PDA

View Full Version : Why does liking one player mean hating another one?

gzhpcu
05-14-2009, 10:59 PM
We all have our favorites. But why be venomous against his opponents? Don't get it?:confused:

Why this Federer - Nadal polarity? Liking one or the other is fine, but why all the venom against the other?

They are both great players -be happy we have them...

Safinator_1
05-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Just like on a tennis court there has to be a loser and a winner. 1 can not co exist with the other. As some people say it 'This forums not big enough for the both of them'

OddJack
05-14-2009, 11:10 PM
You can call it hate, but it's not actually, at least for most it's not. Most of what you see is a reaction to posts by people who praise their players to the extreme and belittling the other. Me for one do the same thing sometimes and I dont hate Nadal, infact there are things that I like about him alot.

skip1969
05-15-2009, 07:14 AM
yin, yang . . . good, evil . . . the force, the dark side . . . hero, villian . . . elephant, donkey . . . tom, jerry . . . itchy, scratchy . . .

gj011
05-15-2009, 07:23 AM
yin, yang . . . good, evil . . . the force, the dark side . . . hero, villian . . . elephant, donkey . . . tom, jerry . . . itchy, scratchy . . .

Exactly. Federer is evil and the dark side.

Figjam
05-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Because this is the internet, and what do 13yr olds, and people STILL acting like 13yr olds have better to do? Since they obviously suck at actually playing(because anyone who can actually play, could never say someone with multiple championships, ranked in the top 5 in the world, SUCKS) again unless you have the mental capcity of a 13yr old, no offense to any 13yr olds out there,

Heck, take all the offense you want, we'll make more!

ilikephobo
05-15-2009, 07:54 AM
i like them both. Fed vs Nadal is fun and interesting to watch no matter who wins.

pabletion
05-15-2009, 07:58 AM
We all have our favorites. But why be venomous against his opponents? Don't get it?:confused:

Because theyre 12? Naah, seriously, its the love of the public for a heroe and his nemesis, it happens in all sports, specially team sports, there is always ONE rival that you love to hate. In my particular case, Ive never hated another player. I enjoy the greatness of Federer, even though Im a Nadal fan, but sometimes I get nothing more to do than to stand in awe at Fed, and just go "wow". In the past, I always cheered against Sampras, and for Agassi, but when Sampras was no longer dominant, I kinda wanted him to win again, and was very glad to see him walk away with that US Open title, even though I wanted my man AA to take it.... I guess I thought Andre would win a couple more of those afterwards, didnt count on that little Federer brat to school him all the way down to chinatown..............

Tennisfans1
05-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Simple Sampras is better than Fed but people don't like it when i say that

skip1969
05-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Exactly. Federer is evil and the dark side.
well, that's not exactly what i meant. more like, sometimes polarization and lack of cooperation is . . . if not unavoidable . . . inevitable. on here, some people live for it.

seffina
05-15-2009, 08:04 AM
It's simply a lack of class and an abundance of class without the cl.

RalphNYC
05-15-2009, 08:07 AM
It's not just tennis. Sports fans are very devoted to their teams and have a lot of not-so-nice feelings towards the opposition. It goes back to the social structure of humanity. We formed clans to survive, that led to formation of language and cultural differences. It goes back a long way.

theduh
05-15-2009, 08:14 AM
You can have favorite player and not so favorite one, but it doesn't equate that you have to hate one, I would say least like. I'm a Fed fan but I don't hate Nadal at all.

Just sad that some fans or should I say 'FANATICS' bring fanhood into a new level that you must hate the opposing player(s).

Tennisfans1
05-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Meh if you stoop to their level your just as bad as they are

NickC
05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
It's not hate. It's just stupid fanboys and fangirls spouting off nonsensical BS, and should be treated/viewed as such, and nothing more.

I like Federer. I like his style of play and the fact that he re-wrote the shotmaking book. His technique is flawless. I like Nadal. I like how he goes 110% every point and never gives up and always gives his all to any opponent, and tries to get every ball back. I like it how he still has a love for the game and is always respectful towards his opponents and doesn't run off his mouth like some other players.

There, was that so hard? No.

vtmike
05-15-2009, 09:03 AM
It's not hate. It's just stupid fanboys and fangirls spouting off nonsensical BS, and should be treated/viewed as such, and nothing more.

I like Federer. I like his style of play and the fact that he re-wrote the shotmaking book. His technique is flawless. I like Nadal. I like how he goes 110% every point and never gives up and always gives his all to any opponent, and tries to get every ball back. I like it how he still has a love for the game and is always respectful towards his opponents and doesn't run off his mouth like some other players.

There, was that so hard? No.

Pretty good! I agree!

RalphNYC
05-15-2009, 09:05 AM
It's not just sports. Look at religions! Look at school spirit! Look race! Look at jingoism (aggressive pride in one's country)! It's all the same thing.

CCNM
05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't hang out in many sports chat rooms but I've been to Federer's, and those fans (mostly women) are "whack jobs"!!! Get a life!!!!:) No offense to any of them who may be hanging around here as well. Rafa's fans seem to be pretty normal.

seffina
05-15-2009, 09:17 AM
All fanbases are the same. Some of the player's fans are smart, some are whackjobs, some are average. Just saying one fanbase is crazier, better, smarter, blonder, whatever than the other is defeating the purpose of this thread.

ignigena
05-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Quite simplistic manichaean perspective imho.

svijk
05-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Oh come on OP, what are you hoping to hear. This is just human nature seen not only in tennis but other sports and life in general. You ask a very profound question which nobody can answer, go get a hug from someone you love.

fedtastic
05-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I like Federer's beautiful, fluid, aggressive, elegant, flawless game. I like players who resemble Fed's game. I don't hate Nadal who is almost the opposite of Federer, with his grinding, grunting, butt picking, time wasting, moonballing, defensive, ugly game. I just don't like him as much as Fed. I certainly don't hate any players.

CHOcobo
05-15-2009, 08:04 PM
because the hating player is terminating the liking player.

skip1969
05-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Quite simplistic manichaean perspective imho.
flatterer.

slicekick95
05-15-2009, 08:59 PM
I think that most of us enjoy tennis from both Fed and Nadal. However, there are a few "*******s" and "*******s" who contaminate the population.

deltox
05-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I think that most of us enjoy tennis from both Fed and Nadal. However, there are a few "*******s" and "*******s" who contaminate the population.

only time i like watching either this year is when they play each other. most times i wish and hope to see more early round coverage from the lower ranked guys. thats where most the best matches can be found this year.

Nadal_Freak
05-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Well Fed fans are bitter about Nadal beating their hero so much. Nadal fans just don't like Fed's big ego and arrogance and borderline snobbish attitude.

Winners or Errors
05-15-2009, 09:04 PM
It doesn't.

deltox
05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Nadal fans just don't like Fed's big ego and arrogance and borderline snobbish attitude.

nadal fans cant be described the same way about their attitudes?

Ripster
05-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I've never understood this at the TTW forums. It seems like every Federer fan REALLY dislikes Nadal and always wants him to lose and vice versa. It's true that Nadal and Federer are VERY different players but no need to hate on a player. These two are great champions.

TheTruth
05-16-2009, 12:56 PM

hilarious post, really liked this part!

Shaolin
05-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Well Fed fans are bitter about Nadal beating their hero so much. Nadal fans just don't like Fed's big ego and arrogance and borderline snobbish attitude.

I think intelligent, well adjusted people can like any player and just simply appreciate good tennis.

Then there are people like the above poster quoted.