PDA

View Full Version : When the opponent doesn't bring new balls

Grover Sparkman
05-12-2009, 04:55 PM
In my league, the team listed as the home team is responsible for bringing a new and unopened can of balls.

Tonight, my opponent who was the home team didn't live up to this obligation, and instead pulled out seven or eight used ones and graciously said 'take your pick.' Most of them were worn out, but I found two that would be suitable for match play.

I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be that guy, and he may have had a good reason; but it bugged me. Does this bug anyone else?

Cindysphinx
05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I would have opened my own can of balls.

He is clearly a charity case . . .

Grover Sparkman
05-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I didn't not bring any - as he was responsible. But you're right, in the future it's always good to bring a spare can. Lesson learned.

Cindysphinx
05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Say, Grover.

Are you one of those dudes who shows up for the match with next to no equipment?

I had this mixed doubles partner once. Young guy. He positively *oozed* cool. He showed up in a beat up T-shirt and one racket. Water, balls, towel, extra racket? These are for noobs, apparently.

You can tell us, Grover. Are you oozing cool?

beernutz
05-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Say, Grover.

Are you one of those dudes who shows up for the match with next to no equipment?

I had this mixed doubles partner once. Young guy. He positively *oozed* cool. He showed up in a beat up T-shirt and one racket. Water, balls, towel, extra racket? These are for noobs, apparently.

Huh, what's all that about? Grover is cool for not bringing balls to an away match?

Cindysphinx
05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
The less you bring to the match, the cooler you are.

Me, I show up with a can of balls, two rackets, a towel, extra socks, extra wristbands, extra contact lenses, contact lens solution, some cash, hair clips, a photocopy of the league rules, pony tail holders, kleenex and overgrips.

I'm not very cool.

Hokiez
05-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I take everything but the kitchen sink with me but I don't make it a habit of taking cans of balls to away matches. I'm not sure what is/isn't cool about it, little confused there.

Grover Sparkman
05-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Say, Grover.

:confused:

Nice generalization about someone you don't even know. I bet you're a real blast to play with if you treat your playing partners this well.

Anyway, to answer your question, I bring my shoes, socks, two racquets, new balls if I'm the home player. But if I'm an away player? I'm probably not going to buy a can of balls, nor am I going to waste new ones.

Sounds like your beef is with my opponent who didn't come prepared.

Cindysphinx
05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Beef?

I have no beef. I was being a little playful with a new member who seemed kind of nice. I thought this was obvious from my playful tone, but apparently I was wrong.

I guess I owed you guys a smiley face so you'd know I was just teasing you. Here it is:

:)

OrangePower
05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
In my league, the team listed as the home team is responsible for bringing a new and unopened can of balls.

Tonight, my opponent who was the home team didn't live up to this obligation, and instead pulled out seven or eight used ones and graciously said 'take your pick.' Most of them were worn out, but I found two that would be suitable for match play.

I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be that guy, and he may have had a good reason; but it bugged me. Does this bug anyone else?

Yes it would bug me a little. Was this a team match or an individual match? If a team match, I would ask around to see if someone else has a can of balls. Not in a nasty way to reprimand the other guy, but just to see if we can get some new balls to play with. But if this was an individual match, I would just keep quiet about it.

And to second what others have already said: It's a good idea to always have a couple of cans of new balls in your tennis bag. You just never know when you might need them.

raiden031
05-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Say, Grover.

There is a positive correlation between lack of equipment and level of play. Of course this seems to change when you hit the pros and their racquet bag becomes their luggage bag. I went to a D1 college and often saw the tennis players walking around campus and they would often be carrying 2 racquets in their hand with no bag in sight. And the girls did not wear tennis skirts when they practiced ever. It was only shorts and cotton T-shirts.

In this singles ladder I did last year, the highest rated player I played against (4.5) brought 2 racquets and no bag.

origmarm
05-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Now that you mention it Cindy all the really good (semi pro) players I've known always seem to show up with two racquets and a towel.

I guess I'm just not cool enough..:)

120mphBodyServe
05-13-2009, 04:00 AM
The less you bring to the match, the cooler you are.

Me, I show up with a can of balls, two rackets, a towel, extra socks, extra wristbands, extra contact lenses, contact lens solution, some cash, hair clips, a photocopy of the league rules, pony tail holders, kleenex and overgrips.

I'm not very cool.

Bah, You're cool & awesome... If I lived in your area I'd be honoured to be your mixed doubles partner...
Then I wouldn't have to beg you to post videos just so I could give you heaps of pointers...
*hugs*

Cindysphinx
05-13-2009, 04:08 AM
Oh, BodyServe.

You had me at "Bah." :)

Xisbum
05-13-2009, 04:16 AM

Nothing wrong with being "that guy" when you are right. And I always keep a new can in my bag, just in case. That way, you can be right AND play with new balls.

But to each his/her own. :)

FloridaAG
05-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Moral of the story is always have a can of balls with you - problem solved. Happens, he could be cheap; he could have forgottes; he could have not had time to pick up balls - really not one of life's bigger traumas.

Oh, under Cindy's test, I am uncool. I have a huge bag (and normally play straight from the office so need someplace to keep all my stuff and clothes etc) -

rasajadad
05-13-2009, 04:42 AM
I bring all of the above PLUS a cooler with 2 or 3 beers for after. (I don't usually drink all three, but like the players who don't bring balls, some forget post-match beverages too.)

Grover Sparkman
05-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Beef?

I have no beef. I was being a little playful with a new member who seemed kind of nice. I thought this was obvious from my playful tone, but apparently I was wrong.

I guess I owed you guys a smiley face so you'd know I was just teasing you. Here it is:

:)

My bad, then. Your sarcasm didn't come through very well.

By your test, I guess I'm semi-cool. Even though I do it, I'm not a fan of carrying a bag around.

Nellie
05-13-2009, 05:47 AM
I am so uncool (as I look into my bag of 6 racquets, 3 moldy towels, 28 overgrips, 5 bottles of suntan lotion, 3 sets of strings (as if I will string on the side of the court with my hands when the strings break), knee and elbow straps, spare contacts, jump rope, new and old balls, etc.). Oh, I just cleaned out my bag too to get rid of empty water bottles, various printouts of maps and lineups, and the 47 dead balls. No wonder my back hurts from carrying that bag.

DBH
05-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Normally I'm uncool by Cindy's measure -- I've got plenty of racquets, balls, and other equipment in my bag -- but last weekend I was very cool, because I forgot to put my bag in my trunk before driving to the match.

I borrowed one of my opponent's extra racquets for the match (and I won!), but I felt a little embarrassed walking onto the court with two bottles of water, my car keys, and nothing else.

DBH

Marc The Shark
05-13-2009, 08:33 AM
I hate that! That's why I always have an extra can or 2 in my with me. Last night I had a match and he pulled out like 4 balls from his bag and I didn't say anything at first for the warm up... But the first hit I got on one of the balls I noticed that those thing had been abused.. They were squishy and worn out :( So I went ahead and just poped my own can.. And we used those... But then on the second set something strange happen... He said I have new balls and poped a fresh can for the second set.. I mean I don't mind, but I thought it was overkill... It's not like we were ripping 140mph forehands back and forth..
O and btw what do people here feel about Wilson T1 balls? I usually play with PEnn and I'm very satisfied but he pulled out those T1 and I must say I hated them right away... They felt cheap and the felt was ruff like a ball made to play fetch with your dog...
Sorry for the long post... ha

kylebarendrick
05-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I would look for the captain of the home team to provide the balls, followed by the other members of the home team. As a last resort I'd offer the new can I always bring.

Seems reasonable to always bring your own water and a new can of balls to a match, just in case the home team are a bunch of screw ups.

120mphBodyServe
05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Why not set the precident and just walk if the home team doesn't provide DECENT balls???

moonbat
05-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Say, Grover.

I had this mixed doubles partner once. Young guy. He positively *oozed* cool. He showed up in a beat up T-shirt and one racket.

I hope he was wearing pants. :shock: (Or was that what made him cool?) ;)

tailofdog
05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Nobody brings insect repellent?

Marc The Shark
05-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Nobody brings insect repellent?

not I said the fly....

ha just had to say.. seems appropriate :twisted:

Power Player
05-14-2009, 09:05 AM
I always bring new balls even to hit around with somebody. It can really hurt your arm to hit with older balls anyway.

I have a 3 stick bag, but I am going to get a 10 stick backback pretty soon for all that extra space. I am clearly seeing the neccessity after getting back into playing a lot.

x5150
05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
How can an entire team not be able to pitch in 50 cents/each for a new can of balls. If they forgot ok, but seems like they just didn't want to use a new can of balls.

Spokewench
05-14-2009, 12:15 PM
I come from a sport (bicycle racing) that being prepared can mean losing or winning; i.e. if you don't have your tools to change a tire, you could be in big trouble; if you don't have water, you could dehydrate out there on a course 15 miles out; etc. So, as soon as I got into tennis, I bought a larger racquet bag, a soft-sided cooler, etc. and always carry extra new balls just in case.

If you are prepared, you don't have to worry is what I say. You don't have to rely on anyone else and you can concentrate on your own game.

Of course, that doesn't keep me from getting irritated with people who I play with who don't ever bring balls to a match. But, at least, I have a solution to the problem.

spoke

sureshs
05-14-2009, 01:50 PM
I hope he was wearing pants. :shock: (Or was that what made him cool?) ;)

And she also said he had next to no "equipment."

She is getting kinkier by the day.

JRstriker12
05-14-2009, 02:05 PM

I'd be "THAT GUY." No escuse not to bring new balls to a match. Odds are he's one of these dudes who preferes to play with deadballs.

Either that, or a cheapo, who knows he can get other people to provide the balls for him.

Also - Cindy is right. The less stuff you bring, the better you are. No water and no towel, etc. means:

1. you're not going to sweat.
2. you plan on finishing this match in 15 mins.
3. Won't need to hit hard enough to break a string - but still win.

Saw the top seed for this one tourney show up with two strung rackets, and a plastic grocery bag with his keys and maybe a sports drink in it.

moonbat
05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
And she also said he had next to no "equipment."

She is getting kinkier by the day.

:-P

10 Chars

beststringer
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Say, Grover.

I normally bring a cup of joe and a freshly strung racket to tournaments (where balls are provided for).

mtommer
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
I come from a sport (bicycle racing) that being prepared can mean losing or winning; i.e. if you don't have your tools to change a tire, you could be in big trouble; if you don't have water, you could dehydrate out there on a course 15 miles out; etc.

I bet you can appreciate this....

I pack the multi-tool etc. and yet I've never had the mechanical where you can use those simple and nifty tricks to get out of. For example having a chain break and making the bike a single speed. Instead, all my mechanicals (not counting flats) have been such that my multi-tool and other preparedness couldn't handle the break down. For example, I sheared my bb in two, my derailleur hanger broke on the top of the axle nut (so I couldn't just do the single speed trick - I couldn't get the r wheel on as there was no longer a right r dropout).

Now here's the kicker, I have helped plenty of people on the road or trail who have had the "MacGyver" fix scenarios. Kaarrrmmaaaaa! Helloooo, kaaaarrrrrrmmaaaaaaa! Can you hear me? :D

onehandbh
03-09-2010, 08:14 AM
When it's your turn to serve, open your new can of balls. After your
service game ends, put the balls in your tennis bag and use the
opponent's dead balls for his service game. When it's back to your serve,
use your new balls again. repeat.

LuckyR
03-09-2010, 08:39 AM
When it's your turn to serve, open your new can of balls. After your
service game ends, put the balls in your tennis bag and use the
opponent's dead balls for his service game. When it's back to your serve,
use your new balls again. repeat.

Good luck with that...

onehandbh
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Good luck with that...

was a joke. but maybe I'll try pressureless balls instead.

LuckyR
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
was a joke. but maybe I'll try pressureless balls instead.

Speaking of "pressureless", I played a guy on a ladder who brought never-been-played-with yet entirely dead and without pressure balls to the match. Naturally I didn't hear him crack the can/tube but didn't make anything of it until he turned out to be a spinmeister with no wheels who sought to will with crazy dropshots.

I basically pushed him into the ground (not my typical style). But the best bet given the circumstances.