PDA

View Full Version : Monfils returns next week

shadows
05-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Heard this mentioned during commentary today and it's up on the tennis.com ticker

Gael Monfils is scheduled to make his return from knee injuries at the 1er Masters Guinot-Mary Cohr exhibition event in Paris next week, indicating that he plans to play the French Open.

figured it'd be of interest to quite a few people, I know I'm happy about it at any rate. I hope he's not rushed things and is a force to be reckoned with at RG!

Gugafan
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Great news. He is the French hope at RG, a big crowd favourite because of his charisma and run to the semi finals last year.

He is going to be tough to beat over 5 sets, if he can get the crowd going and use his superior defensive skills.

Alot will be depend if he has fully recovered from the injury.

norbac
05-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Good to hear, Gael is always fun to watch. Plus he will be a big threat come Roland Garros.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Good to hear, Gael is always fun to watch. Plus he will be a big threat come Roland Garros.

I'd love to see him do this on clay. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG-i8t8t980)

TennisNinja
05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Cool, just in time for clay.

NickC
05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Hopefully he does one better this year than last year. He might not have the game, but he sure does have the physical tools to go toe-to-toe with Nadal on any surface. Monfils is a freak (in a good way) and I think he could give Nadal a real test this time around on the clay. Not win, but take a set or two, and to think, he's only 20 or 21. He's got a bright future ahead of him.

norbac
05-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd love to see him do this on clay. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG-i8t8t980)

He's definitely gotta be more aggressive if he wants to go even deeper than last year.

Gugafan
05-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Hopefully he does one better this year than last year. He might not have the game, but he sure does have the physical tools to go toe-to-toe with Nadal on any surface. Monfils is a freak (in a good way) and I think he could give Nadal a real test this time around on the clay. Not win, but take a set or two, and to think, he's only 20 or 21. He's got a bright future ahead of him.

I actuallly think Monfils shades Nadal in terms of movement on clay, with the added height advantage and raw athleticism. He is actually 22, but that is still relatively young for a player who is improving all the time. Being one of the higher seeds, he is likely to get a favourable draw in the first week. If he is able to string together a few wins in the early rounds, he could certainly pose a threat to the very best on clay.

Dilettante
05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Great news, I want to see him play again.

Gugafan
05-14-2009, 05:24 PM
He's definitely gotta be more aggressive if he wants to go even deeper than last year.

He was able to make the semis last year by playing as a defensive counterpuncher. The courts at RG, play relatively slow making it very difficult to overpower a fast counterpuncher.

Monfils has matured from last year, he is certainly capable of stepping it up if needed. (click link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujW-5CfTreQ