PDA

View Full Version : Scantily Clad Ball Boys/Ball Girls in Madrid?

Love Game
05-11-2009, 07:20 PM
http://www.madrid-open.com/site/photo_gallery/8/9
http://i44.tinypic.com/291yy4x.jpg

NOT. As you can see from the above sample, only the female "ball kids" are scantily clad.

Now that Madrid is a Joint tournament with both men's AND women's matches, shouldn't they alter their policy of ball bims? iow scantily clad ball girls showing cleavage and their underwear?

Whatever happened to ball kids from the local neighborhoods? Or at least they could have ball boys wearing tank tops, couldnt they?

shouldnt there be equal bimbosity?
himbos as well as bimbos?

Love Game
05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
CORRECTION:

i mistakenly included two options for my choice, namely, let them be ball kids from the tennis center or local neighborhood, as is more traditional.

but it wont really matter since voters can only choose one option ... sorry about that ... my bias is showing :twisted:

random guy
05-11-2009, 08:26 PM
This thread is worthless without at least ten more pictures :) (female bimbos ftw)

veroniquem
05-11-2009, 08:30 PM
It seems mostly males voted so far :lol:

Love Game
05-11-2009, 08:41 PM
This thread is worthless without at least ten more pictures :) (female bimbos ftw)

you may have to use your imagination :D
either that or watch some of the matches.

i saw a couple women's matches today, and since it was ?cold? all the ball-people were wearing jackets, so i was unable to make a first-hand decision aside from what they're showing on the official website ....... btw i dont get that official website at all. it scrolls out to the right and cant make up it's mind whether to show english or spanish.

Love Game
05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
It seems mostly males voted so far :lol:

i guess i wouldnt mind seeing ball boys in tank tops, but not the kids, just the adults.

i certainly hope they won't have young girls dressed as ball bims! :shock: (can you say "pedophilia"?)

do they even have adult ball "kids" in other tournaments? :confused:

veroniquem
05-11-2009, 08:46 PM
i guess i wouldnt mind seeing ball boys in tank tops, but not the kids, just the adults.

i certainly hope they won't have young girls dressed as ball bims! :shock: (can you say "pedophilia"?)

do they even have adult ball "kids" in other tournaments? :confused:
It's a silly idea. Kids are much faster than models!

iamgoat
05-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Nice to see. They need more of this.

rubberduckies
05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Models are very athletic and are used to being on their knees for extended periods of time.
They're the perfect choice for ball girls.

Hot Sauce
05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
As a heterosexual male, I don't care how the men look.

Kaptain Karl
05-11-2009, 10:44 PM
It's become one of the distinguishing features of the Madrid tourney. (Where have you been?)

You don't have the option, "Let the sponsors do what they want since they are fronting so much money." That's my vote.

(You don't have to watch the tournament....)

- KK

Underhand
05-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Yesterday I saw a couple of flat chested ballgirls on the main court, Tiriac should step up and be more selective, the minimum standard should be 34D.

Deuce
05-11-2009, 11:31 PM
It's become one of the distinguishing features of the Madrid tourney. (Where have you been?)

You don't have the option, "Let the sponsors do what they want since they are fronting so much money." That's my vote.

- KK
^ How utterly 'Christian' of you to place certain physical attributes, money, and financial profit ahead of the dreams of neighbourhood children...

dugger5688
05-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Watching the random models prance around the court is slightly annoying, since they're REALLY slow and seem to have no idea what they're doing. Plus the feed from Madrid is of such poor quality they really just look like teenagers in tank tops, nothing really awe inspiring.

Love Game
05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Yesterday I saw a couple of flat chested ballgirls on the main court, Tiriac should step up and be more selective, the minimum standard should be 34D.

so maybe they should measure the women's chests and the men's biceps ... what should the minimum biceps size be?

Cesc Fabregas
05-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Models are very athletic and are used to being on their knees for extended periods of time.

Agreed:).

Love Game
05-11-2009, 11:57 PM
^ How utterly 'Christian' of you to place certain physical attributes, money, and financial profit ahead of the dreams of neighbourhood children...

hasn't it always been a tennis tradition to use children from the local tennis community? children under, say, 18 years old? as a method of involving them in the tournament?

otoh, does tiriac himself even live in madrid? having ball bims as tiriac's legacy doesn't seem to be a plus for the tennis tradition imo. it was one thing when it was just a men's tournament, but do the female athletes really appreciate the ball bims cleavage the same way the male players do? i wouldnt think so. they might appreciate ball himbos with tight pants, tho. don't they deserve the same kind of "service"? :D

Love Game
05-12-2009, 12:04 AM
As a heterosexual male, I don't care how the men look.

i was thinking of it more from the point of view of the players. i remember some of the male players saying that the ball bims when madrid was hard court in 2008 were distracting.

now, since the body fat of female athletes is less than "regular" females, i would assume the female players wouldnt appreciate the ball bims' cleavage. otoh, they might appreciate ball boys with biceps of a certain size plus spandex bike pants ..... as a comparable enticement.

hot sauce for goose = hot sauce for gander :D

shadows
05-12-2009, 12:12 AM
The hiring of boys and girls that will be working at the Mutua Madrileņa Madrid Open will start this Sunday 29th March. Children will undertake speed, accuracy and tennis knowledge tests. This process will continue next week as the casting to choose the ball-boys models starts the 2nd of April.

This year male and female models will work as ball-boys because the Tournament will be combined, tha is, both men and women are playing. So the number of ball-boys to participate this year in Mutua Madrileņa Madrid Open will be made up by 150 children, 30 female and 30 male models.

Friday March 27, 2009
The boys and girls selection will take place this Saturday and Sunday morning in the Club Campo Villa de Madrid. After the tests, 150 children will be chosen to participate during the 10 days competition.

“Although they are very young, these children are very professional and their role is fundamental in the tournament. We make them speed tests, accuracy ball tests, we measure their tennis knowledge and we simulate a real match. This children level must be impeccable”, declares Manolo Santana, the Mutua Madrileņa Madrid Open director.

There will also be once again 30 male and 30 female models from L’Oreal. The models casting will take place next week. All the selected, children and models, will take a training
course during two weeks where the ball-boys chief and his assistants will show them all the secrets and tricks that they will need to help the best tennis players in the world: Nadal, Federer, Serena Williams and more.

it's not like the kids get left out, we just get some extra eye candy

cucio
05-12-2009, 12:46 AM

:rimshot: :lol:

Now seriously, pretty as they might be, the models are slow and clumsy as cows when you see them side to side with your usual ballkid, more so when there are elite athletes performing in the house. That enhances the perception of models as useless flowerpots and tarnishes their beauty, which is better served when visual appearance is the main focus. I don't think it becomes neither the event, nor the models.

Love Game
05-12-2009, 12:57 AM

thx for the article. i assume it's from the official website? :)

just to clarify: who's the "we" who's getting the "eye candy"???

my point is that if theyre gonna go to the extent of hiring models as eye candy for the guys, then then need to hire eye candy for the girls ... they say they hired 30 each of male and female adults, but as i posted those pictures, it's not so much their hair (l'oreal is a hair product company) that's the attraction. iow, the female loreal models are wearing as in the OP, BUT the male loreal models are wearing as in the OP too, IOW, the male models should also be scantily clad in order to qualify as "eye candy" :lol:

Deuce
05-12-2009, 01:05 AM
30 male and 30 female adult models.

Correct my math if it's wrong, but that means 60 fewer spots as ball boys/girls for local kids. I believe that's significant.

To put the focus on appearance and the superficial at the expense of children is wrong in every way imaginable.

35ft6
05-12-2009, 01:36 AM
I like seeing girls in short skirts, but watching the models pick up balls is kind of annoying after a while. I see now that having ball kids is cool not simply cuz a kid will appreciate the experience of working in the heat for no pay more than an adult, but since they're shorter, they pick up balls quicker and way easier.

shadows
05-12-2009, 01:54 AM
just to clarify: who's the "we" who's getting the "eye candy"???

IOW, the male models should also be scantily clad in order to qualify as "eye candy" :lol:

haha, well, the we is the viewership in general. I wouldn't say being scantily clad is a necessity for being classified as eye candy, it's not like you need to see someone in a state of undress to appreciate them physically. ^^

I see your point (although I don't really think the models are that scantily clad), maybe the guys will wear short shorts for you =p

Correct my math if it's wrong, but that means 60 fewer spots as ball boys/girls for local kids. I believe that's significant.

To put the focus on appearance and the superficial at the expense of children is wrong in every way imaginable.

I'm not saying that there aren't less spots for the kids, I'm just pointing out that there are still kids involved to those who appeared to be of the belief that they were excluded entirely as a result of this.

It's nice to "think of the children" but the tournament needs to make money too, particularly when they are aiming to develop themselves as a bigger event in the calendar. A focus on appearance for marketing anything is a sound strategy; sex sells, and the more exposure an event gets the better it's going to do.

babbette
05-12-2009, 02:38 AM
does anybody have anymore pictures of the ballmen?

this is disapointing and sexist:mad: the men spectators get T &A (titties and ***) but the women get nothing.:mad: At least make sure the men are toned,and wear tank tops:mad:

I haven't read everything regarding this, but I think it would be a good idea to maybe just use models for one or two days tp keep their tradition and then get down to using ball kids for the rest of the week when competition gets tougher.

Dutch-Guy
05-12-2009, 02:41 AM

lmao.You mean Pamela Anderson-like chicks? :)

cucio
05-12-2009, 02:43 AM
I like seeing girls in short skirts, but watching the models pick up balls is kind of annoying after a while. I see now that having ball kids is cool simply cuz a kid will appreciate the experience of working in the heat for no pay more than an adult, but since they're shorter, they pick up balls quicker and way easier.

Exactly. When you see one of the girls in action you don't think "wow, what a glorious specimen of the female gender, shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?", you think "arrgh, for Rafa's sake, pick up the darn ball already and gerroff the court, you sorry cow".

Underhand
05-12-2009, 02:51 AM
lmao.You mean Pamela Anderson-like chicks? :)

No friggin silicone! Only natural talents.

vtmike
05-12-2009, 03:44 AM
What's wrong with this? I would get rid of the ballboys though...Can you imagine ballboys spoiling the image below...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_03/BallgirlsBARC_800x533.jpg

Murray seems to like it too,

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dhOfZm3V54cz/610x.jpg

seffina
05-12-2009, 03:54 AM
It's not like you need to see someone in a state of undress to appreciate them physically.You don't? Then why the tight tanktops for the girls? Not to emphasize their breasts?

It's fine if people enjoy it, but call it what it is. I voted against it mainly because I find the tennis entertaining enough that don't need all the other distractions. But the ball models don't even register with me until they mess up, so I can live with it just fine. I understand the business aspect and wanting to make your tournament unique. Whatever. Don't care much if there are guys in speedos and girls in thongs giving out balls, I would rather watch the players.

Poll results do tell a lot about this forum. Disappointing.

deltox
05-12-2009, 07:23 AM
by looks of the votes it appears the general public has spoken on this issue. and since the millions come from the sponsor in this worldwide reccession, i say let them be naked!!!!!!

sureshs
05-12-2009, 07:31 AM
It elicited protests the first year. Now it seems to have been accepted. It was uncomfortable watching a Marid match on TTC the other day with my son beside me. He thinks tennis is boring so it doesn't happen often. But it does make for awkward moments.

I am more concerned with the ED ads on TV. They are showing up everywhere and at all times and I always wondered if I was the only one feeling embarrassed watching them around children. Finally, a few days ago a Democratic senator expressed a desire to ban these ads. I fully support it.

sureshs
05-12-2009, 07:39 AM

What if the models resulted in bringing more money which was then used to promote tennis to neighborhood kids?

Underhand
05-12-2009, 07:55 AM

Murray to ballgirl: "It's small but playful"

Cesc Fabregas
05-12-2009, 07:56 AM
What's wrong with this? I would get rid of the ballboys though...Can you imagine ballboys spoiling the image below...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_03/BallgirlsBARC_800x533.jpg

Murray seems to like it too,

These ballgirls should be the ballgirls in every ATP event.

Frodo Baggins
05-12-2009, 08:34 AM
:roll: When Will You Guys GROW UP:rolleyes:.. An stop acting Like Lill Boys That Never Seen Girls before!!!:confused:

seffina
05-12-2009, 08:53 AM
It's okay, Frodo, we get enough eye candy with the tennis players themselves. (Not saying it's my primary or secondary or even tertiary reason for watching, but if the heterosexual females or homosexual males were so inclined, there are a good number of attractive male tennis players. Quite a bit more attractive than a few of those models.) :)

Kaptain Karl
05-12-2009, 09:27 AM
^ How utterly 'Christian' of you to place certain physical attributes, money, and financial profit ahead of the dreams of neighbourhood children...a) You misrepresent my POV. (Typically.)

b) You can host your own tournament and run it how you see fit. I'm sure someone with your vast expertise will run a flawless tourney.

hasn't it always been a tennis tradition to use children from the local tennis community? children under, say, 18 years old? as a method of involving them in the tournament?No. Not always.

... do the female athletes really appreciate the ball bims cleavage the same way the male players do? i wouldnt think so. they might appreciate ball himbos with tight pants, tho. don't they deserve the same kind of "service"? :DCan you really be this obtuse -- or are you just stirring the pot? The models are not " for the players." They give the tourney a distinction which generates Press for the sponsors. (C'mon!)

What if the models resulted in bringing more money which was then used to promote tennis to neighborhood kids?Some would still find something wrong with that. (Stop trying to be sensible. This is TT!!!)

- KK

Cyan
05-12-2009, 09:32 AM

:lol:

Frodo Baggins
05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Steffena I'll say.. Yess Male Tennis players Are Wayy More exciting An Better looking!!! Like Tommy :D ;)

sureshs
05-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Steffena I'll say.. Yess Male Tennis players Are Wayy More exciting An Better looking!!! Like Tommy :D ;)

Personally, I would go with Radek Stepanek, but that is just me.

Frodo Baggins
05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
You Would go With BARNEY:shock: Sweet Yess Barney The Man.. But Tommys The REAL Man!!! ;) Anyways Barney Would'nt Choose me!! I'm not His Type.. But I'm Tommys Type!!! ;)

35ft6
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Exactly. When you see one of the girls in action you don't think "wow, what a glorious specimen of the female gender, shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?", you think "arrgh, for Rafa's sake, pick up the darn ball already and gerroff the court, you sorry cow". Plus, their knees and legs are so skinny I'm afraid they're going to get hurt every time they bend down.

There's a tournament in South America, a smaller clay court event, it might have "Marina" in the name, they also use hot girls but their ball girls are much hotter. Fashion models are often stunning in person, but give me a 5'4" bikini model over a 6 foot tall runway girl any day. Actually, the South American tournament, their girls are way more titillating and distracting. All cute, tanned, and glistening with sweat. Something very sterile, almost counter sexual about the girls in Madrid.

Deuce
05-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm not saying that there aren't less spots for the kids, I'm just pointing out that there are still kids involved to those who appeared to be of the belief that they were excluded entirely as a result of this.

It's nice to "think of the children" but the tournament needs to make money too, particularly when they are aiming to develop themselves as a bigger event in the calendar. A focus on appearance for marketing anything is a sound strategy; sex sells, and the more exposure an event gets the better it's going to do.
^ As at least one other poster has mentioned, tennis should sell tennis, not sex.

The further we, as a civilization, enter the realm of accepting sex selling things that are completely unrelated to sexuality, and thus justifying this practice, the more unhealthy we become as a civilization.
It's a very slippery slope - and not one I wish to pass on to the next generation.

What if the models resulted in bringing more money which was then used to promote tennis to neighborhood kids?
^ This would be a bassackwards way of doing it.
If the money made from sales of cocaine were put toward anti-drug education at a youth centre, would it justify selling cocaine?
An extreme analogy, perhaps, but the idea is the same.

The ends justifying the means is a very dangerous way to live.

a) You misrepresent my POV. (Typically.)

b) You can host your own tournament and run it how you see fit. I'm sure someone with your vast expertise will run a flawless tourney.

- KK
^ The only thing 'typical' here is the evasiveness and arrogance of your response.

It is not I who is misrepresenting your response... it is you who misrepresents your so called 'Christian values'.
Your response that having the models there is good because it brings in money, and so is justifiable - combined with your disregard for the local kids in this matter - seems to be inconsistent with at least a couple of Christian values.
But then, it's not exactly news when the behaviour of a person claiming to belong to a religious order is inconsistent with the values of that religion...

Kaptain Karl
05-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Deuce, you should stick to posting about things you know about. (Oh, wait. That would seriously cut down on your posts, wouldn't it....)

Host your own tourney. I'm sure you'd be great at it.

- KK

Deuce
05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Deuce, you should stick to posting about things you know about. (Oh, wait. That would seriously cut down on your posts, wouldn't it....)

Host your own tourney. I'm sure you'd be great at it.

- KK
Thank you for being consistent with your evasiveness, KK, as it spares me from having to further point out your hypocrisy and thus not only risk you deleting my posts, but also wasting my time.

Kaptain Karl
05-13-2009, 04:25 AM
Let us know when "Deuce's Prime Example of a Virtuous Tournament" is. Please hurry. I'm sure we're all breathless with anticipation.

- KK

Deuce
05-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Let us know when "Deuce's Prime Example of a Virtuous Tournament" is. Please hurry. I'm sure we're all breathless with anticipation.

- KK
^ Another wonderful yet weak attempt to take the focus off of your utter hypocrisy... and ugly arrogance.

Kaptain Karl
05-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Okay, Deuce. It's time to defend your charge against me.

Here's what I posted regarding the topic:It's become one of the distinguishing features of the Madrid tourney. (Where have you been?)

- KK

Somehow, from that you decided to post this:^ How utterly 'Christian' of you to place certain physical attributes, money, and financial profit ahead of the dreams of neighbourhood children...a) How can you pretend to divine my Christian values the way you did from my post?

b) Where did I claim I was creating the hierarchy you pretended I expressed? (I didn't.)

c) In your next posts you accuse me of "hypocrisy". Please point out where and how I have been inconsistent or hypocritical. (You cannot.)

Lastly, when is your Deuce's Virtuous Tournament? C'mon. Show us how it ought to be....

- KK

sureshs
05-14-2009, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=Deuce;3413177If the money made from sales of cocaine were put toward anti-drug education at a youth centre, would it justify selling cocaine?
An extreme analogy, perhaps, but the idea is the same.

The ends justifying the means is a very dangerous way to live.
[/QUOTE]

I know what you are saying. I was watching a match yesterday and my son was beside me, and they showed a close up of one of the girls, and I winced.

But my objection to it would have been that it is using sex appeal for tennis - which seems to be your objection now. I just didn't understand why the neighborhood kid issue is so important. I don't even know if I agree with using ball kids any more. They should be in school or studying at home or playing their own thing, not picking up balls for no wage or minimum wage in the hot sun.

Also, in the USO, you cannot hire only kids. Adults have to be given the chance, and there have been stories about men more than 30 years old working as ball boys.

35ft6
05-14-2009, 10:56 AM
There is a lot less skin in tennis then there used to be. Men used to wear butt hugger shorts, and the women's skirts were super short!http://sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/chris_evert_tennis5.jpg
That's much shorter than what girls wear in LA clubs. And those girls were wearing pretty much panties underneath, now the women wear sports shorts. The skirts got longer and panties disappeared in the past 10 years or so. Still pictures out there of Hingis, Kournikova, Steffi,etc, with massive wedgies.

Lets face it, far as women go, if they're good looking, no matter what they're wearing or doing, somebody will find it arousing. Scantily clad? Hot. Covered up like librarian? Hot. Feminine in sun dress? Hot. Tom boy in jeans and tshirt? Hot. Eating a banana? Hot. Eating matzo ball soup? Hot. Doesn't matter. Look at the extremes some muslims go to make women not hot, and some think even exposing the eyes is too much.

I really don't see anything scandalous about the way the ball girls look. They're dressed just like female the players. And I think it's cute how serious they take it. You would think that in regular life men everywhere are waiting on them hand and foot, they coast through life, but here they are playing a subordinate role on a tennis court for free and taking it very seriously and doing a good job even if little kids are better for ball pickup than girls with giraffe legs.

cucio
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
but here they are playing a subordinate role on a tennis court for free

Somehow I doubt very much that they are doing it for free.

David_Is_Right
05-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Options two and five in the poll are exactly the same...

35ft6
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Somehow I doubt very much that they are doing it for free.If they're getting paid, I'm sure it doesn't amount to much more than a fat per diem.

edit: From an article in 2004:"The models are doing a job and are being paid for it - around 1,200 euros. It's the fruit of a sponsorship deal."At current rates, that's about $1560. So that's decent. My bad.

Cyan
05-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Personally, I would go with Radek Stepanek, but that is just me.

lol............................................... ..................................................

tacou
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
disappointing amount of pics in this thread

stormholloway
05-14-2009, 02:30 PM
It's interesting that people seem to take offense to this particular instance in which sex appeal is used for business purposes when it is as common as a hot dog at a baseball game. Think of 95% of movies you've seen, cheerleaders at football games, magazine covers, soap stars, news anchors--the list goes on.

So this one tourney uses pretty girls to pick up balls. Get over it.

bladepdb
05-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Haha you can clearyl tell most of the ppl posting here are guys.

Deuce
05-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Okay, Deuce. It's time to defend your charge against me.
^ It is rather clearly self evident. Even if you don't / can't admit it.

Here's what I posted regarding the topic:

Somehow, from that you decided to post this:a) How can you pretend to divine my Christian values the way you did from my post? ^ Based on what you've revealed of your supposed 'Christian values' on this board over the years, and based on what is commonly known as Christian values, it is quite easy.

b) Where did I claim I was creating the hierarchy you pretended I expressed? (I didn't.)

c) In your next posts you accuse me of "hypocrisy". Please point out where and how I have been inconsistent or hypocritical. (You cannot.)
^ Interesting how you jump in with your defensive posturing "(I didn't)", "(you cannot)" before you give me the chance to answer. From this, we can see that you are poised not to have a fair and honest discussion on the matter - because you've already reached your conclusion - that is very clear in your writing of "I didn't" and "you cannot".
So these questions from you are far from legitimate. They are merely a charade... nothing more than part of your continued manipulation.

And you expect me to participate in this little game of yours by doing what you ask of me?
Think again.

Lastly, when is your Deuce's Virtuous Tournament? C'mon. Show us how it ought to be....

^ I've clearly hit a nerve.
Good.

I know what you are saying. I was watching a match yesterday and my son was beside me, and they showed a close up of one of the girls, and I winced.

But my objection to it would have been that it is using sex appeal for tennis - which seems to be your objection now.
^ It is one of my objections.
The other - which you address below - is the 'kid angle'.
I think my two objections tie in to each other.

I just didn't understand why the neighborhood kid issue is so important. I don't even know if I agree with using ball kids any more. They should be in school or studying at home or playing their own thing, not picking up balls for no wage or minimum wage in the hot sun.
^ No - they shouldn't be "in school studying". They are not businessmen. Childhood is the time for fun and explorations. Being ball kids allows them into a priviledged arena with a unique access to the world's best players.
I think it's safe to say that this experience is far more valued by a child than by an adult 'model' who knows virtually nothing about tennis.
At least I'm hoping that the 'models' are adults. Some of the photos I've seen have me wondering...

Also, in the USO, you cannot hire only kids. Adults have to be given the chance, and there have been stories about men more than 30 years old working as ball boys.
^ Yeah - that's also wrong - but not to the degree of the models, because it is not removing something from the kids in order to promore the irrelevant and superficial, and because I assume that those adults doing the 'ball person' work at the U.S. Open are at least legitimate tennis fans - which these 'models' very likely are not.

Still, though - kids will appreciate the experience more than will adults. That's what kids do.

tacou
05-15-2009, 07:19 AM
where is scantily clad coming from? th girls dresses go almost to their knees and are showing very little cleavage.

seffina
05-15-2009, 07:25 AM
I agree with you, tacou. I was watching last year's Queens tourny before bed last night and the ball girls there (while not models at all) were wearing the same type of outfits. The WTA players wear much scanter clothes than this. My problem with the models is a lack of tennis acumen and athletic reflexes. But they're not too bad, so live and let live I suppose.

sureshs
05-15-2009, 02:32 PM
^ It is rather clearly self evident. Even if you don't / can't admit it.

^ Based on what you've revealed of your supposed 'Christian values' on this board over the years, and based on what is commonly known as Christian values, it is quite easy.

^ Interesting how you jump in with your defensive posturing "(I didn't)", "(you cannot)" before you give me the chance to answer. From this, we can see that you are poised not to have a fair and honest discussion on the matter - because you've already reached your conclusion - that is very clear in your writing of "I didn't" and "you cannot".
So these questions from you are far from legitimate. They are merely a charade... nothing more than part of your continued manipulation.

And you expect me to participate in this little game of yours by doing what you ask of me?
Think again.

^ I've clearly hit a nerve.
Good.

^ It is one of my objections.
The other - which you address below - is the 'kid angle'.
I think my two objections tie in to each other.

^ No - they shouldn't be "in school studying". They are not businessmen. Childhood is the time for fun and explorations. Being ball kids allows them into a priviledged arena with a unique access to the world's best players.
I think it's safe to say that this experience is far more valued by a child than by an adult 'model' who knows virtually nothing about tennis.
At least I'm hoping that the 'models' are adults. Some of the photos I've seen have me wondering...

^ Yeah - that's also wrong - but not to the degree of the models, because it is not removing something from the kids in order to promore the irrelevant and superficial, and because I assume that those adults doing the 'ball person' work at the U.S. Open are at least legitimate tennis fans - which these 'models' very likely are not.

Still, though - kids will appreciate the experience more than will adults. That's what kids do.

What if the same philosophy was followed in all events? Football and baseball games should use kid ushers, museums staging a Guggenheim week should have kid volunteers, army base should have kid's week to see how soldiers train, etc etc. For different people, different things are more important than going to school. So every school week, kids should be out of school doing something that they will really cherish later in life, because school is boring and childhood is about fun. What is so special about tennis?

CCNM
05-15-2009, 02:57 PM

But my objection to it would have been that it is using sex appeal for tennis - which seems to be your objection now. I just didn't understand why the neighborhood kid issue is so important. I don't even know if I agree with using ball kids any more. They should be in school or studying at home or playing their own thing, not picking up balls for no wage or minimum wage in the hot sun.

Here here!!!!! I say let ball person tryouts be held for people of all ages!!!!! Why should kids (I'm talking about those under age 14) have all the fun???:|