PDA

View Full Version : Verdasco underusing his serve.

Cesc Fabregas
05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Verdasco is seriously underusing his serve he goes for the kicker 80% of the time when he has the ability to hit flat bombs, he should go for the big serve more often anyone else agree?

jrachiever
05-14-2009, 04:09 PM
I believe it was a strategic change he made at least two or three years ago and it seems to be doing well for him. He may want to revisit his strategy at some point, but if I recall correctly he had mental problems with double faults and such, so it's one of those situations where really a player has to do determine what he's most comfortable with.

ls206
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
I think his serve is pretty damn good - it's one of those things you never really pick up on because it's not talked about a lot (e.g. by commentators).

rubberduckies
05-14-2009, 05:18 PM
He said that a few years ago he lost confidence in his second serve.
His solution was to take far less risk on his first to hide his second.
Since then, he has led the tour in first serve percentage at least once (and I think in 07 as well).
I think it was a good decision for him.

bolo
05-14-2009, 06:06 PM
He said that a few years ago he lost confidence in his second serve.
His solution was to take far less risk on his first to hide his second.
Since then, he has led the tour in first serve percentage at least once (and I think in 07 as well).
I think it was a good decision for him.

hey that's what I was going to write. Big power and spin on the 1st serve when I saw it live in 2005.

wihamilton
05-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Verdasco is seriously underusing his serve he goes for the kicker 80% of the time when he has the ability to hit flat bombs, he should go for the big serve more often anyone else agree?

Yes. Serving big is what got him one set away from the AO final.