PDA

View Full Version : Do Spain deserve a Grandslam event???? Especially over France?

Tennis_Maestro
05-15-2009, 10:48 AM
They give so much to the game:

Talented tennis player's, i think there are over nearly 20 Spanish player's in the top 100, that is a ridiculous stat for one country as average in size as them.

Their crowds and supporters are much better than that of the English, French, Australian and American.

They possess some of the best academies around the World, academies that are most successful in producing top draw tennis professionals.

Hardly rains in Spain.

SempreSami
05-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Their crowds and supporters are much better than that of the English, French, Australian and American.

Yeah, especially the ones who black up :roll:

Tennis_Maestro
05-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Come again?

Spain is the Tennis capital of the World, how can you even try denying it.

oneleggedcardinal
05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I take it the OP was watching the Verdasco-Nadal match and heard the commentator say something about this?

JRstriker12
05-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Spain is currently a tennis hot spot- but that doesn't mean they deserve a Grand Slam.

The locations of the Grand Slams seemed to be more based on tradition and history. Seeing that the French open is more than 100 years old, and the legacy of the French in tennis history, I don't see that Grand Slam going anywhere.

Nanshiki
05-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I think Rafa was quoted as saying "there are four grand slams."

tudwell
05-15-2009, 11:26 AM
France invented tennis. No way.

Tennis_Maestro
05-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Spain is currently a tennis hot spot- but that doesn't mean they deserve a Grand Slam.

The locations of the Grand Slams seemed to be more based on tradition and history. Seeing that the French open is more than 100 years old, and the legacy of the French in tennis history, I don't see that Grand Slam going anywhere.

I appreciate that but its good for a change, i believe it would spice up the tennis world and draw a lot more viewers in.

The French crowd are annoying and way too partizan. Your right tho, the chances of it happening are little to none.

Tennis_Maestro
05-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I take it the OP was watching the Verdasco-Nadal match and heard the commentator say something about this?

Indeed i did and i always wondered why there wasn't.

deltox
05-15-2009, 12:03 PM
spain may well be up there in rights to a slam, but they would in no way get it over france. and by numbers Russian territories have the most top players atm in both WTA and ATP top 100s

Marc The Shark
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
The French crowd are annoying and way too partizan.....

And the Spanish crowds aren't???

Cenc
05-15-2009, 12:45 PM
who cares except spanish tennis fans? but they have a clay MS now so...

gj011
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
You don't mess with GSs. There are 4 GS tournaments, one in Australia, one in France, one in UK, one in US, and it should stay that way.

You don't change or add GSs based on current players success.

Leonidas
05-15-2009, 01:14 PM
You don't mess with GSs. There are 4 GS tournaments, one in Australia, one in France, one in UK, one in US, and it should stay that way.

You don't change or add GSs based on current players success.
yeah, otherwise 50% of the grand slams should be played in spain now ;)

JRstriker12
05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I appreciate that but its good for a change, i believe it would spice up the tennis world and draw a lot more viewers in.

The French crowd are annoying and way too partizan. Your right tho, the chances of it happening are little to none.

Draw more viewers than a event with more than a century of history in Tennis? Don't think so.

It would bee seen as a fake grand slam.

I can't comment on the French crowd - but they seem to appreciate thier tennis and it's a very popular event.

gsquicksilver
05-15-2009, 01:38 PM
France invented tennis. No way.

u sure about that? :rolleyes:

Cenc
05-15-2009, 01:53 PM
u sure about that? :rolleyes:

as far as i know tennis was invented in france
correct me if im wrong but there was some game with tiny rackets played in their castles already in the time of the king of sun (lewis the 14th)
then there appeared the word tenez, right? like ball game so english people changed it into tennis
as well as there appeared the word "love" for 0 because there was some word l'euf or something (my french isnt good at all :D) that meant egg or something and 0 on the scoreboard reminded them of an egg
and of course english changed it to love
and 1st rules were written in the 19th century in england by some man whose name i forgot :P
and in the earliest years lines were getting longer from the net to the baseline right?

im not sure whether this is the story but i think i read somewhere that it was like that
can anyone confirm?

120mphBodyServe
05-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Leave the Grand Slams alone...
We don't have to change anything...

All-rounder
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
yeah, otherwise 50% of the grand slams should be played in spain now ;)
Or Switzerland ;)

Leonidas
05-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Or Switzerland ;)
Switerland?are u kidding? Federer+wawrinka, thatīs all.

Spain: Nadal (1), verdasco (8), Ferrer (former top 10), Robredo (15 or so, former top 10), Almagro (20 or so), Lopez (30 or so), Ferrero (former n1), Moya (former n1).................... plus, former players: Corretja, Bruguera, Santana, A. Costa, all of them grand slam winners.

Enough?