PDA

View Full Version : 1970 U.S Open final- Court vs Casals clips. Court completes her Grand Slam.

thalivest
05-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Here is a clip of some of the 3rd set of the 1970 U.S Open final between Margaret Court and Rosie Casals, where Court completed her historic Calender Slam, at the time one of only 2 women (later joined by Steffi Graf) to compete this feat. Interestingly there is commentary by Billie Jean King, the chief rival of Court and close friend of Casals, who had to miss that years U.S Open with injury. I am impressed with her impartiality, as I would have expected her to biased towards Casals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ith3DO4TcD8

Check out the backhand passing shot going backwards in the corner from Court at 4:24! Wow.

BTURNER
05-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Don't ask me why she doesn't get her due around here. If I hear one more word about how her australians' don't count' I will murder. Take 5 of them away, throw them in the dumpster and you still have a contender for GOAT. She created more pace off an garage sale tennis racket than any woman in the sport and put the ball where she wanted it to go, time and time again.

thalivest
05-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Don't ask me why she doesn't get her due around here. If I hear one more word about how her australians' don't count' I will murder. Take 5 of them away, throw them in the dumpster and you still have a contender for GOAT. She created more pace off an garage sale tennis racket than any woman in the sport and put the ball where she wanted it to go, time and time again.

Very well said. I think she is underrated by many since she isnt as recent as Graf, Seles, Williams, Navratilova, even Evert. Also because she didnt do that much to promote the game at the time Billie Jean King was doing so much in that area. She mostly just focused on her tennis and brilliantly at that. :)

BTURNER
05-11-2009, 07:41 PM
But for Martina, she has the best case for GOAT IN DOUBLES/MIXED

christo
05-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Margaret Court was the Steffi Graf of her day, long and leggy and a wonderful athlete. Rosie was a munchkin by comparison and I'm sure MC was happy to play her and not BJK that day!

BTURNER
05-14-2009, 04:57 PM
I agree with your conclusion but Billie Jean was kinda munchkin-size too wasn't she?

Moose Malloy
05-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Don't ask me why she doesn't get her due around here.

I agree, but its sorta funny you posted that in this thread. BJK not being in the USO draw in '70 would be like borg winning the calendar slam in '80 w/out Mac in the draw at the USO. It must have been incredibly anticlimatic for the fans to see Court-Casals in the USO final that year(I saw the King-Court W final recently, it was insane, one of the greatest matches ever. having a rematch at the uso with so much on the line & with the crowd in bjk's corner - it could have been another for the ages. would have been interesting to see court cope with that pressure - she said that got tight in the 2nd set vs casals when she started thinking about the Slam)

gpt
05-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Court has a 24/5 win loss record in major singles finals, take away all eleven Australian singles titles and it is still an impressive 13/5.And leaves her with 'only' 74 major wins. Any discussion of GOAT has to include her.

CEvertFan
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree with your conclusion but Billie Jean was kinda munchkin-size too wasn't she?

Billie Jean is 5' 4 1/2" and Rosie is only 5' 2 1/2", they're both short.

flying24
05-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Rosie really gifted Margaret that 2-4 game with two double faults and an easy blown smash. She was probably discouraged playing such good points the previous game and still not breaking due to Margaret's incredible defense and shotmaking skills.

gpt
05-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Correction to my post. Court made 85 major finals not titles. 66 major wins is still amazing

grafselesfan
05-16-2009, 02:41 AM
As it is Court is in serious consideration for greatest female player ever and could be strongly argued to be the greatest female player ever. However had she continued playing tennis without the 3 breaks for pregnancies/starting a new career briefly in 68 she would be the undisputed female GOAT by a huge margin. She would have well over 30 slams probably. She missed 5 slams from late 66-end of 67, and all of 68 after her layoff she wasnt up to her former self yes. She missed 4 more slams from late 71-late 72, and wasnt ready enough for the U.S Open probably. She then missed another 4 slams in 74, although she was pretty old by then. Still out of those 18 slams or so she could have easily had won say 10 of them without the breaks and had something crazy like 34 slams.