009, 01:45 AM
No. The USO crowd is worst by far. They shout during service motions, hustle players, yell "out" when ball is in, ...
and due to this rude and classless behavior affected outcomes of several important matches. No other GS tennis crowd does that.
well i haven´t followed the US open that much, since no free channel shows it here in spain. by the way,i heard your player won Belgrado, its a pitty this time he is on nadal´s half. Anyway, this clay court is pretty fast, so Verdasco could take nadal out this time...

theduh
05-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Every year I folow the FO on my tv, and its always the same. Every time a player asks to revise a ball mark, the crowd boo him. If you ask for a break to go to the toilet, they´ll boo you. If you talk to the umpire, they´ll boo you. If you´re spanish, they´ll boo you even more. If you have won the tournament 4 times, they should love you, but they dont, they go crazy every time somebody is pushing you hard. Morover, they even try to scare you if you play against a french player. Fair enough, i can understand people should support their players, but you should always keep some manners and sportmanship. I didn´t see such sportmanship when Nadal played Grosjean or Mathieu a few years ago. Nadal looked like a gladiator in the middle of the roman coliseum, with the savage crowd asking for his head. I folow WB, the US open and the Ao and the crowd love great players. they support both Federer and Nadal and they worship them. Unlike at those places, at the FO the crowd is always disrecpectful towards some players, rooting for any no-name who plays against Nadal for example. I guess they dont like the fact that Spanish players usually win the whole things, wheras the french players haven´t done it for more than 20 years. My advise: enjoy the tennis and stop hating, FO crowd!

Well in my observation they only "boo" players if they really disrupt the game frequently (ie challenging every ball, delaying, every set toilet breaks, etc), imo they are an OK crowd with a hint of patriotism (well who doesn't?)

That makes the USO special, I mean I love all the GS but this one really makes the year ending GS more fun to watch as suppose to keeping your mouth shut during intense rallies ala wimbledon.

120mphBodyServe
05-11-2009, 02:09 AM
US Open is the worst, closely followed by the French in 2nd.

swedechris
05-11-2009, 02:10 AM
I prefer the Oz open + Wimby.

The 2 other ones arent my cup of tea. LOL

Underhand
05-11-2009, 02:38 AM
And they eat SNAILS!

P_Agony
05-11-2009, 04:29 AM
US Open is the best. The matches there are always the most exciting due to the crowd. FO is the worst.

Lunaticalm
05-11-2009, 04:36 AM
I love the French crowd because the don't tolerate Maria Sharapova and her stupid antics.

Zaragoza
05-11-2009, 04:38 AM

Completely agree, and it's the same with the Paris-Bercy crowd. I made a thread about it that will probably be revived soon.
The crowd ranking is clear to me (from best to worst):

1- Wimbledon
2- Australian Open
3- US Open
4- R. Garros

Lefty5
05-11-2009, 06:35 AM
1. US Open by far is the most fun and jovial. Its a wild atmosphere which is probably the best to increase tennis interest.
2. If you're a prim and proper tightwad, then Wimby is the best for you.
3. At the Aussie Open, all I remember is fights breaking out. Not sure how that can be good.
4. French Open is most annoying by far - I agree with the original poster.

The Pure One
05-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Agree with the OP. FO crowd is the worst by far. In every match you have people in the crowd shouting like chickens in a chicken farm: eeeeeuuuuuuuuuupp!!! Stupid and simply annoying.

Federafa
05-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Agreed, FO crowd is the worst on the planet, to be straightforward I think french crowds in general are annoying. In my opinion, each GS crowd has irritating aspects:

FO: think they know tennis but all they show is a lack of respect and they think they're at a soccer game, too many booings...

USO: don't seem to understand the subtility of the game too much, act like it's a football game or a movie, great atmosphere though

WIM: really respectful but sometimes would need some craziness

AO: great crowd, know what they're talking about, a little overexcited at times

An other thing: EVERY crowd support the guy from the country, it's annoying but it's true... I think the worst here are the french and the american

oneleggedcardinal
05-11-2009, 07:19 AM
France and the United States...united through annoying fans. Reminds me of the good old days, circa 18th century.

PERL
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM

I don’t think so. Madrid crowd is the worst. See Berdych’s incident on youtube for more info.

Nadal_Freak
05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Australian Open and Wimbledon have the best crowds. The French Open and US Open have pathetic crowds. Both in different way.

Nadal_Freak
05-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I don’t think so. Madrid crowd is the worst. See Berdych’s incident on youtube for more info.
No that was awesome.

Richie Rich
05-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Agree with the OP. FO crowd is the worst by far. In every match you have people in the crowd shouting like chickens in a chicken farm: eeeeeuuuuuuuuuupp!!! Stupid and simply annoying.

i hate that too. silly frenchies

PERL
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
No that was awesome.

Ask Berdych.

swedechris
05-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I love the French crowd because the don't tolerate Maria Sharapova and her stupid antics.

Good point .. she is so selfabsorbed.. i cant stand her personally. i cant imagine her winning there . The Paris crowd would storm the court at Match point.:)

stormholloway
05-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Ironically, when I've gone to the US Open the most annoying fans have been Spanish.

Nadal_Freak
05-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Ask Berdych.
Berdych's behavior was pathetic. He got what he deserved.

THESEXPISTOL
05-11-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't like FO crowd..

1- Wimbledon
2- Australia
3- USOpen
4 - FO

skip1969
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
we have this discussion every year. every gs is different. every match is different. the fans react as they see fit. sometimes, they cross the line. but it is always dangerous to paint with a broad brush. annoying fans exist in every country, in every sport. but they don't accurately represent an entire culture or a country.

Leonidas
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Ironically, when I've gone to the US Open the most annoying fans have been Spanish.
i dont know about that, but i´ll tell something. ITs almost impossible to find spanish fans in the middle of a ruffle. Ask the Austrian, i was there for the eurocup and it was amazing, swedish spanish acted like brothers. From which country are the fans who fight? english come to mind for example. Its weird how the best crowd to me (Wimbledon, premier league) become so agressive when they travel abroad. or maybe its just the people who travel dont represent the rest of the supporters..