PDA

View Full Version : Academies in Spain

forehander
03-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Anyone have any insight into the Bruguera or Sanches-Casal academies in Barcelona Spain? They look like quality organizations from their web sites. Lots of clay courts!. Does Bolletieri's have clay courts?

Marius_Hancu
03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
You might want to write to this player from Montreal, who has been there:
http://www.neverbeentospain.com/EN/html/contact_us.html

tricky nicky
03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
sanchez casal is very close to a motorway which connects to the airport.

they were very helpfull using the email but when we suprised them one day with a suprise visit, no one showed us round, no coaches could be found to talk with us, we were left to sus it out for ourselves, no one offered for our kid to come back for a hit to try out, they just gave us some very nice expensive looking glossy colour brochures and price lists. we were not very impressed we left regreting having made the effort.

there is smoking allowed in the cafe/restaurant which I found very un professional and unhealthy.

there is a shared car park with an adjacent equestrian centre and to be honest it looks a little too commercial and impersonal for my liking, the facilities are fair/good but these are shared with a tennis club and it's membership so I guess it could be a busy place, what with the weekend warriors and all.

A major european plc has recently anounced plans to build even more leisure/gym/swimming complex and expand the whole opperation.

but you might like it, we didnt, I didnt hear too many english speaking people there, but plenty of eastern europeans, who are rude to be polite.

one kid walked out of his way to swing his dunlop racket bag into me whilst looking right at me ( no joke) and that really ****ed me off, if I see him at a tournament in england ever again he's gona withdraw with an unexpected injury to his face with my fist.

probably the most uncomfortable thing was the location of the academy in relation to the motorway which serves barcelona airport and the many many horrible diseased looking prostitutes who brazenly tout for business in broad daylight either side of carriageway adjacent to that junction.

we wont be going back there, but thats us.

Top team Bruguera is in a village called santa colomba de cervello on the side of a hill/mountain 20 km outside barcelona, it has many terraced red clay courts and at least 8 hard courts, I was immediately taken with the place as it's not at all swanky like the one by the airport.

although top teams facilities are a bit rough around the edges, (some tarmac holes in the car park and lick of paint needed externally here and there) it's a great place and the courts are immaculate, the coaches and staff are fantastic and from the minute we introduced ourselves unannounced at reception nothing was too much trouble.

Bruguera top team is a family business and it shows big time! after being given a guided tour the first question was "did your child bring a racquet"

a coach was summoned and took our kid for a hit/tryout while the director of tennis talked to us at some length in his office and he took notes.

we were given a thorough explanation of how things work at the academy and were introduced to almost everyone.

having just turned up uninvited for a look around we were pleasently suprised to be invited back for the next day so that our kid could experience a whole days training.

you practice in the morning do fitness before lunch, then after lunch you have match play to put into practice what you did in the morning, then just to finish off with some more fitness including some serious demanding mountain style running circuits.

we loved the place full stop, more importantly so did our kid, there was a broad range of western europeans, a couple of yanks, and a few asians spread across the mid to late teens/ early twenties age group.

the facilities are all there but theres no counrty club luxury here, except the outdoor swimming pool, it's all about hard work and graft, with the greatest respect it's like a spit and sawdust boxers gym.

it's a great place and the personal interest in EVERYONE is huge, the coaches are eagled eyed, firm and attentive

theres a small but well stocked pro/stringers shop and they even sent someone out to get my kid a new pair of nike shoes she wanted in a half size they didnt have in stock.

they do great promo deals on Vokl gear and have mainly spanish coaches one american though, nice people through and through.

the restaurant is more of a canteen if you catch my drift but thats run by cousins of the family so the food and service are great too, gatorade in the fridge for you americans in every flavour going, 15 euros a day gets you 3 square meals and thats a good deal.

I didnt meet any kids with attitude, just plain happy to be there.

worth every penny can reccomend it to the extent that we didnt bother to visit the 3rd academy in Barcelona "andres gimeno" which is in a place called castell delfells near to the beach looks good on the website and offer a free try out day for visitors.

one other academy we visited in spain was equelite tennis academy near villena in Valencia, this is the JC Ferrero academy which is for the over 14's most of the students seemed to be male much older 16,17,18's.

great place too, warmer weather than barcelona while we were there.

great facilities technogym equipment, 1 indoor hardcourt as well as the usual high number of hard courts and red clay outside this is also like bruguera top team not a tennis club for weekend warriors.

nice people, shown round, given the tour.

they have a very popular summer camp and are expanding accomodation accordingly and are also building a golf course on adjacent land.

the bungalows are good and the restaurant is being redeveloped as are some of the other rooms/ facilities.

hennin and sharapova use this place as a european base and had just left to go to the states when we were there.

you might like it but being as it's in the middle of nowhere I'd take barcelona every time the transport links are much better and there is more to see.

good luck with your tennis.

regards

tricky

flypitcher
04-15-2005, 01:47 PM
www.andresgimenohcs.com

Beautiful place b/w Barcelona and Sitges.

Have some fun.

nswelshman
04-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi tricky, I was wondering if you could PM me so that I could ask you more about your experiences visiting these academies.

tricky nicky
04-29-2005, 01:40 PM
put it up here.

what do you want to know and I will try to help.

prefer not to do the pm thing.

regards,

tricky.

nswelshman
04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
all these places seem so expensive

TennisD
04-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Anyone have any insight into the Bruguera or Sanches-Casal academies in Barcelona Spain? They look like quality organizations from their web sites. Lots of clay courts!. Does Bolletieri's have clay courts?
I trained there for three weeks a little while ago. I was not at all impressed. Not at all...

nswelshman
04-30-2005, 03:19 PM
I trained there for three weeks a little while ago. I was not at all impressed. Not at all...

Which academy did you train at?

tricky nicky
05-01-2005, 04:15 AM
First of all, respect to tennis D's opinion.

some people like things that others dislike.....it's a personal thing.

We really did like Top Team and prefered it over sanchez casal and equelite (jcf)

training group average i suppose 8-12 on five courts with 3 coaches and basket drills with 4:1 ration on a single court.

it really all depends, often an athlete may be removed from a group to have 1:1 serving or hitting with another player with 2-3 coaches watching and meeting to discuss after.

I suppose in my opinion everything is based on physical conditioning, youll be worked hard on court and the heat takes it toll.

as far as we were concerned in the mornings there were basket drills and in the afternoon there was matchplay with caoches observing and discussing.

Trust me Top Team want you to become a better player, they want you to come back.....its not a giant concern like some american academies where there are endless newbies keeping things afloat.

Our kid came back fitter by a country mile, more tactically aware and extremely motivated to keep on working hard.

every one speaks english! well.

the village is well served with transport links buses and metro.

it has everything you need but it is small you can drive through it in the blink of an eye, centre of the village is a small square which is the centre of summer activity and the road system is one way around the square.

parking is unrestricted and easy.

i doubt very much if you could earn any pocket money, the are few bars if any to get work in. any chances of work in spain are greatly enhanced by fluency in spanish and even then there are still no guarentees.

I didnt get to look at the male dorms for the older males(18+) there are a couple of cabins away from the main building by a five a side football pitch.

they keep a close eye on the younger kids staying in the main building and security is efficient.......my wife said the girls dorm was typical for girls but ok whatever that meant.

living with family.....or share appartment....thats a tough one because its away from the tourists santa de cs dont really have any rental appartments to share with others.

the reception/admin staff may be able to help but there is quite some demand for rented family accomodation so it's tough to call.

youl probly be better off staying on site.....everythings taken care of.

the gym is really a free weights room......dont go there expecting technogym or nautilus equipment they dont have it.....but things might change soon.

the outdoor pool is well maintained and is essential during the hot summer lunchbreaks.

we went on a fact finding short break to spain to look at all the academies.

and then went back later.

good luck

TennisD
05-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Which academy did you train at?
Sanchez-Casal. The country is great, but the academy is too "assembly-line" for my liking.

tricky nicky
05-02-2005, 10:59 AM
ns welshman

We couldnt get away from S-C quick enough.

I touched on some of the reason in my earlier posts.

Our kid aint gonna be a early bloomer more like a late bloomer.

if 14 yr old wonder kid walks into S-C they are gonna get the early bloomer treatment and everyone else can live in hope.

try Top Team if you really dont like it (the whole experience thing)

Ill send ya 50 bucks.

promise.

regards,

tricky.

forehander
05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Yes, being a late bloomer sucks. People don't realize what a dissadvantage it is.

zorg
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
How much would it cost to go to Spain to train. ABOUT how much.

nswelshman
05-02-2005, 10:27 PM
I didnt get to look at the male dorms for the older males(18+) there are a couple of cabins away from the main building by a five a side football pitch.

they keep a close eye on the younger kids staying in the main building and security is efficient.......my wife said the girls dorm was typical for girls but ok whatever that meant.

dorms are like college dorms or what not?

nswelshman
05-02-2005, 10:39 PM
How much would it cost to go to Spain to train. ABOUT how much.

Depending on which academy seems like average of more than 1700 euros a month!! bloody expensive

tricky nicky
05-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Hi NSW

My wife says that they were typical but ok.

needs a lick of paint.

little bit basic.

wasn't glamorous though.

didnt notice any ensuite facilities.

but would be happy to allow our kid to lodge there.

tricky nicky
05-03-2005, 01:37 AM
6 single beds in the dorm my wife looked at

regards,

tricky.

YEMntFtb
05-03-2005, 06:27 AM
whats the website for the top team academy?

forehander
05-03-2005, 09:12 AM
www.topteam.net

TennisD
05-03-2005, 11:55 AM
ns welshman

We couldnt get away from S-C quick enough.

I touched on some of the reason in my earlier posts.

Our kid aint gonna be a early bloomer more like a late bloomer.

if 14 yr old wonder kid walks into S-C they are gonna get the early bloomer treatment and everyone else can live in hope.

try Top Team if you really dont like it (the whole experience thing)

Ill send ya 50 bucks.

promise.

regards,

tricky.
Ugh, I agree. Besides me, there was one, maybe two good players there the whole time. We always trained in the same group, and when one of the "academy" coaches saw us practice, he took away one guy, even though we were all the same. He went to train with guys who were playing ATP! HA! It was a joke.

tricky nicky
05-11-2005, 01:08 PM
We have just spent a few days at Andres Gimeno HCS (high competition school)

web site says visit and train for a day for free, so we did.....well our kid actually.

25 red clay courts all flood lit and in good condition....unusually the lines on the courts are not plastic tapes with nails...... but are white cement about 4" deep set into the clay...some of the nets looked a little bit ragged.

it's very adjacent to a dual carriageway/motorway and some large trucks/lorries
which do tend to thunder past sometimes the roar of traffic was broken by the wail of car horn/hooter and the terrifying screech of brakes.

The academy is really a tennis club founded by A Gimeno that has morphed into an academy but still remains a tennis club.......the academy used 6-8 courts nearest the motorway whilst we were there.

the only american I met was a coach who was not employed by the academy, rather a freelancer who rents courts from the club, this guy was in his late 40's 6' tall and dyes his hair jet black.

the clubhouse consists of grd floor; changing rooms,saunas,showers, gym with reebok machines and free weights, aerobics studio,pro shop which only opens from 5pm -9pm.

upstairs there is a restaurent, cafe and outdoor roof terrace with inset swimming pool(must have been an architects nightmare) the views over the facility are pretty good.

heres the catch........ train for free for one day.........our kid liked it so we asked to come back 2 extra days and were charged 180 euros for 2 days training tuesday 9-12 and 3-5 wedsnesday 10-12 and 3-5 pm tuesday 3-5 was 2 hours of fitness and for 180 euro we felt a bit hard done by and short changed if you know what I mean.

we didnt see any eureks moment training or coaching that was pushing the envelope either.

there are quite a few argentinian coaches who apparently have a better work ethic than some other spanish nationals, most of them spoke pretty good english.

I did appreciate that the ball carts were full of very good quality Penn balls in very good condition.

while we were there younis el alnois was hitting for two days with another morrocan but i'm not saying i was impressed.

the thing that impressed me the most was the beach at castelldelfells and el vendrell about 400metres away over the motorway.

the weather was good too mid to high 20's in may.

food in the cafe was good and varied about 9 euro for main course steak and pasta.

this is the thing..................

as soon as we had been given our bill.....or should I say pressed for payment..... we and our kid were forgotten about.

our kid spent the last hour and a half hitting with 2 kids one of whom wasnt even a member of the academy and had turned up early for his lesson.

we got no feed back before we left.....no one asked if we planned to return or did we like/enjoy/value the experience.

I dont think we will be returning and out of the 3 tennis academy's in and around Barcelona, Top team Brugera impressed me the most.

anyone want anymore feedback put it up here.

regards,

tricky.

GRANITECHIEF
05-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Has anyone been to La Manga? On the website, it looks similar to Saddlebrook but with nicer surroundings. We're thinking of doing a Spain Tennis Academy trip and from what i've gathered here, Top Team Brugera and La Manga are on the list.

Any advice appreciated.

tricky nicky
05-11-2005, 02:20 PM
La Manga is more of a resort than a tennis academy.

itīs the winter training base for team GB LTA players but it dont look like itīs working, lol

Jimmy Connors was there for a few days working with junior squads before x mas.

the facilities are first class, court time will be best booked and paid for well in advance.

good luck.

hope you like golf heads and middle class british snobs.

take plenty of suncream factor 60.

regards,

tricky

tricky nicky
05-11-2005, 02:23 PM
youd be better of a top team.

barcelona is wicked for sight seeing and the general touristy bits.

theres no sight seeing to be done at la manga.

used to be owned by pacific and oriental but sold out last year to an investment fund.

probably want to exploit the geography a bit more and build a few more appartments.

tricky nicky
05-11-2005, 02:24 PM
youd be better of a top team.

barcelona is wicked for sight seeing and the general touristy bits.

theres no sight seeing to be done at la manga.

used to be owned by pacific and oriental but sold out last year to an investment fund.

probably want to exploit the geography a bit more and build a few more appartments.

regards,

tricky.

154Ace
05-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Hey tricky nicky, what do you think a week or two at top team would cost, "in $US". Im really interested in going to Spain so i need to know how much. What do you think a plane ticket and a week there would run. Im 16 so i would not boarding and everything. Please let me know.

tricky nicky
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Ace,

Affraid I cant help you with plane ticket prices as I live in the UK.

Go to www.topteam.net and download their brochure it gives full prices of programmes.

they run 1 week intensive camps in July and August but the heat can be seriously oppresive at that time of year.

we were in Barcelona again last week and it was 26 C by 1 pm on most days

good luck if you decide to go but hear this............

whenever you go work on your fitness before hand.......its a tough fitness programme and those that can deliver get the respect of the trainers and coaches and the maximum return in terms of personal input and attention.

there are also competitions for the fastest times in various age groups for the mountain circuit with little prizes like tee shirts, caps, strings and over grips etc.

best improved time for the week also gets something.

regards,

tricky.

ps you may also want to consider JC Ferrero academy Equelite www.equelite.com

they too run 1 week intensive camps with world class players and coaches often in attendance, you could find yourself on court facing a top 10-20 spanish clay courter for a super set.

trouble is the academy is in the middle of nowhere so theres not much sightseeing at night but if your going primarily for the tennis and fitness you will be too tired for it anyways.

GRANITECHIEF
05-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Well it turns out TopTeam only takes players from 11-23. That rules me (35) out and my boy (9) as well. Bummer.

So S-C isn't so cool, TopTeam has the age restrictions, JC Ferrero is out of the way, La Manga is resorty and may lack competition.

Where should we go that has an intensive one-week or two-week academy setting like Saddlebrook???

tricky nicky
05-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I'll get back to ya with some personal recomendations from friends.

regards,

tricky.

GRANITECHIEF
05-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks, much appreciated. We're planning to go mid August.

tricky nicky
05-23-2005, 04:53 PM
okey dokes.

not sure what your looking for exactly in terms of academy experience...ie.....is it more for you.....more for your child or a bit of both..?

there are a couple in spain that are more family orientated...but you might find yourself without much competition if you see what I mean.

it is very hot in Spain in mid August..... today was 31 c in Barca.

sometimes its too hot to just sit in the shade....it's like lets go shopping so we can get some air con breezes going.serious!

A friend reccomends an academy run by Bob Brett in San Remo Italy.

it's a highly regarded tennis club, lakeside resort and academy rolled in a single package.

stages ITF events.

now what was the URL Damn.

get back to ya

regards,

tricky.

GRANITECHIEF
05-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Hey Tricky,

It is really nice of you to check on these things, Thanks!!

It is a family camp we're looking for. But were serious competitors. I play 5.5 and my 9-yr old boy is set on being a pro and we are supporting him to do that. My wife played college tennis and is a good 5.0 grinder.

I really liked Saddelbrook and something like that, with the week long, 5-6 hr/day, intense workout with technical training and match play, would be great.

I checked out the equelite (Ferrero) website and it looked pretty cool. Although as you mentioned, not a whole lot of other great things to do in Alicante.

The Italy resort/academy sounds good.

GC

tricky nicky
05-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Sorry for the delay Granitechief, but today I have been on a mission with my first stringing machine.

I dont know if you know, but Bob Brett coached Boris Becker for a large number of years in his late teens early 20's.

(not 5 minutes like a large number of todays coaches, seem to change all the time)

He has been doing the corporate thing in the last few years (as is JC Ferrero) and affiliating himself with a couple of new clubs one in dubai and the other in Paris.

but he is still very and mainly involved and operating from the san remo club where his clinics are very well regarded.

As soon as I remember or search out the URL I'll let ya know.

regards,

tricky.

bbbtennis
05-24-2005, 11:48 PM
[QUOTEAnyone have any insight into the Bruguera or Sanches-Casal academies for 2005.
i have two children one 15 and one 12 any camps for them in spain?

forehander
05-25-2005, 09:41 PM
If you read this entire thread, I think you'll find some good answers to your question.

GRANITECHIEF
05-26-2005, 07:53 AM
What about in Mallorca?

tricky nicky
05-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi Granitchief,

still working on the san remo bob brett thing.

go to www.tenispain.com

on the home page ( at the top) click on clubs de tennis.

on the next page (federacione's) right hand side click and select Baleares (Baeleric islands) Mallorca,Menorca & Ibiza.

your gonna get a long list of links hopefully some but not all clubs have decent webpages ( quite a few dont)

Same goes for the rest of spain just pick a different area on the federaciones list.

regards,

tricky.

tricky nicky
05-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi Granitechief,

Spoke to my mate again,

mentioned BB and difficulties finding his site.

apparently Im deaf in the left ear and didnt hear him properly.

www.bobbretttennis.com

enjoy hope it does the job.

regards,

tricky.

GRANITECHIEF
05-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Tricky, Much Thanks!

tricky nicky
05-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Granitechief.

Your welcome.

regards,

tricky.

TennisC
06-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Changed User Name

TennisHC
06-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Hello Tricky Nicky
Wow, I am impressed your knowledge of Tennis Academies. I too have 16 years old daughter who wants to give it a go for full year after her GCSE in few weeks time.
I had brouchers from ISP in france and equelite from spain. Had visited Top team in Barcelona 2 years back.

Last year she went to Sanchez for 3 weeks in August, its tough decision to make. What do you think of american academies. And where do these Czech players train? They have 17 girls in top 200, we have 1 or 2.

You seem to know quite a lot, is it possible to talk to you over the phone or email.

Kind Regards
TennisHC

tricky nicky
06-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I cant give out my email or phone for obvious reasons.

All I can really advise you is this.

You (and hopefully your child) will appreciate the financial commitment required in order to fund 1 year at any tennis academy mainland Europe or USA.

Try a 2 week summer camp before you sign on the dotted line as refunds are generally out of the question, even serious injury usually only gets a "credit note" come back when you are better type of arrangement.

Many tennis academies are "Early Bloomer Orientated" looking for 12/13/14 yr old kids they can add a bit of polish to.......there are plenty of posts on this site where attendees have complained of a "lack of polish" being applied or available to them because of their "non early bloomer" stage of game development"

As for the USA well it's got it all and the exchange rate is favourable but weekend flying visits with easyjet are out of the question.......and it's nice to stay in touch or know you be there quickly if there is ever an emergency.

Although they say "I'm OK" on the phone it can takes weeks to settle in/if ever.. and 16 yr olds still need to know there's a possibility of a family visit next weekend for some time out as the "PRO" nature of the training programmes day in day out can have a demoralising effect during a long stay.

To be Honest I cant really give you any real advice only my personal opinion without any sort of warranty.

which is

Before going to any tennis academy get fitter and more elastic than you have ever been as the training is "PROFESSIONAL LEVEL" if you cant keep up or are behind in the group it can be demoralising/demotivating

If we sent our kid to an Academy for a year (10 month typically) we would choose JCF Equelite it has a proper secure entrance gate with video entry, NO ONE GETS IN without clearing security DAY OR NIGHT!

should the weather ever be really wet it does have one indoor court.

Also lots of money is being spent there recently (2005) on improving and maintaining the facilities which demonstrates a proper business plan for continued growth and development of the JCF "His Brand"

As for the success of Czech girls and eastern europeans in general......... they are harder nosed and very tough mentally, they want it more!

and, you might tell your Daughter, when "they" go to tennis academies they go there to win! win! win!

let us know how you get on.

regards,

tricky.

Feņa14
06-13-2005, 06:03 AM
Tricky,

I'm seriously impressed with your knowledge!

I have been and played at Equelite and I share your love for it, it's perfect. The training is seriously hard work and my fitness is nowhere near good enough. Unfortunately though I was young at the time, I did miss home quite a bit which made me see that I could never really make it... I didn't really have the motivation.

Now i'm a bit older I'm seriously thinking about giving it another go after GCSE's part deux ;)

So thankyou for all your info and throwing another few names into the hat for me :)

tricky nicky
06-13-2005, 06:22 AM
@ Fena 14,

thanx for the props......all I really do is open my wallet and my eyes.....not always at the same time though.

Good luck with the Exams.

giving it another go...... generally second time around is better, especially with school exams out of the way.

you having already been there and got the t shirt you will be better prepared for what it takes to make pro training & academy life work for you.

Good luck with your tennis too

regards,

tricky.

Feņa14
06-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Thanks!

Would you consider sending your child to an academy for 10 months at a time?

After a few months I was just ready to go home... Now i'm a bit more mature I will probably be able to manage it.

The thing that I missed most of all was bacon sandwiches, tetley, and not being able to drink ;)

At the moment I think I will just go for around 1 month and get used to it and work up to it slowly.

I will certainly give TopTeam a go as from what you say they seem to be really friendly and the idea that I will still be able to study is a plus. I will also look into Equelite again.

Thanks again for your help!

Jonnyf
06-14-2005, 08:16 AM
i might be going for a week or two to LaManga is it worthwhile will i get annhialated

tricky nicky
06-14-2005, 05:13 PM
i might be going for a week or two to LaManga is it worthwhile will i get annhialated

Well jonny boy, if you play tennis like you spell those big words that you try to impress us with (along with tall tales of your planned (dreamed?) travels)

Then the answer is probably yes.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggg ggggggggggghhhhhhhh

what a roar I'm having tonight.

when you going to NYC?

I'm in Spain again next week............nice.

toodle loo,

tricky.

Jonnyf
06-15-2005, 11:05 AM
7th July for NYC

GRANITECHIEF
06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Johhnyf, If you go to LaManga, it would be great if you could give a report on the facilities, training, competition, etc.

My family and I are also considering going there. It looks like a nice resort.

Jonnyf
06-15-2005, 10:44 PM
GRANITECHIEF i know someone who goes every year i'll try and ask him

GRANITECHIEF
06-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Cool, that would be great!

Jonnyf
06-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Sorry one probs i just found out that

He's coaching in your country sooo soooo sorry

TennisHC
06-24-2005, 03:26 AM
Hello Tricky
It appears that Sanchez-Casal in Barcelona is still producing lot more pro players.

Andy Murray trains there is well.

Whats your view.

TennisHC
06-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Fina14
When are you thinking of going to spain, and which academy?

Muzza
06-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Has anyone been to La Manga club to train?
If so, is it a good place to train at or are the others in spain like top tennis better?

Cheers

dizzychump
07-28-2005, 04:33 AM
Everyone is thanking this guy for his great knowledge and its gone! Where? Why?

forehander
08-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Since I started this thread and my son recently returned from a stay at the Sanches-Casal academy, I thought I'd update you and give a review for anyone interested.

The main complaint about this camp is that it is VERY unorganized. Trainers and students were walking around clueless as to what to do and where to go. Eventually they would figure it out and students would be sent to a court to do some training.

How was the training? Well, I'd have to say it was mediocre. The instructors, besides being unorganized, showed that they were not really into what they were doing. Did my son learn anything? Yes, but it could have been so much better. He has a much better personal coach here at home. But it was an interesting experience and it gave him exposure to many very high level junior players.

What was the tennis training like? It was pounding ground strokes for three hours in the morning and playing out some sets with other students in the afternoon. There was no serve work and no volley work. It was all about ground strokes. My son's ground strokes did improve. You can't pound out ground strokes for 4 hours a day 6 days a week in a competitive environment and not improve. The quality of the players there was very high. There were government sponsored top juniors from Australia and many very good players from all over the world. My son is a solid 4.0 player and I'd have to say that most of the players were better than him. Some were very very good. They looked like they were soon ready to turn pro. So, pounding groundstrokes with all of these players that are better than you can definitely improve your game. My son's technique was slightly modified and improved. He learned to extend more through his stroke. Most of the work was done on clay courts. Kuznetzova was there training, but of course she was off training by herself with a personal coach. Don't expect to go there and receive the same professional level of training that other top juniors or pros receive. You'll just be one of the campers on the assembly line. I suppose all of these academies are similar.

Intermixed with the tennis training is about 3 hours of physical training. The makes for a full day of activity. How was the physical training? I'd have to say it was "Mickey Mouse" training. By that I mean that it was not very professional and was obviously meant to just keep the kids busy so that they wouldn't goof off. Believe me, my son has received years of professional physical training from former NBA trainers. He knows what true quality physical training is. This was not it. It was hard work, but it was not quality work. There is a difference. Most players could not do it. Many faked injury to get out of doing it. My son who has a fierce work ethic, was probably the only player who could complete the work.

The academy itself is a little dumpy. It is full of flies because it is next to a farm. The facilities are not as nice as they appear in the pictures.

Would he do it again? No. It was an interesting experience that he will always remember, but not something he would be interested in repeating.

TennisHC
08-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Hello
I too was wondering where tricky nicky's threads have disappeard.

My Child went to Sanchez last year for 3 weeks. Well, couldnt really see much improvement, then again it was in summer and lot of rich kids from all over the world are there, some are fairly low standard.

This summer for 2 weeks went to San Remo Italy, Bob Brett academy, pretty good, expensive, specially accomodation and food. Italians know how to charge. This academy is closed in August.

Last week my child went to J C Ferrero Academy (Equelite) in Spain, near Alicante. We are looking to decide in september, where to go for a full year. My child was not lucky enough to start at the age of 5 or 6 and is late bloomer.

We are going to give good one/two years some where at good academy, almost giving up education (doing some correspondence course), so obviously like any parent I want to send my child to the best academy. But its difficult choice, which one???

Like you say, if your child is not pro, then you could be at some court no. 17 hitting some drills.

Some body told me that in spain even if you pay for your academy fees, which by no means is cheap, if you want your child to get good training you have to pay for individual lessons. I have no idea how true is that.

My question is:- Has any one been to these academies for longer period, I would love to hear from some one.

There are lot of WTA top 200 players coming from Czech republic, where do they train.

Are there any other good academies in spain other than these big names.

forehander
08-04-2005, 03:45 PM
TennisHC, I'm not sure why you would have to virtually give up school. I think many of the academies, including Sanchez-Casal have an in house school for the kids. Although I could be mistaken.

I'm a big believer in private lessons. My son's game has improved dramatically with private lessons. But keep in mind, not all coaches are the same. I'm not sure if only group lessons in an academy would get you what you want.

Yondan
08-08-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not TennisHC, but I am a junior player that was looking into a long stay at an academy. I went up to Weil Tennis Academy in Ojai, California and spent a little while there and got to talk to some of the kids. The majority of the kids say that unless you are home schooled it is just too hard to keep school and tennis going at the same time and one student was leaving because he could not keep both up. I just graduated from high school and wish to play D I or D II college tennis but I am a year younger than my current school grade. I am taking about 3 to 4 months off beginning in september to train in Spain after that I will come back to the states and train with my coach and play USTA tournaments until school starts back up next September. I have been mainly looking at the Bruguera Tennis Academy because it looks very nice and I like Bruguera as a player.

telefone
02-19-2006, 03:48 AM
probable u were here long time ago! because im here now, and im loving it!!! and its great if u r here for tennis!

aquiarius
02-19-2006, 03:54 AM
I was at Sanchez Casal Tennis Academy last summer 2005. It was a great experience for me and my friends. We really enjoy the training every day and also all the activities on weekend. We could participate in tournaments close to Barcelona. The level in Spain is really good, you can train with different players from over the world and also with Spanish players, you can see that too at the tournaments.
At Sanchez Casal Academy we had 4 hours per day of tennis training and 1 hour of physical training ever day, also we did Spanish lessons.
The training was different that was I had so far, it has hard at the begining but you get used to.
For sure I will go again this summer 2006

telefone
02-19-2006, 03:55 AM
come on people!!!
s-c is the plave where u can go!!!

its nice,,, u can have fun, u practice ur tennis, ur fisical condition,,, and they have players from all ages,,, so,,, i woulg do there.

aquiarius
02-19-2006, 03:58 AM
forehand, at sanchez casal they have an american high school at the same facilities and also some players study on line

telefone
02-19-2006, 04:09 AM
hey mate!!!!

what r u trying to say, that ur son, who is 14 can realize that the fisical practice was not proffesional,,, was not a good quality,,, maybe u also know some more things,, how they have to work with the guys of 15 years old,,, u might know, ig they put toooo much ur son will never grow up and stuff like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ų can not say that!!!!!!

well,,, anyway, it is ur decision to send ur son there or no!!!!!!!!

i hopo ur son will do great in his future carrer!!!!!!!!

charlie8
03-19-2006, 03:22 PM
my sons aged 13 + 11 went to sanchez-casal last summer for 2wks and loved it. infact they're going again this summer for 3wks. it's very spanish style training, baseline drills etc and they did learn alot. but how much can anyone really improve in such a short period of time? they don't do stroke correction coz there's not enough time, but just drill on current strokes kid has. to see real improvement that lasts, you gotta go for 3mths at least at any academy. for a summer hols, 3wks-1mth is good enough for intermediate/tournament junior players, but when you get back home you gotta keep up the training everyday so the kids don't forget what they've learnt.
i have nothing against sanchez-casal for juniors but for adults it's not worth the bother at all.
anyone know about the itf academy in valencia?

forehander
03-20-2006, 09:58 PM
hey mate!!!!

what r u trying to say, that ur son, who is 14 can realize that the fisical practice was not proffesional,,, was not a good quality,,, maybe u also know some more things,, how they have to work with the guys of 15 years old,,, u might know, ig they put toooo much ur son will never grow up and stuff like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ù can not say that!!!!!!

well,,, anyway, it is ur decision to send ur son there or no!!!!!!!!

i hopo ur son will do great in his future carrer!!!!!!!!

Well, my son was 19 at the time and yes, he does know what "real" physical training is like. As I said before, he has worked with an NBA trainer since he was 13. I'll repeat it - the physical training at Sanchez-Casal is a joke. It was hard, but not quality. There is a difference. It was more like - ok do 50 pushups... oh, you're finished uhhh, well do 50 more... My son, who has a tremendous work ethic was the ONLY player that could complete it. What do you call that? I call it busy work. Everyone else just faked injury or cheated on the movements. Does that help them grow up? I'm not trying to put the academy down. He though it was a worthwhile experience. It's just not what it is hyped to be. The best part of it is being able to hit ground strokes every day (cause that's all the tennis training you'll do) with some very good players. You can't help but improve your groundstrokes doing that.

And thank you telefone, my son is doing quite well in his career.

austro
03-21-2006, 01:25 AM
I had booked to go SC in early April but after reading the thread here again I am now thinking of going to Bruguera. Already their website promises much more. I would really like to see some video analysis of my strokes and movement for once. When I asked SC on th ephone about it, they said "no, you just play". That sounded pretty symptomatic of their attitude and gels with what has been said here. There does not seem to be a lot of attention paid to adults (which I am). I looked at Equelite (TopTeam) but Barcelona as a location is much more attractive to me. I am only planning to do one week at this point.

I don't know about these new posters raving about SC but I am sceptical. Almost sounds like the academy itself posting here to lift their reputation. It may be good for kids/juniors but I don't think it is for what I am looking for (I am just an ambitious recretional player).

I wanted to check out Andres Gimeno too but their website has been down for weeks.

charlie8
03-21-2006, 06:35 AM
SC is good for a summer tennis camp for juniors who want to hit for hours and be consistent on ground strokes. it's really fun for kids (10 - 14yrs), I'd recommend it. but for adults ... forget it!!! i'm an intermediate/advance player and coach my kids. i decided to join the adult programme at SC so i could learn some different drills, techniques etc so I could apply them to when I coach my kids and also brush up on my strokes ... as well as get a good workout. I didn't get any of that!! Wrong decision and cost me alot of money!!! my coach just wasn't interested, was lazy, didn't move on court, hardly gave instructions and wasn't friendly. he told me I couldn't hit top spin, reduce my power, not to move around my backhand etc etc ... i came out of SC playing the worse tennis in 32 yrs!!! i wouldn't recommend SC for adults at all.

austro
03-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Does anyone have any news on the Andres Gimeno academy? Their website has been down for a while and the phone number I could find doesn't work either.

So SC is bad, Bruguera only for juniors, Equelite in the south... what's left?

Clifton A. Leonhardt
04-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Since I started this thread and my son recently returned from a stay at the Sanches-Casal academy, I thought I'd update you and give a review for anyone interested.

The main complaint about this camp is that it is VERY unorganized. Trainers and students were walking around clueless as to what to do and where to go. Eventually they would figure it out and students would be sent to a court to do some training.

How was the training? Well, I'd have to say it was mediocre. The instructors, besides being unorganized, showed that they were not really into what they were doing. Did my son learn anything? Yes, but it could have been so much better. He has a much better personal coach here at home. But it was an interesting experience and it gave him exposure to many very high level junior players.

What was the tennis training like? It was pounding ground strokes for three hours in the morning and playing out some sets with other students in the afternoon. There was no serve work and no volley work. It was all about ground strokes. My son's ground strokes did improve. You can't pound out ground strokes for 4 hours a day 6 days a week in a competitive environment and not improve. The quality of the players there was very high. There were government sponsored top juniors from Australia and many very good players from all over the world. My son is a solid 4.0 player and I'd have to say that most of the players were better than him. Some were very very good. They looked like they were soon ready to turn pro. So, pounding groundstrokes with all of these players that are better than you can definitely improve your game. My son's technique was slightly modified and improved. He learned to extend more through his stroke. Most of the work was done on clay courts. Kuznetzova was there training, but of course she was off training by herself with a personal coach. Don't expect to go there and receive the same professional level of training that other top juniors or pros receive. You'll just be one of the campers on the assembly line. I suppose all of these academies are similar.

Intermixed with the tennis training is about 3 hours of physical training. The makes for a full day of activity. How was the physical training? I'd have to say it was "Mickey Mouse" training. By that I mean that it was not very professional and was obviously meant to just keep the kids busy so that they wouldn't goof off. Believe me, my son has received years of professional physical training from former NBA trainers. He knows what true quality physical training is. This was not it. It was hard work, but it was not quality work. There is a difference. Most players could not do it. Many faked injury to get out of doing it. My son who has a fierce work ethic, was probably the only player who could complete the work.

The academy itself is a little dumpy. It is full of flies because it is next to a farm. The facilities are not as nice as they appear in the pictures.

Would he do it again? No. It was an interesting experience that he will always remember, but not something he would be interested in repeating.

Clifton A. Leonhardt
04-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Sanchez-Casal is great, for elite players as well as serious, non-elite players.

Tennis Lover 37
04-19-2006, 09:30 AM

I really want to know whether its worth it to train in Spain in June. I will be turning 17 and I am a female. I want to train in Spain and work on my forehand and fitness. Which academy will be best for me? SC or Bruguera?
Please let me know asap because I need to plan what to do.

Tennis Lover 37
04-19-2006, 09:32 AM
I really want to know whether its worth it to train in Spain in June. I will be turning 17 and I am a female. I want to train in Spain and work on my forehand and fitness. Which academy will be best for me? SC or Bruguera?

Tennis Lover 37
04-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi I really want to know whether its worth it to train in Spain in June. I will be turning 17 and I am a female. I want to train in Spain and work on my forehand and fitness. Which academy will be best for me? SC or Bruguera? is SC or Bruguera better?

forehander
04-21-2006, 06:08 PM
I can't help you with that decision. I've never been to Bruguera. I can only give my opinion of Sanchez-Casal.

forest
02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
HI Everybody

Any good tennis academy if you know in madrid. Please let me know OR how could I find one--- Really good one!

Alexio92
02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
What would be the best academy in spain for 2 weeks to a month for a 15 year old 3.5/4.0(From what I gather)??

fibresupex
02-27-2008, 04:19 AM
Alexio92 a good place to go is elitennis near barcelona, i have been there many times (going again at easter) they work with small groups of players and have great coaching staff

somebeast
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I need to bring this thread back to life .Im between going to equlite and bragurada and i might be accepted to catalnya tennis federation (very small chance) Which of these would be best for someone who is 22 and is an awesome college player?

You Can't Be Serious
12-09-2010, 01:26 PM
what academy is located in valencia, spain....i believe that is where maria kirilenko and other pros trains.

sanchez/casal is located in barcelona ?

which is better and why
thanks

worldtennis
02-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Not sure Bruguera will still be around after June. Spanish pros told me they've been having financial problems. The director Xavier is nice and it made it feel like a family, but prices are too high and there are other academies in Barcelona just as good (if not better) for much less. Elite is also good, but again, too much marketing for what they really offer.

Sanchez Casal is a marketing machine. I didn't care about it's coordinates being about an airport but I did care about the customer service. The gentleman on here did a surprise visit rightly so, but I had a set meeting and I still got terrible service. NO ONE came out and after 45 minutes I left. No problem, never again and but happy to tell people I had the same terrible service. More annoyed I took the time to go all the way there from Barcelona center.

If you want serious quality - head to Global Tennis Team on Mallorca. I went through Costa del Tennis (cheaper and they find you accommodation) cause I wanted a place in Palma for a month but if they have room I think you can board at the academy. No frills boarding but damn good food. Place is righteous serious & also like a family. They also have a camp in Barcelona with a competition school that's getting good reviews. The best players in Catalunia train there and at Global they spoke highly about this academy as well. Not the one in Gran Canaria though - that's for recreational. Good luck and have fun.

markiev37
02-20-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm going to PRO-AB tennis academy in barcelona for a week in april....prices are reasonable. checkout their website. been very professional with me.