One of the greatest backhands i've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwUvcJBqKBo

use HD if you can

THESEXPISTOL
05-15-2009, 02:11 AM
what an amazing player

BTURNER
05-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Guga was an odd mixture of quirky and fluid. Wonderful to watch. He is also one of the few players who I might like to spend an evening with just chatting on subjects other than tennis. I suspect his conversation is like his tennis.

BorisBeckerFan
05-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Thank you for posting this link. There is no way I could express the joy and gratitude I have for watching Guga play. My favorite backhand to watch barnone.

Gugafan_Redux
05-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Wow, it's been a few years since I've watched him, and it's crazy how loose he is. His whole body looks like a rubber binder. Probably won't see form quite like this from anyone else.

SAFINATORZ
05-15-2009, 06:58 AM
The timing on his backhand is ridiculous, He can create a heavy topspin and flatten out when he needs to. One of the reasons why he won the french a few times was due to hitting that great one handed backhand. Maybe federer should hire him as a coach, he can learn something esp on clay.

Gugafan
05-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Guga was also nick named "rubber-man" because of the elasticity and relaxed motion of his groundstrokes. Agassi described Kuertens backhand as the 'best he had ever faced' after the masters cup final in 2000.

He always had this amazing ability to roll the backhand down the line out of nowhere, and had great disguise on the backhand drop shot.

Kuerten was able to win the FO, by not playing as a defensive grinder. This is also what Federer is looking to achieve. Maybe they could work together during the claycourt swing.

bluetrain4
05-15-2009, 08:50 AM
I agree with the amazing timing. His backhand stroke is extremely long, so timing is extremely important. Other players trying to hit that stroke would be spraying balls all over the place on a much more regular basis.

35ft6
05-15-2009, 11:48 AM
^ His stroke/backswing was long but once the racket started swinging forward, his palm is completely behind the handle, and the strike zone is pretty huge. He really drove through the ball, it's a relatively level swing path after the backswing. He gets extra spin by springing up into the shot instead of chopping up sharply on it/angular momentum the way Fed does. That's why he doesn't shank nearly as much. Check out 1:57. Despite the fancy backswing, it's a really deliberate stroke.

THESEXPISTOL
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Thank you for posting this link. There is no way I could express the joy and gratitude I have for watching Guga play. My favorite backhand to watch barnone.

i loved the movie soo i just shared :D