PDA

View Full Version : cahill

bolo
05-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Looks like cahill is in madrid working with verdasco. Did he sign on full time? Is he going to be there at the FO?

jamesblakefan#1
05-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I think they said on the broadcast the other day that they work together often and this is nothing new. So Cahill isn't his permanent coach, just for clay. Which is why I don't see why he didn't work with you know who.

bolo
05-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I think they said on the broadcast the other day that they work together often and this is nothing new. So Cahill isn't his permanent coach, just for clay. Which is why I don't see why he didn't work with you know who.

from the way you describe it sounds like he will stay with him through RG. That will be interesting, hopefully cahill is still a commentator and we can get some inside stuff on verdasco.

jamesblakefan#1
05-14-2009, 08:51 PM
I think he's still a commentator, from what I know. He's the best that ESPN has, by far.

theduh
05-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Cahill has joined the Adidas training/coaching program to help "Adidas" sponsored pros. For me this is the only reason why Cahill is working with Nando.

West Coast Ace
05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I think they said on the broadcast the other day that they work together often and this is nothing new. So Cahill isn't his permanent coach, just for clay. Which is why I don't see why he didn't work with you know who.Yeah. Cahill is only interested in part time gigs so he can still do commentating and see his family. That's the reason he's not Fed's coach right now.

35ft6
05-14-2009, 11:20 PM
He's been a high profile coach for a while now, starting with Hewitt then Agassi, and this whole time, never read anything that stated specifically what he brings to the table. I'm sure he's done plenty, and he has a great reputation, but what is he known for? What was he specifically responsible for mentally, strategically, or technically for anybody he's coached?

jamesblakefan#1
05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
^^^ It's kinda hard to pinpoint that about any coach, really. It's not as though these guys see things in the player's games that others dont, IMO. It's all about how well you are at delivering the message and babysitting these guys egos, really. Think about it. Paul Annacone coached Pete Sampras, then Henman. You'd think people'd be clamoring for him, if he was a big reason for those guys' success. But he wasn't, for the most part. Pete'd still have 14 slams, so it really comes down to talent.

Coaches are somewhat overatted, to a certain degree, IMO. Another example would be Roche and Federer. Roche may have helped Fed, but he wasn't the reason he took his game to GOAT standards, IMO. That's just my opinion on coaches at the pro level.

35ft6
05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
^^^ It's kinda hard to pinpoint that about any coach, really.But you do hear things. Like the most famous example is how Brad got Agassi to stop pulling the trigger whenever he felt like it and concentrating on higher percentage shots. Or Larry Stefanki getting Gonzo to slice his backhand when in trouble instead of going for an all or nothing drive. Brad and Larry, in general, it seems they're best known for taking incredibly talented ball strikers with too many options, and a gamblers instinct, to play higher percentage. Higueras supposedly tried to change Fed's forehand stance.

Even if it's not substantiated or just rumor, I have heard about about things other coaches tried to get their charges to do, but never read anything about Cahill. And I'm not saying he's the only coach, just saying he's pretty high profile, very respected, and this thread is about him, and I just don't know what he offers a player.

bolo
05-15-2009, 07:21 AM
But you do hear things. Like the most famous example is how Brad got Agassi to stop pulling the trigger whenever he felt like it and concentrating on higher percentage shots. Or Larry Stefanki getting Gonzo to slice his backhand when in trouble instead of going for an all or nothing drive. Brad and Larry, in general, it seems they're best known for taking incredibly talented ball strikers with too many options, and a gamblers instinct, to play higher percentage. Higueras supposedly tried to change Fed's forehand stance.

Even if it's not substantiated or just rumor, I have heard about about things other coaches tried to get their charges to do, but never read anything about Cahill. And I'm not saying he's the only coach, just saying he's pretty high profile, very respected, and this thread is about him, and I just don't know what he offers a player.

Stefanki also supposedly got henman to go more high % on his 1st serves. I know what you mean about cahill. One thing you did notice during cahill's time with agassi was that agassi totally bulked down (at least for a little while), to help with an injury I believe. That's the only specific thing I can think off that cahill might have done with agassi. But who knows agassi/reyes might have done that anyway.

When commenting on matches cahill sounds pretty reasonable to me, makes reasonable picks-unlike gilbert, who is all hyperbole at this point (but still entertaining given his enthusisasm).