PDA

View Full Version : Tracy Austin as a commentator

grafrules
05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
What is your opinion of Tracy Austin as a commentator? I thought she was absolutely horrendous in 1994 and 1995, but she later became possibly my favorite female commentator. It is amazing how quickly she improved from her first couple years.

bluetrain4
05-11-2009, 07:48 PM
I think she's fine, at times excellent. I always liked her and Ted Robinson at the USO on USA Network (I'll miss their coverage).

I used to think she was somewhat like MJ Fermandez in that she would be as good as the people around her, but now she's much more consistent regardless of who she's paired with. MJ tends to be good when others are good and bad when others are bad.

120mphBodyServe
05-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I find her voice annoying. But not as annoying as Pam Shriver...

plasma
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
a shreik versus a nagging nasal whine. Austin vs. Shriver. Bring in Chrissy, easy on the eyes and her voice is sweet as pie. Navratilova aint gorgeous or particularly nice sounding, but I get over it as she is literally a tennis genius and one of the few players ever (regrdless of gender) at the Sampras level of talent.

Warriorroger
05-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Her voice is horrible..

CEvertFan
05-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Austin has become one of my most favorite commentators. I'll miss USA's US Open coverage. Maybe Tennis Channel will hire her.

stormholloway
05-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Austin's voice is a bit girlish to me. I prefer Navratilova.

bluetrain4
05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Austin's voice is a bit girlish to me. I prefer Navratilova.

I also prefer Navratilova (and Evert for that matter), but Tracy doesn't bother me.

Lionheart392
05-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Austin's voice really grates on me. Jo Durie is my favourite commentator, knows her stuff and has such a soothing voice...

jimwh
05-12-2009, 09:09 AM
I think Austin does a fine job, but I prefer Mary Carillo.

CEvertFan
05-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I think Austin does a fine job, but I prefer Mary Carillo.

I hope you mean the old Carillo when she was doing commentary with Fred Stolle and Cliff Drysdale for ESPN because she was MUCH better back then than she is now.

grafrules
05-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Evert? Honestly I dont like her commentary at all, although as all her work was for NBC I suspect that has alot to do with NBC itself and isnt entirely her fault. What I mean by that is I have seen commentators for certain sports who are Canadian (as I am), used to work for Canadian sports stations before being lured by big money to work for NBC instead (eg- Elfi Schlegal gymnastics, Sandra Bezic figure skating, Todd Brooker skiing). These are sports I dont follow much, mostly only the Olympics and once in awhile the World Championships. However the quality of their work is so hugely different working for the Canadian station and NBC that it is obvious the station is dictating much of what they are doing.

grafrules
05-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I hope you mean the old Carillo when she was doing commentary with Fred Stolle and Cliff Drysdale for ESPN because she was MUCH better back then than she is now.

Carillo was a great commentator most of the 90s. She has become increasingly worse since the Williams hit the scene ironically enough. I am not sure it is directly related to the Williams but it is interesting nonethless.

bluetrain4
05-12-2009, 10:02 PM
I agree that Carillo was once actually very good. She's very quickly become at times insufferable.

120mphBodyServe
05-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Austin's voice really grates on me. Jo Durie is my favourite commentator, knows her stuff and has such a soothing voice...

I 2nd this.. And bring back VIRGINIA WADE!!!!!

scootad.
05-13-2009, 06:21 AM
I second that! I love Virginia Wade. Soft spoken but very intelligent. She knows her tennis.

scootad.
05-13-2009, 06:23 AM
I like commentators that actually discuss strategy and what's going on between the lines...not the latest gossip around the lockerroom or past accomplishments of players.

V. Wade, BJK, M. Nav are the best at this.

The US crew (including Pam, Carillo, MJF) are terrible at this

scootad.
05-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Although I can't blame them completely. Tennis these days (especially women's) is devoid of strategy. Not much to discuss

grafselesfan
05-16-2009, 04:00 AM
The US crew (including Pam, Carillo, MJF) are terrible at this

The current ESPN team are pathetic. Mary the sarcastic ignorant and poorly spoken fool who is milking her former mixed doubles status for all its worth, Mary Joe the ultimate Williams and Sharapova *** kisser and promoter of anyone her agent husband is employed by, NCAA mascot Fowler, Patrick McEnroe the smug self promoter who is another riding off John's coattails yet likewise is somehow seen on air way more than John as a result, Luke Jensen thrown in, alternating some with a washed up Drysdale and an even more washed up Bud Collins. Worst commentary crew ever. Oh yeah I like Shriver. Poor women.

rod99
05-16-2009, 07:32 AM
while i like the mcenroes and cahill, the best tennis commentators are the guys who do the atp masters series tournaments on the tennis channel. i believe their names are robbie koening, doug adler, and jason goodall. they REALLY know their stuff. not only that, but they also talk a lot of actual strategy (more so than just "needs to be more aggressive", "is making too many forehand errors", etc).

Bloodshed
05-16-2009, 08:19 AM
It's so bad when Richard Williams say girls like Evert, Austin, King are a bunch of paper champions compared to her sisters and yet Tracy Austin still has her tongue up Williamses' *** that it's sickening.

BTURNER
05-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Know I have said this before. But Jo Anne Russell Killed my DVDs and NBC exec should have life terms without parole for ever putting a mike in her hands.

boredone3456
05-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't really mind Austin but it really depends on who they have her in the booth with. She in my opinion is good with McEnroe, ok with Shriver. But to gether her and carillo sound like 2 hens, its really bad when those 2 are together. I do like austion though because she at least can talk about the techincal aspects of the game more than some of the other commentators can.