PDA

View Full Version : Rafa Will never win the 'Grand Slam'

Safinator_1
05-14-2009, 06:21 AM
hey guys im not sure if you have already read, sorry if its already been posted but i saw an article of Rafa never to win THE Grand Slam and i want your thoughts and opinions on it. Preferably no flames please we've been there and done that -.-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/174605-rafa-will-never-make-it-the-grand-slam-that-is

cucio
05-14-2009, 06:26 AM
A sad consequence of this blog era is that people have started to call "article" to anything.

Sir Andrew of Roddick
05-14-2009, 06:27 AM
How can anybody in the entire Universe know that he will never win all four slams in a year until we get to each one this year, and see if he wins it?

End of.

Cyan
05-14-2009, 06:35 AM
hey guys im not sure if you have already read, sorry if its already been posted but i saw an article of Rafa never to win THE Grand Slam and i want your thoughts and opinions on it. Preferably no flames please we've been there and done that -.-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/174605-rafa-will-never-make-it-the-grand-slam-that-is

That website is nothing but a bunch of *******s writing amateurish articles.

autumn_leaf
05-14-2009, 06:37 AM
the guy is such an idiot. the calendar slam doesn't really even matter. it's importance is next to nothing. now the golden slam, that's a different story; it's the most important thing in the universe!!

that being said. too many things happen in the year, injury being a major one. Rafa already proved he can win on all surfaces and has won a slam on each. ...

after reading the entire blog i'm not sure if the blogger was serious or not... he seems to tout rafa's achievements and comebacks...i'm just confused.

vtmike
05-14-2009, 06:45 AM

Its a damn blog!...Not like it was published in the NY times for crying out loud...Thats like taking an article written by N_F seriously :)

oneleggedcardinal
05-14-2009, 07:09 AM

Its a damn blog!...Not like it was published in the NY times for crying out loud...Thats like taking an article written by N_F seriously :)

I don't think you guys understood the article. Take another look at it. It may as well have been written by Nadal_Freak, Veroniquem, TheTruth, TheNatural, Gen or you, Cyan.

drakulie
05-14-2009, 07:13 AM
^^^^^It was.

seffina
05-14-2009, 07:19 AM
I like Bleacher Report. They have some good stuff sometimes. I liked this article a lot. It was a fun take on the whole issue. He's saying Rafa likes to rise above expectations, so let's keep the expectations low. I also liked the Triple Crown analogy.

Still it's just an opinion at the end of the day and you know what they say about opinions...

rafan
05-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Err .. now lets see what he has won in the course of a year: FO, Wimbledon, Olympics, and AO. Not to mention coming accross from the FO on the channel train, spending one day practising on grass and sweeping the board at Queens (or Stella Artois) which it is known. This is the sort of reporter who tries to get attention to himself with rubbish headlines

veroniquem
05-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Very smart article. The guy is actually explaining that when you say he cannot do something, he will always prove you wrong! So he's saying it to make sure it will happen. I'm not sure everyone here understood the article...

Cup8489
05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Very smart article. The guy is actually explaining that when you say he cannot do something, he will always prove you wrong! So he's saying it to make sure it will happen. I'm not sure everyone here understood the article...

so nadal now has magical powers to achieve what people say he definitely can't?

are you even sane at this point?

LeftySpin
05-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Dang this guy is pretty harsh. I don't agree that Rafa "can't" do it, I just think that he's got a very small chance. Even if hes got AO and FO. I still think hes going to have trouble at Wimbledon before the USO. Even if he wins that the USO is still going to be even worse for him. All I can say is that I will bookmark that page and if Rafa wins then thats going to be ragged on so much haha.

seffina
05-14-2009, 08:16 AM

I don't think anyone said anything about magical powers. However, the article was just making a case that Nadal tends to exceed expectations and has exceeded expectations in the last year. The author of the article feels that by telling Nadal that he can't do it, he could do it. Not magical powers, just that he has operated well when he's against the odds. It's really not a bad article. Besides calling the Olympic "medal" Olympic "metal" that is. Did you read it?

jelle v
05-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't think you guys understood the article. Take another look at it. It may as well have been written by Nadal_Freak, Veroniquem, TheTruth, TheNatural, Gen or you, Cyan.

Indeed.. .

aphex
05-14-2009, 10:22 AM

i'm a noob__was this EVER the case?

tacou
05-14-2009, 03:20 PM
if it's calendar slam we are talking about then I doubt it, solely because it's an incredible feat for any player. 2009 might be the year, though, if it IS to happen.

otherwise, I don't see why Nadal couldn't win the USO. he's got the game to beat anyone anywhere anytime.

it would definitely be hardest to win but he can no doubt succeed at Flushing Meadows

egn
05-14-2009, 03:39 PM

You obviously did not read the article so you fail!

Yes I have to agree. It is one of those reverse psychology type of things. Rafael Nadal deserves credit as for his whole career people have been expecting the least and he himself is never sure yet he always come out huge and does what nobody expects. The whole he is nothing but a claycourter, he will never win wimbledon, he will never be number 1, he will never win a hardcourt slam..all this he will never win a calendar year slam thing might just actually make Nadal do it. The more people say he won't it seems the more likely he does it we have seen it before. It was a very smart written article I agree.

dincuss
05-14-2009, 05:36 PM
It was written by a *******, to trick *******s,, and to boost Nadals hunger for winning.

veroniquem
05-14-2009, 05:44 PM

That's what the article says, it has nothing to do with me although I agree that whenever I thought "impossible", Rafa managed to do it (like winning Hamburg, RG, Queens and Wimbledon in a row last year or winning Monte-Carlo, Barcelona and Rome in 3 straight weeks this year).

icedevil0289
05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
That's what the article says, it has nothing to do with me although I agree that whenever I thought "impossible", Rafa managed to do it (like winning Hamburg, RG, Queens and Wimbledon in a row last year or winning Monte-Carlo, Barcelona and Rome in 3 straight weeks this year).

Who in the world thought that was impossible?! Its fricking clay and fricking rafa. I think most of us knew who the winner would be for all three of those events.

BoomerangX
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
i think rafa can do it. :P

veroniquem
05-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Who in the world thought that was impossible?! Its fricking clay and fricking rafa. I think most of us knew who the winner would be for all three of those events.
Really? It is clay, so what? He's great but he's not superman (or is he ? :shock:). Last year and the year before he lost one match during the clay season. I also said it's impossible for Rafa to win all 5 (M-C, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid and RG). I'm kind of curious to see what happens now, pulling that off would be nothing short of INSANE!

bolo
05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Not a great article imo. Imo Nadal likes being the underdog, but that's doesn't mean he responds to other people's expectations (negative or positive). Those are two different things.

veroniquem
05-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Not a great article imo. Imo Nadal likes being the underdog, but that's doesn't mean he responds to other people's expectations (negative or positive). Those are two different things.
It's a humorous article, you're not supposed to take it quite so literally but the idea is amusing.

bolo
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
It's a humorous article, you're not supposed to take it quite so literally but the idea is amusing.

obviously it's meant in fun. :) But the writer still gets the psychology wrong. I don' think nadal really has a I am going to prove you wrong mentality.

TheTruth
05-14-2009, 07:06 PM

That's the way I took it too. But, I agree with you, I don't think some people got it.

vtmike
05-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Really? It is clay, so what? He's great but he's not superman (or is he ? :shock:). Last year and the year before he lost one match during the clay season. I also said it's impossible for Rafa to win all 5 (M-C, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid and RG). I'm kind of curious to see what happens now, pulling that off would be nothing short of INSANE!

Yup that would be an amazing achievement!

bruce38
05-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Rafa you WILL win the grand slam...he he he, take that!:twisted:

miyagi
05-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I think the writer forgot to put a wink at the end of the article....

It isn't well written so alot of people may have been confused by the message but to me he was saying Rafa achieves what people think he can't!

Anyway I would LOVE to see him get the Grand Slam that would be EPIC!

AprilFool
05-15-2009, 12:33 AM
A sad consequence of this blog era is that people have started to call "article" to anything.

Very true....

rubberduckies
05-15-2009, 02:49 AM
What I don't understand are the references to horse racing.

So Rod Laver is Secretariat? I'm pretty sure Secretariat had no idea what was going on from the moment he won the Derby to the moment he became glue. Hopefully, Rod never becomes glue.

TheTruth
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Indeed.. .

Nope. If I would have written it I would have expounded on how Federer tried to make quick work of the teenagers with psychological warfare when they were up and comers...

I would have also spoke to the effects of karma, since each person he ragged on was now a thorn in his side...

In addition, I would talked about the favorable draws, the cruel scheduling, and how Fed always ends up with less-than-fighters on his side.

I would have dug into the mono story, where Fed never missed an hour of professional tennis, the bad back after several losses, and how the light affected his chances at Wimbledon.

So, you're wrong. This guy only scratched the surface. The Truth would have been more in-depth.