PDA

View Full Version : Rafa says Murray has the potential to be number 1

batz
05-14-2009, 04:25 AM
"He has the potential to be number one, and win important titles, which he's already done," said Nadal.

"If he's better than me at the end of the season then I'll congratulate him. If I'm number three then I'll be happy there because I'll have tried my best.

"Sure he Murray can improve more on clay, and if he improves and plays a very good level it's going to be very difficult to stop him because on the rest of the surfaces he is very good," added 22-year-old Nadal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8049455.stm

To save anyone posting this, I'm sure Rafa doesn't really believ this and is hiding his real feelings on the subject.

eagle
05-14-2009, 04:41 AM
If indeed he said those things, then I'd tend to believe he meant every word.

He has displayed humility at interviews and has never said anything bad about anyone. So, there is no reason to think he is insincere.

It doesn't take away from the fact he is very competitive and won't relinquish his current No. 1 ranking without a fight. He is just being realistic of the fact that you have a finite number of time and opportunities to be the best. Eventually, someone will overtake you as evidenced by what has happened to Federer and past number 1s.

r,
eagle

rafan
05-14-2009, 04:47 AM
If indeed he said those things, then I'd tend to believe he meant every word.

He has displayed humility at interviews and has never said anything bad about anyone. So, there is no reason to think he is insincere.

It doesn't take away from the fact he is very competitive and won't relinquish his current No. 1 ranking without a fight. He is just being realistic of the fact that you have a finite number of time and opportunities to be the best. Eventually, someone will overtake you as evidenced by what has happened to Federer and past number 1s.

r,
eagle

Yes he is never complacent and always humble - a great guy

batz
05-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Yes he is never complacent and always humble - a great guy

Yep - it's hard not to love Rafa (unless you're a big Roger fan I guess!):)

Gorecki
05-14-2009, 05:13 AM
http://www.eiaonline.com/uploaded_images/captobvious-738633.jpg

Rafael Nadal... what a genius!

Cyan
05-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Rafa is right.

vtmike
05-14-2009, 05:49 AM
"He has the potential to be number one, and win important titles, which he's already done," said Nadal.

"If he's better than me at the end of the season then I'll congratulate him. If I'm number three then I'll be happy there because I'll have tried my best.

"Sure he Murray can improve more on clay, and if he improves and plays a very good level it's going to be very difficult to stop him because on the rest of the surfaces he is very good," added 22-year-old Nadal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8049455.stm

To save anyone posting this, I'm sure Rafa doesn't really believ this and is hiding his real feelings on the subject.

Lets see how a Fed version of Veroniquem would interpret this...

What does Rafa mean he has the "potential" :-? ...He is already good enough to beat him and win important titles...Did he not almost win the title by defeating Rafa in last years USO? What arrogant piece of crap this guy is! He thinks very highly of himself! etc. etc... Well you get the point

Just Kidding ;) :)

veroniquem
05-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Lets see how a Fed version of Veroniquem would interpret this...

What does Rafa mean he has the "potential" :-? ...He is already good enough to beat him and win important titles...Did he not almost win the title by defeating Rafa in last years USO? What arrogant piece of crap this guy is! He thinks very highly of himself! etc. etc... Well you get the point

Just Kidding ;) :)
Murray is not good enough to match Nadal by a landslide, Rafa is leading their head to head 7-2 and won their last 2 encounters.
Rafa is being the perfect gentleman as usual.

batz
05-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Murray is not good enough to match Nadal by a landslide, Rafa is leading their head to head 7-2 and won their last 2 encounters.
Rafa is being the perfect gentleman as usual.

You didn't need to say that - I said it for you in the 1st post.

veroniquem
05-14-2009, 07:17 AM
You didn't need to say that - I said it for you in the 1st post.
What you said is that Rafa doesn't believe what he said, that's like saying he's lying. I do think Murray has a great POTENTIAL. But of course noone ever knows if somebody's potential will get fully realized or not. Right now Rafa is too dominant for Murray to overcome him but he could make it to #2 in a not so distant future.

sureshs
05-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Fed needs to learn humility from Rafa

veroniquem
05-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Fed needs to learn humility from Rafa
Fed never learns. I'm not gonna complain about that since it's 100% to Rafa's advantage every time they meet...

batz
05-14-2009, 07:24 AM
What you said is that Rafa doesn't believe what he said, that's like saying he's lying. I do think Murray has a great POTENTIAL. But of course noone ever knows if somebody's potential will get fully realized or not. Right now Rafa is too dominant for Murray to overcome him but he could make it to #2 in a not so distant future.

I meant to put a wink in my response to you Veronique - I was only kidding you.

veroniquem
05-14-2009, 07:28 AM
I meant to put a wink in my response to you Veronique - I was only kidding you.
OK, sorry. I didn't want you to get mad as I really like Murray a lot, I don't think he's as good as Rafa (most of the time) but I do support him vs anyone else (and I would love to see a Nadal-Murray final in Madrid BTW).

Giggs The Red Devil
05-14-2009, 07:46 AM
BBC: Nadal says Murray can be no.1
Le Monde: Nadal says Tsonga can be no. 1
Basler Zeitung: Nadal says Federer can be no. 1
Romānia Liberă: Nadal says Crivoi can be no. 1

batz
05-14-2009, 07:52 AM
BBC: Nadal says Murray can be no.1
Le Monde: Nadal says Tsonga can be no. 1
Basler Zeitung: Nadal says Federer can be no. 1
Romānia Liberă: Nadal says Crivoi can be no. 1

Got a link for the last 3?

batz
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
OK, sorry. I didn't want you to get mad as I really like Murray a lot, I don't think he's as good as Rafa (most of the time) but I do support him vs anyone else (and I would love to see a Nadal-Murray final in Madrid BTW).

No need for apologies V - it was my fault for not being clear that I was joking with you.

I'd love to see a Rafa/Murray final too (if only to ensure Novak doesn't get number 3 back!:)) - but it will be tough to get past JMDP and Roger (but not impossible).