PDA

View Full Version : Wow Roddick has a crappy draw

musicalmedic81
05-12-2009, 04:06 PM
He's got Haas up first, who he has a losing record against and has never beaten on clay, possibly davydenko in the 3rd rd, then possibly Federer in the qtrs and Murray in the semis should he get that far. What a way to come back from a honeymoon on your least favorite surface.

rubberduckies
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Steve Tignor predicts that Roddick will be the semifinalist in Madrid.

clayman2000
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM

I predict he will make the finals..... lol if that happened i will quit my life and become a homeless man

NotSoSuper
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Im looking forward to the Roddick vs Haas match but he just doesnt have the game to get the semis..

chief wiggum
05-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Roddick has been playing well this year, but I think this draw is a little bit too much for him on clay.

Joseph L. Barrow
05-12-2009, 08:02 PM
This would be a bad draw for Roddick even if the tournament was on a fast hardcourt and he was completely sharp and active. Since, instead, it's a clay court event going into which he hasn't played in over a month, things look pretty daunting from his perspective for sure. Just a win over Haas tomorrow would qualify this as a solid result for him, considering the circumstances.

deltox
05-12-2009, 08:23 PM
i can see roddick beating haas handily, but davydenko would be a challenge, but not out of the question. now the rest of the draw for him is kinda a long shot, but at least he can win a few rounds to get some momentum back

o and just because i cared to find out, i found a guy with a worst record against fed than roddick.

davydenko is 0-12 vs fed

Magix
05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
i can see roddick beating haas handily, but davydenko would be a challenge, but not out of the question. now the rest of the draw for him is kinda a long shot, but at least he can win a few rounds to get some momentum back
Andy's chances of beating Tommy "handily" on clay are pretty slim. They've had 4 matches on clay, and Haas has won them all.

What makes you think Roddick can dispatch of Haas so easily on the clay?

Sir Andrew of Roddick
05-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Roddick is actually getting better on clay, it's so slow he's got plenty of time to plant for the forehand, and that loopy forehand works better on clay than any other surface.

batz
05-13-2009, 07:13 AM
The Madrid clay seems pretty quick and receptive to a big serve - Karlovic has served 26 aces so far in his match v Blake.

If Roddick can hit similar numbers and get the 'whippy' forehand going he could do OK here.

shadows
05-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Roddick will deal with Haas comfortably tonight imo, then it'll be tough vs davydenko though I could see him edging that given davy having been a little off lately and the clay here being fast.

we'll see/

Cyan
05-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Well these claycourts are very fast in Madrid so you never know............... :oops: :shock:

Joseph L. Barrow
05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
o and just because i cared to find out, i found a guy with a worst record against fed than roddick.

davydenko is 0-12 vs fed
There are an enormous number of players with worse records against Federer than Roddick's, though you wouldn't know it from reading a lot of the stuff that goes around on this forum. Out of the current top 20, Del Potro, Verdasco, Davydenko, Monfils, Gonzalez, Ferrer, Blake, and Robredo all have worse records against Federer than Roddick does- technically Tsonga and Cilic do as well, but since they've each only played him once, I didn't think it was a fair sample. Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Simon, Nalbandian, Wawrinka, Stepanek and Safin have better records against Federer than Roddick.

In other words, eight top 20 players have better records than Roddick against Federer, eight have worse ones, and the other two have only played him once apiece, but would have to count in the "worse" category if we included them. Note, also, that most of the guys who, like Roddick, are from the same tennis generation as Federer (Verdasco, Davydenko, Gonzalez, Ferrer, Blake, Robredo)- meaning the guys who had to play him right from the time he came into his best- are among those with worse records against Federer than Roddick's, Nalbandian being the only exception. Roddick's record against Federer is not outstandingly bad at all- it is actually above average for peers of Federer. I think Roddick takes so much more severe a degree and intensity of criticism for his record against Federer than those guys do because Roddick has played Federer more total matches than they have (a result of having gotten to such a stage in the tournament more often), on a bigger scale (six Slam finals or semis) and with the media attempting to set them up as "rivals" and accordingly increasing the expectation for performance from Roddick.

burosky
05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
I predict he will make the finals..... lol if that happened i will quit my life and become a homeless man

Be careful making statements like this. Stranger things have happened in the past. :)

tacou
05-13-2009, 06:15 PM
tough match tonight but he pulled through with some decent clay court tennis. Davy looked iffish today but it will be hard for Roddick to win. should be interesting!

JayChu
05-13-2009, 07:07 PM
looking forward to tomorrow's match against davydenko. he got lucky by saving those two MPs.
hopefully he'll be rested enough to beat him...too bad i wont get to watch it >.<