PDA

View Full Version : Slam Federer versus Masters Exfed

AprilFool
05-14-2009, 11:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWgG54L40l0&feature=related

Granted he's not playing Murray or Novak in this video but I don't think it would have mattered anyway. His play at the slams is in another league compared to his recent Masters performances. The pattern of dominating the first set and then losing the next two sets is also missing in his slam play.

BorisBeckerFan
05-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Why do you think this is? I think the poor performances in masters events will start creeping into the slams. I'd rather he came into the slams with the confidence of some recent tourneys under his belt.

Chelsea_Kiwi
05-14-2009, 11:14 PM

Granted he's not playing Murray or Novak in this video but I don't think it would have mattered anyway. His play at the slams is in another league compared to his recent Masters performances. The pattern of dominating the first set and then losing the next two sets is also missing in his slam play. Yes its shocking those that deny Fed plays better at Slams then in Masters.

Bud
05-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Yes its shocking those that deny Fed plays better at Slams then in Masters.

IMO, his performance over the last 18-24 months shows me he's simply going after the GS record and doesn't really care about tennis, in general any longer.

AprilFool
05-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Why do you think this is? I think the poor performances in masters events will start creeping into the slams. I'd rather he came into the slams with the confidence of some recent tourneys under his belt.

Good question! Lack of interest? The pattern stared before the Australian so I don't believe it will "creep in" to his slam play. However, if it does begin to happen at slams I would think it's basically over for him, sorry to say.

Bud
05-14-2009, 11:18 PM

I agree with you. I don't think Federer has fully realized this, yet.

His draws are going to get progressively tougher as he slides down the rankings. He'll be playing better opponents earlier... and the further he slides, the less intimidating he'll be to the lower level players... who will put up much more of a fight.

The days of easy wins are coming to an end for Federer.

AprilFool
05-14-2009, 11:20 PM
IMO, his performance over the last 18-24 months shows me he's simply going after the GS record and doesn't really care about tennis, in general any longer.

I partially agree but I think he's just burnt out after being on tour and dominating for so long. The Masters events just aren't as important .

Bud
05-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I partially agree but I think he's just burnt out after being on tour and dominating for so long. The Masters events just aren't as important .

How is this partially agreeing? It seems you're in full agreement.

BorisBeckerFan
05-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree with you. I don't think Federer has fully realized this, yet.

His draws are going to get progressively tougher as he slides down the rankings. He'll be playing better opponents earlier... and the further he slides, the less intimidating he'll be to the lower level players... who will put up much more of a fight.

The days of easy wins are coming to an end for Federer.

I hope he can turn it around. It would not be good for Fed to slide down the rankings as being a top seed is your best chance for an easy draw.

AprilFool
05-14-2009, 11:30 PM
How is this partially agreeing? It seems you're in full agreement.

Sorry. To clarify I meant to add that I don't believe he is no longer interested in Tennis. I think that back injury scared him last year, as it should, and he's not going to go at a Master event playing at full throttle.

On the other hand you could be correct and he just wants the record.

fed_the_savior
05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
i missed that match... what a slaughter... wish he played with that energy in the final..

rubberduckies
05-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Yeah, that was an extremely impressive performance he put on against Del Potro. Fedfans should definitely watch that match in its entirety if they want to see Fed domination.

But let's not get carried away. He did go down 0-2 against Berdych and admitted he was beat until Berdych's level dropped considerably. If that had happened in a MS, he would be gone.

Also, Fed could not have played that way against Nadal. He is not able to control points against Rafa consistently. He cannot control direction. He cannot dictate play against Nadal because Rafa doesn't allow him that luxury.

It will be interesting in the coming months to see how Federer fares against Novak and Andy in the slams. It will probably happen.

P_Agony
05-15-2009, 02:05 AM

Granted he's not playing Murray or Novak in this video but I don't think it would have mattered anyway. His play at the slams is in another league compared to his recent Masters performances. The pattern of dominating the first set and then losing the next two sets is also missing in his slam play.

I don't think it's a slams vs. Masters thing as much as it's a confidence thing. Federer knew Del Potro had nothing on him, as their H2H suggests. Look at Federer's performence at the Masters. Other than in Monte Carlo, Fed didn't perform badly at all up until he had to face a top 4 player. Even in those matches, Fed usually plays a brilliant 1st set, and then his confidence goes on vacation, and his game drops accordingly. It's spreading to the slams already. Look at the AO 2009 final. With all credit to Rafa, Federer didn't play as well as he did in the Del Potro match. He practically gave up in the 5th set. He had about a billion chances to break in the 3rd set. He was up a break twice in the 1st set.

It's clear to me that against the top players, Federer cannot be on the lead. Everytime he's leading by a break, a set, or even a game, he losses his mind.

AprilFool
05-15-2009, 02:58 AM
I don't think it's a slams vs. Masters thing as much as it's a confidence thing. Federer knew Del Potro had nothing on him, as their H2H suggests. Look at Federer's performence at the Masters. Other than in Monte Carlo, Fed didn't perform badly at all up until he had to face a top 4 player. Even in those matches, Fed usually plays a brilliant 1st set, and then his confidence goes on vacation, and his game drops accordingly. It's spreading to the slams already. Look at the AO 2009 final. With all credit to Rafa, Federer didn't play as well as he did in the Del Potro match. He practically gave up in the 5th set. He had about a billion chances to break in the 3rd set. He was up a break twice in the 1st set.

It's clear to me that against the top players, Federer cannot be on the lead. Everytime he's leading by a break, a set, or even a game, he losses his mind.

Good points. I also noticed a few times that after he has blown a lead and he's basically lost the match he tends to go into god mode for a few games in the final set.
In the Del Potro match he is clearly relaxed and moving like old Fed. His problems of late are almost certainly from a psychological foible.

Lotto
05-15-2009, 04:18 AM
Watching that video there is NO DOUBT that Federer "tries" waaaaaaaay harder at the slams.....looking at that I think it's clear now that all Federer cares about is the slam record....he doesn't care about winning masters, being no.1, winning small tournaments, all he wants is the slams.....I may be wrong but what will prove me right will be Roland Garros and Wimbledon....if he performs there even though he's playing "badly" now then it will prove it that all he wants is slams.....