PDA

View Full Version : what do YOU do in this situation?

randomname
05-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I was playing a doubles match the other day, and my partner hit a serve that I thought was out but just barely, my partner disagreed and asked the other team if they were sure. The receiver said he was positive he saw the ball out but the net man said that he really didnt know, and ended up giving us the point. This struck me as unusual because I always trust my partner unless I know for a fact that they're wrong, is this the way most people play, or were our opponents being overly generous? Also, does the position matter to you, or is your partner being convinced enough no matter what?

Steady Eddy
05-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I think it's the partner of the returner's job to call the serve. Since he couldn't call it out, it's in. It doesn't really matter what the returner thinks, he doesn't have as good an angle on it.

dataseviltwin
05-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I was playing a doubles match the other day, and my partner hit a serve that I thought was out but just barely, my partner disagreed and asked the other team if they were sure. The receiver said he was positive he saw the ball out but the net man said that he really didnt know, and ended up giving us the point. This struck me as unusual because I always trust my partner unless I know for a fact that they're wrong, is this the way most people play, or were our opponents being overly generous? Also, does the position matter to you, or is your partner being convinced enough no matter what?

You saw it out, they saw it out. If the returner was definitive, then hey... it's out - get over it. Technically though, they were right in giving you the point if the net guy wasn't sure, and the other guy didn't make a definitive call. That being said, nothing ticks me off more than a returner clocking a serve that's 6 inches out and not calling it (catching me flat footed in the process). Folks need to make calls!

All that being said, I'd've probably said play 2 and got on with it... no harm, no foul across the board.

raiden031
05-12-2009, 02:07 AM
It depends on what the net man saw. If the net man completely missed seeing where the ball landed, then there isn't doubt about his partner's call, so the out call should stand. If he disagrees with his partner, then they should give you the point.

blakesq
05-12-2009, 07:49 AM
If it is a first serve, you and your partner cannot "call it out" on behalf of your opponents. If it is a second serve, the fact that you saw it out (therefore you and your partner disagree, hence you must give up the point), should end the discussion, the serve was out. Thats one reason why I don't call out balls for my opponents, i let them make their calls, and I make my calls.

LuckyR
05-12-2009, 08:17 AM
The original call goes to the returning team (not the returner's partner). It doesn't matter which member of the returning team definitely saw the ball out (if the other partner did not see the ball, as the OP described) it is an out ball.

Your team can (and did) ask if they were sure. But IMO, since your team differed in opinion if the ball was out, I would not choose that particular shot to ask if they were sure, since your team isn't even sure.

randomname
05-12-2009, 08:33 AM
If it is a first serve, you and your partner cannot "call it out" on behalf of your opponents. If it is a second serve, the fact that you saw it out (therefore you and your partner disagree, hence you must give up the point), should end the discussion, the serve was out. Thats one reason why I don't call out balls for my opponents, i let them make their calls, and I make my calls.

I didnt make the call, I was just telling yall where I thought the ball landed.

JavierLW
05-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I think it's the partner of the returner's job to call the serve. Since he couldn't call it out, it's in. It doesn't really matter what the returner thinks, he doesn't have as good an angle on it.

It's not "his job" to make that call. Any player that sees the ball land out can call it out.

It's just a guideline that the partner should watch out for those calls, but it doesn't preclude the returner from making the call himself.

The scenarios are this:

1) He completely didnt see it and has no idea. In that case he should just let his partner call it out.

2) He definately saw it hit the line. He should overrule his partner, that's the honest thing to do. If he makes any indication that he might of seen it in to the other team then the ball is in, no questions asked....

3) He "thought that it might" of hit the line. If he says that out loud then the point is over and the ball is in. "I think....." means that there is doubt and doubt means that the call is in, not out.

(having some doubts about whether it was out and not seeing it, are two different things, only one person has to see it go out to make an out call and it can be either player)

In the OP, it depends on what the net man means.

If he clearly did not see it at all, then he's being way overly generous and he should of let his partner make the line call.

But if he's uttering words to mean that there is some doubt about whether it was in or not but just doesn't want to say it out loud then he made the right call.

Not sure why randomname's partner is arguing a call that's that close anyway though especially if was long. Im just like him, in those situations I try to reassure my partner that "it was out, dont worry about it", just so they dont waste time dramatizing the event.

And Im not going to vote in the poll because it's nonsense. There is a third choice, sometimes one player just doesnt see it and doesnt know if it's in or out, in which case the other player can make the call. (no matter which player is which.....)

raiden031
05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
And Im not going to vote in the poll because it's nonsense. There is a third choice, sometimes one player just doesnt see it and doesnt know if it's in or out, in which case the other player can make the call. (no matter which player is which.....)

Agreed with all of your points. On the poll options, there is definitely no rule that BOTH partners must make an out call.