PDA

View Full Version : how good will santoro do against top college players?

halalula1234
05-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Since hes a different type of player and i love to watch him. I want to know how well he would do against the top college players? what do u guys think.

i have no answer my self :P im clueless thats why im asking.

Fedace
05-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Santoro will WIN 6-0 6-1. College guys just isn't talented enough to stay with the Genius of Santoro...

yellowoctopus
05-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Santoro will WIN 6-0 6-1. College guys just isn't talented enough to stay with the Genius of Santoro...

Fully agree. Most college players don't have the mental game to match Santoro's ability to make his opponent 'play badly'.

sh@de
05-15-2009, 05:49 AM
6-0 6-1 or 6-0 6-0?

MAX PLY
05-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Crush by Fabrice against most college players--the top guys (i.e., those gunning for the NCAA championship) would likely take some games however. A more amusing spectacle would be Fabrice against someone on the WTA tour--the errors and confusion he would coax out of the robot league would be hilarious.

The Pure One
05-15-2009, 06:25 AM
Put it this way, in 1997, when Pete Sampras was no. 1, Santoro gave him a spank in his behind in Monte Carlo defeating him 6-1, 6-1. Santoro has too much experience and a bag full of tricks for most college players.

Underhand
05-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Why would Santoro play with college players...

BorisBeckerFan
05-15-2009, 07:22 AM

Exactly. Was this thread meant as a joke? The gap between college players and and the guys just playing challengers is already huge. Santoro would kick their teeth in.

Fedace
05-15-2009, 07:28 AM

I think he meant as what if ?? cause Santoro doesn't hit the ball very hard so maybe some people figure college guys has a chance ? but Santoro is just too fast and too talented. Nothing that college guys can do can hurt Santoro.. with Maybe a exception of Alex Clayton???:)

NickC
05-15-2009, 07:35 AM
with Maybe a exception of Alex Clayton???:)

The question was how the top (as in the best of the best) college players would do against Santoro. They'd get crushed. And based off his form as of late (especially from yesterday; does that bring back any painful memories, Feddie?), Clayton is nowhere near being considered among one of the top collegiate players in the nation. Clayton would be lucky to amass more than 5 points through the course of the entire match, he'd come nowhere near winning a game or a set, let alone a match. You're out of your mind.

NamRanger
05-15-2009, 07:35 AM
I think he meant as what if ?? cause Santoro doesn't hit the ball very hard so maybe some people figure college guys has a chance ? but Santoro is just too fast and too talented. Nothing that college guys can do can hurt Santoro.. with Maybe a exception of Alex Clayton???:)

Clayton got 4 and 3ed by Somdev. He's got no prayer.

KoolBeans
05-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Santoro doesnt hit very hard if compared to atp PROS but if he were playing top college players. They would get absolutely crushed. No question.

*bows down to Santoro*

BorisBeckerFan
05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
If we're looking for exceptions it would have to be someone who's good enough to play proffessionaly but decided to go to college instead. Say a young up and commer like Dimitrov all of sudden said hey I 'm going to college. I'd still give the edge to Santoro but Dimitrov did give Nadal a hell of fight considering he's a teenager.

tacou
05-15-2009, 08:23 AM
like others have said Santoro by a long shot. in my opinion they'd actually have less of a chance against fabrice than say sam querry (who would still destroy them) because most college players haven't really found "their game" yet or know the subtle nuances of tennis, which the magician has clearly mastered.

jrachiever
05-15-2009, 08:26 AM
The very top college players, at least of the last couple years, typically play at level equivalent to about #100-400 in the ATP rankings. I don't know that there's much else to it. Santoro would be a substantial favorite against every one. If you had Santoro play a season for a top NCAA team, he'd lose some sets and probably even a couple matches, but he'd be a pretty dominant #1 in the nation if I were to guess.

mental midget
05-15-2009, 09:36 AM
what are they going to throw at him that he hasn't seen a better version of, a thousand times before?

a guy with some real power, swinging for the fences and serving out of his mind, might manage a vaguely competitive scoreline, but i don't see a victory happening.

Max G.
05-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Skill is skill. Right now, even at the tail end of his career, at 37 years old, he's still at the level of a top challenger player/low-level ATP player. That's still better than a college player, most of whom would struggle in the challengers even.

Now, some might give him a fight. Isner jumped from college straight to pro and did fine, so perhaps in his last year he could have given a good match to the near-retirement Santoro. But Santoro would still be a heavy favorite against even the best players, and would give out bagels and breadsticks routinely to all but the best of them.

woodrow1029
05-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Santoro by at least 2 breaks per set..

raygo
05-15-2009, 03:53 PM
1) Ask Safin, former World #1, about his thoughts on this subject.

2) Prepare to dodge flying racquet.

rubberduckies
05-15-2009, 04:25 PM
It isn't automatic for Santoro, nor do I think he'd be heavily favored.

Kevin Anderson beat Novak Djokovic last year.
John Isner has beaten Tommy Haas and Gael Monfils, and taken a set off Federer.
Somdev Devvarman beat Carlos Moya.

It isn't an automatic win for 37-year-old Santoro against top college players, and it certainly isn't likely to be a double-bagel.

35ft6
05-15-2009, 05:04 PM
You're asking how a top college player would do against the 43rd guy ranked in the world? Pretty poorly.

And even worse against somebody like Santoro. They've never played anybody like Santoro. They would lose their minds. It would be ugly. Gulbis and Acasuso are right in front and behind Santoro in the rankings, and they would spank a top college player badly too, but it would be relatively straight forward being outhit. The college player would watch winners go by and understand what's happening. Against Santoro, they wouldn't necessarily understand what's going on.

heftylefty
05-15-2009, 11:49 PM
1) Ask Safin, former World #1, about his thoughts on this subject.

2) Prepare to dodge flying racquet.

Thanks for the laugh!! That's was very funny!

Bloodshed
05-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Anybody who thinks College players would win a few games vs Santoro are out of their minds.

This guy might not have much power but he's possibly the most consistent player I've ever seen (he makes like at most 20 UEs). And for someone who makes little to no errors and he's against probably a headcase College player, forget it.

Tuna match for Santoro without even trying hard : 6-0 6-0

OliverSimon
05-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Santoro has been winning challengers and is #40 in the world. Nuff said

35ft6
05-16-2009, 01:16 PM
The very top college players, at least of the last couple years, typically play at level equivalent to about #100-400 in the ATP rankings.And only 1 guy might be top 200 quality. Two years ago, there was Kevin Anderson, Somdev, and Isner, so arguably 3 top 250 quality singles players, but you can be ranked 600 or 800 in ATP ranking and be a top 5 D-1 singles stud.

35ft6
05-16-2009, 01:26 PM
like others have said Santoro by a long shot. in my opinion they'd actually have less of a chance against fabrice than say sam querry (who would still destroy them) because most college players haven't really found "their game" yet or know the subtle nuances of tennis, which the magician has clearly mastered.And they are really immature compared to pros mentally. They don't know how to turn fear and nerves into something positive. And their point construction, compared to the pros, like you said, is almost non-existent generally speaking, they're mostly hitting. I watched Alex Kim play a journeyman pro at the US Open qualies the year after he won his second NCAA singles title and the dude was toying with him. He lost 1 and 1 and the other guy was often surprised a shot turned out to be a winner. The spots the pro could hit, the shot patterns, just completely confused Alex that day.

chief wiggum
05-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Santoro could probably beat any of them without doing anything but slicing.

Fliparoni
05-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Speaking of how Santoro would do against top college players, he currently has a 1-0 h2h against Isner, beating him in straight sets at the AO '08 last year.