PDA

View Full Version : Sampras vs. Safin

marc45
05-14-2009, 07:12 AM
pete's going to be honored at the l.a. tournament this year and play marat on opening night monday july 27

theagassiman
05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
That's nice.
I hope Pete wins.

norbac
05-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Nice, I've always liked exhibitions like this one.

Xuxa Kuerten
05-14-2009, 05:28 PM
That's great news, though probably we from Brazil won't be able to watch the match. This may be a good opportunity to see at what level is Sampras playing. Some people think Pete would be able to defeat any of contemporary top 10 players if they play one match alone; others think these matches are played only for the sake of entertainment. Maybe I'm wrong, but Safin doesn't seem to be the kind of player that would lessen his rhythm against some player just to "have fun".

bladepdb
05-14-2009, 05:32 PM
That's great news, though probably we from Brazil won't be able to watch the match. This may be a good opportunity to see at what level is Sampras playing. Some people think Pete would be able to defeat any of contemporary top 10 players if they play one match alone; others think these matches are played only for the sake of entertainment. Maybe I'm wrong, but Safin doesn't seem to be the kind of player that would lessen his rhythm against some player just to "have fun".

Maybe. But then again he's getting paid, and I'm sure Safin would be ready to lose an exhibition match against Sampras for the right price :)

Besides, he's already beaten Sampras for a USO title so I'm sure he won't mind losing if he's getting good money for it :P

RCizzle65
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Oh jeez, I'd like to watch this exhibition!

Dilettante
05-14-2009, 06:51 PM
This is unreal: the two true dominators of the actual field, playing each other.

Xuxa Kuerten
05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Maybe. But then again he's getting paid, and I'm sure Safin would be ready to lose an exhibition match against Sampras for the right price :)

Besides, he's already beaten Sampras for a USO title so I'm sure he won't mind losing if he's getting good money for it :P

Yeah, that may happen as well. I guess we would only know for real about Pete's conditions nowadays if he played a pro tournament. Or if he face one of those very very very competitive guys of the tour (Kiefer, Berdych, Gonzalez, Murray, Nadal) – when I say competitive I'm referring to one of those players that wouldn't (imo) "concede" a point to the opponent not even if the score is 6-0, 5-0, 40-0; I don't know if I made myself clear here, I'm not making any moral judgement about the behavior of these guys).