PDA

View Full Version : If Nadal loses at the FO, will it a GOAT Upset??

svijk
05-12-2009, 07:26 AM
I saw the Top 5 upsets of all time on TTC and the biggest upset of all time turned out to be Sampras at Wimbledon, beaten by Bastl on Court 1 in 2002.

If the Sampras match (he played past his peak there) gets the top spot for now, IMO a Nadal loss to whoever, in whichever round at Roland Garros this year should blow Sampras off the top spot.

No one player in history has been so dominant (although on one surface) for such an extended time (including Borg)

woodrow1029
05-12-2009, 07:58 AM
I saw the Top 5 upsets of all time on TTC and the biggest upset of all time turned out to be Sampras at Wimbledon, beaten by Bastl on Court 1 in 2002.

If the Sampras match (he played past his peak there) gets the top spot for now, IMO a Nadal loss to whoever, in whichever round at Roland Garros this year should blow Sampras off the top spot.

No one player in history has been so dominant (although on one surface) for such an extended time (including Borg)
It was Court 2 that Pete lost on, not Court 1.

NamRanger
05-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Yes, especially if it happens to Federer of all people since he has playing badly (gameplay wise, not results wise) this year.

The-Champ
05-12-2009, 08:08 AM
That was probably the first time Pete had set foot on that court. It was alien to him. He was also far from his very best at the time. It wasn't that big of an upset IMO.

If Rafa loses at any stage at this year's FO, then yes, that would be the worst upset ever. Björn's record will be preserved for another generation. Every Fed and Sampras fan will go to the nearest bar, celebrate, and get drunk.

thejoe
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
^I wouldn't. I don't hate Nadal.

mandy01
05-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I wont celebrate.Of course not.I only celebrate my favourite player's wins.Anyway,I dont see Nadal losing FO for atleast this year and the next..After that..we'll see.

Ratsoup
05-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I'd go to the bar alright.

Btw, could you guys explain to me what this expression "GOAT" means? I've been reading this forum for a while now, and kind of understand the meaning by now, but not what it exactly means. :)

thejoe
05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
^Greatest of all time.

bluetrain4
05-12-2009, 10:19 AM
It would have to be in an early round to some random player for it to be in the top 5 greatest upsets.

Yes, any loss by Nadal this year at Roland Garros would be an "upset" but if he loses to Fed or Murray or Djokovic in the SFs or finals, or even if he loses to someone like Monfils or Ferrero or some solid claycourter in the 4th Rnd, it wouldn't really qualify as the the greatest upset of all time, or the top 5.

veroniquem
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't know about GOAT but it would be a major upset for sure.

RoddickAce
05-12-2009, 11:00 AM
That was probably the first time Pete had set foot on that court. It was alien to him. He was also far from his very best at the time. It wasn't that big of an upset IMO.

If Rafa loses at any stage at this year's FO, then yes, that would be the worst upset ever. Björn's record will be preserved for another generation. Every Fed and Sampras fan will go to the nearest bar, celebrate, and get drunk.

Why would Sampras fans celebrate? Wouldn't they NOT be happy since Federer would have a better chance of winnign the FO if Nadal was taken out?:confused:

Moose Malloy
05-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes, any loss by Nadal this year at Roland Garros would be an "upset" but if he loses to Fed or Murray or Djokovic in the SFs or finals, or even if he loses to someone like Monfils or Ferrero or some solid claycourter in the 4th Rnd, it wouldn't really qualify as the the greatest upset of all time, or the top 5.

not so sure about that. look at ashe-connors '75 W or majoli-hingis '97 FO. both are widely considered among the biggest upsets of all-time & they were both finals & were both losses against players ranked in the top 10 at the time (& ashe had won majors before) at the time. and connors & hingis weren't nearly as dominant as nadal is now.

The way to really judge how big an upset is, is by how long the odds are with the bookies(like in boxing. most fans still know what the odds were when Ali shocked the world & when Douglas beat Tyson)

I casually follow tennis odds, & the odds Nadal is getting these days are insane(sort of similar to Fed in '06/'07) You can retire(or at least take a nice vacation, maybe to Roland Garros) if you put $100 on Melzer beating Nadal tomorrow & it actually happens.

nadal is 1-6 right now to win the french. I think that's the biggest favorite I've seen with the oddsmakers at any major in the last 20 years(at least with the men. graf may have been a bigger favorite at some of the majors in '88 & '89)

fed & djokovic are only 8-1. that's a big dropoff for players considered the '2nd favorite' with the bookies. the only way to make money by betting on nadal at the french is by betting on how many sets he will lose.

dincuss
05-12-2009, 02:24 PM
It would be huge upset, but very unlikely unless djoko turns it up a notch

All-rounder
05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
It would be huge upset, but very unlikely unless djoko turns it up a notch
Well he did turn it up a notch and managed to take nadal to 7-5 last year which was his toughest match

egn
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
The only way this would the GOAT upset of all time is if it was to Fed in a fifth set that went like 21-19 or something or he loses first round. Either one of those. The rest it would be huge probably make top 5 but not be top spot.

Mansewerz
05-12-2009, 03:51 PM
If Nadal loses at FO, I dunno how i'll feel, unless he loses to Federer!

And....

If Federer wins FO this year, I will be extremely happy!!!!

GameSampras
05-12-2009, 03:53 PM
I dunno... Nadal is about due for an RG loss. Hes been TOO DOMINANT on clay. To the point where it is pathetic to watch clay court tennis today. Truely pathetic

egn
05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I dunno... Nadal is about due for an RG loss. Hes been TOO DOMINANT on clay. To the point where it is pathetic to watch clay court tennis today. Truely pathetic

Telling you Fed wins as Bjorn Borg has this whole set up where hehas paid both parties and a few other involved parties so neither break his records but they both tie it so he can still claim a shot at GOAT status..

or Nadal wins his fifth straight and Borg starts to sell all his French Open trophies now instead of the wimbledon ones.

musicalmedic81
05-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I can see it being the greatest upset of all time if he lost in the first rd to a qualifier, someone like nishikori or donald young, or scoville jenkins, or even a european like starace or bolelli. But anyone who has had great success in the past (ie Ferrero, Safin) can catch fire for one match and it while it would be totally unexpected it still wouldnt be the upset of the century or anything. It would have to be somebody really random. Think michael russell or olivier rochus. THAT would be the GOAT upset.

NotSoSuper
05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
It would be a huge upset or possible the greatest no matter who he loses to.

To bad he wont lose though

West Coast Ace
05-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Yes, especially if it happens to Federer of all people since he has playing badly (gameplay wise, not results wise) this year.That would make it more ironic. Or 'delicious' to Dick Enberg... :)

That was probably the first time Pete had set foot on that court. It was alien to him. Oh, please! Excuses and $0.50 will get you a bad cup of coffee. First off, I doubt that's true - he didn't win Wimby his first time there. And if Sampras wasn't smart enough to practice on Ct. 2 'just in case' then he's dumber than a rock - Wimby has a tradition of occasionally putting top players on 2.

If Rafa wins Madrid, I wonder what the odds will be at RG. I bet you'll have to bet 5 to win 3 or 4.

TennisPassion5
05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Nadal has never lost a match at the French Open, and did it last year without dropping a set. Therefore, it has no chance of happening. If it was to happen(but it won't), only Nole could be the one to do it.

FD3S
05-12-2009, 04:47 PM
If Nadal loses at the FO, it would be a pretty big upset - probably on par with Sampras/Bastl.

Now, if Nadal were to lose at the FO to say, Roddick, I predict that TT's servers would ****ing explode.

TheNatural
05-12-2009, 10:12 PM
What about if Federer lost first round. Would it be Federer's biggest upset loss above this one:

Qualifier stuns Federer; routine rout for Venus (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/02wim/2002-06-25-roundup.htm)

By Stephen Wilson, The Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England — An 18-year-old qualifier from Croatia shook up Wimbledon on Tuesday with the first major upset.

Mario Ancic, ranked No. 154 and playing his first Grand Slam match, outplayed seventh-seed Roger Federer 6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-3 on Centre Court.

120mphBodyServe
05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Can we please put a cork on the endless stream of BS, i mean, threads, about how great nadal is and how much federer sucks?

I don't want to hear this crap anymore, UNTIL.......

..nadal can hit a ball with one hand on his backhand
..nadal can get away from the baseline and come to the net (excluding saving a dropshot)
..nadal can win a tennis game without polyester
..nadal can dominate for 4 years without a coach
..nadal can get more than six winners in a match
..nadal can keep his mouth shut while hitting the ball
..and until you all grow up.

thanks

The-Champ
05-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I'd go to the bar alright.

Btw, could you guys explain to me what this expression "GOAT" means? I've been reading this forum for a while now, and kind of understand the meaning by now, but not what it exactly means. :)

When someone labels Sampras GOAT...they mean GREEK OF ALL TIME.

The-Champ
05-12-2009, 11:57 PM
What about if Federer lost first round. Would it be Federer's biggest upset loss above this one:

Qualifier stuns Federer; routine rout for Venus (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/02wim/2002-06-25-roundup.htm)

By Stephen Wilson, The Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England — An 18-year-old qualifier from Croatia shook up Wimbledon on Tuesday with the first major upset.

Mario Ancic, ranked No. 154 and playing his first Grand Slam match, outplayed seventh-seed Roger Federer 6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-3 on Centre Court.

And then Nadal schooled Ancic at wimbledon the following year. That was Rafa's first match at Wimbledon I think.

TheNatural
05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
He will if he loses 12 times in a row to the other big 3. Because he would be a clown to stick to the same game after that many losses in a row :shock:

Until then figure out a long list of fixes for Fed's game

Can we please put a cork on the endless stream of BS, i mean, threads, about how great nadal is and how much federer sucks?

I don't want to hear this crap anymore, UNTIL.......

..nadal can hit a ball with one hand on his backhand
..nadal can get away from the baseline and come to the net (excluding saving a dropshot)
..nadal can win a tennis game without polyester
..nadal can dominate for 4 years without a coach
..nadal can get more than six winners in a match
..nadal can keep his mouth shut while hitting the ball
..and until you all grow up.

thanks