PDA

View Full Version : "How Rafael Nadal Humbled Federer" by S.L. Price

VGP
05-14-2009, 01:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/sl_price/05/14/federer.nadal/index.html?eref=T1

I found this a very interesting read.

All-rounder
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
I think there is already a thread on this

VGP
05-14-2009, 01:50 PM
You're right. I just noticed that.

Again, excerpts were pulled out.

I encourage those interested to read the article in its entirety.

S.L. Price does a good job in trying to project a time line, but in the end it has an "obituary" feel to it.....

TheNatural
05-14-2009, 02:09 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/sl_price/05/14/federer.nadal/index.html?eref=T1

I found this a very interesting read.

I enjoyed that.That was brilliantly written. Cheers. :)

VGP
05-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks. I purposely didn't pull out selected quotes not to lead anyone (unlike where the other thread seems to be going).

Bhagi Katbamna
05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
He hasnt' humbled him yet. He's just beat him a lot.

Those tears at the end of the AO were the result of being humbled. And no, the pros that they quote aren't a bunch of Nadal fanboys. They're genuinely puzzled as to why Roger doesn't change tactics that aren't working.

rubberduckies
05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
The only good part of the article was the beginning where they talked about Federer's snide comments and disgusting egotism.
They stopped short of telling the full truth of how sports media spent so much of Fed's reign trying to excuse his horrible sportsmanship. Instead, they try to pretend that they couldn't call him out because he was winning.
Wrong! You can always call someone out for being a classless human being. Using victory to hide bad conduct is disgraceful. The same sports media nonsense happened when the steroids in baseball story first broke, or when the Patriots were discovered for cheating, or when Ray Lewis murdered people.

Roger Federer is the culmination of all those black marks on the sports world.

TheNatural
05-14-2009, 02:58 PM
You never fail to make me laugh... :shock:

Did you enjoy the article too or did he bring up too many points that hurt your feelings?;)

TheNatural
05-14-2009, 03:04 PM
The biggest thing that surprised me was that he didn't mention anything about Nadal's 07 being injury plagued and Fed winning Wimbledon 07 because Nadal busted his knee. He probably should have for completeness but I guess he got his points across fairly well anyways.

FEDEXP
05-14-2009, 03:06 PM
"They stopped short of telling the full truth of how sports media spent so much of Fed's reign trying to excuse his horrible sportsmanship." Rubberduckies

Hah, that's a good one.

danb
05-14-2009, 05:53 PM
The only good part of the article was the beginning where they talked about Federer's snide comments and disgusting egotism.
They stopped short of telling the full truth of how sports media spent so much of Fed's reign trying to excuse his horrible sportsmanship. Instead, they try to pretend that they couldn't call him out because he was winning.
Wrong! You can always call someone out for being a classless human being. Using victory to hide bad conduct is disgraceful. The same sports media nonsense happened when the steroids in baseball story first broke, or when the Patriots were discovered for cheating, or when Ray Lewis murdered people.

Roger Federer is the culmination of all those black marks on the sports world.

When he is not the top dog anymore media is growing a conscience... Welcome to corporate media. I never liked a guy who goes to the practice court with his hands in his pockets and another guy is caring his gear. Then all that - "I am sooo good/God ..."
Over the years I've seen cocky players but Roger is something special ...

mikeler
05-15-2009, 05:43 AM
That is an insightful article. The only disagreement I have with the author is when he writes:

"He has to hit more low, short slices to throw off Nadal's rhythm..."

Nadal eats slices for breakfast which is why Fed almost always comes over his backhand.

rafan
05-15-2009, 05:53 AM
When he is not the top dog anymore media is growing a conscience... Welcome to corporate media. I never liked a guy who goes to the practice court with his hands in his pockets and another guy is caring his gear. Then all that - "I am sooo good/God ..."
Over the years I've seen cocky players but Roger is something special ...

Does someone really carry his gear on practice courts?

matchmaker
05-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Interesting read. Adapt or fade away is the message toward Fed.

mikeler
05-15-2009, 07:18 AM

That would be an accurate summary.

MichaelChang
05-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Federer himself must have a plan/thoughts in his head. The world wants to see him change. But as far as it goes it seems Federer's plan is to stick to his original game.

CyBorg
05-15-2009, 07:41 AM
A good read and not just a regurgitation of popular opinions.

Very informative quotes from various people too - such as Wilander and Courier.

nikdom
05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Federer humbled Hewitt at the USO in 2004, Safin humbled Sampras at the USO 2000. Federer humbled many at the year end masters in 2003.

That's how the baton is passed on in Tennis. Doesn't mean he cannot win more majors or that it is somehow unusual.

As far as arrogant or self-important statements go, all number 1's are arrogant. You cannot be top dog in a world wide individual sport without having some appreciation of your own skills and talent. You can go back and parse statements for all the top players in the last 30 years and you'll find all sorts of 'arrogant' statements.

Tennisfans1
05-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Its time to put up or shut up Fed in a more agressive way whats it gonna be?

danb
05-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Its time to put up or shut up Fed in a more agressive way whats it gonna be?

Fed will rollover.

session404
05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
On March 30, at the Sony Ericsson Open at Key Biscayne, Fla., Nadal beat 74th-ranked Frederico Gil 7-5, 6-3, walked off the court and disappeared. Maymo waited in the locker room until Nadal showed 15 minutes later, steaming from a sprint on the elliptical trainer. "I wasn't happy with my play," he said, "so I punished myself."

I wonder what he does when he loses..

ignigena
05-15-2009, 04:24 PM

agree 10 chart

ignigena
05-15-2009, 04:24 PM
On March 30, at the Sony Ericsson Open at Key Biscayne, Fla., Nadal beat 74th-ranked Frederico Gil 7-5, 6-3, walked off the court and disappeared. Maymo waited in the locker room until Nadal showed 15 minutes later, steaming from a sprint on the elliptical trainer. "I wasn't happy with my play," he said, "so I punished myself."

I wonder what he does when he loses..

sure its disgusting but effective. ^^