PDA

View Full Version : tsonga using new racquet?

nick726
05-11-2009, 11:47 AM
just saw some pics fom the madrid tourny and it looks like tsonga's racquet is different. it looked like it had more orange than the kblade. anyone know anything?

OliverSimon
05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Ya!! I seem to notice the same thing. I don't think it is. Maybe the way the Kblade looks on a clay court. I saw the same thing with Kolschriber

YonexRDX
05-11-2009, 04:17 PM
i think its just the clays reflection onto the racket but a good notice

alextennis0805
05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
yea i was also wondering

10isplayer
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
i think it was just the lighting at that particular moment

leonidas1982
05-11-2009, 06:51 PM
They've changed his paintjob to the KBT. That's all. Same racket as always.

Crisp
05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
According to t o p s e r v e Tennis Jo is using the K Pro Tour 96 now. Of course it would be just a paint job of that model tho.

NickC
05-12-2009, 07:00 PM
They've changed his paintjob to the KBT. That's all. Same racket as always.

He's always had that paintjob....or for the past year and a half and then some....

Look at his videos from the AO2008. Same PJ as the one he's got now, I believe.

leonidas1982
05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
He's always had that paintjob....or for the past year and a half and then some....

Look at his videos from the AO2008. Same PJ as the one he's got now, I believe.

It went back and forth. Started with Tour then 98. And with Novak's departure, it is back to Tour. In the end it is still a European ProStaff (hyper I think) 95.

baseliner87
05-13-2009, 04:31 AM
http://www.********tennis.com/catalogue/c1/c23/p782

t o p s e r v e

lidoazndiabloboi
05-13-2009, 09:40 AM
it looks like hes still still using the kblade pj at madrid

NickC
05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
It went back and forth. Started with Tour then 98. And with Novak's departure, it is back to Tour. In the end it is still a European ProStaff (hyper I think) 95.

When was this? He always had the Tour PJ, IIRC. Had it in Melbourne last year and hasn't changed since.

NovakWannabe
05-13-2009, 11:58 AM

False, it's not a HPS6.1 European spec. It's a Hyper Pro Staff 6.5. The ancestor of the KBlade and nBlade.

therogerfan
05-17-2009, 07:08 AM
is it a Kobra PJ at World Team Championship ?

beckham
05-17-2009, 07:42 AM
It appears Tsonga is using a new PJ.

http://i44.tinypic.com/24dn4tk.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/21lrgid.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ef50k1.jpg

NickC
05-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Huh? An absolutely bizzare move by Wilson. He's the top-ranked player for Wilson that uses the K-Blade PJ, and even though he doesn't sell a ton of frames, he still makes top 10 in the world, so you make him endorse not a player's frame, but a APD rip-off? Strange.

OliverSimon
05-17-2009, 08:26 AM
I guess they need somone sponsoring this frame?
Maybe its not selling well. Interesting move by wilson

To me the head looks a little rounder maybe its the actual frame?

leonidas1982
05-17-2009, 08:50 AM

False, it's not a HPS6.1 European spec. It's a Hyper Pro Staff 6.5. The ancestor of the KBlade and nBlade.

In your attempt to sound superior, you failed to recognize that I never stated he uses/used HPS 6.1

jmverdugo
05-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I know it must be a PJ but it really looks like the real thing, I think he used to have PWS and I cant see them right now and the throat looks really like the kobra.

jazar
05-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I guess they need somone sponsoring this frame?
Maybe its not selling well. Interesting move by wilson

its not selling well at all. i would hazard a guess at saying its wilsons least popular racket (at least in the store i work at, and we have wilsons full range). i think the reason for its lack of selling is the fact that there has been no out there using it. if tsonga is making the switch to it (or to its pj or whatever) then its sales will pick up.

roddickslammer
05-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Look carefully at the throat. It is not the shape of the kobra. It is more Box-like.

sliderman365
05-17-2009, 09:19 AM
the colors are sick i think tsonga should get a new pj everytime he gets a new outfit so his racket matches his clothes

Tsonga nDance
05-17-2009, 09:27 AM
WTF.Wow so much respect lost for Wilson by me. To think that they would give him that toy stick to play with is just unexcusable.:-?

therogerfan
05-17-2009, 11:03 AM
The racquet head looks very big for some reason

maximo
05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Perhaps Tsonga is changing brand?

Heard some rumours that he might be switching to Prince.

Jchurch
05-17-2009, 12:15 PM
It's not that bad of a racket. I like much more than the APDC. It give good power on serves and ground strokes, but is lacking a little in frame stability. It is nice to have a HL frame that weighs so little.

OliverSimon
05-17-2009, 01:14 PM

I only think those rumors were of him actually just changing to the Kobra PJ

dincuss
05-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I know it must be a PJ but it really looks like the real thing, I think he used to have PWS and I cant see them right now and the throat looks really like the kobra.

Yah it looks like a real one, but not sure:-?

imalil2gangsta4u
05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
anyone have some pics?

SFrazeur
05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
It looks like an actual Kobra Tour mold racquet to me. I really, really liked that racquet myself. Very nice playing stick.

-SF

Argentino a morir
05-17-2009, 04:33 PM
deffinetly no paint job. the raquet has no PWS. and the shape has a huge difference to his previous racquet.

scraps234
05-17-2009, 04:48 PM
yeah i dont think its a paint job either and it isnt that bad... maybe he did switch... btw imalil2gangsta4u pics on 1st page

jetlee2k
05-17-2009, 05:01 PM
The worse racket I ever hit with.. This Kobra Tour is like kid racket at Kmart.. A wilson guy drop it off for me few months ago and it's terrible.. !! What's up with Wilson? the new Kobra line is a copy cat, full of gimmick and terrible..

Tsonga nDance
05-17-2009, 06:41 PM
It's not that bad of a racket. I like much more than the APDC. It give good power on serves and ground strokes, but is lacking a little in frame stability. It is nice to have a HL frame that weighs so little.

Yea it may be good for you guys but really now, Wilson is jeopardizing my boy's chances at Wimbledon. He OBVIOUSLY already has more than enough power himself so what the heck was the point of giving him a 100sq.in frame? For the sake of his fans, I hope he puts that money back on the table. ASAP.

SFrazeur
05-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Apparently I am one of the few who thinks it's a great racquet with a good combination of power, spin, control and decent feel. The swing weight is about 15-20 points too low, though.

If you guys want to experience an truly crappy Wilson racquet hit with the nVision sometime. It played like a plastic covered wire coat hanger.

-SF

sliderman365
05-17-2009, 10:34 PM
i think he got the pj just to match his clothes

jazar
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Apparently I am one of the few who thinks it's a great racquet with a good combination of power, spin, control and decent feel. The swing weight is about 15-20 points too low, though.

i agree with you. before i hit with it i was a little biased against it and the first time i hit with it i think that bias affected my judgement of it. but the second time i hit with it i thought it was great. i much prefer the kobra tour and the kobra team fx to the apdc

srvnvly
05-19-2009, 04:32 AM

If you guys want to experience an truly crappy Wilson racquet hit with the nVision sometime. It played like a plastic covered wire coat hanger.

-SF

Also agree that 1) it does have good weight and spin, I would add balance is good as well; and 2) the swingweight should have been at least 320-ish. It seems Wilson has been chasing Babolat for many years now in the tweener category

scraps234
05-19-2009, 06:24 AM
hmm well ive never hit with the nvision but i have withthe kbora and i still agree it plays great

Casco
05-21-2009, 03:16 AM
The pj is the Kobra Tour. From the photos, it has a larger head and beam than his previous Hyper proStaff painted like a KBlade. Could be a Kobra. Someone suggested the new KProTour, but the beam in the photos looks wider - more like a Kobra Tour. Personally, I think it makes sense for Tsonga (and everyone) to go with a more modern raquet with a slightly larger face, particularly for the clay he's about to play on this weekend.

pcpshortbus
05-21-2009, 05:48 PM

i talked to an adidas rep and he told me that they were trying to get tsonga. this is not a rumor, i heard it straight from the rep's mouth. not saying that tsonga WILL switch to adidas, but they are trying to get him.

Evry1hateslefties
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Check this photo of him serving, it's the bottom left thumbnail: http://www.atpworldtour.com/TENNIS/1/EN/PLAYERS/GALLERY/

Evry1hateslefties
05-21-2009, 08:14 PM
i talked to an adidas rep and he told me that they were trying to get tsonga. this is not a rumor, i heard it straight from the rep's mouth. not saying that tsonga WILL switch to adidas, but they are trying to get him.

Adidas is really making a huge effort to recruit more pros. If I'm not mistaken Novak Djokovic is going to be playing with adidas frames next year. Adidas is really getting into the it, and they will be a major player in the market in a few years.

cork_screw
05-21-2009, 08:44 PM
No he's not, just say, "Tsonga pretending to use a new racquet."

Eiffel59
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Adidas is really making a huge effort to recruit more pros. If I'm not mistaken Novak Djokovic is going to be playing with adidas frames next year. Adidas is really getting into the it, and they will be a major player in the market in a few years.

Ooops..you ARE mistaken..at least if Head doesn't go "boom"...they have a 3-years agreement with Djoko... :-?

SFrazeur
05-24-2009, 12:25 AM
i agree with you. before i hit with it i was a little biased against it and the first time i hit with it i think that bias affected my judgement of it. but the second time i hit with it i thought it was great. i much prefer the kobra tour and the kobra team fx to the apdc

Also agree that 1) it does have good weight and spin, I would add balance is good as well; and 2) the swingweight should have been at least 320-ish. It seems Wilson has been chasing Babolat for many years now in the tweener category

hmm well ive never hit with the nvision but i have withthe kbora and i still agree it plays great

Nice to see others appreciate the racquet as well.

If I were to use Wilson racquets again it would be this one.

-SF

barry
05-26-2009, 01:49 AM
From what I read, Novak knew the speed Pro was inferior to his current Wilson racket, so he demanded $5,000,000 to play with it. Since he was losing Head allowed him to go back to the Wilson frame, but painted it to look like the new Speed pro.

His results show when he switched from Wilson to Head, and then switched back to Wilson and started winning again.

Novak is taking Head’s money and not even using their design. Tsonga appears to be using the new Kobra, thick frame, hard to paint a thin frame to appear thicker.

SFrazeur
05-26-2009, 06:12 AM
From what I read, Novak knew the speed Pro was inferior to his current Wilson racket, so he demanded $5,000,000 to play with it. Since he was losing Head allowed him to go back to the Wilson frame, but painted it to look like the new Speed pro.

His results show when he switched from Wilson to Head, and then switched back to Wilson and started winning again.

Novak is taking Head’s money and not even using their design. Tsonga appears to be using the new Kobra, thick frame, hard to paint a thin frame to appear thicker.

That doesn't make sense. Wilson made a copy of his Head frame for him, are you saying instead of Head making him a Head racquet that he wants that they payed him millions to play with a Head frame that he doesn't like and now they are painting Wilson frames for him?

-SF

barry
05-26-2009, 06:35 AM
No! Novak was using a Wilson Frame, he was sponsored by Wilson, etc.. Head wanted him to switch to the new Speed Pro, he used it and it resulted in a total failure for him, so he went back to the original mold. It just says Head now!

vsbabolat
05-26-2009, 07:00 AM
No! Novak was using a Wilson Frame, he was sponsored by Wilson, etc.. Head wanted him to switch to the new Speed Pro, he used it and it resulted in a total failure for him, so he went back to the original mold. It just says Head now!

Sorry Barry, Novak never used the Speed Pro! His racquet since the start of 2009 have been the same: with 21mm beam width, 18x20 string pattern, and oval head shape of the Radical Midplus 98 square inch mold. Which Wilson had copied when Noavk had a contract with them.

vsbabolat
05-26-2009, 07:04 AM

Wilson Copied the HEAD 630 Radical Mold. You have it wrong it is a HEAD design.
http://www.protennisfan.com/2005/12/djokovic_signs_.html

People from Wilson company tried to make agreement with me for five years and they "catch me" now finally. I don't know the specification of our agreement, because we didn't ratify that still, but I know it's much better convention then I had with Head. I tried to play with 15-20 different models of Wilson and no one is conform to me. Then they made a copy of my Head racquet, and he is absolutely the same."

barry
05-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Sorry Barry, Novak never used the Speed Pro! His racquet since the start of 2009 have been the same: with 21mm beam width, 18x20 string pattern, and oval head shape of the Radical Midplus 98 square inch mold. Which Wilson had copied when Noavk had a contract with them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Novak Comments imply he was not using the same racket before he switched.

http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=27532

“I made some major changes, particularly with the racket which was quite risky at this time, admitted Djokovic. I take my responsibility. It’s what I did so I just have to move on. "

“But I managed to find the good rhythm with the racket. It really takes time mentally to accept the change and it’s a big switch. I think it (the Head prototype) has more power. Maybe a little bit too much power in some moments.”

Kind of says he made a switch and I think he is using a different racket in the Sony tournament than Indian Wells. The original mold he used was never confirmed, but since switching, he has switched back to the old mold. I think Head made an effort to get him to use the new Speed Pro, but it failed.

At least the new speed pro has a more Wilson style grip!

vsbabolat
05-26-2009, 08:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Novak Comments imply he was not using the same racket before he switched.

“I made some major changes, particularly with the racket which was quite risky at this time, admitted Djokovic. I take my responsibility. It’s what I did so I just have to move on. "

“But I managed to find the good rhythm with the racket. It really takes time mentally to accept the change and it’s a big switch. I think it (the Head prototype) has more power. Maybe a little bit too much power in some moments.”

Kind of says he made a switch and I think he is using a different racket in the Sony tournament than Indian Wells. The original mold he used was never confirmed, but since switching, he has switched back to the old mold. I think Head made an effort to get him to use the new Speed Pro, but it failed.

At least the new speed pro has a more Wilson style grip!

Sorry Barry but the mold of Djokovic's racquest have not changed!

Here is Djokovic in Sydney before the 2009 Australian Open using the same 18x20 string pattern, same 21mm beam width, and the same classic oval head shape which is a Classic head design that he has always has used.
Photo By viktorkwan
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Djokovic_2009_new_racquet-1.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Djokovic_2009_Training_Aus_3-1.jpg

Now Djokovic did make some tweaks to his layup because his racquet now have a stiffness of 51RA. That is the difference he had to adjust to.

In Case you are wondering the real Speed Pro is 16x19 string pattern, 18mm beam width, a very round lolly-pop like head shape, with a stiffness of 70RA:shock:. Novak never used this racquet or mold.

Edo
05-26-2009, 08:56 AM
about tsonga's new frame, to me it's a kpro tour. the shape looks like it and even if it's hard too tell from these pics, the string pattern looks like 16x20.. the kobra is 16x19, and it's a bit fatter between handle and throat. definitely not a pro staff like his kblade was.

just my .2cents..

barry
05-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Sorry Barry but the mold of Djokovic's racquest have not changed!

Here is Djokovic in Sydney before the 2009 Australian Open using the same 18x20 string pattern, same 21mm beam width, and the same classic oval head shape which is a Classic head design that he has always has used.
Photo By viktorkwan
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Djokovic_2009_new_racquet-1.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Djokovic_2009_Training_Aus_3-1.jpg

Now Djokovic did make some tweaks to his layup because his racquet now have a stiffness of 51RA. That is the difference he had to adjust to.

In Case you are wondering the real Speed Pro is 16x19 string pattern, 18mm beam width, a very round lolly-pop like head shape, with a stiffness of 70RA:shock:. Novak never used this racquet or mold.

So you are saying Novak lied? Read his comments, obviously not the same racket or mold at the time this article was written. In my opinion he went back to the racket he was using last year, it said Wilson at the time.

Mansewerz
05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
So you are saying Novak lied? Read his comments, obviously not the same racket or mold at the time this article was written. In my opinion he went back to the racket he was using last year, it said Wilson!

Yes, just like almost every other pro on tour!

vsbabolat
05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
So you are saying Novak lied? Read his comments, obviously not the same racket or mold at the time this article was written. In my opinion he went back to the racket he was using last year, it said Wilson at the time.

No where in your article does it say that Djokovic swicthed to the Speed Pro! All you have is your opinion as to what happen. I provided facts that Djokovic has not used the Speed Pro in 2009 which is a racquet with a 16x19 string pattern, 18mm beam width, a very round lolly-pop like head shape, with a stiffness of 70RA. I provided photogaphic proof of the mold and string pattern of Djokovic's racquet. Djokovic's racquet has always been 18x20 string pattern, same 21mm beam width, and the same classic oval head shape which is a Classic head design.

In case you don't know you can have multiple racquet come out of the same mold but because of different layup are different racquet and will play very different. The difference in layup can change how much a racquet flexes, where a racquet flexes. A example of this is with the HEAD Graphite Pro and HEAD Club Pro. Both racquet use the same mold but because of the difference in Layup the racquet play vastly different. Another example is the Wilson Pro Staff 85 and the Wilson Jack Kramer Staff 85. Both racquet again come out of the same mold but due to changes in layup they play different from each other.

So yes you can have two different racquet that come out of the same mold that play very different to each other due to the difference in layup.

Raiha
05-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Johnny mac was talking racquets again today and he mentioned Djokovic's risky racquet change. The commentators talk about it so much that it makes me wonder why they never talk about other pros changing pjs. The graphic on the broadcast said that Djokovic's string is "Technifibre 17."

btw Mac reiterated his infamous statement that federer uses a very "light racquet."

vsbabolat
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
btw Mac reiterated his infamous statement that federer uses a very "light racquet."

Yeah I heard that too. I guess Mac thinks 365Grams is a "Very Light Racquet".:shock:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=246366&page=4
Ok guys, here are the new photos of Roger's stick as promised, hope they are useful....

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh329/FabFed/P1010787.jpg

[http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh329/FabFed/P1010791.jpg

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh329/FabFed/P1010796.jpg

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh329/FabFed/P1010801.jpg

zhatka
05-26-2009, 08:36 PM
He is indeed endorsing Korbra Tour.

Check out the TW page:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KOBRAT.html

vsbabolat
05-26-2009, 08:47 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Tsonga_2009_Roland_Garros.jpg

Looks like a Kobra Tour to me. Just think in Madrid a couple of weeks ago Tsonga was using the Hyper Pro Staff 6.5 and he seems very comfortable with the Kobra Tour.:)

SFrazeur
05-26-2009, 09:26 PM
about tsonga's new frame, to me it's a kpro tour. the shape looks like it and even if it's hard too tell from these pics, the string pattern looks like 16x20.. the kobra is 16x19, and it's a bit fatter between handle and throat. definitely not a pro staff like his kblade was.

just my .2cents..

The Kpro Tour has PWS, the Kobra and the racquet he is using lacks PWS.

Roudoudou365
05-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Hi everybody,

First post :)

From what i've heard, from french pro stringer who's working in RG:

Jo was not happy with wilson's work on his frames, last winter he tried and fell in love with babolat APD and use it a lot in training sessions. But he's still under contract with Wilson until the end of 2009.
The facts are :
- He switched to a Kobra tour mold (customized of course).

The rumor :

- He will switch to a Babolat endorsement at the end of the year and will use an APD (or APDC ....)

Regarding that the kobra tour is the most similar frame from wilson to APD, the switch is quite logical.
But it's still very surprising regarding the huge differences the charac of his former frame and frames like Kobra tour or APD.
Very huge switch....

Hope it helps.

Josherer
05-27-2009, 12:15 AM
^^^^^ Lol Kobra mold actually looks simmilar to APD

barry
05-27-2009, 01:54 AM
No where in your article does it say that Djokovic swicthed to the Speed Pro! All you have is your opinion as to what happen. I provided facts that Djokovic has not used the Speed Pro in 2009 which is a racquet with a 16x19 string pattern, 18mm beam width, a very round lolly-pop like head shape, with a stiffness of 70RA. I provided photogaphic proof of the mold and string pattern of Djokovic's racquet. Djokovic's racquet has always been 18x20 string pattern, same 21mm beam width, and the same classic oval head shape which is a Classic head design.

In case you don't know you can have multiple racquet come out of the same mold but because of different layup are different racquet and will play very different. The difference in layup can change how much a racquet flexes, where a racquet flexes. A example of this is with the HEAD Graphite Pro and HEAD Club Pro. Both racquet use the same mold but because of the difference in Layup the racquet play vastly different. Another example is the Wilson Pro Staff 85 and the Wilson Jack Kramer Staff 85. Both racquet again come out of the same mold but due to changes in layup they play different from each other.

So yes you can have two different racquet that come out of the same mold that play very different to each other due to the difference in layup.

Maybe you should read the article it will help you understand, Novak switched rackets and the switch was not successful.

I think everyone can stimulate,
1. Novak used a different racket than the racket he used when endorsed by Wilson.
2. He had a bad period right after switching to Head.
3. He is back to his old frame painted to look like a speed Pro

Now he is playing like he use too. Tells me he went back to his old frame. He does endorse the Speed Pro, but no one thinks he actually uses it. I think he tried an 18 x 20 Head version from and it did not work out.

Mdubb23
05-27-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi everybody,

First post :)

From what i've heard, from french pro stringer who's working in RG:

Jo was not happy with wilson's work on his frames, last winter he tried and fell in love with babolat APD and use it a lot in training sessions. But he's still under contract with Wilson until the end of 2009.
The facts are :
- He switched to a Kobra tour mold (customized of course).

The rumor :

- He will switch to a Babolat endorsement at the end of the year and will use an APD (or APDC ....)

Regarding that the kobra tour is the most similar frame from wilson to APD, the switch is quite logical.
But it's still very surprising regarding the huge differences the charac of his former frame and frames like Kobra tour or APD.
Very huge switch....

Hope it helps.

I don't know how credible this is, but if you're telling the truth, that would be amazing. I just don't see how someone that has used HPS 6.5 mold since they were a teen could all of a sudden switch to a tweener mold one day after randomly hitting with it, and keep up his high level of play doing so. I obviously can believe that Wilson would make a new custom tweener mold for Tsonga in hopes of keeping him happy, but I have a hard time believing they would release it to the public, especially when they already have a very good tweener frame out IMO, with the KPro Open. If you are telling the truth about him switching to Babolat, I would imagine they'd paint his sticks as Aerostorms instead of APDCs, because no visible ATP pro really plays with an Aerostorm PJ. Just some thoughts.

Roudoudou365
05-27-2009, 04:09 AM
I'm quite septic too, i'm only reporting what i've heard.

It's obvious that whatever it was under the kobra tour PJ it's definitively not a hps 6.5 (bigger head size, different string pattern, no PWS) but a more "tweener like" thing....

Another point : Tsonga was asked about his new frame yesterday in his post match interview on french TV, he said that he switched to more "clay-suited" frame.....

PS : sorry for my below-average english speaking.

barry
05-27-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm quite septic too, i'm only reporting what i've heard.

It's obvious that whatever it was under the kobra tour PJ it's definitively not a hps 6.5 (bigger head size, different string pattern, no PWS) but a more "tweener like" thing....

Another point : Tsonga was asked about his new frame yesterday in his post match interview on french TV, he said that he switched to more "clay-suited" frame.....

PS : sorry for my below-average english speaking.

Whatever he is using he sure is playing well. Hitting winners from everywhere on the court. He seems to have more power. I tried the Korba pro and thought the racket played dead. It sure looks like a Kobra tour.

Eiffel59
05-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Maybe it's not a stock (K)obra Tour, but at least it's the same mold of that...I'm quite skeptical about his Europe-only agreement with Bab, since the Big W and the Double Stripe Brand are aiming at the same market shares..and to my memory it only happened once before...Borg playing Donnay in Europe and Bancroft in the USA...but it was Borg, it was loooooooong time ago and Bancroft was not in direct battle with the belgian firm....

barry
05-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Maybe it's not a stock (K)obra Tour, but at least it's the same mold of that...I'm quite skeptical about his Europe-only agreement with Bab, since the Big W and the Double Stripe Brand are aiming at the same market shares..and to my memory it only happened once before...Borg playing Donnay in Europe and Bancroft in the USA...but it was Borg, it was loooooooong time ago and Bancroft was not in direct battle with the belgian firm....

Could be the same racket only painted to vendor spec's. I can't believe endorsement sell rackets and would like to see the vendors drop all endorsements. Would be interesting to see what players use.

vsbabolat
05-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Maybe you should read the article it will help you understand, Novak switched rackets and the switch was not successful.

I think everyone can stimulate,
1. Novak used a different racket than the racket he used when endorsed by Wilson.
2. He had a bad period right after switching to Head.
3. He is back to his old frame painted to look like a speed Pro

Now he is playing like he use too. Tells me he went back to his old frame. He does endorse the Speed Pro, but no one thinks he actually uses it. I think he tried an 18 x 20 Head version from and it did not work out.

The problem is Barry I understand and you don't.

1. When Djokovic switched to Wilson in 2005, Wilson Manufactured Djokovic a Custom imitation HEAD Radical 630 for him. "I tried to play with 15-20 different models of Wilson and no one is conform to me. Then they made a copy of my Head racquet, and he is absolutely the same." http://www.protennisfan.com/2005/12/djokovic_signs_.html

2. Djokovic did switch racquets at the start of 2009 but not to the Speed Pro. Djokovic switched from his custom Wilsom imitation HEAD Radical 630 to a real HEAD Radical 630 with a custom Layup with a flex of 51RA.
http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/2009bnp_paribas_open.html

3. Djokovic never used the real Speed Pro in competition. The Speed Pro is 16x19, more importantly has a beam width of 18mm (that is the beam width of the K6-1 Tour 90 a very thin beam racquet to give some perspective), and has a very round lolly-pop like head shape (a head shape very much like the old Wilson T2000 only much bigger). Djokovic never used such a racquet or MOLD in competition. See this post instead of re-posting the photos from the beginning of January 2009 before the Australian Open of close up photos of Djokovic and his real racquet. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3465502&postcount=53

Eiffel59
05-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Could be the same racket only painted to vendor spec's. I can't believe endorsement sell rackets and would like to see the vendors drop all endorsements. Would be interesting to see what players use.

I believe that you're a bit "hard" at it...either you don't understand or don't want to...even if similar, APDC and KT molds are not exactly the same, and the one in the pics (these and others) IS a (K)obra mold..ah..BTW endorsement DO sell racquets..LOTS..i've sold tons of n90 and k90 to people that can barely play DECENTLY with a 265grs. , 102 sq. in. K6.1 Lite..all thanks to that swiss signature....

barry
05-28-2009, 04:55 AM
I believe that you're a bit "hard" at it...either you don't understand or don't want to...even if similar, APDC and KT molds are not exactly the same, and the one in the pics (these and others) IS a (K)obra mold..ah..BTW endorsement DO sell racquets..LOTS..i've sold tons of n90 and k90 to people that can barely play DECENTLY with a 265grs. , 102 sq. in. K6.1 Lite..all thanks to that swiss signature....

Not sure I would be real proud of pushing advanced level rackets off on beginners, but each to their on. I mean do people really purchase a frame because someone endorsed it. From what I have experienced, 90% of the pros are not using the the endorsed racket anyway, so what are you buying?

As for the Kobra, my only comment is the Kobra was fat, ugly, and played dead. Tsonga must have a different version than I used, he is playing and hitting the ball very well.

scraps234
05-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Not sure I would be real proud of pushing advanced level rackets off on beginners, but each to their on. I mean do people really purchase a frame because someone endorsed it. From what I have experienced, 90% of the pros are not using the the endorsed racket anyway, so what are you buying?

As for the Kobra, my only comment is the Kobra was fat, ugly, and played dead. Tsonga must have a different version than I used, he is playing and hitting the ball very well.

maybe different strings or grip or something because he isnt using pj...

roc17355
05-28-2009, 11:17 AM

Or maybe Tsonga is a better player????? And yes people do purchase racquets because of who endorses them or else manufacturers would not spend millions of dollars doing so.

The_Steak
05-28-2009, 05:12 PM

-SF

Don't worry. I am with you. Kobra is awsome.

roger nadal
05-28-2009, 05:14 PM
it will be a good switch of he does decide to go to babolat

OliverSimon
05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Babolat...Ew..Jo stay with wilson!

Steve F.
05-29-2009, 12:26 AM
After his match against Benneteau, JW responded to a direct question about switching racquets.

He says he wasn't getting the ball deep enough on clay with his old frame so he switched to the current frame which is a little better for that purpose. He's been using it for 2 to 3 weeks. He switched really only to improve his play on clay. Which is to say he won't necessarily stay with this frame. When the hard court season returns, he may change again.

From Lequipe (http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090526_220235_tsonga-c-est-un-soulagement.html):

Avez-vous changé de raquette ?

Je trouvais que je manquais un peu de longueur avec mon ancienne raquette. J'ai donc une raquette qui me convient un peu mieux sur cette surface. Cela fait deux ou trois semaines. C'est vraiment dans le but d'optimiser mon jeu sur terre battue. Ce n'est pas dit que je reste toujours avec celle-là. Je rechangerai peut-être après pour le dur.

btw guys - how bout keeping the Youtek talk in another thread. ;)

hsv91
06-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Play Tsonga actually the following setup?

Racquet: Wilson Kobra Tour (100 inch²)
String: Luxilon Alu Power Rough 1.25
Overgrip: Wilson Pro Overgrip
Dampener: Wilson Red Flame Dampener

Is that right, which tension and grip size play Tsonga?

Thanks

love15
06-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Few days ago I was playing at TCP (tennis Club de Paris) and Tsonga, that is member, came along to rally with a hitting partner. So I did took a close, close, look to the racquets and they were definitely Kobra Tour, I was quite surprised as well.

L15