PDA

View Full Version : why cant the grand slam award real trophies to winner

makhan10
05-11-2009, 05:07 AM
instead of giving them small replicas of the original trophy. after all the winners have worked hard to earn the real trophy. is it too expensive or what????????

Pirao
05-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Because the real trophy is like the eternal symbol of the tournament, I think holding up a trphy that has existed for decades when you win the trophy (even if it's not yours forever) is very significant. I like the way it is personally. Maybe they could do something like the Champions League do, if you win 5 times or 3 times in a row you're given the original trophy. The World Cup has something similar I think but I can't remember for sure.

fedtastic
05-11-2009, 05:19 AM
LMAO, Every thread makhan10 starts is a question. hahahaha

Gorecki
05-11-2009, 05:37 AM
one could argue that they should give full size replicas and not smaller ones!... but giving the trophy itself... ???

do you get my point?

tennisnut16
05-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Because the real trophy is like the eternal symbol of the tournament, I think holding up a trphy that has existed for decades when you win the trophy (even if it's not yours forever) is very significant. I like the way it is personally. Maybe they could do something like the Champions League do, if you win 5 times or 3 times in a row you're given the original trophy. The World Cup has something similar I think but I can't remember for sure.

If you win the world cup, you get to keep the trophy until the next world cup.

Danstevens
05-11-2009, 06:07 AM
I wouldn't mind if I won a slam and only got to have to small replica of the trophy. At the end of the day, it's not the trophy that matters, it's what you did to earn it.

RCizzle65
05-11-2009, 07:39 AM
The US Open hands out a full replica, don't know why the other tournaments don't

Pirao
05-11-2009, 07:42 AM
If you win the world cup, you get to keep the trophy until the next world cup.

Yes, but you don't own it forever, but I think Brazil owns one world cup because they won it 5 times or something like that, like I said I'm not sure, I'll look into it.

ollinger
05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
I was at a barbecue once in Westchester County in the mid 90s, close to the NY Rangers practice facility, and one of the Rangers showed up with the Stanley Cup. Hockey has a wonderful tradition of allowing each member of the winning team to have the Cup at home for a few days. Also nice that the Cup keeps getting larger as they add more base to accomodate small plaques with the names of every player on the winning team. (It won't be a problem indefinitely as swede tells me it will be too warm in a decade or two to freeze the ice, even indoors, to play hockey.)

bluetrain4
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Why would it matter, seriously? The acheivement is actually winning the tournament. Of course, the trophy is a nice reminder of that, but I highly doubt any Slam champions care that they are not receiving full-sized replicas.

SempreSami
05-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Yes, but you don't own it forever, but I think Brazil owns one world cup because they won it 5 times or something like that, like I said I'm not sure, I'll look into it.

The Jules Rimet Trophy was awarded to Brazil after they won their third World Cup in 1970, but was stolen and probably melted down. The new trophy can't be won outright, rather a gold plated replica is given to the winning nation, although they probably get to keep the real thing until the next World Cup.

Winners of the European Cup are only allowed to commission 7/8 scale replicas unless they win three in a row or five in total.

Pirao
05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
The Jules Rimet Trophy was awarded to Brazil after they won their third World Cup in 1970, but was stolen and probably melted down. The new trophy can't be won outright, rather a gold plated replica is given to the winning nation, although they probably get to keep the real thing until the next World Cup.

Winners of the European Cup are only allowed to commission 7/8 scale replicas unless they win three in a row or five in total.

Oh so you can't win it anymore...

At least I got the bit about the Champions League right, lol!

sureshs
05-11-2009, 11:23 AM
They don't want Nadal's fingers touching the trophy all year, knowing where those fingers have been.

sh@de
05-11-2009, 07:42 PM
^ HAHHA that's so mean tho.

ATXtennisaddict
05-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I like the idea of giving out replicas and allowing the originals to be eternal symbols. Feels a lot more meaningful.

jamesblakefan#1
05-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I always thought it was like the Stanley Cup, where you get to keep the real thing for a year and then give it back. That would be cooler, IMO.

Fee
05-11-2009, 08:28 PM
LMAO, Every thread makhan10 starts is a question. hahahaha

and he never comes back to post in his own threads a second time.