PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta People Where Are You??

SourStraws
05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Anybody here in the Atlanta area (Specifically Gwinnett) like to practice at any local park. Im seriously tired of practicing by myself. If anybody also knows of any academies I'd appreciate it!

I guess I'd rate myself between a 3.5-4.0 NTRP

S.S.

Slicendicer
05-12-2009, 07:56 PM
try Hudlow TC @ Best Friend park or Rhodes Jordan TC or Mountain Park TC. Either will have a lot of tennis any evening and sign up sheets for teams/hitting partners. If you need lessons, I know some of the best coaches in ATL, just let me know. If you looking for a hitting partner, Dave Matthews @ Mt. Park will hit for like $30-40 an hour... he is a great serve and volley player/coach and a 12 time USTA Open champ. You can Google to contact him, call Hudlow, or send me an email. Peace.

SourStraws
05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Um....If Dave Matthews is the tall white guy with the Capris, then Ik who you're talking about! Even so... Im kinda strapped for cash, meaning Im broke...But thanks for the recommendations. Ik of Mt. Park, but I never heard of Hudlow or Rhodes Jordan so thanks. Do you know if he has some kind of academy or camp during the summer though... School lets out in a week and I need to improve!

S.S.

Slicendicer
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Um....If Dave Matthews is the tall white guy with the Capris, then Ik who you're talking about! Even so... Im kinda strapped for cash, meaning Im broke...But thanks for the recommendations. Ik of Mt. Park, but I never heard of Hudlow or Rhodes Jordan so thanks. Do you know if he has some kind of academy or camp during the summer though... School lets out in a week and I need to improve!

S.S.

Yeah... Dave's like 6'6" 240ish... big dude, 1HBH. He's usually up there at Mt. Park, you can also call Hudlow and ask how to get in touch with Brian (teaching pro)... although he is a talkative character, he is a good guy to hit with. Dave's like a drill sargeant, he runs an academy and usually has a pretty good group of kids. If you're looking for advanced play, I can put you in contact with 2 academies with really good juniors and pro's frequent... let me know what you think.

SourStraws
05-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Um I contacted Dave today and he gave me details so I think Im going to try it out next week! Im pretty excited!! Even so, I wouldn't mind numbers of other academies...Do you live in GA?

S.S.

ced
05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Our group plays every weekday morning at Blackburn Tennis Center. See www.weplaytennis.com for details.

Slicendicer
05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Um I contacted Dave today and he gave me details so I think Im going to try it out next week! Im pretty excited!! Even so, I wouldn't mind numbers of other academies...Do you live in GA?

S.S.

Thats great. Let me know how it goes. How old are you? What is your true rating? I know some guys in ATL who would probably hit with you, if you can hold your own. Not meaning to sound like a jerk. The more tennis players you hit with will help to improve your tennis. I lived in ATL off and on for 12 years, I was luckily deeply entrenched in the tennis scene and made a lot of contacts/met a lot of people through working at 4 tennis centers, coaching juniors, officiating, and playing league tennis. Let me know. Peace.

SourStraws
05-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey...Im going somewhere else first because we're going for a vacation so my mom doesn't want me to start and have us not be there if that makes sense. Im going to be evaluated at Ashley Hobson Academy tmrw so I hope that turns out.

As for your questions:

NTRP: 3.5-4.0... Probably like a 3.7 I guess lol Idk
Estimated Time that Ive been playing: 9.5 months
Ranking: Non-Existent lol

I understand where you're coming from though, but I just want to get better and meet new people! If you could ask around or tell me where people play on a reg. basis, that would be great because there isn't really anybody here on my level (not saying Im amazing, but people in my area are into other sports), so if you could do that, that'd be great!

S.S.

Slicendicer
05-19-2009, 03:02 PM
any of the tennis centers should have a list of hitting partners.

Ashley Hobson... I haven't heard of that academy. I would never take tennis lessons from a chick, just my .02. Looks like they have some good players, so maybe you'll have a bit of good luck.

I'll email a few friends. Are you M/F? I know a lot of F tennis players.

SourStraws
05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm a male...And Ashley is a male also... I just found that out when I talked to him yesterday, but I thought initially he was a girl. Anyways, if you could do that, that'd be great. The only place I could go though is Mt. Park since thats the only place near me with decent courts. Briscoe is near me too, but the courts are horrible!! So Mt. Park is my best bet atm...My friends have been bailin out on me lately so I really appreciate this!

S.S.

spt
05-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Depending on where you live in Gwinnett, Collins Hill Athletic Club is a good place to play. Fairly inexpensive monthly fee, but club has a full fitness center, 12 hard courts and 4 clay. This week they are hosting the Div III NCAA womens championship. They had a pretty thriving academy, but I understand it may be moving, so a new group may start up.

SourStraws
05-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Depending on where you live in Gwinnett, Collins Hill Athletic Club is a good place to play. Fairly inexpensive monthly fee, but club has a full fitness center, 12 hard courts and 4 clay. This week they are hosting the Div III NCAA womens championship. They had a pretty thriving academy, but I understand it may be moving, so a new group may start up.

Ohh...I talked to some people and they said that the academy there wasn't that good so I was kinda confused! I played in a tourney last week so Ik the courts are nice, though.

S.S.

Slicendicer
05-22-2009, 03:27 PM
hey SS, no luck as of yet... folks are "too busy" or doing the summertime travel routine. Try give Dave a call and get a couple #'s of academy kids. Do you have a car?

Sleepstream
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I visit Buford almost weekly. I haven't really bothered to try finding partners around there, at least not yet.

It shouldn't be hard to find someone to play.

Run.
05-23-2009, 11:02 AM
I live about half a mile down the road from Hobson. Are you taking lessons with Chris Palmer or doing drills with Ashley? If you ever want to hit for awhile lmk.

thenjimmysaid
05-23-2009, 01:41 PM
try Hudlow TC @ Best Friend park or Rhodes Jordan TC or Mountain Park TC. Either will have a lot of tennis any evening and sign up sheets for teams/hitting partners. If you need lessons, I know some of the best coaches in ATL, just let me know. If you looking for a hitting partner, Dave Matthews @ Mt. Park will hit for like $30-40 an hour... he is a great serve and volley player/coach and a 12 time USTA Open champ. You can Google to contact him, call Hudlow, or send me an email. Peace.

Whoa huge coincidence, I used to get lessons from Dave Matthews last summer like every week or so, He's usually with Thomas Cook at Mountain Park...

jgn1013
05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
If you want matches, play T2 tennis singles for juniors. I think ALTA also has a tennis latter that's really competitive.

SourStraws
05-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey....Sorry it took so long to respond! But to Slice....Thanks anyways...And no I dont, but my mom takes me places lol. And to "Run" that'd be great! What NTRP are you? Out of the academy kids, Im the worst one lol, but it'd be appreciated if you would hit with me!

S.S.