PDA

View Full Version : Streaks... Records?

West Coast Ace
05-13-2009, 10:59 AM
I noticed two things (first one everyone probably knows who follows tennis at all):

Rafa has beaten (knocked out) Fed at the last 4 French Opens.

In the '04 Summer Hardcourt season, Roddick defeated Kiefer 3 straight weeks - Indy, TMS Canada, Cincy.

Are these records? Where would we look to find out?

Moose Malloy
05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I noticed two things (first one everyone probably knows who follows tennis at all):

Rafa has beaten (knocked out) Fed at the last 4 French Opens.

This is a record. Only one other time in the open era have 2 players faced each other at the same major 4 years in a row(Courier-Agassi at the '89-'92 FO. Courier won 3 of those meetings)

In the '04 Summer Hardcourt season, Roddick defeated Kiefer 3 straight weeks - Indy, TMS Canada, Cincy.

There was a thread on this topic a while back, don't know how to find it.
But Enqvist beat Goran in 4 straight weeks in '95(Montreal, LA, Cincinnati, Indy), so its not a record.

West Coast Ace
05-13-2009, 04:48 PM
There was a thread on this topic a while back, don't know how to find it. But Enqvist beat Goran in 4 straight weeks in '95(Montreal, LA, Cincinnati, Indy), so its not a record.Thanks. Great memory.

Chadwixx
05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I think lendl had quite a streak vs gilbert (from his book). It was like 18-1, not sure if there was a more dominate head to head in the game for a large number of matches played.

Connors (i think) made an amusing comment like "no one beats me 7 times in a row" so thats maybe one too.

Carlo Giovanni Colussi
05-14-2009, 03:00 AM

Rafa has beaten (knocked out) Fed at the last 4 French Opens ...

Kenneth Robert Rosewall beat Rodney George Laver 4 times in a row in the French Pro and in final each time from 1963 to 1966

Carlo Giovanni Colussi
05-14-2009, 03:07 AM
I think lendl had quite a streak vs gilbert (from his book). It was like 18-1, not sure if there was a more dominate head to head in the game for a large number of matches played.

Connors (i think) made an amusing comment like "no one beats me 7 times in a row" so thats maybe one too.

Laver led Ashe in head-to-head meetings 18-0 before Ashe won his first match in March 1974 at the WCT Aetna World Cup, a pro team event opposing Australia and the USA when the Davis Cup wasn't open to contract pro players (first meeting between both players = US amateur, Forest Hills 1959, 1st round). Moreover Laver and Ashe couldn't meet from 1963 to 1967 because Laver was a pro and Ashe a pseudo amateur. So Laver's win-loss record could have been even more impressive.

Ashe explained that Laver's strong stroke, his backhand return, was directed towards Arthur's weakness, the forehand volley, making Ashe a loser almost each time.